PDA

View Full Version : Was that the biggest win outside of the tournament?

Malastein
11-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Beating the number one team loaded with NBA players with the legendary Coach K on the sideline... has there been a bigger, more satisfying victory outside of the NCAA Tournament? I love this team!

katman50
11-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Yes! Before the season started they said this years Duke team could be the best college team in history.

23dpg
11-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Beating the number one team loaded with NBA players with the legendary Coach K on the sideline... has there been a bigger, more satisfying victory outside of the NCAA Tournament? I love this team!

I can answer that in two words. Hell yeah!

jim77
11-21-2018, 04:24 PM
YES....that is all. :)

NEC26
11-21-2018, 04:25 PM
I will admit to thinking we had to play our A game to have any chance and thats exactly what they did. The guard play was good. Clark and Hachimura were just incredible. Man oh man is that a great win and so so so satisfying to beat Duke.

Robzagnut
11-21-2018, 04:27 PM
I can answer that in two words. Hell yeah!

The talk of the basketball world right now. The unbeatable team got beat.

Mantua
We’ve been lusting after this win for years. Beating Duke in the Maui final is icing on the cake.

zagsfanforlife
Yes. We just beat one of the best coaches ever who was coaching his most hyped team ever. And had got blown out twice in their last two matchups. We have now put ourselves in prime position for a 1 seed as long as we can lose less than 2 throughout rest of non conference and take it to the WCC. Duke is the biggest national brand and Zion and his boys were the most hyped up team in a long long time. This is amazing

kitzbuel
11-21-2018, 04:28 PM
There ain't gonna be any talk about backing into #1 ranking because we didn't loose in the WCC. Beating#1 Duke earns it unequivocally.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Sarenyon
11-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Yes!

NotoriousZ
11-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Absolutely. Before today, the Zags had never beaten the number one ranked team in the nation. Having that team be Duke made it so much more satisfying.

NEC26
11-21-2018, 04:29 PM
There ain't gonna be any talk about backing into #1 ranking because we didn't loose in the WCC. Beating#1 Duke earns it unequivocally.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Kansas probably takes top spot but who cares its a huge win come tourney seeding time.

Malastein
11-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Doing it without Tillie to boot. I can’t think of any other game that comes close! That first half was a clinic!

WRHUradio
It is the biggest win in terms of Ranking and status. Duke has 2 Lottery picks, a 3rd 1st rounder in Reddish, and ranked number 1, and past great Gonzaga teams never even sniffed being very competitive vs Duke, Villanova last year, national championship favorites.

there are other SIGNIFICANT wins along the journey and ladder of Gonzaga basketball that were arguably larger in impact, but this is climbing a certain level of mountain, and that's beating Duke in a significant situation.

The recruiting domino effect cannot be understated, and also to do it WITHOUT Tillie is monstrous, and arguably to do it while not playing GREAT, is another thing, they still have another level to climb to!

bartruff1
That win, moves Gonzaga to a new level in the College Basketball world....and they are going to get better....as will Duke...

jazzdelmar
11-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Why would that be? Zags beat the Colossus.

Unfortunately Kansas probably takes top spot but who cares its a huge win come tourney seeding time.

U Zig, I Zag
11-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Yes. Other than UNC some time back, GU has had trouble with true top flight, top 5 teams.

The Runner, FF win, this game. IMHO.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Absolutely biggest win in program history outside NCAA.

Love that this team played its best ball in such a high pressure game. Also great to see Few trusting Jones, Crandall, Petrusev w important minutes. Huge win!!!

Norvell clutch; Perkins aces; Rui MVP; Clarke a total stud blocking everything; Kispert tough as nails w some clutch buckets, D and rebounds.

I love this team!!!!! Congratulations Coach Few and staff for beating the best. The so called best college team in history that ESPN had already christened NCAA Champions. Let’s do it again in Minneapolis w Tillie and Crandall in peak form!

Robzagnut
11-21-2018, 04:34 PM
That win, moves Gonzaga to a new level in the College Basketball world....and they are going to get better....as will Duke...

The announcers are talking about GU being #1 in the middle of the Butler - Dayton game!!! Top of the World!

zagamatic
11-21-2018, 04:35 PM

I think that they were talking about backing into a 1 seed in the tournament like it's been said we did in the past by the talking heads.
But, back to the topic at hand, I would say the wins that got us into the tournament for the 2nd year in a row (Few's first tournament as head coach) would be right up there because that's what laid the foundation for THIS WIN!

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Yes. Other than UNC some time back, GU has had trouble with true top flight, top 5 teams.

The Runner, FF win, this game. IMHO.

Agreed though Elite Eight victory over Xavier to make FF must be included.

OntZags
11-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Why would that be? Zags beat the Colossus.

Rating inertia is a thing.

I suspect Gonzaga will slip by Kansas (especially as they have been lacklustre of late, though we'll see how they play vs Marquette) for first but it will be far from unanimous. If Gonzaga had closed that game stronger, it might be a different story.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter. The AP top-25 is a dick-waving, media hype poll that means nothing in the big picture. It doesn't do anything to determining national champions.

How both these teams learn and grow from this game will be far more important come March.

Once and Future Zag
11-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Gonzaga 84
#5 Clemson 71

The year before the slipper fit.

DixieZag
11-21-2018, 04:44 PM
I think we deserve the number one ranking. We had two bad halves in Maui, but we just beat a team that no one really expected to be beaten this year.

Koach K was 15-0 in Maui coming into the game.

Supposedly 3 of the top 5 draft picks.

Just beaten Kentucky and Auburn

An amazing accomplishment by a team that really did rise to the occasion. Huge congrats to the senior leadership of Josh, truly showed up and played his heart out. And to our big men who denied RJ 3 straight drives to the hoop. And to the refs that didn't bail him out, finally.

Birddog
11-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Gonzaga 84
#5 Clemson 71

The year before the slipper fit.

That is a very good "blast from the past" and you just might be correct.

ZagMan in Philly
11-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Best game ever...and it should not be that close.
love this tweet

Check out @kenpomeroy’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1065404534162247680?s=09

3XaZag
Espn still thinks Duke won.

On their website they have 9 video clips.. the final sequence and 8 plays featuring the Dookies

On their studio recap the female lead had to ask several times if the rest of them could stop making this about Duke losing and say something about the Zags winning. Ask ally they couldn’t do it. They would say 1, maybe 2 sentences abou the Zags in response and be right back talking Duke

How about featuring the winners guys? (Haven’t read Metcalf’s linked article on their homepage yet, and he is usually pretty good, but the video selection had to be done by a Duke grad)

DixieZag
Doing it without Tillie to boot. I can’t think of any other game that comes close! That first half was a clinic!

This cannot be repeated enough.

White lightning
11-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Oh hell yes. Definitely a mouth shutting, tired of listening to the crap win!!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181122/e2083fb65acac3e63a8037723163f2b1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ProVeeZag
11-21-2018, 04:49 PM
The biggest win outside of the tournament? We just saw it, hands down. This is not an ordinary Duke team we just took down. Hats off to the coaching staff for a great game plan. And kudos to the young men that executed that game plan. Enjoying this one, for sure!

PS - I do hope Grayson Allen was able to watch this one.

LTownZag
11-21-2018, 04:53 PM
I don't think it's "bigger" than today, but often overlooked and perhaps crucial to our current success were the two do-or-die wins in the WCC tourney in 2015-2016. Perkins, Wiltjer, Sabonis, and McLellan (and the rest) needed to win both those games are likely see the Gonzaga streak ended, and not make the NCAA Tourney.

Those were probably the 2 biggest games against "non-bigtime" opponents.

TexasZagFan
11-21-2018, 04:55 PM
I suppose this means we could beat the Cleveland Cavaliers, too! :lmao:

ProVeeZag
11-21-2018, 04:57 PM
I suppose this means we could beat the Cleveland Cavaliers, too! :lmao:

Need more info: Neutral court?

TexasZagFan
11-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Need more info: Neutral court?

LOL

MontanaCoyote
11-21-2018, 05:02 PM
The talk of the basketball world right now. The unbeatable team got beat.

Yeah, and without Tills. Should be noted by national writers, commenters. “And they did it without their best shooter!”

3 point shooter!

BayAreaZagFan
11-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Yes, but games outside the tournament can be big for many different reasons. This is probably the biggest one on the national stage, though.

I have a feeling that this will be the biggest game this season. The "rematch" in December will be hyped and will be deservedly big, but I doubt that any non- postseason game will be bigger than this for quite awhile. Down goes #1!

TheOtherGreatOne
11-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Yes! Before the season started they said this years Duke team could be the best college team in history.

This is the 3rd year in a row duke is supposed to have the best team in history. The other 2 didn't even win the regular season ACC, and didn't make the final 4. Now the Zags beat this team without their best all around player. To me duke's coach is highly over rated. What would coach Few do if he had all the talent that duke has had ?

Saxon_zag
11-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Espn still thinks Duke won.

On their website they have 9 video clips.. the final sequence and 8 plays featuring the Dookies

On their studio recap the female lead had to ask several times if the rest of them could stop making this about Duke losing and say something about the Zags winning. Ask ally they couldn’t do it. They would say 1, maybe 2 sentences abou the Zags in response and be right back talking Duke

How about featuring the winners guys? (Haven’t read Metcalf’s linked article on their homepage yet, and he is usually pretty good, but the video selection had to be done by a Duke grad)

Noticed this on the clips on espn. Kind of a big joke but this Duke team is super hyped. But what NBA GM in their right mind is taking Barrett over either of those other 2 stud freshmen? Doesn't pass the eye test to me.

Zion's gotta be the only guy pushing three bills that's never committed a charge in his life according to those officials. Amazing. Super glad they didnt bail them out in the last minute.

Jay Bilas is really bad on Duke games. A real passive aggressive homer. Team fouls were like 9-2 at some point in the 2nd half after Zion had trucked Rui and Jay was justifying the horrible blocking foul call (this is just after Clarke got his 3rd because Zion dove in front of him). Then keeps saying there is uncalled contact when Duke has the ball including on the last play which there really wasn't. Lame pukey

TexasZagFan
11-21-2018, 05:13 PM
This is the 3rd year in a row duke is supposed to have the best team in history. The other 2 didn't even win the regular season ACC, and didn't make the final 4. Now the Zags beat this team without their best all around player. To me duke's coach is highly over rated. What would coach Few do if he had all the talent that duke has had ?

Koach, and by extension Duke, has become a mercenary program. Gonzaga develops incredible young men who happen to be excellent basketball players. I dig the Zag family vibe immensely.

raise the zag
11-21-2018, 05:18 PM
No question.

We will be talking about this game during off season banter, in recruiting, on future opponents' message boards, over drinks, and even to our Grandkids.

Epic win. Need to build off the momentum, no emotional let down.

Can't wait to sweep both games vs Duke this season.

TexasZagFan
11-21-2018, 05:30 PM
You think the Class of ‘19 is enjoying this?

rennis
11-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Not many wins move the needle for this team anymore but this one most certainly does.

ProVeeZag
11-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Not many wins move the needle for this team anymore but this one most certainly does.

This win moved a lot of needles, mine included!

therocket
11-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Absolutely yes. The other one I think of is when the zags beat North Carolina a few years back

ProVeeZag
11-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Absolutely yes. The other one I think of is when the zags beat North Carolina a few years back

Wasn't that the Tyler Hansbrough-led Tarheels?

CarolinaZagFan
11-21-2018, 05:45 PM
No doubt about it! That game just won over any remaining Zag skeptics. Everyone (including me) thought this Duke team had a fairly good chance to go undefeated. We’ve showed that we definitely belong!

katman50
11-21-2018, 05:46 PM
You gotta believe this helps in recruiting. How about a great point guard who signs with the Zags? Fine by me.

Mantua
11-21-2018, 05:58 PM
The Maui Final a story on the main ESPN front page and headlines the NCAAM front page.

Myron Metcalf says Gonzaga might be the best team in the country.

In the meantime...Go Marquette!

UberZagFan
11-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Yes, biggest win outside of NCAA games but mostly based upon the hype machine that is ESPN. I don't think that Duke team is as good as some other teams GU has beat. Lots of great young talent but still trying to figure out how to play. Most of their offense was one on one. But boy, they have 3 guys that should be playing next level right now.

GonzaGAW
11-21-2018, 08:07 PM
- yes, yes, and yes, absolutely.
- heck this is better than most every tourney game, except maybe 2.

strikenowhere
11-21-2018, 08:33 PM
I was afraid this day would never come, then it did. **** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bartruff1
11-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Wasn't that the Tyler Hansbrough-led Tarheels?

And this will be long remembered as the Zion Williamson - led #1 Duke Team....

ProVeeZag
11-21-2018, 09:33 PM
My wife Kathleen was a dedicated fan of the Zags. She and I watched many hundreds of GU games together over the years. We always talked about how proud we were of "our boys". I believe in my heart she is smiling right now from heaven, so proud of "her boys". Bless her soul, she passed away last June.

Ekrub
11-21-2018, 09:43 PM
I don't want to give Duke the credit, but yes it was a top 3 non-tourney victory. MSU @ Maui and UNC @ I think MSG, were also program defining victories.

JokerZag
11-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Great win. Seen too many must win wcc tourney games to get into the ncaas, to calll this the best. Most statisfying though