PDA

View Full Version : Kind of an interesting peek behind the AP Poll

ZagNative
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
AP College Poll Voters (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/external/onlinenews.ap.org/collegebasketball_m_rankings/voters.php?SITE=AP)

I checked out how a couple of the writers voted, starting with Seth Davis. Oh, Seth, Seth, Seth ... #20! Man, we hardly knew you. Figure if old Seth bombed us with a #20, a lot of those voters voted us quite a bit higher, to bring us up to our average of #14, same as the Coaches' Poll.

Here's the actual AP Poll, which was pulished Nov. 2, on the CBSSportsline site (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls). Looks like Parrish's poll is still the one he published October 15.

zagsdan86
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Out of curiosity, I looked at each of them. There were three at #8, a couple at #9, 5 of them at #10. Most of the rest were in the teens, with #15 being the most popular rank. 5 of the voters left us out of their top 25s.

MedZag
11-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I always figured Katz had a vote. Interesting he does not.

ZagNative
11-04-2007, 08:36 PM
John Feinstein ranked us at #13. Here's Dickie V's ballot:

1 North Carolina
2 Memphis
3 Louisville
4 UCLA
5 Georgetown
6 Kansas
7 Michigan St.
8 Indiana
9 Tennessee
10 Oregon
11 Marquette
12 Duke
13 Stanford
14 Texas
15 Kentucky
16 Washington St.
17 Southern Cal
18 Syracuse
19 Clemson
20 Florida
21 Arkansas
22 Ohio St.
23 Gonzaga
24 Pittsburgh
25 Mississippi St.

:D

ZagNative
11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Personally, I don't care over much about the polls, and to the extent that I do, I'd be concerned about antagonizing voters with any kind of an organized pressure group.

It's just kind of fun to chew on the polls and cry "This is an outrage!"

Bocco
11-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Personally, I don't care over much about the polls, and to the extent that I do, I'd be concerned about antagonizing voters with any kind of an organized pressure group.

It's just kind of fun to chew on the polls and cry "This is an outrage!"

ZN I agree with you. Polls are nice, and when the Zags are ranked high it feels good that other people around the country feel about the Zags as I/all of us do. But, there is only one poll that counts and thats whoever wins the NCAA tourney, and I know that one day we will be there.

Birddog
11-05-2007, 04:48 AM
7 Michigan St.

Hmmmmmnm, Dicky has Mich St at 7 and no mention of Grand Valley St. What gives?

He does have 9 schools located W of the Mississippi which is shocking.

Birddog

avid-zag-fan
11-05-2007, 05:27 AM
i believe polls count a lot. that's how one gets on espn prime time instead of espn2 at midnight est or worse espnu and unavailable to most fans.

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2007, 05:36 AM
I wish there were more Matt McCoys. I don't like the to 15 pre-season ranking. I'd rather be sitting quietly just outside the top 25 under the radar.

Props to Matt and Dookie V.

gamagin
11-05-2007, 06:14 AM
are a crapshoot. Except worse. There are no dice, even.

Perhaps a ouija board and a water witch are involved. Maybe a few bones, some bear poop and, oh yes, an eye of newt.

But if dice were involved, there would be mathematical limits to the possibilities, the guessing and the hallucinating.

so they are out.