More
�� BREAKING: @OfficialMauiJim @MauiInv All-Tournament Team ��

>>Rui Hachimura @ZagMBB
>>Tre Jones @DukeMBB
>>Zach Norvell Jr. @ZagMBB
>>RJ Barrett @DukeMBB
>>Justin Coleman @APlayersProgram
>>Jared Harper @AuburnMBB

You have to believe Rui’s stock went even higher after this performance. Kids ceiling is also higher.

Ezag
11-22-2018, 08:36 AM
If there was an all defensive team, Clarke would be there fo sho

Mr Vulture
11-22-2018, 08:38 AM
I thought Zion Williamson was way better than Barrett.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23dpg
11-22-2018, 08:40 AM
I get that there’s only so much room on that team (not even room for Zion) but I would have loved to see Perkins on there too. If you remove the first 5 minutes of the Arizona game, Josh played two near perfect games in a row.

MDABE80
11-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Josh is running a good offense. Management of the game itself? Much much better.

jazzdelmar
11-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Still needs to take more shots. He was A plus yesterday.

Josh is running a good offense. Management of the game itself? Much much better.

thespywhozaggedme
11-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Exactly. I said the same thing in the game thread yesterday, he's such a good shooter I wish he would utilize that more. He could average 15 points a game if he wanted to.

zagdontzig
11-22-2018, 02:09 PM
I get that there’s only so much room on that team (not even room for Zion) but I would have loved to see Perkins on there too. If you remove the first 5 minutes of the Arizona game, Josh played two near perfect games in a row.

Had this been picked on merit only, Perkins and Williamson would be on that list, and Auburn and Arizona wouldn’t make a showing.

TacomaZAG
11-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Exactly. I said the same thing in the game thread yesterday, he's such a good shooter I wish he would utilize that more. He could average 15 points a game if he wanted to.

True.............but if he hunts his shot more, his game management suffers, and the team suffers. As much as I dislike that homer Bilas, what he said about Josh is true (I'm paraphrasing).....Rui is the best player on the team, but Josh is the most important.

Go ZAGS

kdaleb
11-22-2018, 10:36 PM
True.............but if he hunts his shot more, his game management suffers, and the team suffers. As much as I dislike that homer Bilas, what he said about Josh is true (I'm paraphrasing).....Rui is the best player on the team, but Josh is the most important.

Go ZAGS

My hope remains that as Crandall learns the offense and becomes more comfortable running things on the floor, Josh will have more opportunities to play off the ball and hunt shots. But I think we won’t see Geno really comfortable until we’re into conference play.

Hoopaholic
11-23-2018, 06:35 AM

And take away whose shots?
He is 4th in total shots taken

jazzdelmar
11-23-2018, 06:36 AM
And take away whose shots?
He is 4th in total shots taken

Kispert for sure, and Norvell doesn't need 20 a game. Kispert was 3-13 in Maui. On the yr, he's at 39%; Norvell 42%, Josh 52%. On the yr, shots taken has Norvell at 75, Kispert at 41, Josh at 48.

bartruff1
11-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Josh is getting rave reviews from the TV talking heads....often mentioned as Gonzaga's most important player....and he very well may be...…..this is his team and will go as far as he can take them..

Zagdawg
11-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Maui Invitational Retweeted

Robert Collias

@BaldHeadTruth
Nov 22
More
#MauiHoops @MauiInv All-tournament team: Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga (MVP); RJ Barrett, Duke; Tre Jones, Duke; Zach Norvell Jr., Gonzaga; Justin Coleman, Arizona; Jared Harper, Auburn. @MauiNewsSports @JordanHelle @KanoaLeahey @MatthewDSimon @RobDeMelloKHON

TacomaZAG
11-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Kispert for sure, and Norvell doesn't need 20 a game. Kispert was 3-13 in Maui. On the yr, he's at 39%; Norvell 42%, Josh 52%. On the yr, shots taken has Norvell at 75, Kispert at 41, Josh at 48.

Jazz - I hear you on Kispert, but not on Norvell. Norvell is a volume scorer, meaning he needs to hunt his shot ALL THE TIME. The AZ game is the perfect example, 0/9 in the first half+, followed by 20 points in the second half. I am still amazed that Coach has given Zach the ultimate green light, alla Blake and DD, given his past insistence on the offensive structure. Plus, the emotion Zach brings is indispensable, the team feeds off it.

I think Kevin Pangos put it best.............Shooters Shoot. Shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot.

Go ZAGS

TacomaZAG
11-23-2018, 08:19 AM
My hope remains that as Crandall learns the offense and becomes more comfortable running things on the floor, Josh will have more opportunities to play off the ball and hunt shots. But I think we won’t see Geno really comfortable until we’re into conference play.

Copy that................I liked what I saw with Geno versus Dook, hope he keeps building on that. Another thing to remember with Geno is that he played at North Dakota, he has never played in games with this level of talent on both sides. It's going to take some time, but the skills are there.

Go ZAGS

caldwellzag
11-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Completely agree! Josh is making this team go right now and if he keeps it up this year we will make a deep run.

** In fairness to Josh I did make the comment earlier about BW taking over for him if he came to GU, but I was completely wrong and that was on display in Maui. Josh is the key to a deep run for us and I like how he is playing right now.

MontanaCoyote
11-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Copy that................I liked what I saw with Geno versus Dook, hope he keeps building on that. Another thing to remember with Geno is that he played at North Dakota, he has never played in games with this level of talent on both sides. It's going to take some time, but the skills are there.

Go ZAGS

Yes!

maynard g krebs
11-23-2018, 12:16 PM

Player------Minutes per game----------Shots per game

Rui 29.5/14.3
ZN 30/12.5
BC 24.8/9.0
JP 32/8.0
CK 28.3/6.8
FP 15/5.5
GC 18/5.0
JJ 14/2.0

Of the 8 rotation players, Kispert is 7th in shots per minute played. He's not taking bad shots. If anything, on this team he doesn't get enough shots to get into a rhythm. As a recruit, he was called the best shooter on the circuit, and he was that when I went to see him in the spring league at Bellevue College after his jr year of hs.

Pointing out his 3/13 shooting on 3's (3 of 4 2's btw; 6 of 17 overall) at Maui as a reason he should shoot less? Josh opened the season 2/10 on 3's, almost the same sample size. So should he have stopped shooting then?

My take is that he lost some confidence after his injury last year, and he's still adjusting to not being the alpha he was in hs on this team w/ multiple pros.

There's a reason he's still behind only Josh, Rui and ZN in minutes per, despite his shooting slump. If he was firing up tough shots like Norvell does and shooting these %'s, I'd agree. But he takes good shots and keeps the ball moving, makes the right passes. He needs to take the shots he's taking. I'd actually like to see him drive the ball a little more often.

bartruff1
11-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Mark is not going to give up on Kispert……..he will be returning next year.....a key player for the future.... he makes a lot of plays that don't show up in the box scores and hits some winning shots...

Goshzagit
11-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Mark is not going to give up on Kispert……..he will be returning next year.....a key player for the future.... he makes a lot of plays that don't show up in the box scores and hits some winning shots...

I'd like to see him utilize his mid-range shot more often. has a nice looking shot from the elbow and off dribble-drive.

his 3pt shot much more flat than his mid range jumper

kdaleb
11-23-2018, 10:48 PM

One more thought on this... on the Duke post game media thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63958-Post-Game-Media-for-GU-Duke-Game&p=1410562#post1410562), someone mentioned the quote from the Illinois coach on the Parrish podcast about how much stuff Coach Few has his team run. Makes it so hard to prepare for defensively. It must be even more difficult for a new point guard to pick up.

Mantua
11-23-2018, 11:10 PM
One more thought on this... on the Duke post game media thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63958-Post-Game-Media-for-GU-Duke-Game&p=1410562#post1410562), someone mentioned the quote from the Illinois coach on the Parrish podcast about how much stuff Coach Few has his team run. Makes it so hard to prepare for defensively. It must be even more difficult for a new point guard to pick up.

I like hearing the validation of the Zag’s game after all the years that Few & Co. have been building. Every once in a while I have to pinch myself...like yesterday.

ProVeeZag
11-23-2018, 11:33 PM

Good observation, Geno has had a lot to absorb in a few short weeks. I look for him to have a breakout game for us very soon (before conference play starts). Sure pulling for you Geno!

bballbeachbum
11-24-2018, 08:41 AM

+1 and maynard's take on adjusting to injury and not being alpha, CK's flattened arc on his shot maybe an indication of that too. I'm digging CK's play, warts and all. Dude plays with some serious heart

Zagceo
11-24-2018, 08:58 AM
I'd actually like to see him drive the ball a little more often.

that opening drive and wiff...ouch. thought it could be sign of real tightness ...glad it wasn't. played good defense hit a couple key shots.

didn't get to the line once..bet watching tape on Duke was eye opening and made players hesitate to rim run. Snax being the exception...still marvel at that bait n switch shot under the hoop!

Reborn
11-24-2018, 11:53 AM
I have always liked Kispert, and his play against Duke, imo, was great or fantastic. His role this year is not to be a big scorer, but as we saw it's a very important role. Jay Bilis sure praised him all game long. Contrary to what some fans here think, he really can play defense , especially with big players. And he can shoot. I am sure he accepts his role because he is a Zag. And he's also a great passer. Every team needs a guy like Corey, and I'm glad Gonzaga has him. Because he is such a good shooter he MUST be guarded closely, which opens up the middle for our post players.

Go Zags!!!