PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Arizona post game thoughts

Zagceo
11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Good teams overcome bad refs. Check

Watching the meltdown in the second half of Arizona was fun.

ZagMan in Philly
11-20-2018, 10:02 PM
Team has heart. They are good.

StocktonZag
11-20-2018, 10:09 PM
From the ESPN post game recap����

The Zags turned the Lahaina Civic Center into The Kennel West early in the second, the cheers growing louder with each basket during a 15-2 run that put them up 56-53.

JPtheBeasta
11-20-2018, 10:09 PM
Perkins quit driving deep under the basket and chucking the ball around the court, then good things happened. (I could blame it equally on tight officiating in the first half)

I can see why Brandon Williams chose UA. He gets the ball a lot more this year than he would with GU, although he would play major minutes. He showed some really quickness and shot-making. He would have been a good get. Too bad for him they have another PG coming in next year...

The Zags need to quit having dumpster fire halves. They need a complete game to beat duke

I am trying to get used to a lack of post man to pivot off of. This is quite a different Zag team.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Norvell and Perkins were terrific in the second half, after a very poor first half. I'll certainly take it!

GeorgiaZagFan
11-20-2018, 10:14 PM
I went back and read the game thread as the 2nd half started....Zags have some "mentally weak" fans!! :mecry:

former1dog
11-20-2018, 10:15 PM
I went back and read the game thread as the 2nd half started....Zags have some "mentally weak" fans!! :mecry:

I’m done with game threads. A sad excuse for discourse.

23dpg
11-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Brandon Williams is a good looking pg but I’d be shocked if he was a one and done. I don’t see an nba player yet.

GeorgiaZagFan
11-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Arizona had given up an average of 58 points per game this year...the Zags scored 56 ...in the 2nd Half!!!!

23dpg
11-20-2018, 10:18 PM

Yeah I took exception to that comment. The poster said that the team was mentally weak but he meant that they were playing mentally weak. I wouldn’t have said either but I’ll give him that distinction.

rennis
11-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Best half against an elite program in a while. If Norvell hits a single 3 in first half and a couple free throws drop we never would have sweat this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
11-20-2018, 10:20 PM
Does the comeback make up for Blakeís bank or the humiliation in Staples?

Birddog
11-20-2018, 10:21 PM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
With apologies to Charles Dickens

Ekrub
Lol the game thread is immediate reaction, emotionally based spewings of fans. It's not that serious.

TexasZagFan
Seems to me that Chase Jeter wasted his transfer year...should've signed with the Zags for the Olynyk Clinic.

Ekrub
11-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Does the comeback make up for Blake’s bank or the humiliation in Staples?

Blake's bank... That entire game... Nothing to be ashamed of. Was humiliation in staples the tourney game vs az?

TexasZagFan
11-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Lol the game thread is immediate reaction, emotionally based spewings of fans. It's not that serious.

During the first half, I was switching over to a recording of American Greed (the wine fraud episode). Guess I'm one of those mentally weak fans! lol

Ekrub
Seems to me that Chase Jeter wasted his transfer year...should've signed with the Zags for the Olynyk Clinic.

I'll take Clarke all day over Jeter.

ZagMan in Philly
I’m done with game threads. A sad excuse for discourse.

I know, Sad. Can't expect the whole game going your way. Got to believe.

TexasZagFan
11-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Blake's bank... That entire game... Nothing to be ashamed of. Was humiliation in staples the tourney game vs az?

For me, going to the Final Four two years ago exorcised all of our demons.

thespywhozaggedme
11-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Yeah I took exception to that comment. The poster said that the team was mentally weak but he meant that they were playing mentally weak. I wouldn’t have said either but I’ll give him that distinction.

It's me, you can say my name. Yes I meant at that particular time. I may have not articulated it as well as I would have liked but I also said that it is not a fixed position, it is a choice. In the second half they bowed up and chose to be mentally strong. I cheer for them unconditionally either way. For crying out loud it's almost 2 AM and I have to work in the morning and I'm still up. I'm such a loser.

thespywhozaggedme
11-20-2018, 10:27 PM
I know, Sad. Can't expect the whole game going your way. Got to believe.

The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I agreed with you and said that talent will prevail when we were down by seven but I am still also able to point out how crappy we were playing. You're trying to apply logic and reason to grown men and women that post about young men trying to put a ball through a hoop. Just remember, fan is short for fanatic.

Ekrub
11-20-2018, 10:28 PM
For me, going to the Final Four two years ago exorcised all of our demons.

I was at the NC game with my father in law. Felt like we hit the summit..... all day, a celebration. Had a fantastic time at the expo, pre game, during the game... But those final few seconds stung.... This program has one more hurdle. Great chance with the talent we have to overcome that final hurdle.

ZagMan in Philly
11-20-2018, 10:30 PM
The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I agreed with you and said that talent will prevail when we were down by seven but I am still also able to point out how crappy we were playing. You're trying to apply logic and reason to grown men and women that post about young men trying to put a ball through a hoop. Just remember, fan is short for fanatic.

:cheers:

23dpg
11-20-2018, 10:30 PM
It's me, you can say my name. Yes I meant at that particular time. I may have not articulated it as well as I would have liked but I also said that it is not a fixed position, it is a choice. In the second half they bowed up and chose to be mentally strong. I cheer for them unconditionally either way. For crying out loud it's almost 2 AM and I have to work in the morning and I'm still up. I'm such a loser.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/14e6/f/2015/167/f/a/i_m_not_a_rat__by_limabiel-d8xmbnm.png

ProVeeZag
11-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Consider that 6 different Zags picked up 2 or more fouls in the 1st half (Josh, Clarke, Rui, CK, Crandall (3), and JJ (3)). Yet no one fouled out despite staying aggressive and pushing the tempo on the 2nd half.

We were whistled for 16 fouls in the 1st half, but only 6 in 2nd half.

Turnover-wise, GU had only 2 in the 2nd half while creating 11 AZ turnovers.

ZagsGoZags
11-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Jeter and B. Williams will think about GU tonight when they lay their heads on their pillows.

GonzaGAW
11-20-2018, 10:38 PM
- good coaching maybe? it was said few told the team at half, quit fouling and quit turning the ball over.
- this as much as anything changed the game around. we put up around 12 more shots in the second half, and Arizona made just a few free throws in the second half.

- better team won of course, shot better from the floor, rebounded better, and had 22 assists and Arizona..............3! team basketball wins out almost always.

23dpg
11-20-2018, 10:39 PM
Doesn’t Maui show the post game pressers? Any one know where to find them?

ZagMan in Philly
11-20-2018, 10:40 PM
Jeter and B. Williams will think about GU tonight when they lay their heads on their pillows.

We rolled out the red carpet for them. Oh Well.

tenniszag
11-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Does the comeback make up for Blake’s bank or the humiliation in Staples?

I’ll take our program trajectory over Arizona’s right now. The Lute Olson golden era was a long long time ago. So was Blake’s bank.

BavarianZag
11-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Doesnít Maui show the post game pressers? Any one know where to find them?

Saw it here if you have this social media platform:
https://www.facebook.com/ZagMBB/videos/122100598684825/

Zagceo
11-20-2018, 10:43 PM

:doh::p

ProVeeZag
11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
- good coaching maybe? it was said few told the team at half, quit fouling and quit turning the ball over.
- this as much as anything changed the game around. we put up around 12 more shots in the second half, and Arizona made just a few free throws in the second half.

- better team won of course, shot better from the floor, rebounded better, and had 22 assists and Arizona..............3! team basketball wins out almost always.

So true, assist totals tell a lot about team chemistry. It's a family thing!

Robzagnut
11-20-2018, 10:51 PM

Don't know what the problem was... I was out hiking, finally got done, got in my car and turned on the radio. Ammo was lamenting that only Rui was having a good offense game and that Norvell hadn't made a shot. GU was down by 13. By the time I got home they cut it to 6. Turned on the TV and it got even better. Missed every bit of the bad stuff.

Great night.

MDABE80
11-20-2018, 10:56 PM
If the team who played the last 10 minutes of tonight’s game shows up for a full game, we have a chance....but.....

23dpg
11-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Saw it here if you have this social media platform:
https://www.facebook.com/ZagMBB/videos/122100598684825/

Thanks

ZagMan in Philly
11-20-2018, 11:41 PM
Arizona Post Game
http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-wildcat-basketball-press-conference/sean-miller-press-conference-after-loss-to-gonzaga-127909/msg15758/?topicseen#new

Robzagnut
11-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Arizona Post Game
http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-wildcat-basketball-press-conference/sean-miller-press-conference-after-loss-to-gonzaga-127909/msg15758/?topicseen#new

Lot of respect for Miller after watching this clip. Thanks for posting it.

hooter73
11-21-2018, 12:02 AM
My post game thoughts are that we will be run ragged by February if our bench can’t contribute more than 8 points. Really it’s our 5-9 guys. Kispert can do it but isn’t, and the rest that should be helping... aren’t. When Tillie bumps back into the starting lineup and those bench guys decide to get it together, then we will have a team. Duke is about to take us to the woodshed as is though I’m afraid.

Skimhvn
11-21-2018, 12:40 AM
There's no Arizona forum where many people post even though there are some boards:roll::roll:

cggonzaga
11-21-2018, 12:49 AM
My post game thoughts are that we will be run ragged by February if our bench can’t contribute more than 8 points. Really it’s our 5-9 guys. Kispert can do it but isn’t, and the rest that should be helping... aren’t. When Tillie bumps back into the starting lineup and those bench guys decide to get it together, then we will have a team. Duke is about to take us to the woodshed as is though I’m afraid.

:vomit-smiley-007:

CDC84
11-21-2018, 01:25 AM
For the first time in his broadcasting history, Jay Bilas FINALLY called Gonzaga a HIGH MAJOR basketball program that is playing in a mid major conference. I swear with my hands on 12 stacks of bibles he has NEVER said this on air. He has ALWAYS referred to GU as a mid major team.

FINALLY, FINALLY the man uses common sense. This program spends, collects revenue and gains more profit than most Pac 12 men's basketball programs. Just because you have football doesn't mean your school uses "football money" on its basketball programs.

Now if we can finally get the silly midmajormadness site to change its tune (Gonzaga is outspending most of those teams 4 to 1), we can have some measure of sanity. No coach from a non-BCS/Big East league should be expected to do what GU has done. They shouldn't be compared to them. It is unfair. They are dealing with a different deck of resources.

rawkmandale
11-21-2018, 01:48 AM
For the first time in his broadcasting history, Jay Bilas FINALLY called Gonzaga a HIGH MAJOR basketball program that is playing in a mid major conference. I swear with my hands on 12 stacks of bibles he has NEVER said this on air. He has ALWAYS referred to GU as a mid major team.

FINALLY, FINALLY the man uses common sense. This program spends, collects revenue and gains more profit than most Pac 12 men's basketball programs. Just because you have football doesn't mean your school uses "football money" on its basketball programs.

Now if we can finally get the silly midmajormadness site to change its tune (Gonzaga is outspending most of those teams 4 to 1), we can have some measure of sanity. No coach from a non-BCS/Big East league should be expected to do what GU has done. They shouldn't be compared to them. It is unfair. They are dealing with a different deck of resources.

Thank you for posting this. I rather like Jay Bilas, so the words are sweet.

rawkmandale
11-21-2018, 02:17 AM
Short personal story. My oldest son is an Arizona grad - loves his Wildcats, but lives in NYC now. He likes the Zags except when playing U of A. He is a great guy - mission trips to Peru and (twice) to Madagascar, etc. Tonight he was flying from NYC to Spokane for Thanksgiving. Before the flight, I had predicted GU by 18. He didn't ask for a bet, noting that Arizona is not in the top 25 for a reason. He texted me from an airport bar in SF during the first half. He was happy, and I noted that Gonzaga would be lucky to not lose by 18 if the turnovers didn't stop. Well, when he landed in Spokane, he texted asking how the game came out, then texted "oh damn, just saw the score...wow." I was just happy that he hadn't taken Arizona plus 18 LOL. In retrospect, we looked like a high school team in the first half, and then an NBA team in the second half, all spurred by the steal and then the dunk by Snacks, quickly followed by the 3 from Kispert. Everything changed in a heartbeat. I am happy that I had not lost the faith - this team is special.

CDC84
11-21-2018, 04:08 AM
Thank you for posting this. I rather like Jay Bilas, so the words are sweet.

I like Bilas as well, but this has been my one issue with him, and now he has finally turned the corner. Again, it's not that I view the mid major label as an insult. It's just inaccurate, and it causes a lot of non-BCS athletic directors to foolishly believe that they can do what Gonzaga has done without investing the money, with having the disadvantage of having a bunch of BCS conferences around them which makes recruiting more challenging than it is for GU at the beginning and so on. Fortunately, in recent times, we have seen less firings at the non-BCS level, but around 8 years ago or so is was getting to be absolutely insane. One notable college basketball scribe referred to it as the "Gonzaga Syndrome."

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2018, 04:33 AM
About that game last night (pardon length...so much to say!):

- Rui gets plenty of attention from media and GUNation, yet oddly enough I think we take him for granted at the same time. It is UNBELIEVABLE how dominant he has become....clearly the go-to player for this team who has fully embraced his role. He just knocks down shots; unaffected by the pressure or the moment. His basketball skills development since arriving at Gonzaga is more impressive to me than even Olynyk's...not to mention his cultural adjustment, language etc. After seeing him shine like he is now and understanding how he has adjusted and grown, I don't know how/why any high end international recruit could choose any other school if offered by Gonzaga.

- Rui, Clarke and Perkins shot a combined 25-36 from the field last night (6o total points); Norvell and Kispert shot a combined 7-23 (23 total points). As much as I love Norvell and recognize he has to keep shooting as this team needs him to score in order to win, his 18 fg attempts (3-13 three's) is too high for a team that thrives by making plays for one another. Norvell and Kispert MUST shoot well vs Duke for Zags to have a chance.

- Kispert baffles me...huge fan of his heart and hustle, but he seems to be a player who simply does not perform as well under the lights as he does in practice (or scrimmaging vs NBA players in WA).

- I LOVE Perkins and will always root for him, but he is such an enigma to me. He made several unforced turnovers, again, yet obviously doesn't get rattled by those errors in terms of confidence. He knocks down big shots when team needs a bucket. As maddening as his play can be at times, I will gladly ride w J.P....the blood and sweat he has poured into this team, and his first half scoring binge in first half of NCAA Championship game vs UNC tell me all I need to really know about him. He is a winner.

- Crandall.....not to say I told you so but I well recall how bummed I was when we learned he would not arrive until October and made several comments to the effect people are underestimating how much this is going to hurt him and the team. Grad transferring w no redshirt year to learn the ropes is high risk high reward for player and program...never been done so late into a season like Crandall is trying to do. He is obviously a better player than what we've seen but clearly not ready for major minutes yet. Hope he stays positive and attitude doesn't tank after being benched entire 2nd half last night (I'm pretty sure..not certain). How can he not have thoughts of 'wow, I may be a bit role player for my final year of D-1 eligibility.' I TRUST his teammates and coaches will keep him engaged, positive, bring him along during WCC play and get him ready to shine later in the season...but he ain't ready now that's for sure.

- Infuriating that the Championship game is being played so early today with consolation games to follow...what tournament does that? Agree w Morrison's radio comment (per Section's thread) that this is likely so Duke's PR firm ESPN (my nickname not Ammo's) can air the game in early eve rather than late night.

ZagMan in Philly
11-21-2018, 04:58 AM
Don't know what the problem was... I was out hiking, finally got done, got in my car and turned on the radio. Ammo was lamenting that only Rui was having a good offense game and that Norvell hadn't made a shot. GU was down by 13. By the time I got home they cut it to 6. Turned on the TV and it got even better. Missed every bit of the bad stuff.

Great night.

I lost 10 years of my life in the first half, then got 20 years back in the second half. All good, feeling 10 years younger:)

jazzdelmar
11-21-2018, 04:59 AM
Kudos to Few for managing a near untenable foul situation, and for blowing his stack, channeling his inner Koach.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2018, 05:02 AM
Rui following in the big steps of Ronny, KP and the Bonus as international stars but also as cross cultural ambassadors for the GU program and for American basketball. His walk w Bilas was wonderful. What a splendid young man. Love him........

DixieZag
11-21-2018, 05:04 AM
I was 100% wrong about this game.

It does go to show me how much the refs make a difference. This tournament has had major weaknesses with refs dictating games. First half last night dictated that our guys couldn't be aggressive, and that's all that's necessary.

ZagMan in Philly
11-21-2018, 05:07 AM
agree with Flex on Rui and the game time today. Why 5pm Eastern??? Should be 7 or 8pm. Most people are fighting traffic at 5pm.
Rui was a man out here among boys. He has no fear and how big the moment was. He just knocked down shots.
I will give our Zags a fighting chance tonight, just go out and play your game. We have more overall talent.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2018, 06:24 AM
There's no Arizona forum where many people post even though there are some boards:roll::roll:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5450

mnzag24
11-21-2018, 06:26 AM
I'll take Clarke all day over Jeter.

Clarke was a monster. His defense and energy in the 2nd half set the stage for the come back. If not for foul trouble he's got 25+ tonight.

Zagceo
11-21-2018, 06:49 AM
Petrusev 9 min last night.....Few does not trust him..why?

Kispert 33 min why does Few trust him so much?

GrizZAG
11-21-2018, 06:52 AM
That game was a good lesson for us golfers. If you shoot crap on the front you can regroup and tear up the back. The mental drive to shake it off was amazing last night. This is what winners do. We all shank a few now and then, but hey...stay focused. This team has mental toughness no doubt.

MileHigh
11-21-2018, 06:54 AM
I like Bilas as well, but this has been my one issue with him, and now he has finally turned the corner. Again, it's not that I view the mid major label as an insult. It's just inaccurate, and it causes a lot of non-BCS athletic directors to foolishly believe that they can do what Gonzaga has done without investing the money, with having the disadvantage of having a bunch of BCS conferences around them which makes recruiting more challenging than it is for GU at the beginning and so on. Fortunately, in recent times, we have seen less firings at the non-BCS level, but around 8 years ago or so is was getting to be absolutely insane. One notable college basketball scribe referred to it as the "Gonzaga Syndrome."

When someone describes Gonzaga as a mid major I dont even pay any attention. "Mid major" isn't a label that describes the strength of a program it is merely a description of thier conference. No matter how well Gonzaga does they play in a mid major conference so they are a mid major, just as no matter how poorly Washington State does,they play in a major conference so they are a "major" program. Gonzaga is clearly and unequivically the best mid major program in the country. Thats pretty tall cotton.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Surprises me too, but I don't question Few's judgment at this point. He is the professional coach who knows his players and his team a lot better than we ever will, so he must have his reasons. Gutsy move benching Crandall for entire 2nd half too....yet Zags made a big comeback and beat AZ so I trust his judgment.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Few always has his faves, but it's usually a low risk, D-oriented player. Think Hart. Kispert has an awful looking shot, makes duh decisions and is D-challenged. Yes, he did hit that big 3, but 1-5 overall......OTOH, Petro seemed rattled. His foul shooting is somewhere in Serbia and his D is over the back bad. Once Tils returns, Kispert goes back to 7th/8th man.

Zagceo
11-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Yeah Petrusev has the freshmen over the back syndrome..so does Clark and it’s so frustrating. Clarke is so bouncy active will put up with 1 silly foul not 2 per game.

HenneZag
11-21-2018, 07:29 AM

Petrusev provides spot minutes right now, he is not quite ready for stage yet imo. Not trying to be hard on the kid, he has great instincts and a good stroke. He needs to be much stronger with the ball, idk how many times he lost the ball just going up to the basket, Duke will eat that alive.

JPtheBeasta
11-21-2018, 07:29 AM

I made a mistake and misunderstood you in the past. You love the Zags and that is without question.

Zagceo
11-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Petrusev provides spot minutes right now, he is not quite ready for stage yet imo. Not trying to be hard on the kid, he has great instincts and a good stroke. He needs to be much stronger with the ball, idk how many times he lost the ball just going up to the basket, Duke will eat that alive.

yeah tough watching those balls just flying off/outta his hands.

mgadfly
11-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Few had to change the defensive game plan half way through a game. He talked about how you can't do that with a young team but they were able to pull it off in the second half. It makes sense the guys who didn't play (Geno and Petrusev) are also the guys with the least familiarity with the system.

Usually coaches have favorites for a reason. One reason I think otherwise knowledgeable people tend to forget on this board is that having a player who knows where to be and why within the system opens up more options in the playbook.

Miller talked about GU changing to a switch everything man to man in the second half and how effective if was because how quick Rui and Brandon are allowing them to shut down Arizona guards in isolation. With that change in defensive strategy it may have been something Petrusev was not prepared to do or able to do (he isn't as quick as our starters). Geno isn't as big as CK and isn't as prepared to get switched onto a big guy and bang with him in the post. So it isn't just a question of how effective a player has been, but also about what they've been prepared to do and whether their strengths are what you need to execute a specific strategy.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Few had to change the defensive game plan half way through a game. He talked about how you can't do that with a young team but they were able to pull it off in the second half. It makes sense the guys who didn't play (Geno and Petrusev) are also the guys with the least familiarity with the system.

Usually coaches have favorites for a reason. One reason I think otherwise knowledgeable people tend to forget on this board is that having a player who knows where to be and why within the system opens up more options in the playbook.

Miller talked about GU changing to a switch everything man to man in the second half and how effective if was because how quick Rui and Brandon are allowing them to shut down Arizona guards in isolation. With that change in defensive strategy it may have been something Petrusev was not prepared to do or able to do (he isn't as quick as our starters). Geno isn't as big as CK and isn't as prepared to get switched onto a big guy and bang with him in the post. So it isn't just a question of how effective a player has been, but also about what they've been prepared to do and whether their strengths are what you need to execute a specific strategy.

Good stuff!! Thanks

Worthington
11-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Am I crazy or is Kispert actually looking like one of our better defenders?? That possession where he fought Jeter in the post and forced a steal was pure grit.

Zaga
11-21-2018, 08:08 AM
I am not sure why it bothers me so much but I just cannot stand watching BB players fumble around with their mouth guards during the game. Anyone else?

Go Zags!

Zagceo
11-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Thanks

Zagceo
11-21-2018, 08:12 AM
I am not sure why it bothers me so much but I just cannot stand watching BB players fumble around with their mouth guards during the game. Anyone else?

Go Zags!

you a germaphobe like my wife? )

billyberu
11-21-2018, 08:28 AM
When someone describes Gonzaga as a mid major I dont even pay any attention. "Mid major" isn't a label that describes the strength of a program it is merely a description of thier conference. No matter how well Gonzaga does they play in a mid major conference so they are a mid major, just as no matter how poorly Washington State does,they play in a major conference so they are a "major" program. Gonzaga is clearly and unequivically the best mid major program in the country. Thats pretty tall cotton.Ahhh... semantics.

Gonzaga is a borderline elite program trending up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bogozags
11-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Coach Few stated after the Illinois game that he felt Filip was not aggressive enough, which is why his minutes were limited. In the AZ game, he just couldn't handle the ball when he got it.

Kispert on the other hand is pretty consistent in each game...he hasn't had a good shooting game YET but he plays like Bell and gets better on "D" each game...his shot just isn't falling - his mechanics are good but the shot just isn't going down.

Both will get better each game...IMO

PS: Regarding the 5pm EST Tip-Off, I find the start time to be just fine...the first two games for us were DVR games - sorry if y'all have to work but DVRing is the next best thing to watching it live...imo

drvenkman05
11-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Nope, he is our worst defender. Dan Dickau has said he is a liability on defense, so that is a fact, jack!

But seriously, the guys, Corey included, really played some nice defense in the second half.

Am I crazy or is Kispert actually looking like one of our better defenders?? That possession where he fought Jeter in the post and forced a steal was pure grit.

Zagceo
11-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Coach Few stated after the Illinois game that he felt Filip was not aggressive enough, which is why his minutes were limited. In the AZ game, he just couldn't handle the ball when he got it.

Kispert on the other hand is pretty consistent in each game...he hasn't had a good shooting game YET but he plays like Bell and gets better on "D" each game...his shot just isn't falling - his mechanics are good but the shot just isn't going down.

Both will get better each game...IMO

PS: Regarding the 5pm EST Tip-Off, I find the start time to be just fine...the first two games for us were DVR games - sorry if y'all have to work but DVRing is the next best thing to watching it live...imo

looked it up...Notre Dame vs Wichita state 2017 Championship game was 7:30 Pacific....this is about Lebrons Lakers playing in Cleveland. eyeballs

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Yeah, he did a great job being physical and fronting Jeter there. That was the possession that ended in Jeter turning it over then getting T’d up and fouling out. Huge play that proves Gadfly’s excellent point about team concepts on D (switch everything) dictating who plays. Crandall could not switch onto Jeter and front him like that; Petrusev too slow / big for switch everything D

JPtheBeasta
11-21-2018, 09:43 AM

Petrusev, it seems to me, doesn’t look ready for prime time. He doesn’t get into his moves very easily yet and is getting pushed around. Rui and Clarke managed to avoid foul trouble and Petrusev wasn’t really needed in the second half.

ZagsObserver
11-21-2018, 09:43 AM
looked it up...Notre Dame vs Wichita state 2017 Championship game was 7:30 Pacific....this is about Lebrons Lakers playing in Cleveland. eyeballs

I suspect you are right. What a shame. It might be the premiere game in the country for the entire non-conference slate and the time is not conducive to wide viewership.

Hoopaholic
11-21-2018, 09:47 AM

He actually is a very good team defender, off ball and rotation are clean, timely and concise

His on ball suffers because of his engagement in off ball coverage and inability to quickly recover thus seems be half step behind on dribble defense

But I seem to be one of the few who view it this way...( coaching staff seems to be pleased with his efforts as he is second in minutes played)as to DD I am not sure he ever played defense unless you consider leaking out early as a defensive scheme so he could shoot

Mantua
11-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Thanks for figuring that out for us. Cleveland will be a dramatic show tonight. NBA fans will be tuning in just to see if LeBron will be cheered or booed. Iím ignoring the NBA for awhile because itís been just too crazy lately. During every broadcast contracts seem to be the most important underlying theme.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Arizona is not a very good team. If this is Seanís valedictory I donít see them making the tournament. As for Williams I think heís got a couple years before someone will pay him to play. He might want to grow a couple of inches as well. If he 6-2 that Iím Georgie Muresan.

mgadfly
11-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Arizona is not a very good team. If this is Sean’s valedictory I don’t see them making the tournament. As for Williams I think he’s got a couple years before someone will pay him to play. He might want to grow a couple of inches as well. If he 6-2 that I’m Georgie Muresan.

I'm a hair under 6'5" so probably 6'6" or 6'5" in a team program. I have run into BW a couple times this week, and I think he's at least 6'1" and isn't being stretched nearly as much as a few other guys I've run into. I also sat at the bar next to David Robinson this week and he told us he is 7'1" tall. I believe him.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2018, 10:28 AM
I'm a hair under 6'5" so probably 6'6" or 6'5" in a team program. I have run into BW a couple times this week, and I think he's at least 6'1" and isn't being stretched nearly as much as a few other guys I've run into. I also sat at the bar next to David Robinson this week and he told us he is 7'1" tall. I believe him.

Fair enough I defer to your eyeball experience. He still looks below six two to me And he also plays small. A terrific talent though no doubt about that but right now his strongest suit seems to be foul shooting. If he were 6-5 he would be with a real blue chip not a nouveau one.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2018, 10:31 AM
When someone describes Gonzaga as a mid major I dont even pay any attention. "Mid major" isn't a label that describes the strength of a program it is merely a description of thier conference. No matter how well Gonzaga does they play in a mid major conference so they are a mid major, just as no matter how poorly Washington State does,they play in a major conference so they are a "major" program. Gonzaga is clearly and unequivically the best mid major program in the country. Thats pretty tall cotton.

Huh? Bilas specifically said that we are a major program in a mid major conference, he said it a few times and he's correct.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2018, 10:33 AM
I made a mistake and misunderstood you in the past. You love the Zags and that is without question.

That's cool, thanks man. Happy Thanksgiving!

mgadfly
11-21-2018, 10:34 AM
Fair enough I defer to your eyeball experience. He still looks below six two to me And he also plays small. A terrific talent though no doubt about that but right now his strongest suit seems to be foul shooting. If he were 6-5 he would be with a real blue chip not a nouveau one.

I do think Harper for Auburn is, at most, 5'9". We ran into them at one of the hotels and he was standing next to a teammate listed at 6'0", and Harper wasn't even close. No way he is 5'11".

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2018, 10:36 AM
I would've loved for BW to commit to us and be groomed under Perks, he's gonna be a good one. But the entire Arizona team only had 3 assists the whole game, 3. Plus he's already been recruited over with Manion and there's no way BW is 1 and done.

MDABE80
11-21-2018, 10:54 AM
I still wish we would have signed Williams up for GU. I doubt he’s a one and done kid but 5 games in he looks very good. By game 30, he may be vastly improved. We finally played a very good defense in the 2nd half . We’ll need that. Last night though, we kept them running. 5 min left, they looked exhausted. We’ll see if we can do that to Duke today.

drvenkman05
11-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Oh, hoopaholic, how very wrong you are. DD was a great defender. He also clearly knows more than our coaching staff does, so why they don't listen to him, I'll never know!

Again, the guys, including Corey, played great defense in the second half last night. I hope it continues!

He actually is a very good team defender, off ball and rotation are clean, timely and concise

His on ball suffers because of his engagement in off ball coverage and inability to quickly recover thus seems be half step behind on dribble defense

But I seem to be one of the few who view it this way...( coaching staff seems to be pleased with his efforts as he is second in minutes played)as to DD I am not sure he ever played defense unless you consider leaking out early as a defensive scheme so he could shoot