PDA

View Full Version : Is Rui the next Adam Morrison???

demian
11-22-2018, 08:27 AM
please bear with me, Iím bored this morning. Hachimura has the potential to be a phenomena on par with Adam Morrison. Not quite as legendary as Morrison but he is gonna be a legend. He will be in contention for first team all American and player of the year status and has international appeal. He appears infectious with his personality. He isn't quite the stone cold killer Morrison was but Hachimura is unreal. I remember when the zags blew that game vs UCLA in sweet 16 many years ago Doug gottlieb who was at espn at that time said ďthis is devastating because Gonzaga will NEVER have a player like Adam Morrison EVER againĒ. I believed him at that time when he said that. I didnít think we would ever have a player like Morrison again. Who would have thought it would come in the form Rui Hachimura but I think he is the guy

JAGzag
11-22-2018, 08:34 AM
I love Rui, but no. Not sure Rui has that killer instinct yet. Much more aggressive this year and he’s beginning to believe he’s the best player on the floor, and playing like it. Also, won’t be able to showcase like with Ammo. That years team mindset was “get Morrison” the ball. Not now, too many weapons. Good debate!

Ezag
11-22-2018, 08:39 AM
I would agree Rui is beyond fantastic but doesn't have the killer instinct Morrison had yet. Morrison could take over games when he needed to and it wasn't only about "give Ammo the ball", it is just he always REALLY wanted the ball. We do have more options now than in Morrison's day.

Rui has certainly come into his own and it is early yet. Amazing he could barely speak english just over a year ago and only been playing basketball for 7 years.

zagsfanforlife
11-22-2018, 08:40 AM
I’m college, no. But if Rui becomes the next kawhi Leonard or a borderline all star in the nba, his worldwide appeal would be 100x that of Ammo. A Japanese NBA Star? That is truly 1 of a kind. I do think he will be first team all American this year though.

Reborn
11-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Not enough evidence yet. Yesterdays game was just one example. He will not be a better scorer than Adam. Maybe he could be if he played on a Zag team like the one Adam played on. This Zag team is loaded with good offensive players. Adam is my all time favorite Zag player. But by the end of the year Rui could be THE BEST GU PLAYER EVER. Dan Dickau has to also be considered as a Legion. I also think that Rui will be a better pro.

My final answer is No. There will never be another Adam Morrison. He is a legion for sure. Adam was more than a great basketball player but he was a super star. He filled every arena that he played in. In some gyms the student bodies showed up wearing mustaches. Adam was one of the most hated basketball players ever. Yes at the college level. However, he could never be rattled by abusive fans. I think they inspired him. I'm sure he felt so good when he would lay down 50 points on those fans. Rui will also be a legion one day. He may become a better player but he will not be the star that Adam was.

Vanzagger
11-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Just keep winning. Rui’s Game travels. Aloha

jazzdelmar
11-22-2018, 10:29 AM
No.

TexasZagFan
11-22-2018, 10:32 AM
Not enough evidence yet. Yesterdays game was just one example. He will not be a better scorer than Adam. Maybe he could be if he played on a Zag team like the one Adam played on. This Zag team is loaded with good offensive players. Adam is my all time favorite Zag player. But by the end of the year Rui could be THE BEST GU PLAYER EVER. Dan Dickau has to also be considered as a Legion. I also think that Rui will be a better pro.

My final answer is No. There will never be another Adam Morrison. He is a legion for sure. Adam was more than a great basketball player but he was a super star. He filled every arena that he played in. In some gyms the student bodies showed up wearing mustaches. Adam was one of the most hated basketball players ever. Yes at the college level. However, he could never be rattled by abusive fans. I think they inspired him. I'm sure he felt so good when he would lay down 50 points on those fans. Rui will also be a legion one day. He may become a better player but he will not be the star that Adam was.

Remember when these shirts went on sale after the Santa Clara game? lol, I still have mine.

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/stache2.jpg

Time for someone to get cracking on a t-shirt for Rui.

DixieZag
11-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Let's let Rui be the first, best, and only "Rui" in the program.

Ekrub
11-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Gottlieb is right. Will never be another player like ammo. Might have a better player, an equally fierce competitor, etc... But Morrison was unique in a million different ways. Rui can build his own legacy.

MDABE80
11-22-2018, 10:59 AM
NO. Fame wise maybe but as a player? Entirely different .

Reborn
11-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Remember when these shirts went on sale after the Santa Clara game? lol, I still have mine.

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/stache2.jpg

Time for someone to get cracking on a t-shirt for Rui.

Yes I do. I love your post and agree. I think one will be out soon. It takes time to become a legion.

NEC26
11-22-2018, 11:14 AM
2 completely different players in just about every way.

basketballzag
11-22-2018, 11:24 AM
2 completely different players in just about every way.

Rui is going to be a top three pick and one of the reasons for that is the incredible amount of eyeballs in him. If you followed twitter over the last 24 hrs Rui has been the most popular topic on Japanese social media including twitter. If I was a GM screw every other player in the NBA draft because I’m picking Rui because he will rejuvenate a fan base over night unlike any other player in this years draft.

Ekrub
11-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Rui is going to be a top three pick and one of the reasons for that is the incredible amount of eyeballs in him. If you followed twitter over the last 24 hrs Rui has been of the most popular topics on Japanese social media including twitter. If I was a GM screw every other player in the NBA draft because I’m picking Rui because he will rejuvenate a fan base over night unlike any other player in this years draft.

Top 3? Top 10, probably. But top 3?

basketballzag
11-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Top 3? Top 10, probably. But top 3?

I’m telling you now he is a Top 3 pick. Dollars over potential all day everyday in the NBA.

MDABE80
11-22-2018, 11:34 AM
I do not think he's a top 3 player but he will go high because of marketing. He's a star already but he'd be a big deal to some NBA franchise and as the NBA goes worldwide, Rui may well be the tip of the spear. Remember, NBA is a business is an expansion mode.

gu03alum
11-22-2018, 11:35 AM
When I read this quote:

LINK (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-vs-gonzaga-score-the-no-3-zags-show-that-the-no-1-blue-devils-are-indeed-human-in-maui-upset/)

And [I was] like, 'You know, I'm the best player too.'

I immediately thought of Adam Morrison. Rui is a very confident player who can back it up on the court. They obviously have different games but Rui is a star who is going to get better and better throughout the season.

RenoZag
11-22-2018, 11:50 AM
As I did when the Zags had Sabonis, I'm going to enjoy watching him represent Gonzaga as long as we have him and enjoy the journey. I hope he becomes an ambassador for Gonzaga basketball. Wish him nothing but the best.

He'll be a multi-cultural phenomenon by the time his basketball career is over. GU is fortunate to have him.

Mantua
11-22-2018, 12:09 PM
As I did when the Zags had Sabonis, I'm going to enjoy watching him represent Gonzaga as long as we have him and enjoy the journey. I hope he becomes an ambassador for Gonzaga basketball. Wish him nothing but the best.

He'll be a multi-cultural phenomenon by the time his basketball career is over. GU is fortunate to have him.

This.

Rui is a wonderful Zag and keeping our international recruiting stock high to boot.

BobZag
11-22-2018, 12:22 PM
He's the smoothest player I've seen at GU. Looks like he's moving at half-speed but you know he isn't.

Ekrub
11-22-2018, 12:28 PM
I’m telling you now he is a Top 3 pick. Dollars over potential all day everyday in the NBA.

I usually take what you say as fact, but I'll wait this one out a bit. I'll gladly eat crow, if needed.

zagamatic
11-22-2018, 12:38 PM
I don't really think that the two are comparable, Rui plays defense, is more athletic and is a team player rather than a black hole that the ball only leaves heading to the rim. Rui will be a far better pro than Morrison ever was. Just my opinion. Of course, I never really was a big fan of Morrison even though I will concede that Adam had some great individual performances.

Zagricultural
11-22-2018, 12:42 PM
No. He's awesome, but isn't even the next Sabonis yet.

Malastein
11-22-2018, 12:44 PM
I usually take what you say as fact, but I'll wait this one out a bit. I'll gladly eat crow, if needed.

He played better than the trio at Duke, who are all considered to be top 3 guys. He’s become an emotional leader on the court, and has the size and strength to be successful on the next level. His jumper has also been improving, which is the only major hole in his game. He’s got an incredible post game. He’s also amazing in the open floor. I was most impressed with his passing against Duke. I hope we see more of that this year!

jazzdelmar
11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Ways to go to equal the Bonus.

No. He's awesome, but isn't even the next Sabonis yet.

ZagMan in Philly
11-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Rui sees the floor and can dish the ball like Magic.

jazzdelmar
11-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Phil, whoa, whoa, whoa.

Rui sees the floor and can dish the ball like Magic.

Zagceo
11-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Rui tells Simon what to do!

Vanzagger
11-22-2018, 01:41 PM
He's the smoothest player I've seen at GU. Looks like he's moving at half-speed but you know he isn't.

Highest compliment

TacomaZAG
11-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Iím telling you now he is a Top 3 pick. Dollars over potential all day everyday in the NBA.

I don't know where he will be drafted, but I do know this...................He was the best player on the floor yesterday, not even close.

Go ZAGS

SunDevilGolfZag
11-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Different type of player than Ammo but for Rui this year may bring similar rock star type media following as Ammo did. Could become a media zoo everywhere the team goes.

JPtheBeasta
11-22-2018, 02:56 PM
They are similar in that they have midrange game, but Adam was just a better shooter at this point and had the propensity to put tremendous foul pressure on the other team. Rui has the tools to be a better defender and all-around player.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-22-2018, 03:00 PM
He played better than the trio at Duke, who are all considered to be top 3 guys. Heís become an emotional leader on the court, and has the size and strength to be successful on the next level. His jumper has also been improving, which is the only major hole in his game. Heís got an incredible post game. Heís also amazing in the open floor. I was most impressed with his passing against Duke. I hope we see more of that this year!

This

Rui top 3 pick. He shined brightest vs Dukie frosh.

JPtheBeasta
11-22-2018, 03:31 PM

He had to be the most efficient Zag. He put up ridiculous FG%s

Mojo13
11-22-2018, 03:44 PM
He played better than the trio at Duke, who are all considered to be top 3 guys. He’s become an emotional leader on the court, and has the size and strength to be successful on the next level. His jumper has also been improving, which is the only major hole in his game. He’s got an incredible post game. He’s also amazing in the open floor. I was most impressed with his passing against Duke. I hope we see more of that this year!

Rui is also two to three years older than the Duke freshmen. They are considered top picks because they are so young and have so much upside.

You are high off that win to think Rui is a top three pick. But enjoy the haze.

That said this is a very weak draft, so he is going to go high and The Zags are at risk of losing a number of guys.

basketballzag
11-22-2018, 03:48 PM

The only think that Rui has to work on is his defense because itís not elite yet but as the season goes on for the next five months I expect it to elite level. Itís the only thing holding him back.

Malastein
11-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Rui is also two to three years older than the Duke freshmen. They are considered top picks because they are so young and have so much upside.

You are high off that win to think Rui is a top three pick. But enjoy the haze.

That win confirmed it for me and not much else. The nice thing is that I know Rui will be even better by March. He’s a sponge. He is also only 2 years older than the Duke kids. He could end up being a better pro than either of them, but only time will tell.

Mojo13
11-22-2018, 03:58 PM
And the 18 year old Duke prospects won’t be even better by March?

Rui has plenty of flaws for a NBA prospect as the Duke kids do as well.

Here is DraftExpress’s run down on Rui. Seem fairly accurate.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25340527/scouting-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura-duke-vs-gonzaga

Zagger
11-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Not yet ..... and personally no for this Spokanite. Adam is home grown. He & I, even though a few years apart, went to the same high school. I got brought into Zag fandom by Adam & gang (I was not a bb fan). Being that the Zags then were composed of a slew of NW talent I found it special that GU could compete nationally. Iím loving me some Rui but itís just a smidge different now that players are from afar and chances are higher that they wonít be in Spokane for 4 years. Iím somewhat old school in liking the Ravios, Mallons, Melsons, etc. Ruiís pretty special though in that I think GU is an excellent fit for him. Any other school and his bb excellence may not be developing as well as it is. Iím thankful that heís still here and may very well become quite attached to the place.

NotoriousZ
11-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Ammo was a college giant for the ages. Rui can be an all American, but no Ammo.

Rui will be a lottery pick and he played great against Duke, but we beat them because we played better team ball.

Those Duke freshmen also have off the chart talent, and the NBA scouts don’t care who won the game. Love me some Rui but I will be shocked if Zion isn’t the number one pick. However, Rui’s stock is on the rise...

Alum08
11-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Well, Paul Pierce hadn't heard of Rui so I think he has a ways to go in the superstar department. Also, I don't think the Zags actually need to produce another Morrison, we're too talented to even want one player pulling up and dropping 3s from 40 feet. That works when you are the only NBA talent on the team, not so much when you have 3-5 NBAers on the roster

willandi
11-22-2018, 07:03 PM
And the 18 year old Duke prospects won’t be even better by March?

Rui has plenty of flaws for a NBA prospect as the Duke kids do as well.

Here is DraftExpress’s run down on Rui. Seem fairly accurate.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25340527/scouting-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura-duke-vs-gonzaga

The Duke kids may not be that much better. It will be determined by how well they learned the lessons from this loss. If they continue to roll over everyone and get lackadaisical, they may not improve.

Bogozags
11-22-2018, 07:27 PM

Jazz I agree but remember, they are playing different position...Rui is an SF/PF and DS was a PF/C, which is what he plays in the NBA. Rui will be an SF in the NBA and when Tillie can return to the floor and start, Rui will be moved to the SF with Clarke at the C and Tillie at the PF...imo

But Rui's game is getting better...he has so much confidence, he is smart and able to adapt his "D" when he is in foul issues and now he is hitting his 3's which is going to make him even tougher to defend...It is going to be enjoyable to watch him play in conference this season...

Worthington
11-22-2018, 07:53 PM
I see Rui as more of a modern day power forward than a wing at the next level. He doesn't have many weaknesses, but one of them is his blow by quickness. Hardly ever do you see him rip through and leave a defender in the dust. Think his athletic profile is more conducive to success as a mobile, stretch power forward. He certainly has the strength to body up in the post.

LongIslandZagFan
11-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Watched game with non-Zag fans. They all basically said heís NBA level right now. Heís not ammo but ammo was never rui. High probability heíll be one of the greatest zags ever when heís done

Zagricultural
11-22-2018, 08:39 PM
There's some extreme Kool aid being served in this thread.

maynard g krebs
11-22-2018, 11:12 PM
Rui is also two to three years older than the Duke freshmen.

Rui 20
Reddish 19
RJ and Zion 18.

TacomaZAG
11-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Ammo was a college giant for the ages. Rui can be an all American, but no Ammo.

Rui will be a lottery pick and he played great against Duke, but we beat them because we played better team ball.

Those Duke freshmen also have off the chart talent, and the NBA scouts don’t care who won the game. Love me some Rui but I will be shocked if Zion isn’t the number one pick. However, Rui’s stock is on the rise...

Z - I hear you about the Dook Frosh, but think that Tre Jones is by far the best of the four. Not sure why Zion gets all the NBA love because he can throw down some monster dunks. He's a tweener (6'-7") can't shoot the 3 at all, and has trouble going right. Don't get me wrong, he is an incredible talent, and will carve up the college game this year, I just don't see his talent translating to the NBA. He reminds me of a Charles Barkley type, but the pro game has changed so much since Sir Charles, I just don't see him being a dominant NBA guy. I know, I know, this opinion and $4.50 will get you a cup of Starbucks..............

Go ZAGS

IowaSERE
11-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Ammo hits the 2 FT's to ice the game.

bartruff1
11-23-2018, 10:49 AM
I am to lazy to look it up....but...I think....Adam led the Nation in scoring.....was a All American…..tied for Player of the Year....was a finalist for several National Awards and won some outright....was the 3rd player taken in the Draft and probably won nearly every award in the WCC …… he must be among the most confident and competitive players.... not only at Gonzaga......but in all of College Basketball... he was fearless on any stage... he would have played defense... were it not for offense ……..that is a pretty high bar....

Having said that...if I was playing "choose up sides "...of the modern players I would pick Sabonis first without any hesitation …then Collins and Kelly....

TexasZagFan
11-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Ammo hits the 2 FT's to ice the game.

I don't think Rui ever clanked FT's on purpose to stay in the game...lol. Very few players had a fire that burned in them like Ammo. Rui's getting there, as he's showing more emotion on the court.

Could be to Japan what Dirk is to Germany...though there's a very long way to go for that.

zagzilla
11-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Nope. Adam was the face of CBB in 2005. Rock star persona. Bigger than life. From his first game of his freshman year he was a phenom.

No shade to Rui but he is emerging too late as a junior to be another Morrison.

Let's just enjoy Rui as Rui

ZZ

Zagceo
11-23-2018, 11:54 AM
I don't think Rui ever clanked FT's on purpose to stay in the game...lol.

didn't Ammo take the ball away from Ravio... literally a steal because he wanted the last shot or something like that? ALPHA

TexasZagFan
11-23-2018, 12:02 PM
didn't Ammo take the ball away from Ravio... literally a steal because he wanted the last shot or something like that? ALPHA

Closest thing to that has been Rui going coast to coast for a thunderous dunk with less than 5 seconds to go. He's done that at least twice AFAIK. Both were included in the game highlights on ESPN.

titopoet
11-23-2018, 12:10 PM
I am going to say something that is probably not going to be popular. Ammo was a better scorer and offensive player, Rui already is a more complete overall player. Rui helped win the game against Duke with a great defensive stance against a top NBA Lotto pick. Rui makes a huge difference between both sides of the ball. Ammo could shoot the three lights out, while Rui has yet to develop that part of his game though he is getting better. Also, GU, when they had Ammo, played through Ammo. Now, this team is a more complete team and can play through multiple players like the pick and roll duo of Perkins and Clarke or play through Snacks. If you add the dimension of a complete player to the conversation, there has been a few players in the conversation with Ammo. Sabonis differently is in conversation the way he dominated on both ends of the court as did Olynyk

Also, Gottlieb is Dweeb of the major kind. Kelly Olynyk, Rui, Sabonis, Snacks, NGW, Tillie. and so many others GU has shown they can attract top talent and will continue into the foreseeable future. I don't think there will be a player who dominates so much of the scoring like Ammo at GU, because as Few has evolved to his positionless playing, with multiple players contributing on every set.

There may never be an Ammo at GU, but there may never be another Sabonis, Olynyk or Rui, either.

amaronizag
11-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Zion Williamson reminds me of Lance Stephenson, now of the Lakers, formerly of Cincinnati. He tore GU up in the arena a few years back. Crazy athletic, but Zion is better. Zion will definitely be an NBA pro and so will Rui. Rui needs to beef up his defense and rebounding this year. With significant improvements in those areas, Rui will be NBA ready. He is much improved over last season, but he should be getting more rebounds than Snacks.

VinnyZag
11-23-2018, 01:03 PM
I am going to say something that is probably not going to be popular. Ammo was a better scorer and offensive player, Rui already is a more complete overall player.

I wholeheartedly agree with this ... and also with the sentiment that it won't be a popular opinion.

I think some of us are underselling Sweet Ru, but I get that Morrison is a legendary figure and beloved by the Spokane community. I thought he was great, too. I just think Rui has a more complete game, more athleticism, better defender (that may be damning with faint praise), etc.

And while it's true that Morrison (and Reddick, by the way) was the face of college hoops for ~6 months, Rui has a chance to be the face of the entire sport in Japan.