PDA

View Full Version : Best "Dunker"?

MontanaZag
11-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Why not one more . . ..

Who is the best Slam Dunker to wear the Zags Uniform?

Errol Night?????

ZagSlug
11-04-2007, 06:24 AM
If you saw Reason's dunk against SMC the discussion would end there.

Calvary was a dunking machine, high volume of dunks with some serious power.

HOOTER
11-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Ronny always dunked with extreme authority. Knight had a ridiculous vertical leap which always made his dunks spectacular. There's been quite a few Zag's in recent years that could really put it down. I'd have to say though, by the end of Pargo's college basketball career he will probably take the crown as the best dunker in Gonzaga history.

former1dog
11-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Agreed, if the question was best dunk.

Dunker, I would go with the following, in no particular order.

Pargo, Reason, Calvary, and Josh.

brasszag
11-04-2007, 07:42 AM
#1 Calvary - the baddest man to wear a GU uniform. Also, the only one to pull down a backboard.

Angelo Roncalli
11-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Tony Sheen, the most gifted GU player (most of) you have never heard of.

Had a posterizing dunk over Mark Aguirre that was the equivalent of Calvary's dunk on Kenyon Martin.

Unlike Calvary, however, Tony wasn't very interested in playing basketball.

Honorable mention to Larry "Doc" Holiday. It was the only shot he could make, but me made some monsters in his brief career.

hondo46
11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I saw Doc take a ball in each hand and dunk each. That was 30 years ago and not too many guys were doing that at the time.

Birddog
11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Gary Lechman!

It's a joke.

Birddog

Buckwheat
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Sean Mallon. Best at dunking like an accountant.

eastsideballer
11-04-2007, 08:50 PM
No doubt about it, Casey was the beast in the east. He not only is white and only 6'8, he dropped rim on everyone he got near. Authority is the key and he had a big badge!
Second would have to be Errol, he didnt get to many chances in games but i can tell you he had a legit vertical and again used authority to distinguish himself.
Honorable mention goes to Todd Franklin lol joke

Birddog
11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
That new guy, Hondo,

Here's his tools

http://images.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0269-0610-0908-4035_SM.jpg

Zag79
11-04-2007, 09:14 PM
anthoyn reason had one of the sickest dunks ever thrown down by a zag so he is on the list automatically. casey and ronnie tie for authority dunks, erroll wins the out of nowhere to throw it down dunks and honorable mention to pargo, the short guy but can fly version of the above mentioned. ;) but my "thats an NBA dunk" vote is for JH. josh catching the inbounds lob was one of the best ive seen.

Gonezagaga
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Probably not going to be considered by very many as the best dunker at GU, but let's not forget about Matt Santangelo. He had some pretty sick dunks for a pt guard.

MedZag
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Sean Mallon. Best at dunking like an accountant.

With the vertical leap to clear a cheez it!

Thank you Rick Majerus.

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Tony Sheen, the most gifted GU player (most of) you have never heard of.

Had a posterizing dunk over Mark Aguirre that was the equivalent of Calvary's dunk on Kenyon Martin.

I have it on very good authority that Mr. Sheen missed said dunk on Mark Aguirre. :D

HillBillyZag
11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
While there is no doubt an authoritive slam in the face of an opponent is exciting I have seem some key scores missed on dunk attempts when a nice easy layup would have sufficed and got the job done.

HOOTER
11-05-2007, 08:53 AM
While there is no doubt an authoritive slam in the face of an opponent is exciting I have seem some key scores missed on dunk attempts when a nice easy layup would have sufficed and got the job done.

Wasn't it Skinner that missed that dunk against Cincinnati in the first round of the NCAA tourney a few years back? If he had made it the game would have been over, but they won anyway so I guess it really didn't matter.

PeninsulaDog
11-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Calvary was a dunking machine, high volume of dunks with some serious power.

I completely agree that Reason's dunk was the best of all time: I think it was in 2000 in Moraga. I remember after he did it, time seemed to stand still. Even the St. Mary's players and fans seemed to appreciate it, and there was that electric, excited murmuring in the crowd that you hear when something astonishing happens . . . it was that good.

I have to give honorable mention to Matt Stanford too. He pulled off a breakaway 180 at the WCC tournament at USF in 1993 that I still remember vividly. The dunk was great, but his reaction after was even better: As he ran back down the court, he turned to the GU section (in those days sparsely populated), lifted his arms in celebration. For me, that was the first time I saw the emerging Zag mojo that continues to this day.

former1dog
11-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I completely agree that Reason's dunk was the best of all time: I think it was in 2000 in Moraga. I remember after he did it, time seemed to stand still. Even the St. Mary's players and fans seemed to appreciate it, and there was that electric, excited murmuring in the crowd that you hear when something astonishing happens . . . it was that good.

What was funny was a guy won a Ford SUV at the halftime of that game by making a layup, free throw, three pointer and half court shot within 30 seconds.

I remember that halftime contest and Reason's dunk as the most exciting part of the game because we pretty much blew the Gaels out of that game.

I also remember that my buddies, who were are not GU alum but had been indoctrinated by me, were heckling the St. Mary's bench after Reason's dunk because we were seated right behind them.

Asotin
11-05-2007, 10:06 AM

Conversely I have seen many more missed layups (or blocked weak layup attempts) by bigmen who are too meek to throw it down than I have seen missed dunks that should have been layed in.

HOOTER
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Conversely I have seen many more missed layups (or blocked weak layup attempts) by bigmen who are too meek to throw it down than I have seen missed dunks that should have been layed in.

That's the truth. A dunk is usually a guaranteed two. What's more important is the effect that it has on the crowd. A good dunk can get the home crowd back into the game or silence a hostile away crowd.

ROOFnZAG
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Does anyone have a link to Reason's dunk so us younger folks who dont remember it can see it again?

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Those were pre-TV days son.

PeninsulaDog
11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Those were pre-TV days son.

There was no TV, and more amazingly the gym was about half-empty that night in Moraga. Those day are over.

MDS03
11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
2 categories:

Best Overall Dunker:
1. Calvary - always with power, huge hops
2. Reason - went to the rack strong every time
3. Pargo - not tall and still went right at several people last year
4. Knight - perhaps the biggest hops, unfortunately injury prevented seeing more
5. Ronny - more finesse than calvary, never hesitated to two-hand in the post
6. Josh - i think the best is yet to come from him

Best Dunks:
1. Reason - St. Mary's - just a huge "wow did that just happen?"
2. Calvary - posterizing K-Mart (no easy task)
3. Pargo - vs. Memphis last year down the lane
4. Pargo - 360

There's many more, but that's what I got off the top of my head!

Zag By the Bay
11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Brian Fredrickson was best dunker at GU...played in the late 80's with McPhee and Spradley....Flat out could fly/glide thur the air with authority. No offense to Casey or Ronny, but Freddy was the best I ever saw.

tyra
11-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I will never -- NEVER -- forget it.

Reborn
11-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Best dunker. Casey Calvary. I had a difficult time believing Casey was a thoroughbred.

Favorite dunker..Pargo. His two dunks against Memphis last year were just incredible as any that you all have talked about. He was going directly at their Monsters on both dunks on breakaways against their full court press.

And certainly Josh's tomahawk dunk against Baylor from an out of bounds pass was all time.

Nevtelen
11-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I will never -- NEVER -- forget it.

For me, that dunk just sort of put the exclamation point on an upand down season. It was so cathartic. It was like yelling, "Yeah, we've taken some hits, but we will keep on coming!" That was the "We're Here to Stay" dunk. That It still riles me up every time I see it.

lothar98zag
11-06-2007, 01:41 PM
For me, that dunk just sort of put the exclamation point on an upand down season. It was so cathartic. It was like yelling, "Yeah, we've taken some hits, but we will keep on coming!" That was the "We're Here to Stay" dunk. That It still riles me up every time I see it.
youtube?

brasszag
11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
The USD 360?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17Sc4gjxyc

SamwiseTheZag
11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
He was the 1996 Midnight Madness Dunk Champion, and by far the best Zag to never get serious PT!

Bulldog
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Casey Calvary, enough said.

Nevtelen
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
The USD 360?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17Sc4gjxyc

That was it exactly. It's a great dunk, but the emotion behind it at the time, with that being the last regular season game of _that_ season, and that being the last play... great great stuff.

D Hark 2003
11-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Calvary is by far the greatest dunker of all time(for Gonzaga). He sh*tted on kenyon martin, and broke a backboard, and had many many powerful tip jams and won the midnight madness dunk contest a couple of times.

Good call about pargo maybe being better after this year and next, only because he is shorter so it looks more spectacular when smaller guys are bangin out on people.