PDA

View Full Version : Can Few get "A Rod Money?"

zagzilla
11-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Silly question and even sillier answer from an ESPN Chat

Tom (Houston): A few more "down" years for Gonzaga and Mark Few might finally be willing to pick up and move on to the glitz and glamour of big conference ball. Do you agree?

Kyle Whelliston: Not that he doesn't have enough glitz and glamour, what with having all his games televised, but there's likely to be some school out there that will give him an offer no sane man could refuse. Like A-Rod money, but for coaches. Dude's still young, got a lot of years left.

In the first place I don't know about these down years Tom from Houston is referring to. 10 straight tourneys is sort of like Joe Torre having down years with the Yankees going to something like 12 straight post-seasons. Don't see any down years for the forseeable future

In the second if Mark Few could ask for $350M I would want him to take it. Never happen though, Few is a Zag for life

hondo46
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
There will always be some very shallow people out there who will never understand that there is a lot more to life than gathering money. I don't think Few is one of them.

sanfranzagsguy20
11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
i think the question here should be can A-Rod get A-Rod money...Boras' contract demands are ridiculous but you know there is going to be some owner who drinks the kool-aid...i hope to god its not the giants

as for coach few, i for one would never blame him for taking more money at another school.. he won't be asking for it...

but someone eventually is going to be willing to give it to him...

sonuvazag
11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't see any reason why he can't earn A-Rod money at Gonzaga one day. The program shows no signs of slowing down its meteoric climb in college basketball prestige.

MickMick
11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
You have to believe that there will come a day when Mark Few decides to cash in. I might even expect a break from coaching altogether in between. He would be credible, entertaining, and very knowledgeable from the TV studio. And it would keep him in touch with the sport without going through the rigors of recruiting, etc.

No matter how much he currently loves his situation, there is always a possibility he will grow weary of the chase. There are four different actuators I can see prompting a change:

1) Zags win a championship and coach feels he has accomplished all he set out to do at Gonzaga. Billy Donovan almost fell into this...Rick Pitino did. I could see NBA offers for Few in such a scenario.

2) A string of off-court issues cause him to wonder if it is really worth it. Events like last season worry me in that respect, but it would probably take quite a few significant ones to make him throw his hands up in disgust. He decides to take a job at another institution believeing that "the special student/athlete" that comes to Gonzaga is no longer distinguishable from any other program.

3) Zags hit a rut and then decline to obscurity. The press becomes relentless on the issue of Few's job stability. He finally agrees to step aside in a mutual agreement with the school. (I consider this the least likely)

4) His dream job (with significant pay increase) opens up. The one spot he privately thought he would consider if offered. (I consider this the most likely) The nice thing about this is that Gonzaga may already be his dream job and he may decide to stay for a Bobby Knight type tenure. And with that kind of longevity and success comes legendary status for both him and the program.

HOOTER
11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Few really seems to enjoy life in the Inland Northwest. The cost of living here is fairly low, so I am sure he lives very comfortably on what he makes. He has been presented with some significant offers in the past and refused every one so, Lord willing, I think he'll stick around a while. I really think there is more to life than money to him anyway. He has built a successful program and is extremely comfortable in this community. I'm glad the Zag's have a head coach that has his priority's straight.

Larryzag
11-03-2007, 08:17 PM
You have to believe that there will come a day when Mark Few decides to cash in. I might even expect a break from coaching altogether in between. He would be credible, entertaining, and very knowledgeable from the TV studio. And it would keep him in touch with the sport without going through the rigors of recruiting, etc.

No matter how much he currently loves his situation, there is always a possibility he will grow weary of the chase. There are four different actuators I can see prompting a change:

1) Zags win a championship and coach feels he has accomplished all he set out to do at Gonzaga. Billy Donovan almost fell into this...Rick Pitino did. I could see NBA offers for Few in such a scenario.

2) A string of off-court issues cause him to wonder if it is really worth it. Events like last season worry me in that respect, but it would probably take quite a few significant ones to make him throw his hands up in disgust. He decides to take a job at another institution believeing that "the special student/athlete" that comes to Gonzaga is no longer distinguishable from any other program.

3) Zags hit a rut and then decline to obscurity. The press becomes relentless on the issue of Few's job stability. He finally agrees to step aside in a mutual agreement with the school. (I consider this the least likely)

4) His dream job (with significant pay increase) opens up. The one spot he privately thought he would consider if offered. (I consider this the most likely)

5) The Few's last kid graduates from high school and they decide they can now move without disrupting their family. Of course this is 20 years from now and GU has won 5 national championships.

sanfranzagsguy20
11-03-2007, 08:25 PM
great post mick...agree on everything except for the tv gig for few

two reasons...first i think coach few is a great guy but he would not be somebody i would tune in for to be "entertained"

second reason most of those guys who turn to tv for a year are guys who were fired or forced out...basically the guys who do do that almost always leave under less than pleasant circumstances...i would not be happy if few left on bad terms because that probably means the zags have a hit a road block

i agree that the most likely scenario is that he has his "dream job" offered to him

lets hope its gonzaga..or something like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kfVJg1BH_YE

MDABE80
11-03-2007, 11:23 PM
1. The reason the press keeps thinking money will make Coach leave is because it's what THEY feast on. Money is "thee" thing these days. Coach Few has other values. Over the next 10 years, he'll make over $15 to $20 million given his salary, spin offs and investments. All this in a community where it's inexpensive to live.

2. Family is of the utmost importance to him. He has a good one. If you guys could only see him picking up his kids from St Al's, you'd soon know how much he loves this community and how his family fits in with it.

3. Might be hard to believe but Coach is a pretty shy guy who (IMO) would have some difficulty in the big time markets. In those markets, the press hounds the coaches and their families. It's such a cumbersome existence for a simple guy. I don't think it would be acceptable.

4. The program here continues to develop. Privately, Coach couldn't be happier with how things are. He's smiling a lot more than I remember. If many of you have lived in the more glamorous places ( LA, NYC, Boston, etc.......glamorous is defined as what the press/media tells us to think is "glamorous"), you'd soon get this feeling that nobody really feels like it's "your" place. Home feels like "home" and even though it's hard to describe, I think Coach feels like this is his home now.

5. The Institution here is a bit different from other Universites. Smaller, more intimate, more understanding, non crazy, aggressive alumni with tons of goofy questions if a game or even 5 games are lost (in a row some years). No, this is Mark's program and he has his friends coaching with him. Pretty rare deal.

6. Excellence just doesn't happen. It's built, refined, rebuilt and tailored to reflects certain needs and talents. Flexibility is important. Coach have been the mainstay and has the opportunity to do pretty much what he wants.
When we read Katz's article as to how Coach didn't want the problem children around, he meant it. He wanted to move on and focus on last year's finish and the next year, we're now in. I'm surprised he relented. Anyway, Coach is in a pretty unique spot. He doesn't have to be compared to a Wooden or a whomever. Mark's the standard around here. He has no pressure except the pressure he puts on himself. In bigtime college hoops, that's rare.

About the only thing that might get him looking is some untoward, unanticipated event......say for example Fr Spitzer moves on and new President begins to chip away at the program or make Coach feel his direction and control are changing. Or that in some egofilled discussion, somehow some oddball feeling emerges that "Few needs GU more than GU needs Few". Somebody promulgates some hurtful agenda that might deteriorate loyalty.

I think Coach Few will be around for an awful long time. He's in great shape. The program's in great shape. We're in great shape. Let it be.......Abe:)

RenoZag
11-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Gonzaga and the Few crew seem a good match for one another. Hope it lasts a good long while.

GonzagaLove
11-04-2007, 07:35 AM
I hope Few learned a lesson from Dana Altman at Creighton. They are very similar situations (the Gonzaga job being the better of the two). Altman knows he was very lucky to get his job back. I am sure he would tell Mark to stay put and count his blessings.

lawzag
11-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Who knows - Few could one day become the Lou Paterno (sp?) of the west coast. :D Lou's been at Penn State now for what, 43 yrs I believe?

HOOTER
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Who knows - Few could one day become the Lou Paterno (sp?) of the west coast. :D Lou's been at Penn State now for what, 43 yrs I believe?

Joe Paterno has been with Penn State for 56 years.

Northspokane
11-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Actually 58 Years which includes this one. But who's counting? :D

FYI i liked the mixture of Lou Holtz and Joe Paterno hahaha I wonder how Joe Holtz is doing.

lawzag
11-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Okay, so I screwed up the name ... but the idea was right!

The Oregon Spike
11-05-2007, 07:44 AM
John Canzano of the Oregonian "gaurantees" that Few will be the head coach of the Oregon Ducks when the new arena opens in Eugene in 2008-09 (or 2010, cannot rememebr which).

Personally, I doubt it. If Few leaves, and he very well might..he will be lookign at bigger programs than a perennially middle of the pack Ducks squad. The team will always be behind the Arizona's and UCLA's.

DixieZag
11-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Agree with almost everything said but a "few" points.

1. No new President would dare touch the lovefest at the Ath Dep, all he would have to look at would be freshman enrollment before and after, not a possibility.

2. Oregon would be very hard to resist if all the terms were exactly right, like the money, the commitment to being a UCLA or Arizona (Lute Olson isn't exactly young by the way and I remember the program before him and it required a new coach AND I remember a time not long ago when people forgot how to spell UCLA). If Oregon told him "Tell us what you need to win the Pac 10 once every three years" and committed to giving it to him AND he felt his baby GU was in good hands and would not slow down much, then I worry. So I cheer for Oregon, it kills me.

3. I am actually hugely comforted by the fact that Grier took the SDU job, you know that as close as these men are, they talked things out big time and if Few had ANY thoughts of leaving anytime in the next 3,4,5, years, I don't see how Grier would leave.

Dix.

MedZag
11-05-2007, 09:51 AM
John Canzano of the Oregonian "gaurantees" that Few will be the head coach of the Oregon Ducks when the new arena opens in Eugene in 2008-09 (or 2010, cannot rememebr which).

You wouldnt believe how many Ducks ask my opinion on how how stable Few is in Spokane. Canzano's man crush has more pull around here then I thought.

The Oregon Spike
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I think Ernie Kent has done about as good of a job as anyone with the Ducks. He reruits like a madman. Yes, he lacks a littl on the "x's and O's" part of the job...but hey, overall the guy wins lotsa games.

Still, most Duck fans consider hi man absolute bumbling idiot, and thye are beyond convinced that their already is a sweetheart deal in place for Few when the new arena opens.

Teh connect the dots theory they LOVE to use is:
- Few-from area
- Few/Kilkenny-great friends
- Few-parents live there
- Phil Knight will pay any amount to get him (at least Duck fan thinks so)

Personally, I think if Mark Few where to leave..he would be looking at much, much higher profile jobs!