PDA

View Full Version : Interesting nostalgia about Idaho State Basketball

GrizZAG
11-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Being a Grizzly I remember when Michael Ray Richardson led Montana to the Regionals and nearly beat UCLA in Boise but I did not know about this.

https://bigskyfans.com/bengals/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6812&p=47908&hilit=gonzaga#p47908

SunDevilGolfZag
11-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Great stuff; I remember that game. Thanks for sharing.

willandi
11-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Being a Grizzly I remember when Michael Ray Richardson led Montana to the Regionals and nearly beat UCLA in Boise but I did not know about this.

https://bigskyfans.com/bengals/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6812&p=47908&hilit=gonzaga#p47908

Was that Griz game played in Boise? My Dad talked about it often and it sounded like it was Adams.

23dpg
11-05-2018, 07:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEqJOnd5Bg

billyberu
11-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Took a quick look at the box score and Steve Hayes went OFF in the Sweet 16 game with UCLA. 27pts and 12 rbs against a powerhouse like UCLA? Nice.

tummydoc
11-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Different game without the 3 pt arc, 7 pt lead almost insurmountable. Fun to see a jump ball at the top of the key.

Bogozags
11-06-2018, 03:04 AM
Wasn't Marques Johnson and Meyer on that team too?

mtzaga
11-06-2018, 04:07 AM
Was that Griz game played in Boise? My Dad talked about it often and it sounded like it was Adams.

The Griz UCLA game was played in Portland. Eric Hays led the Griz with 32 points. Michael Ray was a freshman and had 2 points.

GrizZAG
11-06-2018, 05:01 AM
Good help. It's been a while ago :)
I do Remember Eric Hayes and Marc Glass I think his name was. Too bad Richardson wasn't in his prime in that game. He was an amazing athlete but we all know how his future played out unfortunately.

GrizZAG
11-06-2018, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the vid 23. It's old school BB isn't it? I loved that turning jump hook shot. That shot is nearly extinct nowadays. If a player perfected it, it was bread and butter back then.

MileHigh
11-06-2018, 05:50 AM
Good help. It's been a while ago :)
I do Remember Eric Hayes and Marc Glass I think his name was. Too bad Richardson wasn't in his prime in that game. He was an amazing athlete but we all know how his future played out unfortunately.

Michael Ray grew up in same neighborhood as me and he is a legend here in NE Denver. Drugs short circuited his NBA career, but he went to Italy and played another 15+ years over there. He married an Italian woman and became an Italian citizen which allowed him to play for teams without taking up one of their "american" roster spots. He finally retired when he was in his late 40's

GrizZAG
11-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Michael Ray grew up in same neighborhood as me and he is a legend here in NE Denver. Drugs short circuited his NBA career, but he went to Italy and played another 15+ years over there. He married an Italian woman and became an Italian citizen which allowed him to play for teams without taking up one of their "american" roster spots. He finally retired when he was in his late 40's

He was so incredibly athletic. He may have been the most exciting player to watch I can remember. Ammo-esquue even. A superior athlete. I'd be proud to be from his neighborhood too. I read his daughter is a Doctor in NYC. He has done well with bumps along the way in life that were self imposed.

DZ
11-06-2018, 06:40 AM
It was a different game in many ways back then. Look as the pass enters the lane, there is no contact between the defender and the guy with the ball. Nowadays the lane looks like the line of scrimmage in the NFL The game is just so much more physical now, seems like a greater emphasis on defense, though nowadays you have to guard a 3 pt line whereas back then the further out the better.

Interesting, thanks.