PDA

View Full Version : First Bracketology of the Season

Zagdawg
11-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Zags a 1 seed in the West

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-01/andy-katz-filled-out-preseason-ncaa-tournament-bracket-lets

TexasZagFan
11-02-2018, 12:26 PM
WCC is a one bid conference yet again, in Andy's estimation.

caldwellzag
11-02-2018, 12:39 PM
GU and UK in the final would be pretty entertaining!

jazzdelmar
11-02-2018, 12:41 PM
GU and UK in the final would be pretty entertaining!

Btw, Kentucky EXHIBITION game is on cable tv today.

caldwellzag
11-02-2018, 12:48 PM

I will have to tone into that one, on ESPN? I did not have that much look watching the Zags exhibition game last night!

jazzdelmar
11-02-2018, 12:53 PM
I will have to tone into that one, on ESPN? I did not have that much look watching the Zags exhibition game last night!

SEC network. 4pm pst.

caldwellzag
11-02-2018, 01:28 PM
SEC network. 4pm pst.

I will be tuning in. Thanks!

seacatfan
11-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Pac 12 Network has shown Arizona, Oregon and Washington exhibition games this week. If there's not much else going on, why wouldn't they show them? BTW UW had their hands full with Seattle Pacific, from the same league as CWU.

edited--and Utah

seacatfan
11-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Also bracketology before the season starts is beyond silly. There is no data, there is absolutely zilch to base it on. But it must get clicks so it's all good in the modern era.

jazzdelmar
11-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Guaranteed, no Judge Judy.

I will be tuning in. Thanks!

jazzdelmar
11-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Pac 12 Network has shown Arizona, Oregon and Washington exhibition games this week. If there's not much else going on, why wouldn't they show them? BTW UW had their hands full with Seattle Pacific, from the same league as CWU.

edited--and Utah

Nothing wrong. It’s a practice the #3 team in the country and putative best in the west should pursue.

GoZags
11-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Nothing wrong. Itís a practice the #3 team in the country and putative best in the west should pursue.

Do you not understand? The West Coast Conference does NOT have it's own cable t.v. network ... like the SEC (which is referenced in this thread) and the Pac 12 (which is referenced in this thread). Are you saying Gonzaga should start it's own national network ... like a BYU tv? (hint ... there are more folks nationwide interested in BYU than Gonzaga). Do you NOT understand that Gonzaga is in a smaller conference and doesn't have a Big Football program. Does all of this escape you? Seems like it, as earlier you've chastised the GU Administration for not having last night's exhibition game aired outside the region (despite getting paid to have the exhibition game on tv) ... and multiple times you've referenced Power 5 schools (with their own cable network) as examples of what Gonzaga should do.

Perhaps you should just go ahead and come out of retirement and join the Gonzaga AD team, so you can fix everything.

RenoZag
11-02-2018, 02:38 PM

So are the Breeders' Cup races. . .which one will get a better rating ?

Zagdawg
11-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Makes me wonder if we have one of those social media bots on our board built to create dissension and divide the fan base.

jazzdelmar
11-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Do you not understand? The West Coast Conference does NOT have it's own cable t.v. network ... like the SEC (which is referenced in this thread) and the Pac 12 (which is referenced in this thread). Are you saying Gonzaga should start it's own national network ... like a BYU tv? (hint ... there are more folks nationwide interested in BYU than Gonzaga). Do you NOT understand that Gonzaga is in a smaller conference and doesn't have a Big Football program. Does all of this escape you? Seems like it, as earlier you've chastised the GU Administration for not having last night's exhibition game aired outside the region (despite getting paid to have the exhibition game on tv) ... and multiple times you've referenced Power 5 schools (with their own cable network) as examples of what Gonzaga should do.

Perhaps you should just go ahead and come out of retirement and join the Gonzaga AD team, so you can fix everything.

Wouldn’t hurt.

RenoZag
11-02-2018, 03:51 PM
Makes me wonder if we have one of those social media bots on our board built to create dissension and divide the fan base.

Nyet

seacatfan
11-02-2018, 06:24 PM
I thought I'd seen Zags' exhibition games on ROOT in previous years, but I might be making that up. Didn't seem like ROOT had anything particularly important on last night.

TheZagPhish
11-02-2018, 08:16 PM

That role would fall to either the "Is it possible to make a half sandwich (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?53831)?" or "Burrito as a sandwich??? (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63431)" thread in the Foo.

willandi
11-02-2018, 08:32 PM
That role would fall to either the "Is it possible to make a half sandwich (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?53831)?" or "Burrito as a sandwich??? (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63431)" thread in the Foo.

Have you ever had an open face burrito?

Bogozags
11-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Have you ever had an open face burrito?

Whoa Nellie, would that open faced burrito come with a salsa type gravy too? If so, then iím in...

VaBeachZAG
11-03-2018, 08:02 AM

Don't intend to come out of retirement, but I do have a Gonzaga AD complaint I have referenced many times on this forum concerning camera views of the Kennel Club and the filters on broadcaster mikes. Everyone who views home games in person (including visiting ESPN announcers) rave about the great Kennel atmosphere. Yet for the many many thousands of fans around the country that must resort to watching the games on TV, very little of the Kennel atmosphere projects through the TV. Two simple (relatively modest) steps to improve the situation would be to have a camera dedicated to wide angle views of the Kennel Club in action. Those wide angle views are awesome (don't believe me check out YouTube). TV viewers rarely see more than close ups of a few screaming faces - boring! Maybe place a fixed camera on top of the box seat section on the base line side of the Kennel. Secondly, dial back the darn noise filters on the play-by-play mikes to let more of the crowd noise come through (surely all should be in favor of more crowd noise and less Heister noise). Simple steps that would enhance the GU BB image around the country, but it seems no one cares, oh well!!

willandi
11-03-2018, 08:45 AM
I looked at that bracket, and I have to say that the writing looks a lot like Francis did it. Is he staying with Katz for a while?

jazzdelmar
11-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Don't intend to come out of retirement, but I do have a Gonzaga AD complaint I have referenced many times on this forum concerning camera views of the Kennel Club and the filters on broadcaster mikes. Everyone who views home games in person (including visiting ESPN announcers) rave about the great Kennel atmosphere. Yet for the many many thousands of fans around the country that must resort to watching the games on TV, very little of the Kennel atmosphere projects through the TV. Two simple (relatively modest) steps to improve the situation would be to have a camera dedicated to wide angle views of the Kennel Club in action. Those wide angle views are awesome (don't believe me check out YouTube). TV viewers rarely see more than close ups of a few screaming faces - boring! Maybe place a fixed camera on top of the box seat section on the base line side of the Kennel. Secondly, dial back the darn noise filters on the play-by-play mikes to let more of the crowd noise come through (surely all should be in favor of more crowd noise and less Heister noise). Simple steps that would enhance the GU BB image around the country, but it seems no one cares, oh well!!

Agree in theory but think that’s a network choice not an AD dictum. They pay GU and, apparently, do what they please, from crappy camera angles to 3rd rate annnnouncers. Only the bluest have options in those areas and even they get rebuked I’m sure. Bidness is bidness, sadly.

ZagNative
11-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Here's Jerry Palm's first bracketology of the season. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bracketology-duke-is-the-no-1-overall-seed-in-jerry-palm-and-tyler-trents-college-basketball-preseason-field-of-68/

Palm has the Zags as a #2 seed. Argh!

Gonzaga could end up being a tough case for the committee if the injury to center Killian Tillie impacts how the Bulldogs play in the non-conference part of their schedule. Like all non-majors, that is where Gonzaga has to make its case for a high seed in the NCAA tournament. That is when they get to play their better opponents. Barring an unexpectedly speedy recovery, Tillie will miss games against Washington, Tennessee and North Carolina. Losses in all three of those could make it hard for the Zags to build a resume that would put them on the top line of the bracket.

Here's his full field of 68: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

MDABE80
11-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Could be tough to keep a no 1 seed without Killian unless we go wild, win Maui, and kill it in December. No 2 isn't bad. It's very good. It's just not no 1. No 1 brings with it some high visibility. Palm...….."like all non-majors"... Screw you Jerry I don't know what else Gonzaga is then....

DixieZag
11-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Could be tough to keep a no 1 seed without Killian unless we go wild, win Maui, and kill it in December. No 2 isn't bad. It's very good. It's just not no 1. No 1 brings with it some high visibility. Palm...….."like all non-majors"... Screw you Jerry I don't know what else Gonzaga is then....

Nowadays I don't think there's any reason to take offense anymore about the "mid-major" label because it is so obviously meant as nothing more than a conference affiliation tag; "Your school doesn't have a football team in the BCS series," nothing more.

There are four spots in the top 4 going into the season, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas have 3 of them, we have the other. We need not worry about slights anymore.

Bogozags
11-06-2018, 06:41 AM
The season hasn't even begun and we are worried about losing our #1 Seed, which we as of yet have not been given!

Let's not let these pundits get under our skin...Coach Few isn't worried one iota so there is certainly no reason for us to worry!

JMHO

ZagNative
11-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Here's Lunardi's first bracketology: http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=125&region=2&year=2019

Gonzaga a #1 seed in Seattle.