PDA

View Full Version : The Gentry Connections

Zagceo
11-19-2018, 08:34 AM
some good info about Stephen Gentry and his journey.

Gentry, who helped introduce analytics to Underwood’s program, said his former boss is intense and an “incredible motivator” who brings out the best in players.

Underwood’s teams are distinctive at both ends of the court and he’s implementing his system in his second season at Illinois. On offense, they run what Gentry termed a “pinch post offense.”“You have to defend the cutting off the high post,” Gentry said. “Being on the other side of it, I can see why it’s such a tough scout when we were at SFA and Oklahoma State.”
The guard-dependent Illini apply unrelenting defensive pressure, challenging every dribble and passing lane.

The Few has a good quote

“It’s literally West Virginia in the halfcourt,” GU coach Mark Few said. “It’s going to be in your face, you’re not going to be able to run sets. All the habits we’ve been teaching them, you can throw them out the window and you just have to play, be strong with the ball, go north-south, and show your fouls.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/18/gonzaga-aide-stephen-gentry-strolls-down-memory-la/

JPtheBeasta
11-19-2018, 09:46 AM
"Show your fouls"... an under-valued talent. BYU does it in an annoyingly consistent way such that I think it is coached. I wonder how much Few and Co. coach this part of the game.

Birddog
11-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Underwood is a very capable coach, this could very well be a battle.

bigblahla
11-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Underwood is a very capable coach, this could very well be a battle.

It will be a battle Bird.... but the cream rises to the top.... gonna be a fun 3 days.... Happy Thanksgiving!

Go!! Zags!!!