PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Threads

mgadfly
10-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Is there a reason why we have to merge every recruiting discussion into a yearly recruiting thread? That may be fine for people who come here every day and read every post, or for those who enjoy scouring 54 pages of comments to read the five posts about a specific recruit, but it seems really inefficient and unnecessary.

For example, I've loved that the Timme decision is coming thread wasn't (and as of typing this still hasn't been) immediately merged into the 2019 recruits thread. How about separate posts for each recruit with one 2019 recruiting thread where a moderator can link to each of those discussions and others can discuss generally about the class?

I guess what I'm saying is that if it is fine to have a thread about each game, rather than 2018-19 season thread with all the games discussed in one giant, unwieldy mess, can't we get the same treatment for recruiting news?

Kong-Kool-Aid
10-30-2018, 08:34 AM
This x1000, Have each recruit have their own dedicated thread and then move it once the recruit has chosen to go somewhere else.

The yearly recruiting threads are unwieldily and frustrating

Mr Vulture
10-30-2018, 08:39 AM
I have seen in the past, if a kid officially visits, there is usually a separate thread on him.

caldwellzag
10-30-2018, 08:40 AM
I think that is a good idea for recruits that visit or schedule visits (aka Timme). I think why we have a 2019 recruiting thread is so many times a recruit just mentions that they have heard from Gonzaga and we will link that information in there and talk about that person for a few post, but after that nothing really materializes with GU and the recruit.

I think once there is a visit set up or a decision in which we are in the Top 5/6 then it would be appropriate to have a thread for that recruit.

23dpg
10-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Agree with OP. No reason to merge multiple recruits into one thread.

kitzbuel
10-30-2018, 08:49 AM
The main reason they were consolidated was due to the request of many members. Many found it difficult to search through multiple threads to find the most recent recruiting status.

The general guideline I use is to keep recruiting information in one thread until it becomes apparent a recruit is targeted by the staff and has reciprocal high interest in GU.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

slickguser
10-30-2018, 09:03 AM
A new board/sub-board should be created specifically for recruiting, "Men's Basketball Recruiting". The new board can have threads for each recruit.

I think the current Men's Basketball board is handling this issue properly with the merged/high interest recruit threads.

caldwellzag
10-30-2018, 09:30 AM
The main reason they were consolidated was due to the request of many members. Many found it difficult to search through multiple threads to find the most recent recruiting status.

The general guideline I use is to keep recruiting information in one thread until it becomes apparent a recruit is targeted by the staff and has reciprocal high interest in GU.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I agree!

mgadfly
10-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Once a recruit shows high interest in GU and GU shows high interest in them, is there a way to pull out all the posts about them to have a separate thread?

No offense kitzbuel, but I don't see why we'd want a single thread where everything is poured into it, especially stuff that may not really be relevant because there is no mutual interest. To me, it'd make more sense to have separate threads about individual players, especially those that we aren't really recruiting or don't have a shot at because what ends up happening is that if I want to get the information about Serious Recruit A, I have to wade through discussions about Not-Serious Recruits B, C, D, and E. And if I'm just interested in Non-Serious Recruit B, I have to read 20 pages of posts about Serious Recruit A to find the tidbit.

I'm not saying that you can't have a thread, generally, about the 2019 class. And it may make sense for someone to update the first post in such a thread to include links to conversations about Non-Serious Recruits B, C, D, E, but merging everything into one thread until they prove themselves worthy of their own thread (based on some subjective standard) makes things really messy and hard to follow.

Bogozags
10-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Have a thread for each recruit...if they don’t show interest or we don’t show continued interest then the thread will go by the wayside...no damage done! It’s hard enough to read a specific thread about a subject and then someone begins to hijack the thread (sometimes it has been me) and then to try to find posts on a specific recruit is maddening and I am on this site daily.

A separate thread is the way to go no matter the interest.

Malastein
10-30-2018, 10:57 AM
I’d prefer there to be a separate section for most recruiting. Until a guy visits and could commit, then I think there’s just too much noise to even follow these discussions. Some people love that though....

Bogozags
10-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Ok, prime example...Pavel...I don’t remember anything about him...back court or front court??? US or Overseas?

Mr Vulture
10-30-2018, 11:30 AM
I asked who Pavel was yesterday as he was apparently talked about during a time I wasn't on the site. It was in the middle of a long thread about 2019 recruits. In any case, he is a kid that is playing in Florida and is a front court player (well rated at that).

Bogozags
10-30-2018, 11:37 AM
I asked who Pavel was yesterday as he was apparently talked about during a time I wasn't on the site. It was in the middle of a long thread about 2019 recruits. In any case, he is a kid that is playing in Florida and is a front court player (well rated at that).

THANK YOU! Prime example to have individual threads on each recruit...

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-30-2018, 02:13 PM
My two cents: an MBB Recruiting News section of the Forum wherein a sticky at top could spell out posting guidelines:
1) class threads for broadly discussing players from that class in general
2) individual recruit thread for any player officially offered

To me recruiting news is a separate topic entirely from discussion of the current team. We have an Old Dogs section, perhaps a ‘Wannabe Dogs?’ section ( or MBB Recruiting News)

ZagNative
10-30-2018, 02:18 PM
To me, the mega consolidated recruiting threads are useless. I won't pay attention to recruiting until a player has a separate thread.

JAGzag
10-30-2018, 02:19 PM
I love this board. We start a thread to discuss threads. Start of the season CANNOT come fast enough! Go Zags!

soccerdud
10-30-2018, 02:19 PM
Ok, prime example...Pavel...I don’t remember anything about him...back court or front court??? US or Overseas?

he's a 6'10" center from russia who's currently playing for montverde and is projected as a top-50 or so 2019 recruit. apparently there's still some question of whether he'll be in '19 or '20. from the couple of videos i've found of him, he seems to have decent hands, athleticism, and bball iq-- but i've only been able to find a couple of minutes worth of highlights, so who knows?

Vanzagger
10-30-2018, 02:44 PM
To me, the mega consolidated recruiting threads are useless. I won't pay attention to recruiting until a player has a separate thread.

I concur

RenoZag
10-30-2018, 05:18 PM
A new board/sub-board should be created specifically for recruiting, "Men's Basketball Recruiting". The new board can have threads for each recruit.

Good idea.

Malastein
10-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Good idea.

I think when things get hot and heavy with a recruit, it deserves attention on the main forum. Otherwise, keep it separate!