PDA

View Full Version : That Top-50 Drew Timme is our last hope.

BobZag
11-14-2018, 03:24 PM
"No, there is another."

Zagceo
11-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Cassius Stanley?

tinfoilzag
11-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Cassius Stanley?

I think he already narrowed it down to 3 P5 schools. That would be crazy if he picked us (not on his list) over Oregon, UCLA, Kansas.

Zagceo
11-14-2018, 03:47 PM
depends on what list you look at

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203633

Bob simple No would clear it up

BobZag
11-14-2018, 03:58 PM
I don't know whom.

Zagceo
11-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Top fifty short list that haven't committed.

ZagNative
11-14-2018, 04:15 PM
From ESPN: "2019 Hot Board: Elite prospects still weighing their options" (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25270659/elite-prospects-weighing-options)

3XaZag
11-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Mark Hamill or Carrie Fischer?

CDC84
11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Doomed!

JPtheBeasta
11-14-2018, 04:45 PM
I don't know whom.

Felt a disturbance in the Force?

BobZag
11-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Felt a disturbance in the Force?

The Force is strong with this one. He is most definitely out there. However, he keeps his identity concealed from Jedi powers.

soccerdud
11-14-2018, 05:33 PM
worth noting that foreign recruits (like zakharov and ballo, who have already been mentioned here) might not be currently on any recruit rankings list. i don't have any inside information, but that's the easiest explanation if you look at the top undecided recruits and no names look likely.

MickMick
11-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Zowie.

Too soon for grad transfer. Not many U.S. non commits.

Tommy pulls another rabbit out of his hat?

Hooray4Daye&Gray
11-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Soooooooooooo.........

What's Plan B?

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 06:44 AM
worth noting that foreign recruits (like zakharov and ballo, who have already been mentioned here) might not be currently on any recruit rankings list. i don't have any inside information, but that's the easiest explanation if you look at the top undecided recruits and no names look likely.

Both Ballo and Zakharov will be top 50 recruits once they enter the rankings (either by committing to a college or once Pavel takes his SAT and is college bound). We should land both in all honesty and if we do we could easily be rated the number 1 class. Corey Evans dropped Ballo's name yesterday and that was the first many of us had heard of that, but for the last several weeks I have been hearing about two international recruits (Pavel being one) that will mostlikely end up at Gonzaga (Ballo being the other). The one main issue we have with this class is a PG. Do not be suprised if one of those "committed" but not signed recruits backs out if the coach leaves and we are there to swoop him up. What PG would not want to play with this group!

raise the zag
11-15-2018, 06:52 AM
I must have missed it, but who is this Pavel we speak of?

jazzdelmar
11-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Is he on crutches?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-15-2018, 07:03 AM
Both Ballo and Zakharov will be top 50 recruits once they enter the rankings (either by committing to a college or once Pavel takes his SAT and is college bound). We should land both in all honesty and if we do we could easily be rated the number 1 class. Corey Evans dropped Ballo's name yesterday and that was the first many of us had heard of that, but for the last several weeks I have been hearing about two international recruits (Pavel being one) that will mostlikely end up at Gonzaga (Ballo being the other). The one main issue we have with this class is a PG. Do not be suprised if one of those "committed" but not signed recruits backs out if the coach leaves and we are there to swoop him up. What PG would not want to play with this group!

I'm wondering if there's any chance Dominic Harris reclassifies to 2019? Either that, a late addition / grad transfer, or 2019-20 PG duties are pretty much all on Greg Foster and Brock Ravet and Joel Ayayi (who I don't think has played much if any PG) Maybe Norvell asked to become PG if he stays?

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 07:16 AM
I must have missed it, but who is this Pavel we speak of?

https://247sports.com/player/pavel-zakharov-46058552/

He is enrolled at Montverde and is expected to be one of their main contributors this year. We are heavy favorites for him.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 07:18 AM
I'm wondering if there's any chance Dominic Harris reclassifies to 2019? Either that, a late addition / grad transfer, or 2019-20 PG duties are pretty much all on Greg Foster and Brock Ravet and Joel Ayayi (who I don't think has played much if any PG) Maybe Norvell asked to become PG if he stays?

I know the staff likes Foster a lot, love his athletism. He can handle the ball and pass, so he might not be a bad option, as his biggest weakness is his shot. With our firepower next year we might not need him to shot, just pass the ball to Snacks, Anton, Brandon, and Drew and we are good.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 07:41 AM
I'm wondering if there's any chance Dominic Harris reclassifies to 2019?

I do not see Dominic reclassifying at this point. The priority for the 2020 recruiting class is to bring in a guard to pair with Dominic. We are in a really good spot with a few top 50 guards for 2020. Donny has spent a lot of time at a specific school this fall watching a guard who has not been named on here who would go perfect with Harris. He could end up being one of the best guards to ever come through Gonzaga if we were to land him. Also, Harvey was going to visit and still might. Strawther has a visit set in Feb. as well. Although next years squad looks weak on guards, 2020 could be elite for guards. So maybe for next year it is a grad transfer we get for the one year gap (although there are some rumblings about a guard and spring signing period).

sittingon50
11-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Is he on crutches?

:clap:

ZagsObserver
11-15-2018, 09:07 AM
I do not see Dominic reclassifying at this point. The priority for the 2020 recruiting class is to bring in a guard to pair with Dominic. We are in a really good spot with a few top 50 guards for 2020. Donny has spent a lot of time at a specific school this fall watching a guard who has not been named on here who would go perfect with Harris. He could end up being one of the best guards to ever come through Gonzaga if we were to land him. Also, Harvey was going to visit and still might. Strawther has a visit set in Feb. as well. Although next years squad looks weak on guards, 2020 could be elite for guards. So maybe for next year it is a grad transfer we get for the one year gap (although there are some rumblings about a guard and spring signing period).

Thanks, Caldwell. Love your contributions here.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Caldwell. Love your contributions here.

Anytime. Love this forum and the great conversations that we can have about our Zags!

BobZag
11-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Is he on crutches?

Careful. This could result in a locked thread,

Who will guess correctly? Maybe win two tix.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Here is my guess

https://247sports.com/Player/Nimari-Burnett-46051244/

He will reclassify and sign with the Zags. Our staff has spent a lot of time at Prolific Prep this fall and Harvey was not our main target.

Worthington
11-15-2018, 10:33 AM

I'll put my money on Pavel Zakharov. Good chance he enters the top 50 conversation when Montverde's season starts up. I think our starting PG next year comes from the grad transfer market.

CDC84
11-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Here is my guess

https://247sports.com/Player/Nimari-Burnett-46051244/

He will reclassify and sign with the Zags. Our staff has spent a lot of time at Prolific Prep this fall and Harvey was not our main target.

Plays at the same high school that former Kansas star Josh Jackson played at.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 10:36 AM
I'll put my money on Pavel Zakharov. Good chance he enters the top 50 conversation when Montverde's season starts up. I think our starting PG next year comes from the grad transfer market.

Pavel and Ballo will both be Top 50 players when they enter the rankings. I do not disagree with you on next years point guard, just seems like Bob is hinting at something besides Pavel and Ballo and the only other PG name I keep here is Burnett, yet he is a 2020 guy.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Prolific Prep is where Jordan Brown went and we were there a lot last year building that relationship...

CDC84
11-15-2018, 10:41 AM
When do the recruiting services generally reveal their final rankings?? It seems as though the scouts base so much of their evaluations on AAU ball. I am thinking of a guy like Pavel who isn't ranked at all at 247 but who is, based on my understanding, a total top 50 player.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 10:49 AM
When do the recruiting services generally reveal their final rankings?? It seems as though the scouts base so much of their evaluations on AAU ball. I am thinking of a guy like Pavel who isn't ranked at all at 247 but who is, based on my understanding, a total top 50 player.

It depends on the service. Most of them will update after Spring AAU ball then again after the Summer session. A player like Pavel cannot be placed into the rankings until they are officially on the college path, which means enrolling in a high school and taking the SAT/ACT or verbally committing to the University of their choice. An example of this would be Martynas, as he went from unranked by 247 to top 50 after he was on the college path, aka committing to us.

hooter73
11-15-2018, 11:34 AM
I know the staff likes Foster a lot, love his athletism. He can handle the ball and pass, so he might not be a bad option, as his biggest weakness is his shot. With our firepower next year we might not need him to shot, just pass the ball to Snacks, Anton, Brandon, and Drew and we are good.

We've seen what a highly athletic non scoring point guard at GU does. Its not good.

JPtheBeasta
11-15-2018, 11:58 AM
We've seen what a highly athletic non scoring point guard at GU does. Its not good.

He did provide one of the most exciting moments in Gonzaga NCAA tournament history. I get your point but I do have fond memories of the full court drive and layup.

webspinnre
11-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Sort of - Prolific has an odd setup - while it's the same team, they've actually been attending three different schools in the past 4 or 5 years, as they've bounced around Napa.

caldwellzag
11-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Sort of - Prolific has an odd setup - while it's the same team, they've actually been attending three different schools in the past 4 or 5 years, as they've bounced around Napa.

That is very true. It is a basketball factory and the State of California has had a hard time figuring out how to handle these types of programs.

MickMick
11-15-2018, 12:23 PM

I would be inclined to go with this and would be very happy if it happened.

webspinnre
11-15-2018, 01:40 PM
That is very true. It is a basketball factory and the State of California has had a hard time figuring out how to handle these types of programs.

The whole situation is really strange. In the somewhat good news, I believe they're in the second year at their current school, so hopefully they'll develop some stability. The prep program approach is an odd sort of setup, and as you mention, they're unaffiliated with the CIF, so can only play other prep programs.

quasar1
11-15-2018, 11:40 PM
I heard tonite that Pavel Z will be signing tomorrow.

Irish_eliZAG
11-16-2018, 12:49 AM

wouldn't that be awesome!

ZagsObserver
11-16-2018, 06:02 AM

That would be a bevy of good bigs. But what about the guard position? Nothing tells me Ayayi will be in a position to contribute. I’d hate to rely on Foster or Ravet, at least for 2019.

raise the zag
11-16-2018, 06:15 AM
I don't know squat about Pavel Z.

I know he played pretty decently for Russia in a couple FIBA tournies.

Have seen a couple YouTube vids. He allegedly will enroll for Montverde this year, but has he?

I typically have a feel for upcoming recruits/signers.

Seems a mystery to me. No scouting report. Rankings. Nothing on social media. No real highlight vids.

He has been mentioned several times but not much else we truly know.

thespywhozaggedme
11-16-2018, 06:30 AM
I don't know squat about Pavel Z.

I know he played pretty decently for Russia in a couple FIBA tournies.

Have seen a couple YouTube vids. He allegedly will enroll for Montverde this year, but has he?

I typically have a feel for upcoming recruits/signers.

Seems a mystery to me. No scouting report. Rankings. Nothing on social media. No real highlight vids.

He has been mentioned several times but not much else we truly know.

He's not listed on the roster:

https://mvasports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 06:37 AM
He's not listed on the roster:

https://mvasports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

He will be his transition to the US hit a few bumps, but he is here and is practicing with Montverde and will be playing.

ZagsObserver
11-16-2018, 06:44 AM
He will be his transition to the US hit a few bumps, but he is here and is practicing with Montverde and will be playing.

As Raise the Zag mentioned, there is limited information and video on Pavel. What is your assessment and perspective on his ability?

Zagceo
11-16-2018, 06:52 AM
That would be a bevy of good bigs. But what about the guard position? Nothing tells me Ayayi will be in a position to contribute. I’d hate to rely on Foster or Ravet, at least for 2019.

Morrison mentioned that if Ravet was here this year he’d get some playing time from what he saw of him in Summer ball.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 06:53 AM
As Raise the Zag mentioned, there is limited information and video on Pavel. What is your assessment and perspective on his ability?

He is raw still, but has a ton of upside. From what I was told when the staff new that Pavel was heading to Montverde is when we back off of Balsa and turned our attention to Pavel. The staff feels like he has a higher ceiling and is a better fit to our program. That being said do not look at him like a Timme, as he is not a plug and play guy he is more of a project. Video footage is limited that is forsure, but he is a Top 50 recruit for sure and maybe even Top 25 for 2020 (my guess is he will end up being 2019 though).

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 06:54 AM
Morrison mentioned that if Ravet was here this year he’d get some playing time from what he saw of him in Summer ball.

I am not 100% sold on Ravet's yet, but when he has played against elite talent on the shoe circuit he has held his own. He can shot and he can pass that is not ever been questioned, it's his defense and athletism that is the biggest question mark.

ZagsObserver
11-16-2018, 06:56 AM
He is raw still, but has a ton of upside. From what I was told when the staff new that Pavel was heading to Montverde is when we back off of Balsa and turned our attention to Pavel. The staff feels like he has a higher ceiling and is a better fit to our program. That being said do not look at him like a Timme, as he is not a plug and play guy he is more of a project. Video footage is limited that is forsure, but he is a Top 50 recruit for sure and maybe even Top 25 for 2020 (my guess is he will end up being 2019 though).

As always, thanks for the wisdom. Excited to see him develop and maybe wear GU colors in a year or two.

GoZags
11-16-2018, 07:34 AM

I'm thinking you've got a pretty good source (smile). Even with the cavaet that nothing's in the bag until it is in the bag .... I'm feeling very good about another quality Zag (in this case a foreign big) in this class.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 07:45 AM

I have heard similar rumblings, hopefully we find out soon :)

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 07:46 AM
I'm thinking you've got a pretty good source (smile). Even with the cavaet that nothing's in the bag until it is in the bag .... I'm feeling very good about another quality Zag (in this case an foreign big) in this class.

I am feeling pretty good about 2 more quality bigs in the class, but you can't count your chickens before the eggs hatch.

23dpg
11-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Is Pavel a top 50 prospect? Or is there someone else?

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Is Pavel a top 50 prospect? Or is there someone else?

He is top 50 and so is Ballo, we are heavy favorites for both at this point. Neither are actually in the rankings right now, but will be as soon as they commit somewhere.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 07:48 AM
As always, thanks for the wisdom. Excited to see him develop and maybe wear GU colors in a year or two.

Anytime. He could end up being a great Zag that is here 3-4 years. I really like his upside.

dnj116
11-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Don't know anything about Pavel other than what has been said here, but that Ballo kid looked like such a force in those videos. That'd be great if we get Pavel, I just hope that it wouldn't then preclude us from also getting Ballo -- assuming we are in fact a heavy favorite for Ballo at this time.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Don't know anything about Pavel other than what has been said here, but that Ballo kid looked like such a force in those videos. That'd be great if we get Pavel, I just hope that it wouldn't then preclude us from also getting Ballo -- assuming we are in fact a heavy favorite for Ballo at this time.

Signing one should have no impact on the other. We are in a great spot for both and have a chance at an amazing class this year if we do in fact land both.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Here is some video of Pavel.

https://twitter.com/draftprosnba/status/1012258772675432450

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/1048967135937089536

quasar1
11-16-2018, 09:12 AM
I'm thinking you've got a pretty good source (smile). Even with the cavaet that nothing's in the bag until it is in the bag .... I'm feeling very good about another quality Zag (in this case a foreign big) in this class.

The best :)
I filed it under “couldn’t hurt to ask”. Ps. the zags are amazing to their fans and boosters. Fan for life.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 09:14 AM
The best :)
I filed it under “couldn’t hurt to ask”. Ps. the zags are amazing to their fans and boosters. Fan for life.

I completely agree! If you know who to ask you will get some great insight!

Zagceo
11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Here is some video of Pavel.

https://twitter.com/draftprosnba/status/1012258772675432450

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/1048967135937089536

whats a 9-1 reach mean?

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
whats a 9-1 reach mean?

Standing flat foot to the tip of his finger straight above his head.

Zagceo
11-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Standing flat foot to the tip of his finger straight above his head.

thanks

Mantua
11-16-2018, 10:05 AM
whats a 9-1 reach mean?

Mo Bamba has a record reach for the currently active NBA players.

“Mohamed Bamba DraftExpress Profile: scouting reports, videos, stats and logs. ... -Elite physical profile for a center prospect at 7'0, with a 7' 9 wingspan and a 9' 6 standing reach.”

Average reach for a center

Height (no shoes) Height (shoes) Wingspan Standing reach
Average 6’ 7.9” 6’ 9.4” 7’ 1.2” 8’ 11.0”
10th percentile 6’ 6.3” 6’ 7.5” 6’ 11.1” 8’ 9.0”
90th percentile 6’ 9.5” 6’ 11.0” 7’ 4.0” 9’ 1.5”

former1dog
11-16-2018, 10:09 AM
What is Bol Bol's reach?

former1dog
11-16-2018, 10:10 AM
What is Bol Bol's reach?

9'7" !! Wow!

MontanaCoyote
11-16-2018, 10:21 AM
I know we’ll need a real good point guard and backup and I could be wrong on this. But it seems to me that will that monster guy playing inside for Duke, among many other athletic hunks in college ball, we could use as many bigs as we can get, unless we come up with a true super big.

It’s the one thing I worry about this years team. We’re athletic inside and Clarke impresses. But Can we bang around inside with our guys against a Duke. Maybe we’re getting close to finding out?

23dpg
11-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Watching Tacko Fall for UCF right now. 7’6” with an 8 foot wingspan. Reportedly has over a ten foot reach.

caldwellzag
11-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Watching Tacko Fall for UCF right now. 7’6” with an 8 foot wingspan. Reportedly has over a ten foot reach.

Wow!! That is pretty amazing!

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-18-2018, 06:40 AM

With that first name, he should have been a Zag.

Zagdawg
11-23-2018, 07:17 PM
https://twitter.com/MeganTimme/status/1066164606144528384

webspinnre
11-24-2018, 08:49 AM
https://twitter.com/MeganTimme/status/1066164606144528384

I love it!

Zagdawg
11-24-2018, 04:27 PM
https://twitter.com/BKourtmixtapes/status/1066478842171269121

Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
3m3 minutes ago
More
Drew Timme played great today. Mark Few and the Zags getting a player with major upside, arose from a 120+ ranking and became a five-star this year

Had 12-16-10 in this game.

Zagdawg
11-24-2018, 07:06 PM
TexasHoops/GASO

Verified account

@TexasHoopsGASO
Follow Follow @TexasHoopsGASO
More
Passing vision of @drewtimme2 is just excessive at this point. One handed dimes in transition, fullcourt outlets, and skips from the post out of double teams... and they’re ALL on the money. @JJPbasketball leads Wauwatosa 66-44 in the 4Q #TexasHoopsRivals