PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial starting lineup (saw practice today)

cggonzaga
11-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I was at today's coaches clinic and we got to watch a practice. It looks like they may go with a starting lineup of Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Daye and Kuso. Could've just been the way they were practicing but I don't think so. Daye hit a couple shots inside against Foster which was amazing considering he was getting them over Foster. His wingspan is unreal.

jigga5
11-03-2007, 09:43 PM
WOW daye starting from day 1, impressive

tyra
11-03-2007, 10:10 PM
This may have more to do with both Josh and Pendo having injuries.

zagster318
11-03-2007, 10:34 PM
This may have more to do with both Josh and Pendo having injuries.

Not good. :(

MDABE80
11-03-2007, 11:27 PM
As has been said, Pendo needs a bit more healing time. Josh will be watching for awhile. We'll win those first several games anyway. It's a good opportunity for the new kids to work with each other. As an aside, I really would like to see how LG does. No reason to rush things for either of these fine young Zags.

thickman1
11-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Not good. :(

I think this is okay. Better to have them healed up completely versus rushing them out in games that really don't matter. Sure a loss to Montana will hurt the pride and ego a lot but in the great scheme of things I'll take that versus a reinjuring of some type that takes either Josh or Pendo out for the season or a good portion of it.

HOOTER
11-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I agree that Daye starting is due to injury's. I think that Kuso's underrated and deserves to start, although he probably wouldn't if Heytvelt were healthy. No one else on the list is a surprise.

Nevtelen
11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Montana's Strait handed it to Fazekas in the Dance a couple years ago and he might really manhandle this lineup inside. OTOH, we have some *great* scorers in that bunch. If Kuso and Daye can keep it reasonable in the paint, we should be fine (especially at home). Still, that might be a worrysome line-up down low. As long as Josh and Pendo are in there and in good shape come the GAS, we should be fine. I agree it's better to risk a bit vs Montana than to stick either of them in too much and risk greater injury. They're both key for us this year.

spudzag
11-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I hope that the starting line up is Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, No doubt this group can put up points. I'm sure that Theo and Ira will be platooned to provide "beef" as needed.

HOOTER
11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I wonder if red shirting Foster is as likely as it seemed to be a couple of weeks ago now that it looks like Pendo and Heytvelt will sit out for the beginning of the season. I guess we'll find out for sure soon after the exhibition game.

zag67
11-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I think that Foster can play the exhibition game and then they have to make their decision. Can anyone confirm or say that this is right or wrong? But if I am right, then I think that we will not find out until the Montana game. I do not think that Josh or Hondo being out a short time would not change their mind on what to do. Because with Theo, Kuso, and Sacre, they are still stacked at the 5. And with Ira, Daye, Downs and Larry G. we are still covered at the 3/4. Also, if necessary, Bouldin could still swing into the 3. So I have to believe that if Will and the coaches agree that he needs a redshirt year to get ready, then it will happen. Now if we got hit with 2 or 3 more injuries, then all bets are off.

TheZagPhish
11-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I do not think that Josh or Hondo being out a short time would not change their mind on what to do.

Hondo's playing? Awesome!

HOOTER
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I think that Foster can play the exhibition game and then they have to make their decision. Can anyone confirm or say that this is right or wrong?

Correct. Few doesn't have to decide who to redshirt until after the exhibition game.

cggonzaga
11-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Josh wasn't practicing but was moving fine working on individual stuff after practice. Pendo was fine. He was playing the whole time with the team. I really think he will just be coming off the bench. Theo didn't practice and was limping. I'm thinking a toe or something. LG looked good. He is just a great defender and looks like he's jumping off a trampoline when he goes up. Gray is just a great shooter. Pargo, Bouldin and Downs are just so solid and experienced. We'll really rely on them during stretches of the season. Foster looked awful yesterday. I wish they'd redshirt him because he's not that far off. Ira didn't do much and I think LG may be ahead of him on the depth chart. Sacre played fine and his presence will really be apparent on the boards and on defense. It's crazy seeing our depth and that was without Josh and Theo.

zag67
11-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Has anyone thought about whether Ira might redshirt. I know that he is one of the older players, but with the time off for playing baseball, it might help him increase his capabilities. Therefore if he wanted to play at the next level, he would have better basics. With all of the people we have at that position and depending on how much be picks up on the team offense and defense, then it might be an option. Also depending on his position on the depth chart and with him and Hondo displaying a lot of the same types of hustle and skill, I was just wondering it they might wait and have him for the next 2 years after Hondo graduates.

HOOTER
11-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Also depending on his position on the depth chart and with him and Hondo displaying a lot of the same types of hustle and skill, I was just wondering it they might wait and have him for the next 2 years after Hondo graduates.

Who is this "Hondo" that you speak of?

zag67
11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I meant Pendo.

CDC84
11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I can assure you that Hondo's hair color isn't red. I can't tell you what color his hair actually is, but it is most certainly not red. ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the "unofficial" starting lineup that was put on display at the clinic ends up not being used against Montana. Few plays things close to vest around this time of year. But who knows.

Montana is not going to be a pushover. The Grizzlies are the hands down favorite to win the Big Sky, and has been pointed out, they do have size in the middle, which is probably a big reason why they're the heavy favorite to win their league. Idaho and UC-Riverside are several steps down from Montana in terms of their ability to challenge the Zags. I kind of wish GU was facing one of those teams first.

I would be surprised if anyone redshirts besides Will. Ira has a lot of ability and can give a ton of things to this year's team (especially leadership), but needless to say, the offensive system that was employed at Phoenix College might have 5% of the sophistication of what Gonzaga employs. And 5% might be generous. It's not any easy adjustment.

ROOFnZAG
11-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Because with Theo, Kuso, and Sacre, they are still stacked at the 5.

Really??? Does everyone think we are stacked at the 5? Thats what I think is our weakness. Without Josh in there, we have Kuso who isn't a great offensive player and gets his points off put backs. Sacre is young and raw, but could become our #2 option quick if his offensive skills develop quickly. and Theo, who isn't really a 5 at all.

When Josh heads to the bench this season, I will get worried unless Kuso improved a lot, which I did not see in the scrimmage besides some dunks off nice feeds, and Sacre develops into a reliable scorer, which wasn't witnessed in the scrimmage either.

zag67
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
As the season goes on, I think that you are going to see Josh as a 4 and facing the basket. He likes to wander and not crash the boards. Therefore if the summer ball of Theo (where he rebounded very well) means anything, then I think you will see him as a backup. And if Sacre plays the way all of us hope, then that will allow Josh to play away from the basket. Now that is not to say we will not have the likes of Josh, Micah, and Daye in there at the same time. But I think if you look at last years team, Josh likes to play away from the boards too much to be a real 5 (my opinion). So the coaches will work all of this out and I am just guessing.

cggonzaga
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Really??? Does everyone think we are stacked at the 5? Thats what I think is our weakness. Without Josh in there, we have Kuso who isn't a great offensive player and gets his points off put backs. Sacre is young and raw, but could become our #2 option quick if his offensive skills develop quickly. and Theo, who isn't really a 5 at all.

When Josh heads to the bench this season, I will get worried unless Kuso improved a lot, which I did not see in the scrimmage besides some dunks off nice feeds, and Sacre develops into a reliable scorer, which wasn't witnessed in the scrimmage either.

It seems like you're basing all of this on offense. Sacre, Kuso, Davis all provide depth on defense and rebouding. They may not be scoring machines right now but they are more than capable if need be. They just don't need to on this team.

zaguarxj
11-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Being able to anticipate and catch those "nice feeds" is a good skill to have. It's awful to see a penetrating guard make a great pass to a big man, only to have the ball get fumbled out of bounds. You better be alert with guys like Bouldin on the team. Sounds like Kuso did a pretty good job of catching and finishing in the scrimmage.

ROOFnZAG
11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Yea...I was mostly talking about offensively, but I was basically just saying I am going to need some proof (and hopefully I am proved wrong on wednesday and in the coming week) before I have a lot of confidence in our other bigs.

Reborn
11-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I am not surprised by this line-up. I am really looking forward to seeing Daye...well, I mean hearing about him because I won't be seeing the game for sure. I think we'll do just fine. Once our guys get playing inside of K2, and begin to hear the sound that can only be produced at K2, they will just fine.

Good report on LG. And I really like cggonzaga's reports because he sees things live, and is a good balance for BobZ's reports. BZ is return, rightfully so, to his "we're doomed" approach to a game.