PDA

View Full Version : JWIII playing for the Lakers tonight

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
So far has one rebound and one dunk , great energy on the court.

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 08:31 PM
He just had a sweet Alley-oop dunk from Svi. Four points and two rebound so far

Zags11
10-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Looking good.

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Pretty cool. He looks like he belongs out there. I can't imagine how great that must feel to realize your goal like that.

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Four Zags "bigs" currently in the NBA. Are you paying attention Drew Timme?

Zags11
10-22-2018, 09:04 PM
What a bucket by j3 and then huge block in ot!

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Offensive rebound and the put back and then hustle down the court and blocks Derozen! The announcers are just gushing over him. I love it!

Ekrub
10-22-2018, 09:06 PM
What a dude.

Spokaneer
10-22-2018, 09:07 PM
J3 with the and one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags11
10-22-2018, 09:07 PM
What a ot for j3!

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Scored again and gets the "and1", misses the free-throw though.

Zags11
10-22-2018, 09:12 PM
J3 block to lebron and 1

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Blocked Derozan again!

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Perfect game for me;JW III played great and the Lakers lost!

Ekrub
10-22-2018, 09:20 PM

Ugh he had me rooting for the Lakers.

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 09:22 PM
Ugh he had me rooting for the Lakers.

I am not a LeBron fan at all. I love Kuzma, obviously JW III but LeBron poisons the whole team for me.

nish_mode
10-22-2018, 09:26 PM
This can’t be the same J3 from summer league. Lol

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Great showing by JW3. He created extra possessions with offensive rebounds, blocked several shots, and even hit a right-hander off of a Lebron James pick and roll-- and much of it down the stretch in winning-time. His team came up just a bit short on a Ball lapse on defense and a missed shot by Lebron on the last possession.

JW3 was in the game in place of McGee when they needed someone who could switch screens at that end of regulation, then JW3 played most of the OT after McGee fouled out. That was a nice night cap and it got the juices flowing for some college basketball

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2018, 09:29 PM

Haha. I have to agree. I wish the Lakers didn't grab so many GU players...

ZagNative
10-22-2018, 10:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDnGYkh10og

webspinnre
10-22-2018, 10:26 PM
What a great game for him!

MDABE80
10-22-2018, 10:32 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/22/zags-alum-johnathan-williams-shines-in-nba-debut-w/

ZagNative
10-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Got to be so proud of that humble, wise young man! What a great reflection on the Gonzaga program ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz29AX0bk5k

Saxon_zag
10-22-2018, 11:06 PM
I think he just played his way on to the everyday roster tonight. They should give him 15-20 mins a night as their backup 5 behind Javale. Kuzma at center experiment has failed, Williams came in tonight because Zubac looked absolutely incapable of defending Lamarcus Aldridge. This was best case scenario for J3 all around, so cool. That and 1 working the give and go with Lebron in overtime? You have got to be kidding me

JAGzag
10-23-2018, 02:14 AM
This is just awesome. So excited for the young man. Will be one of my favorite all time Zags! Just a great GU ambassador! I agree he fits with the team, hope the owners took notice!

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-23-2018, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the videos ZN. Great stuff. JWIII is so genuine and likable. I’m thrilled for him. Hope his coaches and teammates in Spokane got to watch him!

jazzdelmar
10-23-2018, 02:43 AM
Best of both worlds. JW3 excels, ensures further look from LA if not other NBA teams; the Lebronwood Lakers lose.

TexasZagFan
10-23-2018, 04:21 AM
Four Zags "bigs" currently in the NBA. Are you paying attention Drew Timme?

To add a bit more fuel to the fire, from ESPN:

Robert Williams, the Celtics' first-round pick in this year's NBA draft, made his debut, playing 3˝ minutes in the third quarter without getting anything on his stat line.

DixieZag
10-23-2018, 04:35 AM
Wonderful news.

Seems like owners/coaches have to have eyes opened.

Also seems like it would be hard to send him back to D-League if he played better than their regular rotation.

Goshzagit
10-23-2018, 05:07 AM
Playing wayyy better than Zubac, even in pre-season.

High motor, great defense, engaged, making plays.

Too cool.

Still can't believe they didn't keep him after his pre-season performances, maybe Lebron gave him a ring to return?

Either way, keep it up J3!

JPtheBeasta
10-23-2018, 06:00 AM
What a cool interview. Thanks for posting, ZN.

bartruff1
10-23-2018, 06:13 AM
Thrilled ….that is the word I was searching for....if Labron wants him to stay....he will...obviously they need some tough lunch pail guys willing to work every play...they have enough pretty boys ...

Zagceo
10-23-2018, 06:18 AM
Best of both worlds. JW3 excels, ensures further look from LA if not other NBA teams; the Lebronwood Lakers lose.

so fitting.

rennis
10-23-2018, 06:25 AM
A few more showings like that and he just might make the roster

MileHigh
10-23-2018, 06:41 AM
Wonderful news.

Seems like owners/coaches have to have eyes opened.

Also seems like it would be hard to send him back to D-League if he played better than their regular rotation.

From a business perspective the Lakers wont even think about signing him to a contract until his 45 days are almost up under the "two way" contract he signed. Right now Lakers have the exclusive rights to him and they only have to pay him for games where he suits up or days where he practices (approx $4800 a day) If they really like him look for him to sign a prorated deal sometime after the first of the year that will keep him with the Lakers until the end of the season at which point he will be a free agent.

MileHigh
10-23-2018, 06:44 AM

Why the Labronhate from some of you? Family man that stays out of trouble, gives back to the community, and arguably one of the two best basketball players to ever lace them up?
Or is it Lakerhate? which I get.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Why the Labronhate from some of you? Family man that stays out of trouble, gives back to the community, and arguably one of the two best basketball players to ever lace them up?

Bron is aces. I live in SD and get a face full of Laker hype and propaganda 24-7. Love Mag, too, but detest Pelinka and the Bussss's.

thespywhozaggedme
10-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Because he has never committed a foul in his life and whines incessantly whenever he gets called for one and despite being a genetic god, flops all over the place like a goldfish that fell out of his tank. I will never forget serval years ago in a playoff game versus the Pacers with 20,000 Indiana fans chanting in unison "he's a flopper". It was a beautiful thing. But lets not derail this thread please. It is about someone who is completely opposite of LeBron, a humble self-effacing player that lets his actions speak for itself. Let's keep the thread about JW three please. Thanks

White lightning
10-23-2018, 07:11 AM
This can’t be the same J3 from summer league. LolDuring summer league nobody shared the ball other than J3. He was a total team player, setting screens, switching on D, and staying back to rebound. I believe that is why he's on the team. No drama just a show up and do my job guy. That's what a team needs coming off the bench. A true Gonzaga type player. Now he needs to develop a jump shot and free throw stroke to keep him in the league.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MileHigh
10-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Because he has never committed a foul in his life and whines incessantly whenever he gets called for one and despite being a genetic god, flops all over the place like a goldfish that fell out of his tank. I will never forget serval years ago in a playoff game versus the Pacers with 20,000 Indiana fans chanting in unison "he's a flopper". It was a beautiful thing. But lets not derail this thread please. It is about someone who is completely opposite of LeBron, a humble self-effacing player that lets his actions speak for itself. Let's keep the thread about JW three please. Thanks

Now that Ginobilli is retired ,Harden and Steph worst floppers in the league. Lebron isn't even top 10

hondo
10-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Labron is my favorite non Zag player of all time.

Grand Valley Zag
10-23-2018, 07:53 AM

I don't know about anybody here, but I think many people just dislike greatness. I suspect it's because it makes them feel inadequate. But, I don't know.

LeBron is an amazing. Given very little in life but his own talents. Works hard. Smart as hell. Seems like a good dude too, but I don't know him.

DixieZag
10-23-2018, 08:55 AM
From a business perspective the Lakers wont even think about signing him to a contract until his 45 days are almost up under the "two way" contract he signed. Right now Lakers have the exclusive rights to him and they only have to pay him for games where he suits up or days where he practices (approx $4800 a day) If they really like him look for him to sign a prorated deal sometime after the first of the year that will keep him with the Lakers until the end of the season at which point he will be a free agent.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain. I don't know anything about how the NBA works on the business side. What you say makes sense.

As for the thread twist, I love Lebron for the simple reason that genetic god or not, natural talent or not, he came into the league with as much hype as anyone, then proceeded to work his tail off to improve and is a team guy with respect to goals.

There may be guys that work just as hard, but it's difficult to imagine a guy who works harder than him, and he seems to have a big heart.

JPtheBeasta
10-23-2018, 09:03 AM
I’m up and down on Lebron. There is no doubt he is a great basketball player, but he has some things about him to dislike. However, I grew up rooting for Larry Bird and the Celtics, so that makes seeing all of these Zags in yellow a little hard to stomach.

kitzbuel
10-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Lakers' forum has a really nice write up:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/10/23/18013072/johnathan-williams-lakers-history-nba-debut-magic-johnson-andre-ingram-two-way-contract-spurs-recap

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

bartruff1
10-23-2018, 09:24 AM
I respect and admire Labron's character and values....extremely intelligent and articulate...

Zags11
10-23-2018, 09:30 AM

You better not like almost any super star then. They all cry and whine

zag944
10-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Flopping complaints are so weird to me. It is smart since it goes virtually unchecked, calls are so subjective, and most players do it. Most guys notorious for getting a lot of calls and flopping are also guys that attack the hoop hard and take some serious falls and abuse from defenders.

JW3 was so fun to watch in that game. It was obvious pretty quickly he should've made the team over Zubic. When you have LeBron, a great passer who draws so much attention, having a guy that can finish strong is such a key piece. Kuzma and James were keeping that game within 10 the whole time, with no one else really providing much of a spark until Williams came in. Hopefully he earned himself a more permanent spot.

ZagNative
10-23-2018, 10:44 AM
I respect and admire Labron's character and values....extremely intelligent and articulate...Me too! The LeBron bashing here is baffling to me.

willandi
10-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain. I don't know anything about how the NBA works on the business side. What you say makes sense.

As for the thread twist, I love Lebron for the simple reason that genetic god or not, natural talent or not, he came into the league with as much hype as anyone, then proceeded to work his tail off to improve and is a team guy with respect to goals.

There may be guys that work just as hard, but it's difficult to imagine a guy who works harder than him, and he seems to have a big heart.

In addition, he married his HS sweetheart, has children only with her and no hint of scandal, has helped thousands of young blacks get through school and on to college, and just, if memory serves me, opened a HS for young, angry students, from broken homes and headed the wrong way, to offer them a path to a better future.

strikenowhere
10-23-2018, 11:13 AM
In addition, he married his HS sweetheart, has children only with her and no hint of scandal, has helped thousands of young blacks get through school and on to college, and just, if memory serves me, opened a HS for young, angry students, from broken homes and headed the wrong way, to offer them a path to a better future.

I think the whole "I'm taking my talents to South Beach" fiasco left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouths, and deservedly so at the time. However over the years since then he's matured and I know that my opinion of him has certainly gotten a lot more positive, especially in regards to non-basketball stuff.

ZagNative
10-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Here's a nice piece about Johnathan I don't think I've seen posted here previously: https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/181023-johnathan-williams-introduces-himself-big-ot-performance-nba-debut

Ezag
10-24-2018, 07:35 AM
He kicked A** out there and even was praised by Bron. Keep it up JW3!

DixieZag
10-24-2018, 08:18 AM
He kicked A** out there and even was praised by Bron. Keep it up JW3!

If Lebron wants him playing up with the big team and on the floor, he'll be playing with the big team and on the floor.

JPtheBeasta
10-24-2018, 09:09 AM
If Lebron wants him playing up with the big team and on the floor, he'll be playing with the big team and on the floor.

+1

I think he has been a de facto coach for years. They seem to pair him with burgeoning coaches and I’m guessing it’s for a reason. One of the crazy and impressive things about him as a player is that veterans were deferring to him very early on in his career. If JW3 keeps running the pick and roll with Lebron like I saw him doing it will be hard to keep him off the floor, in my opinion.

ZagMan in Philly
10-24-2018, 11:46 AM
He is only behind Anthony Davis in blocks per game...

sittingon50
10-24-2018, 02:03 PM
He is only behind Anthony Davis in blocks per game...

He should ask for a raise!!

:roll:

Mantua
10-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Me too! The LeBron bashing here is baffling to me.

If I were a player I wouldn’t want to play with LeBron. It would be like playing with God.

Zagceo
10-24-2018, 02:35 PM
If I were a player I wouldn’t want to play with LeBron. It would be like playing with God.

just jumped the shark tank

willandi
10-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Came in earlier tonight and had a couple of short, rough stretches. Still finished with 7/5 with 1 assist in 20 minutes. He did also get 5 fouls!

zag944
10-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Admittedly I don't pay much attention to random young big players coming of the bench, but it seems like this recent swath of Cs and PFs we've sent to the league have been remarkably foul prone. JWIII has 9 fouls in 17 minutes). I seem to remember long stretches of Kelly's rookie year when he was racking up fouls fast as anyone in the league, and Collins always picks up a bunch too. Maybe I'll start looking at some of my favorite non-zag college players a bit more closely and see if this is a Gonzaga specific trend.

kitzbuel
10-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Admittedly I don't pay much attention to random young big players coming of the bench, but it seems like this recent swath of Cs and PFs we've sent to the league have been remarkably foul prone. JWIII has 9 fouls in 17 minutes). I seem to remember long stretches of Kelly's rookie year when he was racking up fouls fast as anyone in the league, and Collins always picks up a bunch too. Maybe I'll start looking at some of my favorite non-zag college players a bit more closely and see if this is a Gonzaga specific trend.

You have to remember in this last game that Walton had just jumped all over his team for lack of defensive intensity. JWIII certainly seems to have taken that into account with his performance. Walton gave him minutes.

Zags11
10-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Jw3 getting time again!

Zags11
10-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Jokic giving j3 trouble. Too small but jw3 working!

Zagdawg
10-26-2018, 02:00 PM
How JIII Got Here

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/181024-how-jiii-got-here

ZagNative
10-26-2018, 03:10 PM
How JIII Got Here

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/181024-how-jiii-got-hereGood stuff! Thanks!

gu03alum
11-01-2018, 07:16 AM
I went to the Lakers game last night. It was fun seeing JWIII in the NBA. It was weird seeing him overlooked completely on offense. He is doing what they want though. He was setting good screens, playing good defense, using up his fouls, and grabbing rebounds in his short time on the court. It was cool seeing him playing with LeBron. I snapped this picture of LeBron taking free throws and JWIII on the block.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45179613_10160842386280198_1299615154824019968_o.j pg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=075df0a527b95f4f7772cd70d6a80583&oe=5C7A099F

Radbooks
11-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Cool picture!