PDA

View Full Version : 2019 - Oumar Ballo

thespywhozaggedme
07-07-2018, 10:37 AM
This kid is the next African big great after Embiid and Bamba. He's also the youngest player in the entire tourney at 15, won't be 16 until next Friday!!! Averaged 21/18 for the tourney! I expect Duke, Kansas and Kentucky to offer ASAP.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/0707/Mali-Dominican-Republic#tab=boxscore

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/player/Oumar-Ballo

katman50
07-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Impressive stats for such a young player. Or any player. Ya, Kentucky has probably already signed him.

thespywhozaggedme
07-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Impressive stats for such a young player. Or any player. Ya, Kentucky has probably already signed him.

Kai Soto was getting all of the buzz as the best big man before the tourney started but Ballo was just insane and he's blown up over the past week. Mali has a little jitterbug pg that's awesome too. Don't know if Tommy was in Argentina for the tourney but there were so many high major D1 prospects there it was bananas.

soccerdud
07-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Kai Soto was getting all of the buzz as the best big man before the tourney started but Ballo was just insane and he's blown up over the past week. Mali has a little jitterbug pg that's awesome too. Don't know if Tommy was in Argentina for the tourney but there were so many high major D1 prospects there it was bananas.

sounds like it's a good time to be one of the top programs (maybe, arguably, #1) at international recruiting. it also sounds like there's about to be a lot more competition for that title.

thespywhozaggedme
07-07-2018, 11:27 AM
sounds like it's a good time to be one of the top programs (maybe, arguably, #1) at international recruiting. it also sounds like there's about to be a lot more competition for that title.

Yeah, this tourney was probably the best compilation of high major D1 prospects in one place at one time ever. The Final Four is Canada vs USA and Puerto Rico vs France.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 08:02 AM
He's now mentioned in 3 different threads; 2019 recruits, 2020 recruits and Timmes welcome thread. lol So I figured we consolidate everything about him here. Apparently a very connected college hoops writer let it slip that we're the lead school for him. What's interesting is that most thought he was a 2020, but the way it was written, it looks like he could reclassify as a 2019; hopefully we can get clarification on this one way or the other. Anyway, regarding Ballo, he's a flat out beast, a man among boys. he averaged 21 and 17 in the World U17's this past summer, including 32/32 vs Dominican Republic, 26/19 vs China and 14/11 vs Serbia. he did struggle a little bit vs USA only putting up 7/10 but nevertheless this guy would be a HUGE get for us, literally and figuratively. He's Duke good.

willandi
11-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Is he a one and done? The NBA rankings really like him.

He is listed as a center. Timme is listed as a forward (I thought he was a center), but while it may be an embarrassment of riches, what happens when you have 3-4 strongly potential NBA guys vying for 2 spots?

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 08:06 AM
here he is abusing China. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvhT3b86N4

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:09 AM
Thanks Spy I was thinking about doing the same thing. Not sure if he is a 2020 guy or a 2019 guy, but if we land him to go along with Drew, Martynas, and Anton, wow that is some serious talent at the 3/4/5. Add in Clarke and Filip and we would have so much fire power all we would have to do is figure out how to get the ball up the court.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 08:09 AM
Is he a one and done? The NBA rankings really like him.

He is listed as a center. Timme is listed as a forward (I thought he was a center), but while it may be an embarrassment of riches, what happens when you have 3-4 strongly potential NBA guys vying for 2 spots?

you run them out like a hockey line and they all get drafted. lol ZC didn't start for us and was a lottery pick.

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:10 AM
you run them out like a hockey line and they all get drafted. lol ZC didn't start for us and was a lottery pick.

You could run a starting line up of Anton, Timme, and Clarke, with a second line of Martynas, Filip, and Ballo.

willandi
11-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Collins wasn't a lottery pick when he came to GU. It sounds like Balio might be.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 08:21 AM
You could run a starting line up of Anton, Timme, and Clarke, with a second line of Martynas, Filip, and Ballo.

That's nuts! That's Duke quality depth. Actually Duke is never that deep as Koach (credit to Jazz) only runs 7, max 8 players.

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:27 AM
That's nuts! That's Duke quality depth. Actually Duke is never that deep as Koach (credit to Jazz) only runs 7, max 8 players.

Crazy deep and if Pavel is really a project he could redshirt and be future depth for us. I have to say the success of our bigs has really paid dividens for our future recruiting. Now we just need a true PG, if I am a PG why would I not want to pass it to that group of bigs!

ZagsObserver
11-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Crazy deep and if Pavel is really a project he could redshirt and be future depth for us. I have to say the success of our bigs has really paid dividens for our future recruiting. Now we just need a true PG, if I am a PG why would I not want to pass it to that group of bigs!

Plus 1. I gotta think a pg will come in as a grad transfer. In fact, I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the outcome. Sg, too, if Norvell leaves for the draft.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 08:35 AM

Was hoping we'd get Petrusev's Srbian teammate Paunovic, but he signed a pro contract this summer. Shucks! I really wonder what rabbit Few and Tommy will pul outta their hats for pg for us next season.

strikenowhere
11-14-2018, 08:46 AM
How tall is Ballo?

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:47 AM
http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/player/Oumar-Ballo

Says 6'10, but kid is a beast!

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 08:48 AM
How tall is Ballo?

he's currently 6'10 but he's only 17 so hopefully he grows another inch or two, built like a brick house.

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Nice little article on him from 2017.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221193/mali-oumar-ballo-little-shaq-lot-potential-game-nba-draft

Zagdawg
11-14-2018, 08:52 AM
He is 16 years old--will not be 17 until next July.

Birth:
13 Jul 2002 (age 16)

Zagdawg
11-14-2018, 08:54 AM
I liked the opportunity here for development--

"He stands out first and foremost because of his height, massive frame, huge hands and 7-foot-5 wingspan that allows him to dominate the interior against other players his age, despite never having lifted weights seriously."

Zags_Fanatic
11-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Nice of Evans to give us a new itch to scratch the same day that Timme commits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:56 AM
I liked the opportunity here for development--

"He stands out first and foremost because of his height, massive frame, huge hands and 7-foot-5 wingspan that allows him to dominate the interior against other players his age, despite never having lifted weights seriously."

I agree. Looking at him more, he is probably not a plug and play guy like Timme is, but 2-3 years he could dominate college basketball. I had to remind myself most the footage on him was against 15 year olds!! Has the skills to be a stud, I love the Baby Shaq comparison.

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Nice of Evans to give us a new itch to scratch the same day that Timme commits.

I agree! Makes it fun to know we have a STUD in Timme committed, and now another STUD in Ballo considering us.

Mr Vulture
11-14-2018, 09:20 AM
This kid is 16 years old?? Yikes!! :cool:

bigblahla
11-14-2018, 09:32 AM
This kid is 16 years old?? Yikes!! :cool:

With a 7'5" wing span...

Go!! Zags!!!

raise the zag
11-14-2018, 09:39 AM
not good enough for one-n-done based on skills, yet his potential and god-gifted size is definitely good enough.

probably a 2 year player who will be drafted on attributes alone. could develop into a force, especially at Gonzaga.

looks dominate vs smaller eastern teams, but lacks polish/footwork/raw fundamentals, and could be called for fouls and traveling on many of those highlights.

athletic enough to know how to use his height advantage, and has naturally good coordination for a player his size. also, good motor, and nose for the ball on the boards.

would be a fantastic get and fit, as needs some serious coaching/development.

Zags_Fanatic
11-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Where in the world is Oumar Ballo?

Looks like he was training at CIBA in the Canary Islands (Pangos' old stomping grounds). In July it was reported that would transfer to Findlay Prep (NWG's old stomping grounds) but now hearing that he is going to train at the NBA Academy Latin America in Mexico City. As of right now the only roster he shows up on online is CIBA's on their U18 team but it's hard to know for sure where he is playing right now.

Zagdawg
11-14-2018, 09:40 AM
"Ballo's future plans, both according to him and his coach at CIBA, Santi Lopez, point heavily toward the NCAA once he graduates high school in 2020."

He can bring his good friend along also maybe---
"Next summer's FIBA U17 World Championship could be his coming-out party for college coaches and NBA scouts, especially if joined by good friend and fellow highly touted Malian big man N'Faly Dante, the No. 20 recruit in the 2020 high school class, according to ESPN."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230225/nfaly-dante

raise the zag
11-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Where in the world is Oumar Ballo?

Looks like he was training at CIBA in the Canary Islands (Pangos' old stomping grounds). In July it was reported that would transfer to Findlay Prep (NWG's old stomping grounds) but now hearing that he is going to train at the NBA Academy Latin America in Mexico City. As of right now the only roster he shows up on online is CIBA's on their U18 team but it's hard to know for sure where he is playing right now.

could be some serious eligibility issues/hurdles to overcome with this kid, unless he transferred stateside.

Players like Rui or Tillie are in advanced recognized educational systems and easily able to enroll/apply/transfer/etc.

international prep schools, in unfamiliar territory, across many nations could be challenging to overcome and figure out.

Have a feeling he stays in these various prep training centers until he is 19 to become draft eligible -- a long road ahead for this type of prospect to play for a D1 College/University in the States.

cggonzaga
11-14-2018, 09:44 AM

I thought Martynas was more a 2-3 type? Micah Downs clone.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 09:49 AM
I thought Martynas was more a 2-3 type? Micah Downs clone.

He is. I think Caldwellzag was saying that he could back up Anton at the three.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 09:50 AM
could be some serious eligibility issues/hurdles to overcome with this kid, unless he transferred stateside.

Players like Rui or Tillie are in advanced recognized educational systems and easily able to enroll/apply/transfer/etc.

international prep schools, in unfamiliar territory, across many nations could be challenging to overcome and figure out.

Have a feeling he stays in these various prep training centers until he is 19 to become draft eligible -- a long road ahead for this type of prospect to play for a D1 College/University in the States.

Pretty sure Tommy and Few have done their due diligence on this guy.

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 09:53 AM
He is. I think Caldwellzag was saying that he could back up Anton at the three.

Exactly what I was getting at. He will get minutes at the 2-3. If Snacks stays there are not many minutes at the 2 next year with him and Kispert.

caldwellzag
11-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Pretty sure Tommy and Few have done their due diligence on this guy.

I am sure they have. Notice none of us had heard the name until today, but we are the favorites. That's the side of recruiting Tommy talks about all the time.

Zags_Fanatic
11-14-2018, 10:08 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, one of the main focuses for CIBA is to get kids exposure to NCAA programs. If he stays there they are pushing for that direction and know what they're doing. Findlay Prep is a powerhouse for sending players to the NCAA so no issues there and I can't imagine an official NBA Academy is going to be playing any games with eligibility. Any of these three are great options for him to be eligible to come to the NCAA.

One of the main tabs on the CIBA website is about NCAA exposure and they hold an NCAA Showcase every year to educate top european and african recruits about transitioning to the NCAA.

http://www.cibalions.com/exposure.html

raise the zag
11-14-2018, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't worry too much, one of the main focuses for CIBA is to get kids exposure to NCAA programs. If he stays there they are pushing for that direction and know what they're doing. Findlay Prep is a powerhouse for sending players to the NCAA so no issues there and I can't imagine an official NBA Academy is going to be playing any games with eligibility. Any of these three are great options for him to be eligible to come to the NCAA.

One of the main tabs on the CIBA website is about NCAA exposure and they hold an NCAA Showcase every year to educate top european and african recruits about transitioning to the NCAA.

http://www.cibalions.com/exposure.html

Thank you, good news. Wasn't aware of the CIBA format, so this is comforting.

BobZag
11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
If he's 16 until July, he has to be 2020. Besides, Zags don't need him in 2019 after Timme committed, to go with Watson, Petrusev, Clarke. And what about the Russian kid Pavel?

All these decisions - I'm gonna have a trauma!

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 11:34 AM
not good enough for one-n-done based on skills, yet his potential and god-gifted size is definitely good enough.

probably a 2 year player who will be drafted on attributes alone. could develop into a force, especially at Gonzaga.

looks dominate vs smaller eastern teams, but lacks polish/footwork/raw fundamentals, and could be called for fouls and traveling on many of those highlights.

athletic enough to know how to use his height advantage, and has naturally good coordination for a player his size. also, good motor, and nose for the ball on the boards.

Eastern? I don't follow, this was the world championships. he had his best game vs DR, 32/32 and China

maynard g krebs
11-14-2018, 01:40 PM

It's interesting to me that he didn't pick up a basketball until he decided he was too tall for soccer. Didn't say at what age that was exactly, but it reminds me a bit of Olajuwan, who didn't play basketball until he was (I think) 15; soccer goalie till then. And Hakeem was really raw as a Houston Fr.; his development over the next couple of seasons was exponential.

Offensive patterns in soccer are very much like basketball, but the field is huge, there's by necessity a lot more passing, and you have to see/be aware of 10 other guys instead of 4, so there's a lot of complex field awareness involved. This is transferable to basketball; Steve Nash is the best example.

I assume he's at least bilingual if not multilingual as well; reminds me of what Few said about Turiaf being the best learner he's had, and speculated it was related to his language mastery. Both of these factors make me excited about this kid's potential, beyond his raw physical gifts.

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2018, 03:31 PM
It's interesting to me that he didn't pick up a basketball until he decided he was too tall for soccer. Didn't say at what age that was exactly, but it reminds me a bit of Olajuwan, who didn't play basketball until he was (I think) 15; soccer goalie till then. And Hakeem was really raw as a Houston Fr.; his development over the next couple of seasons was exponential.

Offensive patterns in soccer are very much like basketball, but the field is huge, there's by necessity a lot more passing, and you have to see/be aware of 10 other guys instead of 4, so there's a lot of complex field awareness involved. This is transferable to basketball; Steve Nash is the best example.

I assume he's at least bilingual if not multilingual as well; reminds me of what Few said about Turiaf being the best learner he's had, and speculated it was related to his language mastery. Both of these factors make me excited about this kid's potential, beyond his raw physical gifts.

Joel Embiid too

basketballzag
11-19-2018, 02:17 PM
Joel Embiid too

I see Oumar signing on the dotted line with Gonzaga no later than Friday. He is going to be the biggest player we might ever land at Gonzaga in terms of potential. He working on getting eligible now in Mexico City

Zagdawg
11-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
3m3 minutes ago
More
Zags picked up a 2019 prospect earlier today, now according to sources are gaining traction on Oumar Ballo.

-The 16 year old dominated the Euro Championship’s this year.

-Could be a done deal with the Zags really soon.

STORY: https://stockrisers.com/2018/11/19/zags-get-paval-zahkarov-for-2019-gaining-traction-on-oumar-ballo/ …

basketballzag
11-19-2018, 06:52 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
3m3 minutes ago
More
Zags picked up a 2019 prospect earlier today, now according to sources are gaining traction on Oumar Ballo.

-The 16 year old dominated the Euro Championship’s this year.

-Could be a done deal with the Zags really soon.

STORY: https://stockrisers.com/2018/11/19/zags-get-paval-zahkarov-for-2019-gaining-traction-on-oumar-ballo/ …

He is going to need some work on his game. No 3point game and free throws are Shaqese. He will redshirt if I was a betting man because he needs to develop more. One year of redshirt and while he classified as a 2019 he plays in 2020 as a redshirt freshman. I’m very high on him. He will be very special.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-20-2018, 11:13 AM
He is going to need some work on his game. No 3point game and free throws are Shaqese. He will redshirt if I was a betting man because he needs to develop more. One year of redshirt and while he classified as a 2019 he plays in 2020 as a redshirt freshman. Iím very high on him. He will be very special.

Getting classified to 2019 as a 17 year old then taking a red-shirt year @ Gonzaga to hone his game and, most importantly, adapt to new culture, prep for all the media hype he is sure to garner would be a fantastic choice for young Mr. Ballo. I hope this is exactly what happens as he deserves time to simply mature and adapt to what seems to be a life full of rapid and dramatic transitions. A red-shirt year w Zags would serve him well on so many levels, not the least of which would be refining his basketball skills. Heck, he could red-shirt then play for two seasons and still hit the NBA draft as a 20 year old.

caldwellzag
11-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Getting classified to 2019 as a 17 year old then taking a red-shirt year @ Gonzaga to hone his game and, most importantly, adapt to new culture, prep for all the media hype he is sure to garner would be a fantastic choice for young Mr. Ballo. I hope this is exactly what happens as he deserves time to simply mature and adapt to what seems to be a life full of rapid and dramatic transitions. A red-shirt year w Zags would serve him well on so many levels, not the least of which would be refining his basketball skills. Heck, he could red-shirt then play for two seasons and still hit the NBA draft as a 20 year old.

I have heard he is not an option for a redshirt, if any of them would redshirt it is Pavel.

basketballzag
11-27-2018, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised we haven't seen an official announcement yet on Oumar Ballo committing to Gonzaga.

BobZag
11-27-2018, 03:38 PM

This seems most logical, but you just never know. If GU truly has him locked up, he may not sign till next spring. Just conjecture on my part.

bdmiller7
11-27-2018, 04:19 PM
This seems most logical, but you just never know. If GU truly has him locked up, he may not sign till next spring. Just conjecture on my part.

If he's a 2020 recruit I don't think he can actually sign until fall his senior year, just like all our 2019 recruits just sent in their letters of intent. He could announce his commitment, but not sign yet. He doesn't turn 17 until July so if he's a 2019 commit he will be really young.

caldwellzag
11-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Yeah I am not sure if he is going to be a 2019 recruit or not, sounding more and more like 2020. Either way sounds like it's a done deal with him coming to Gonzaga, just no offical announcement.

WallaWallaZag
12-03-2018, 03:47 AM
ayayi came in at 17, so 2019 or 2020 is definitely still a question mark...waiting on an announcement would make more sense if he's 2020 however...really no reason to wait if he's going to be 2019.

caldwellzag
12-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Ballo has received 2 crystal balls from 247 to come to GU. Josh and Evan are the two, so that is another great sign!!

OntZags
12-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Ballo has received 2 crystal balls from 247 to come to GU. Josh and Evan are the two, so that is another great sign!!

Good sign. I'm super high on his upside, possibly highest ceiling of any Zag recruit ever.

Any word on the 19/20 class issue? Listed as a '19 by 247.

I'm of the mind that Clarke is almost certainly gone after this season so there will be minutes.

doctorzag
12-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Good sign. I'm super high on his upside, possibly highest ceiling of any Zag recruit ever.

Any word on the 19/20 class issue? Listed as a '19 by 247.

I'm of the mind that Clarke is almost certainly gone after this season so there will be minutes.

Where will the minutes be?? We have three bigs signed already. Timme, Watson and Zakhorov. Throw in Petrusev and there is not enough minutes for the guys we already have.

OntZags
12-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Where will the minutes be?? We have three bigs signed already. Timme, Watson and Zakhorov. Throw in Petrusev and there is not enough minutes for the guys we already have.

Watson is almost assuredly seeing some time at the 3 spot, perhaps the majority of his minutes.

And while I love Zakharov's long term upside, I'm not convinced he is further along than Ballo.

Giving 10 minutes to Watson at the 4 as a freshman (with the rest of his minutes coming at the 3) leaves 70 minutes to distribute between Petrusev, Timme, Ballo & Zakharov. Neither Ballo or Zakharov really project as 5 year guys so 1 of them seeing spot minutes as a freshman isn't terribly important. Theyll get their minutes in practice to battle with and improve and be all the better for it come their second season.

thespywhozaggedme
12-27-2018, 07:15 AM

Watson is a 3, Pavel will redshirt. If Zach leaves, Corey slides over to the 2, AW at the 3 and Pet and Timme or Ballo start up front. Biggest question mark is pg, but Bob has been saying Daejon Davis so often there has to be something to that.

BobZag
12-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Watson is a 3, Pavel will redshirt. If Zach leaves, Corey slides over to the 2, AW at the 3 and Pet and Timme or Ballo start up front. Biggest question mark is pg, but Bob has been saying Daejon Davis so often there has to be something to that.

Nah, only a personal fave.

I have a baaaad feeling about this Ballo. Just a feeling.

thespywhozaggedme
12-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Nah, only a personal fave.

I have a baaaad feeling about this Ballo. Just a feeling.

Oh, I thought that you were being not so cryptic. Speaking of cryptic, what does your "bad feeling" about Ballo mean? Do tell.

hooter73
12-27-2018, 02:19 PM

Cory is going to slide nowhere but down the bench. No chance he plays as a two guard and if he cant figure out how to contribute anymore than he has been, Watson will take the majority of his minutes IMO

thespywhozaggedme
12-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Cory is going to slide nowhere but down the bench. No chance he plays as a two guard and if he cant figure out how to contribute anymore than he has been, Watson will take the majority of his minutes IMO

Well, notice I said "if Zach leaves" and if that does happen who else will play sg other than Corey?

doctorzag
12-27-2018, 03:35 PM

Watson is not a natural 3. Kispert is not a two guard and Daejon Davis is not coming here. Ballo may be 2020. Look for a grad transfer guard and a late signing 2019 guard . Could be a european 2019 guard. French maybe. No more bigs for 2019

thespywhozaggedme
12-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Watson is not a natural 3. Kispert is not a two guard and Daejon Davis is not coming here. Ballo may be 2020. Look for a grad transfer guard and a late signing 2019 guard . Could be a european 2019 guard. French maybe. No more bigs for 2019

I disagree with 1 and 2, agree with 3. Not sure about 4. Point #5, if you're talking about Killian hayes, I thought it was determined that he signed a pro contract and is no longer eligible.

Norwester
12-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Looking likely...

https://stockrisers.com/2018/12/31/oumar-ballo-has-reclassified-to-2019-narrows-list-to-three-schools/

SLOZag
12-31-2018, 10:01 AM
More info:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Elite-international-recruit-Oumar-Ballo-down-to-three-schools-127090892/

23dpg
12-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Looking likely...

https://stockrisers.com/2018/12/31/oumar-ballo-has-reclassified-to-2019-narrows-list-to-three-schools/

More info:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Elite-international-recruit-Oumar-Ballo-down-to-three-schools-127090892/

Wow, that would make an incredible 19 class even better.
Calling all grad transfer point guards!

BobZag
12-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Looking likely...

+1

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2018, 10:43 AM
He's now officially a 2019. Mods, I can't edit the title since it's too old, can you change it to 2019. Thanks

Also, would he be our first 5 * or was Zach Collins?

The next step for Ballo, who says he's reclassified from 2020 to 2019, is to take an official visit. Ballo is expected to visit Gonzaga in the near future, but they are currently trying to finalize a date. Once Ballo makes his college choice, he'll be elevated to a five-star prospect. 247Sports doesn't include international prospects in our rankings until they make the final decision that they'll be playing college basketball.

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2018, 10:49 AM
I answered my own question, Zach was a 4*, so Ballo would be our first 5* ever. Sweet!

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Collins-58868/

BobZag
12-31-2018, 11:09 AM
He's now officially a 2019. Mods, I can't edit the title since it's too old, can you change it to 2019. Thanks

Also, would he be our first 5 * or was Zach Collins?

The next step for Ballo, who says he's reclassified from 2020 to 2019, is to take an official visit. Ballo is expected to visit Gonzaga in the near future, but they are currently trying to finalize a date. Once Ballo makes his college choice, he'll be elevated to a five-star prospect. 247Sports doesn't include international prospects in our rankings until they make the final decision that they'll be playing college basketball.

That'll be 10 bucks.

DagsZags
12-31-2018, 11:17 AM
I answered my own question, Zach was a 4*, so Ballo would be our first 5* ever. Sweet!

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Collins-58868/

I started this thread back in February http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?62398-Recruiting-Rankings-for-current-and-future-Zags about the current Zags' recruiting rankings. Ballo would be Gonzaga's fourth 5* commit, after Austin Daye (5* on Rivals) and Zach Collins (5* on Rivals and 247). and Drew Timme (5* on Rivals).

What you linked is Zach's ranking in the 247 Composite, which includes all recruiting sites' rankings, graded as a composite. Collins was a highly ranked 4* on ESPN, which dropped him a bit overall. Josh Perkins, at time of his commitment to Gonzaga, was also a 5* recruit during his Junior HS season. It's only when he transferred schools during his Senior HS season and changed his game that his ranking dropped.

What Gonzaga is still missing, though, is a consensus 5* commit. Zach Collins has been the closest. I wouldn't expect Ballo to be that player since he'll be an International recruit, and ESPN typically doesn't rank them in their top-100, excluding them from 5* status.

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2018, 11:17 AM
That'll be 10 bucks.

So 6 recruits for 2019, Watson, Ravet, Arlauskas, Timme, Pavel and Ballo. All but 2 are bigs. What are we gonna do for pg, Ravet as a true frosh?

BobZag
12-31-2018, 11:22 AM
So 6 recruits for 2019, Watson, Ravet, Arlauskas, Timme, Pavel and Ballo. All but 2 are bigs. What are we gonna do for pg, Ravet as a true frosh?

*Shrugs* I dunno.

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
I started this thread back in February http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?62398-Recruiting-Rankings-for-current-and-future-Zags about the current Zags' recruiting rankings. Ballo would be Gonzaga's fourth 5* commit, after Austin Daye (5* on Rivals) and Zach Collins (5* on Rivals and 247). and Drew Timme (5* on Rivals).

What you linked is Zach's ranking in the 247 Composite, which includes all recruiting sites' rankings, graded as a composite. Collins was a highly ranked 4* on ESPN, which dropped him a bit overall. Josh Perkins, at time of his commitment to Gonzaga, was also a 5* recruit during his Junior HS season. It's only when he transferred schools during his Senior HS season and changed his game that his ranking dropped.

What Gonzaga is still missing, though, is a consensus 5* commit. Zach Collins has been the closest. I wouldn't expect Ballo to be that player since he'll be an International recruit, and ESPN typically doesn't rank them in their top-100, excluding them from 5* status.

I know what composite is, it's the compilation of all of them, it's by far the best one since it averages all of them.

DagsZags
12-31-2018, 11:28 AM
I know what composite is, it's the compilation of all of them, it's by far the best one since it averages all of them.

Got it. Well, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect Ballo to be the first 5* composite commit, since ESPN most likely won't be ranking him

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2018, 12:44 PM
Got it. Well, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect Ballo to be the first 5* composite commit, since ESPN most likely won't be ranking him

Ah, ok.

JAGzag
12-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Is the writing on the wall that the staff knows Clarke isn’t coming back?

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Is the writing on the wall that the staff knows Clarke isn’t coming back?

YES

WallaWallaZag
12-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Is the writing on the wall that the staff knows Clarke isnít coming back?

if he's a first rounder he needs to go...even as a second...gotta remember he's pretty old as a redshirt junior and 2019 is considered to be a pretty weak draft.

BobZag
12-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Okay, what makes Bello a 5 star? I watched some vids of him and he dunks on offense. I saw one shot 6 feet out. Is it his upside?

TheOtherGreatOne
12-31-2018, 03:53 PM
Okay, what makes Bello a 5 star? I watched some vids of him and he dunks on offense. I saw one shot 6 feet out. Is it his upside?

When you are as big and athletic as Bello is why in the world would you want him to play any farther from the hoop than 6 feet ? Shaq O'Neal couldn't really play a lick, but from 3 feet in he was unstoppable. This kid reminds me of a young O'Neal. From what little I have seen of him he looks more athletic than O'Neal, but he will have to consume 100,000 calories a day for 10 years to get as fat as Shaq.

basketballzag
01-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Ballo is a definite 5 Star and would be the most dominant of any player we have. His game and body are Shaq to a ďTĒ. He is going to grow into a man at Gonzaga.

GuZag2012
01-01-2019, 03:42 PM
This is the most recent video on Oumar Ballo on YouTube. Looks very big & powerful for being so young & would be a great get for Gonzaga. Noticed him knocking down a few threes in the highlights as well which I hadnít seen before.

https://youtu.be/bhjYYcBqgaU

Mantua
01-01-2019, 08:07 PM
This is the most recent video on Oumar Ballo on YouTube. Looks very big & powerful for being so young & would be a great get for Gonzaga. Noticed him knocking down a few threes in the highlights as well which I hadnít seen before.

Looks good to me.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-01-2019, 08:44 PM
This is the most recent video on Oumar Ballo on YouTube. Looks very big & powerful for being so young & would be a great get for Gonzaga. Noticed him knocking down a few threes in the highlights as well which I hadn’t seen before.

Wow. Yes, please. Could you imagine him after a freshman redshirt season at Gonzaga banging against Petrusev, Timme and the Russian big man for a full year? If he Zags up and can be patient enough to give himself a year to adjust and get in D1 shape by redshirting, pretty sure he would play one season for Zags (2020-21) then take his talents to NBA. Just hope he doesn’t hurt anyone in practice. WOWSER

Pretty funny seeing a mixtape that shows him banking in a 3 pointer. Might wanna edit that out of your highlight reel big fella.

sittingon50
01-01-2019, 08:50 PM
What's the over/under on the # of T's he gets chinning himself?

:lmao:

cggonzaga
01-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Wow. Yes, please. Could you imagine him after a freshman redshirt season at Gonzaga banging against Petrusev, Timme and the Russian big man for a full year? If he Zags up and can be patient enough to give himself a year to adjust and get in D1 shape by redshirting, pretty sure he would play one season for Zags (2020-21) then take his talents to NBA. Just hope he doesn’t hurt anyone in practice. WOWSER

Pretty funny seeing a mixtape that shows him banking in a 3 pointer. Might wanna edit that out of your highlight reel big fella.

He ain’t redshirting.

ProVeeZag
01-02-2019, 12:24 AM

I know Geico covers homes, autos, motorcycles, and boats. What about rims, backboards, and stanchions? Good lordy mama!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-02-2019, 06:01 AM
He is 16 years old--will not be 17 until next July.

Birth:
13 Jul 2002 (age 16)

He will be 17yo in July of 2019. He is big and physically ready to play D1 hoops in 2019-20, assuming he is in 2019 recruiting class and not 2020. However, his basketball skills are raw. If he signs w Zags for 2019 class, Id advise him to redshirt his first season then dominate NCAA for the 2020-21 season before testing NBA draft waters as an 18 year old.

thespywhozaggedme
01-02-2019, 07:08 AM
He will be 17yo in July of 2019. He is big and physically ready to play D1 hoops in 2019-20, assuming he is in 2019 recruiting class and not 2020. However, his basketball skills are raw. If he signs w Zags for 2019 class, Id advise him to redshirt his first season then dominate NCAA for the 2020-21 season before testing NBA draft waters as an 18 year old.

He is 2019, the article confirms it and the thread title was changed to reflect that.

doctorzag
01-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Agree he is very raw and not ready for big time college BB . Poor footwork will result in a lot of travelling calls . Brutal free throw shooter and misses a lot of bunnies at the rim. Needs a lot of seasoning before he will be ready.

OntZags
01-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Agree he is very raw and not ready for big time college BB . Poor footwork will result in a lot of travelling calls . Brutal free throw shooter and misses a lot of bunnies at the rim. Needs a lot of seasoning before he will be ready.

I'm not going to argue that he is raw and he needs seasoning (which the GU staff is more than competently able to supply) but he is definitely ready for D-1 ball, perhaps even more especially so for a WCC program. (yes yes, I realize GU transcends the WCC but we still play the bulk of our games here)

His strength & athleticism are on a different universe for a kid his age. And he's got skill to work with to boot. He isn't some redshirt, 5 year project. If he commits next season, he's going to see minutes from the get go. Some of the minutes will be frustrating as a fan but they will be interspersed with some serious dominant moments, as well.

JPtheBeasta
01-03-2019, 05:29 AM

That's the first thing I noticed. I'm not a fan of that part of his game.

JPtheBeasta
01-03-2019, 05:31 AM

U of A is on him, too, indicating he has choices. If he isn't expected to play right away here, I expect him to go somewhere else.

hooter73
01-03-2019, 09:16 AM
I guess thats a fair question. Most international bigs... well euro bigs, have an outside shot, even if just 16 feet. Do we know how his basketball IQ is? Some are saying he is young and raw, but also a year away from the NBA. Doesnt seem to compute for me.

thespywhozaggedme
01-03-2019, 09:20 AM
U of A is on him, too, indicating he has choices. If he isn't expected to play right away here, I expect him to go somewhere else.

The "insider" on their board is saying that he is going to Gonzaga and that it is a done deal.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3885&start=1000

hooter73
01-03-2019, 09:28 AM

lol definitely going to have to learn not to hang on the rim after every dunk like in his youtube...

JPtheBeasta
01-03-2019, 11:16 AM
The "insider" on their board is saying that he is going to Gonzaga and that it is a done deal.

I’ll have to let my UofA buddy know (we had a lot of back and forth with the Brandon Williams ordeal, and it would nice to win this one). I’d be excited to see Ballo as a Zag and would expect him to play right away (no redshirt).

Mantua
01-03-2019, 11:47 PM
lol definitely going to have to learn not to hang on the rim after every dunk like in his youtube...

Heís usually in a crowd where it makes sense. I donít want to see someone his size hit the deck too often.

ProVeeZag
01-04-2019, 12:26 PM
here he is abusing China. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvhT3b86N4

Besides GU recruiting Ballo, Root Sports/KHQ might consider going after the announcer in this clip. A real one-man band, he handles play-by-play and plenty of color commentary seamlessly. (At 0:21: "Get big down low in the weight room, Big Fella, if you wanna come play with me.") (At 0:52: "Oh my goodness, no need for a heatin' pad. Just plug him in and you get results!") Heister looking over shoulder?

caldwellzag
01-08-2019, 07:42 AM

He will be a Zag. Very little doubt about it.

Bogozags
01-09-2019, 06:22 AM
So then for him to come to GU, then it is very, very likely that BC will also be leaving...that sound right?

caldwellzag
01-09-2019, 07:53 AM
So then for him to come to GU, then it is very, very likely that BC will also be leaving...that sound right?

I think the writing is on the wall...

basketballzag
01-09-2019, 08:11 PM

1000% BC will be in the NBA next year not at Gonzaga.

I have a very strong suspicion that Oumar Ballo will be on Gonzaga's campus this weekend.

bdmiller7
01-10-2019, 07:26 AM
I would think they'd have him on campus for a home game when the team and coaches are in town.

bdmiller7
01-10-2019, 09:14 AM
I guess no Saturday home game until 2/2. Maybe he'll be at GU tonight and tomorrow.

former1dog
01-22-2019, 09:14 AM
I guess no Saturday home game until 2/2. Maybe he'll be at GU tonight and tomorrow.

Did he ever visit?

caldwellzag
01-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Did he ever visit?

Have not heard the official word if he did or not, but I would say no. I am hearing the academic part is going to be his biggest hurdle to cross for being eligible in 2019 verse 2020.

BobZag
01-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Have not heard the official word if he did or not, but I would say no. I am hearing the academic part is going to be his biggest hurdle to cross for being eligible in 2019 verse 2020.

Honestly, though, does GU need him for 2019? Petrusev, Watson, Timme, Zakharov. And IF Clarke or Tillie return......

former1dog
01-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Does he have to take and get a minimum score on college admissions tests (ACT/SAT)?

bdmiller7
01-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Honestly, though, does GU need him for 2019? Petrusev, Watson, Timme, Zakharov. And IF Clarke or Tillie return......

If Ballo doesn't make it until 2020 I'd love to have Larsen back. Some added depth and size, plus a guy who's been in the program with some experience. Gonna be really young next year. I always thought he could play if it's still what he wants to do.

Bogozags
01-22-2019, 03:42 PM
For some reason I think the “bus” for Jacob might have left...

I for one would rather have him than Ballo playing next year...I just hope the young man is able to work through his issues and have a happy and successful life, which may or may not include competitive basketball.

doctorzag
01-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Can he speak English?

TheOtherGreatOne
02-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Anything new on Baby Shaq ? I haven't heard a word lately.

bdmiller7
02-03-2019, 04:06 PM

I was just wondering that. Would be awesome to get him there next weekend with Suggs and Strawther. I still think he ends up in the 2020 class.

Zags_Fanatic
02-04-2019, 08:40 AM

He was in the USA last week with the NBA Academy Latin America. One guy that watched his games said on twitter that he went for 20-20 in a game but didnít give any recruiting updates.

BobZag
02-04-2019, 09:45 AM
He was in the USA last week with the NBA Academy Latin America. One guy that watched his games said on twitter that he went for 20-20 in a game but didn’t give any recruiting updates.

Probably all dunks.

hooter73
02-04-2019, 09:52 AM
He was in the USA last week with the NBA Academy Latin America. One guy that watched his games said on twitter that he went for 20-20 in a game but didn’t give any recruiting updates.

holy cow. I want to see more and know more but if the coaches are on him then hes got to be pretty real.

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2019, 10:19 AM
holy cow. I want to see more and know more but if the coaches are on him then hes got to be pretty real.

Plenty of film out there on him and some in this thread. He's a flat out beast. Think a bigger Zion around the rim without the finesse, but not that far off.

hooter73
02-04-2019, 12:26 PM
After being spoiled by some of our big men with their "incidentals" these days I like to look for any clues as to their overall ball IQ and things like assists/passing/drawing fouls etc

zagsfanforlife
02-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Plenty of film out there on him and some in this thread. He's a flat out beast. Think a bigger Zion around the rim without the finesse, but not that far off.

Spy-- while Ballo seems similar because he is a freak strength wise, comparisons to Zion may lead to a lot of dissapointment. From the videos i have seen, Oumar is no where near as polished as Zion is.

Mantua
02-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Probably all dunks.

What I take away is that he finished at 100%.

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Spy-- while Ballo seems similar because he is a freak strength wise, comparisons to Zion may lead to a lot of dissapointment. From the videos i have seen, Oumar is no where near as polished as Zion is.

Hence my "finesse" comment, but he's not as raw as some might think either. He's legit.

Zagdawg
02-05-2019, 09:09 AM
One of the top international prospects, Oumar Ballo, schedules Gonzaga official.

https://stockrisers.com/2019/02/05/one-of-the-top-international-prospects-oumar-ballo-schedules-gonzaga-official/

strikenowhere
02-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Ballo visit official Feb 19th - 22nd:

https://stockrisers.com/2019/02/05/one-of-the-top-international-prospects-oumar-ballo-schedules-gonzaga-official/

TheOtherGreatOne
02-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Ballo won't get to walk every time he makes a move, like Williamson does. The only way you don't have to dribble or hold your pivot foot is if you go to duke.

ezcure17
02-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Funny how WE might have an OUMAR playing center for GU! Right??

Zagceo
02-05-2019, 03:41 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/05/promising-center-oumar-ballo-schedules-recruiting-/

Ballo plans on visiting Gonzagaís campus Feb. 19-22, according to Stockrisers.com. The fourth-ranked Zags entertain Pepperdine on Feb. 21 and BYU on Feb. 23.
Ballo is considering Gonzaga, Arizona and Baylor. The Zags are considered the frontrunners for Ballo by some recruiting analysts. Ballo told 247sports.com in December heís reclassifying to the 2019 recruiting class.

ZagNut08
02-05-2019, 03:48 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/05/promising-center-oumar-ballo-schedules-recruiting-/

"Ballo plans on visiting Gonzagaís campus Feb. 19-22"

Zagdawg
02-07-2019, 09:45 AM
"Ballo previously told 247Sports that his list of schools also included Arizona and Baylor. He said on Thursday that he would still like to take an official visit to Arizona, although a date has been scheduled."

I wonder how much the current issues might impact his Arizona consideration.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/International-star-Oumar-Ballo-sets-official-visit-to-Gonzaga-128837727/

caldwellzag
02-07-2019, 09:54 AM
"Ballo previously told 247Sports that his list of schools also included Arizona and Baylor. He said on Thursday that he would still like to take an official visit to Arizona, although a date has been scheduled."

I wonder how much the current issues might impact his Arizona consideration.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/International-star-Oumar-Ballo-sets-official-visit-to-Gonzaga-128837727/

He will never visit AZ, he will sign shortly after being here or on the trip.

scrooner
02-07-2019, 11:04 PM
Per 247sports, he was being recruited at AZ by Mark Phelps. d'oh

strikenowhere
02-08-2019, 08:01 AM
I just watched some of his vids for the first time...wow there is some raw power there. Is his 3-pt shot legit as well or is that just hype-vid stuff?

EEzag
02-08-2019, 08:51 AM
I just watched some of his vids for the first time...wow there is some raw power there. Is his 3-pt shot legit as well or is that just hype-vid stuff?

I found the couple clips where he had a little pull-up bunny to be very encouraging. Not a bad release and decent fundamentals. Would like to see his off hand do a little more work and he'll have to trim up his frame a little, but man, what power.

Mantua
02-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Per 247sports, he was being recruited at AZ by Mark Phelps. d'oh

Whoa!

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 11:58 AM
:pray:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjYYcBqgaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNySjHHi1wo

French is official language of Mali..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCqed1aVxWM

JAGzag
02-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Kid is just a flat out stud. A lot more to his game than dunks. Man, if GU can land this kid with our success developing bigs...

hooter73
02-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Agree, I am seeing a lot more to his game than what was initially showcased. Out of area rebounding with immediate look to outlet pass up the court, jumpers, timing... plus, dude is big lol.