PDA

View Full Version : Filip!

HRZag
11-22-2018, 09:53 AM
A bit lost in all the posts, but I think that special mention needs to be made for the outstanding play by Filip. Yesterday, against Duke, in his 12 minutes on the floor, he had 11 points, 4 rebounds, a block and an assist. And no fouls! I really wish he would have played a few minutes more, but he really contributed while he was in there.

Zagceo
11-22-2018, 10:01 AM
always thought he'd contribute..just not this fast obviously Tillie situation threw him into the fire.

Great sparring partner for Rui Clarke and eventually Tillie.

love his game

TexasZagFan
11-22-2018, 10:03 AM
I'm impressed with how comfortable he looks on the court. A bit early to speculate, but a couple of big games could push him closer to one and done.

zagsfanforlife
11-22-2018, 10:07 AM
So glad you made this thread. I have been meaning to do the same, but have been on the road and not sure how safe creating a guthread while driving is.

Filip has been better than advertised in my opinion.

I thought he was going to be a decent shooter-- he is an even better shooter than i thought.

I thought he was going to be a semi-soft European big/shooter--- he is way more tougher than i thought.

I thought his post moves would be a little green and would need more developing--- his post moves he has shown so far, and even more impressive, against athletic bigs like Duke, have been eye opening.

I did not think he would be a great rebounder-- he gets boards both offensively and defensively.

I thought he would be a project big-- he is a bonafide starter caliber player for one of the top teams in the country.

It is going to pay such huge dividends him getting this playing time now with TIllie out. When KT returns, we go a legit 4 deep in the frontcourt with all 4 being future pros.

Yes-- i see Filip as a future pro for sure. I will be sad to see Rui and Tillie go next year, but I know Filip will be a STAR next year, just as KT, Corey Violette, KO and others made that jump in one offseason.

Cant wait to see this guy develop

3XaZag
11-22-2018, 10:07 AM
I think most of his minutes were in the first half. I thought a few more minutes in the second half, might have kept a couple of our guys from looking or being as tired as they were during Duke’s final run

TexasZagFan
11-22-2018, 10:12 AM
So glad you made this thread. I have been meaning to do the same, but have been on the road and not sure how safe creating a guthread while driving is.

I thought he was going to be a decent shooter-- he is an even better shooter than i thought.

I thought he was going to be a semi-soft European big/shooter--- he is way more tougher than i thought.

I thought his post moves would be a little green and would need more developing--- his post moves he has shown so far, and even more impressive, against athletic bigs like Duke, have been eye opening.

I did not think he would be a great rebounder-- he gets boards both offensively and defensively.

I thought he would be a project big-- he is a bonafide starter caliber player for one of the top teams in the country.

It is going to pay such huge dividends him getting this playing time now with TIllie out. When KT returns, we go a legit 4 deep in the frontcourt with all 4 being future pros.

Yes-- i see Filip as a future pro for sure. I will be sad to see Rui and Tillie go next year, but I know Filip will be a STAR next year, just as KT, Corey Violette, KO and others made that jump in one offseason.

I'm looking for the same from Pavel when he arrives next year. Spending a year at Montverde, playing with Burger Boys on the same team is great preparation for Division I hoops.

Reborn
11-22-2018, 11:17 AM
I agree with the ideas in this thread, and I apologize for missing him. He did play great, and his 11 points were huge. Our bench won this game for us really. They truly outplayed Duke's bench.

HRZag
11-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Reborn, not a question of anyone "missing him". Lot's of praise bestowed on many players and coaches. I just wanted to make sure that Filip was recognized for his very efficient contributions for his limited minutes. Sure hope we see more of him.

Mantua
11-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Nice to see a true freshman come off the bench to contribute 1 assist, 1 block, 4 rebounds, and 11 points in 12 minutes.

I bet it was fun for him to get a tournament victory over his former teammate from Monteverde.

Zagdawg
11-22-2018, 12:00 PM
He has been solid --- good to see him getting some experience as it will pay off come dance time.

kitzbuel
11-22-2018, 12:12 PM
I really wanted to start a thread on this, glad you beat me to it.

He is so confident and controlled as a freshman. He has a tremendous upside. I really think we will be lucky if he is here as a Junior.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MickMick
11-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Way ahead of schedule. If the Zags were not so loaded, he would have had a Harris like freshman impact. Hell...he still might.

Love what he brings. Stage is not too big.

MontanaCoyote
11-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Posted this last night. Thought he had been overlooked. Mentioned him playing with Tillie. Another poster did as well.
Happy The Filip is getting his due. Quite the contribution in 11 minutes. Will be a key to going the distance.

Hoopaholic
11-22-2018, 12:56 PM

Agree with everything but your view of his defense

I still see euro defense and lack aggression due to uncertainty and getting used to college basketball....but this will come

Malastein
11-22-2018, 01:11 PM
When the offense started stalling around the point that Clarke picked up his fourth foul, I was actually hoping he’d get some more time on the floor. He didn’t look at all overmatched in the first half, and perhaps could have prevented the game from getting as close as it did. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t take a bigger role as the season progresses, even with Tillie returning.

TheBunnieRancher
11-22-2018, 08:01 PM
I watched a little of the Texas upset over North Carolina hoping I might see a little bit of Kemaka Hepa. We followed him for so long hoping he would end up here. So far he's averaging 10 minutes per game and has scored 11 points for the season on 29% shooting and has 12 rebounds all in 5 games. Instead we ended up with Filip. I always like following recruiting but try not to get to concerned until the dust settles and we see what we have. This past week with Maui and the end of the signing period has been pretty heady stuff.