PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else even slightly worried Gonzaga might not live up to lofty hype?

23dpg
10-21-2018, 08:31 PM
What if they have a really bad year and lose like....I donít know...6 games?

Seriously though. Does it creep into anyoneís psyche that the team wont be a top 5 team? Or is but might have a few bad breaks. Every year preseason top 10 teams donít end up in the top 25.

My concerns:
Rui is great but still raw.
Killian can be fantastic one game, silent the next.
Josh carries a real big load without much known of his backup.
Snacks has no conscience, for good and bad.
Clarke very good on D, but not known for his shooting away from the basket, or passing
Geno, is he a pg?
Corey needs to find his stroke again.

Donít get me wrong. I expect a very successful season.
But there is a tiny piece of me that isnít completely sure.

ZagNative
10-21-2018, 08:46 PM
It's definitely occurred to me, 23 ...

amaronizag
10-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Not worried at all if the nucleus stays healthy. Norvell is a star and is going to score lots. Perkins is ready to let it all out and he will. Same with Tillie, Clark and Rui. You know Kispert can't wait to give it all. If Petrusev can give us some help at the 5, we're going far. Lots of other guys to chip in too.

Worthington
10-21-2018, 09:00 PM
No doubt that we're going to have a very good team, but I think the 2016-17 squad tops this year's team. Anything can happen in the tournament, but that thought definitely tempers my national championship and final four expectations.

gonstu
10-21-2018, 09:10 PM
DOOMED

MDABE80
10-21-2018, 09:20 PM
We're aiming high..the highest. I think it'll be a very tough chore to get to the FF. Are we a no 1 seed ? Not sure just yet. DO we deserve a 1-3 ranking? I think we'll know more after December.
Luck will be required to go undefeated. Lots depends on how this team of great talent gels and works together. We have the talent but it'll take a coaching gem.

GrizZAG
10-21-2018, 09:32 PM
We lost a real and reliable workhorse in JW III. He did a lot of the heavy lifting last year. We need someone that sets the tone with a never die attitude on the floor like NWG or JW III. Who is that guy going to be? If we have that, the guy that inspires the rest of this team they could go far. Who is the inspirational leader going to be?

sittingon50
10-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Nope.

bartruff1
10-22-2018, 12:29 AM
I would not consider 6 loses a really bad year...nor do I expect them to be a top 5 team all season....stuff happens...people get hurt...losing Larson hurt....

It would be a really bad year to me if they didn't win the WCC Championship or didn't make the Dance and I am not worried about that...

Malastein
10-22-2018, 02:32 AM
I’ve seen enough of the majority of the roster to not be that worried and both Clarke and Geno have credentials which sound like they’ll round out the roster. On paper, this team looks as good as the runner up squad!

TexasZagFan
10-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Call me crazy, but I believe this team will exceed our expectations. Over the past year, the light switch has flipped on for Rui, he's getting his game figured out.

No worries, except for injuries. Enjoy the journey, the destination will arrive sooner than we want it to.

jazzdelmar
10-22-2018, 05:18 AM
Comparing 18-19 with 16-17 is a fool's errand. Just list both rosters in terms of talent and the first two will clearly be NWG and Collins, maybe Karno next. Who would be the first 18-19er? See my point. It's irrelevant anyway as the 16-17 team was best CBB team in the country and only a corrupt referee short of a NC.

HenneZag
10-22-2018, 05:19 AM
Very talented team I'm not worried, I'm sure we will experience some adversity as we should. The UW game will be intense.

Zagger
10-22-2018, 06:10 AM
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/NotHype.png

IowaSERE
10-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Comparing 18-19 with 16-17 is a fool's errand. Just list both rosters in terms of talent and the first two will clearly be NWG and Collins, maybe Karno next. Who would be the first 18-19er? See my point. It's irrelevant anyway as the 16-17 team was best CBB team in the country and only a corrupt referee short of a NC.

16-17 team had one potential lottery pick in Collins who in my opinion, was underutilized.
18-19 team has at least 2, if not 3 (Tillie, Rui, Snacks) guys who could potentially be loto picks.

We have 8 solid players who would start on 95% of the teams in the NCAAs. If 4 of them are better than they were last year, 2 of them play the same, and 2 are disappointments, I still think that we have a final 4 team.

TravelinZag
10-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Yes, slightly. Too many variables now.

jazzdelmar
10-22-2018, 06:41 AM
16-17 team had one potential lottery pick in Collins who in my opinion, was underutilized.
18-19 team has at least 2, if not 3 (Tillie, Rui, Snacks) guys who could potentially be loto picks.

We have 8 solid players who would start on 95% of the teams in the NCAAs. If 4 of them are better than they were last year, 2 of them play the same, and 2 are disappointments, I still think that we have a final 4 team.

Disagree. As "college" players, NWG, Collins and Karno were (so far) better than any on 18-19, and, BTW, most mocks only have Rui as a lotto. Things can change, of course, but 16-17 a tough act to follow. And 18-19 does not have to. As I said, 16-17 was clearly best team in the country. Collins was "unutilized,"

willandi
10-22-2018, 06:50 AM
DOOMED

You need bigger font size and bold!

DOOMED

GrizZAG
10-22-2018, 07:09 AM
HOPEFUL

caldwellzag
10-22-2018, 07:11 AM
Honestly, I am not really that worried, although things can happen like injuries and a bad break or two, but this team is destined to make a big run!

thespywhozaggedme
10-22-2018, 07:37 AM
What if they have a really bad year and lose like....I don’t know...6 games?

Seriously though. Does it creep into anyone’s psyche that the team wont be a top 5 team? Or is but might have a few bad breaks. Every year preseason top 10 teams don’t end up in the top 25.

My concerns:
Rui is great but still raw.
Killian can be fantastic one game, silent the next.
Josh carries a real big load without much known of his backup.
Snacks has no conscience, for good and bad.
Clarke very good on D, but not known for his shooting away from the basket, or passing
Geno, is he a pg?
Corey needs to find his stroke again.

Don’t get me wrong. I expect a very successful season.
But there is a tiny piece of me that isn’t completely sure.

Nope

RenoZag
10-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Not worried (if all hands are healthy). Looking forward to the games of 11/15 - 11/21 as a true barometer of their talent. . .

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Few's teams live up to some sort of pressure every year, as they have to be almost perfect in conference to win their league, and some years have had to do so to make it into the NCAA tournament. They have pressure to be good early in order to beat the tougher match-ups in the pre-season. They play smart and don't beat themselves, typically. Mental toughness, team togetherness, and basketball IQ are part and parcel of a Mark Few team. If they lose a game they aren't "supposed" to, it's usually because the other team or a specific player played above and beyond their level.

I'm not too worried, although I understand it is a possibility that this team doesn't live up to the hype. A league championship and a Final Four are my expectations this year. A number one poll ranking during the season seems like a strong possibility, as well, but if they have some hiccups in non-conference and don't reach that level that wouldn't be a big disappointment.

EEzag
10-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Nope

Will this team be mentally tough enough when it faces adversity (and it will)? Will Snacks take over the leadership role NWG had?
Can they stay healthy?
What types of teams are going to be a problem?
Can Rui make the next big leap?
That 16-17 team played the best defense I've ever seen at GU. Can this year come even close to that?

Zagceo
10-22-2018, 09:16 AM
No

its just entertainment.

worry won't change W/L record

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2018, 09:21 AM
I’ve seen enough of the majority of the roster to not be that worried and both Clarke and Geno have credentials which sound like they’ll round out the roster. On paper, this team looks as good as the runner up squad!

I generally agree but think the runner up squad gets a slight edge because of Karno’s ability to play the other team’s big without a double team, his court vision andnpassing on offense, his defensive leadership, and his ability to score easy buckets over height in the post. The bad calls were already mentioned, but the injury to Karno’s eye probably resulted in his ineffectiveness offensively— he missed several that he normally makes which would likely have been the difference-maker, in my opinion.

BobZag
10-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Deeply, deeply concerned.

tenniszag
10-22-2018, 11:41 AM
On paper I think this team is more talented than the 12-13 team that got a 1 seed but not as talented and without the “X factors” that 16-17 had. Maybe one or two guys will step up to that role. But the bounces in March will determine how we remember them. 12-13 caught two bad breaks with GBJ going down and WSU shooting. 16-17 caught at least a couple lucky breaks during the tourney run. Either way...can’t wait to see it all unfold.

Bogozags
10-22-2018, 11:45 AM
EEZAG’s post has a lot off merit!

I think on paper everything looks great BUT (and you can laugh, shake your head, call me names etc,) my biggest concern is: (1) Rui’s low three pt percentage - which would neutralize his being a miss-match to defend at the SF position, (2) Josh’s ability to average 6-7 apg and (3) injuries.

IF Ruin shoots above 35% from three then we will be a legitimate FF contender

mattydog73
10-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Clarke is a leader and a force on both ends of the floor

Snacks is a leader and super talented.

Josh is a leader....Also he does not need to average 6-7 APG....but he will come close.

Geno is a leader and a PG that can flat score and distribute as well if not better than JP

Tillie is by far more consistent than the OP gives him credit for. And....he is finally healthy....

Rui is not raw...wth?

The talent and ability on this team is worthy of the preseason "hype" So is the coaching staff as well as their track record for that matter.

However, with all that said, they play the games for a reason so just let it be and enjoy the ride! :)

23dpg
10-22-2018, 12:17 PM
FTR, when I say “possibly slightly worried”, I’m not speaking about real worries. I’m an “enjoy the ride” kinda fan. I will watch and enjoy every game. I just posited the question because I was reading nothing but sunshine and rainbow posts and was wondering if anyone else has any misgivings.

I consider myself a glass 90% full fan. Nothing doomed or pessimistic about my question.

Good article from espn on how every top25 team might not live up to expectations.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25049188/college-basketball-why-your-team-reach-final-four

Zags11
10-22-2018, 12:57 PM
I see final 4.

Zaga
10-22-2018, 12:59 PM

Hope someday I can recover from all the brain doomage of Zag success.

Go Zags!

#runthetable

Zagnificent
10-22-2018, 02:19 PM

He was "underutilized" because he was playing behind the Kareem-Abdul Jabbar award winner...the best center in the nation. Karno was an anchor in the middle and kept the team steady. Collins was awesome, but he was less consistent. I think Few used him appropriately given the circumstances.

ZagsObserver
10-22-2018, 02:28 PM
I think they’ll be just fine, barring injury.

However, I am concerned that Geno has had little time to practice and adjust to the Zags.

webspinnre
10-22-2018, 02:33 PM

We're doomed!

ZagsObserver
10-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Disagree. As "college" players, NWG, Collins and Karno were (so far) better than any on 18-19, and, BTW, most mocks only have Rui as a lotto. Things can change, of course, but 16-17 a tough act to follow. And 18-19 does not have to. As I said, 16-17 was clearly best team in the country. Collins was "unutilized,"

I agree on NWG. I donít know that Collins is any better than our current bigs (at the college level). I think youíll be surprised as the year progresses. Again, Genoís insertion with such little time to adapt could be biggest key given how light the guard rotation is (for a final four caliber team).

jazzdelmar
10-22-2018, 02:49 PM
He was "underutilized" because he was playing behind the Kareem-Abdul Jabbar award winner...the best center in the nation. Karno was an anchor in the middle and kept the team steady. Collins was awesome, but he was less consistent. I think Few used him appropriately given the circumstances.

Tough to be consistent playing 18 spotty minutes per game.

former1dog
10-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Tough to be consistent playing 18 spotty minutes per game.

Collins led the team in personal fouls. By a large margin. More than any other factor this limited his minutes on the floor. Combined with the fact he played behind the winningest player in NCAA history.

cggonzaga
10-22-2018, 03:19 PM
1) Rui’s low three pt percentage - which would neutralize his being a miss-match to defend at the SF position,

Assuming he plays the 3. I still don’t see it. I think we’ll see a 3 man rotation at the 4-5 between Rui, Tillie and Clarke with spot minutes going to Petrusev. I think losing Larsen actually really hurt our bigs depth as I’m not sure Petrusev is ready to contribute anymore than Tillie did his freshman year.

DixieZag
10-22-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm always concerned the team will under-perform, but I am worried about this team much less than some.

To the extent this team lacks anything like Karno, Collins, it makes up for - in my mind - with experience at every position.

To me, the biggest question mark is how good Clarke will be. We expect "very good" but it sounds like he can be even more, in which case this team is just loaded.

I believe we're worthy of being number 3 to start, and I think we'll be top 6-8 all year, bc I expect the team to open better than younger teams and pick up some crucial wins.

Zagceo
10-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Collins led the team in personal fouls. By a large margin. More than any other factor this limited his minutes on the floor. Combined with the fact he played behind the winningest player in NCAA history.

Season stats for PK/ZC

Blocks 37 to 69

Rebs 228 to 230

Fouls 83 to 105

Min 901 to 672

Yeah Zach led team in fouls but also led team in Blocks and Rebounds playing less minutes

If PK had not been injured and graduated Zach would have been coached to be less aggressive IMO

cggonzaga
10-22-2018, 04:09 PM
I'm always concerned the team will under-perform, but I am worried about this team much less than some.

When’s the last time this happened? I too have worried in the past but I don’t feel like it’s happened in a really long time.

amaronizag
10-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Rui is super athletic, I think we all agree on that. He gets a lot of points against many match-ups just based on that alone. But at some point, raw power and athleticism aren't enough and you have to develop some serious skills. I hope he can do that this year and keep his silly fouls to a minimum so he can play lots of minutes. Not sure we want him shooting 3's. I don't know enough about Clark's defense, but I hope he isn't prone to foul trouble. I think we're going to rely on Petrusev and Kispert a lot this year. Our only weakness is a big man (or two) in the paint. All of that said, I stand by my earlier post that I'm not worried about this team at all and think we will make a deep run. Too many really good players not to go deep.
Our only limiting factor is lack a true center IMO.

MontanaCoyote
10-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Season stats for PK/ZC

Blocks 37 to 69

Rebs 228 to 230

Fouls 83 to 105

Min 901 to 672

Yeah Zach led team in fouls but also led team in Blocks and Rebounds playing less minutes

If PK had not been injured and graduated Zach would have been coached to be less aggressive IMO

Points?

Zagceo
10-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Points?

12.2 to 10.0

jazzdelmar
10-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Season stats for PK/ZC

Blocks 37 to 69

Rebs 228 to 230

Fouls 83 to 105

Min 901 to 672

Heresy, Ceo.

ZagzKrak
10-22-2018, 04:51 PM
75 assists to 16 assists for the year.....I'm sure you know who is who there. =P

Zagdawg
10-22-2018, 04:55 PM
One also earned the best center award and one is now playing in the NBA-- two different players that complemented each other and brought different strengths to the team. If we could have kept Collins out of foul trouble -- we have a really good shot at a national title.

Zagceo
10-22-2018, 04:58 PM
79-133/110-148 free throws

0-1/10-21 3 pointers

Zach shot 65% from the field (led team) and 74% from the line coaches probably preferred him go strong to the hoop instead of looking to pass

jazzdelmar
10-22-2018, 05:18 PM
79-133/110-148 free throws

0-1/10-21 3 pointers

You could go on and on, not changing many minds here

Zagceo
10-22-2018, 05:27 PM
You could go on and on, not changing many minds here

not looking to change ...just inform.)

GoZags
10-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Too bad Collins couldn't stay on the floor when he was the difference maker.

ZagzKrak
10-22-2018, 05:36 PM
My favorite times was when they were both on the floor together.....2 7 footers was just crazy good on D.

jazzdelmar
10-22-2018, 05:37 PM

Or Karno make one layup in the NC game.

GoZags
10-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Or Nigel doesn't tweak his ankle again.

Zagceo
10-22-2018, 05:44 PM

sorry if you wanna blame someone....Coaches.....they encouraged his aggressive play...said so in many interviews

GoZags
10-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Or Karno make one layup in the NC game.

Yes. Agree. It's too bad the winningest player in the history of NCAA D1 hoops (and winner of the Kareem Abdul Jabbar Award) missed a couple of bunnies he usually makes.

GoZags
10-22-2018, 05:47 PM
sorry if you wanna blame someone....Coaches.....they encouraged his aggressive play...said so in many interviews

I didn't blame anyone, or start some comparison. Thank you for doing so. It speaks volumes. Volumes.

Edited to add. Or was this one of your famous "jokes"?

Malastein
10-22-2018, 06:17 PM
16-17 Contributors

Guards/Wings
Nigel Williams-Goss, redshirt Junior
Josh Perkins, redshirt Sophomore
Silas Melson, Junior
Jordan Mathews, Senior Grad Transfer

Jonathon Williams III, redshirt Junior transfer
Przemek Karnowski, redshirt Senior
Zach Collins, Freshman
Killian Tillie, Freshman

18-19 Probable Contributors

Guards/Wings
Josh Perkins, redshirt Senior
Geno Crandall, grad transfer Senior
Zach Norvell Jr., redshirt Sophomore
Corey Kispert, Sophomore
Joel Ayayi, redshirt Freshman

Killian Tillie, Junior
Brandon Clarke, redshirt Junior transfer
Filip Petrusev, Freshman

They will play completely different styles as the offensive firepower for the current squad looks much stronger than a defensive first almost champion. I’m glad Rui has stuck around for 3 seasons, and I think he’ll have a bigger thumb print on this year than possibly any previous player. Will he become Ammo level? He’s not the shooter, but he has steadily pulled together his talent and showed a readiness to start dominating with his other worldly talent. The team also doesn’t have to rely heavily on him, since there’s a lot of options.

The point guard position is a bit of a question mark compared to NWG running the show. Perkins has been solid through his time here, and could really prove doubters wrong after an up and down junior season where he was the only credible guard. Geno obviously was a big part of North Dakota’s success the last few years, and at minimum will ease the load Josh carried last season. This isn’t a weak position, and both guys play 25-30 minutes a game.

Is Norvell ready to step up his overall game? He was a classic add 2 things and take one thing away guy last year. He can look like an NBA guard when he is on, but can also take bad shots and needs a lot more effort on the defensive end. From the sound of it, he has worked hard and is ready to improve upon a solid first campaign.

Corey Kispert looked like he could’ve been a junior at the start of last season before injuries derailed a promising start. Will he be able to come back stronger than before? He’s got glue guy potential all over him.

Joel Ayayi will certainly be an interesting player for this season. I’d be shocked if he weren’t the fastest guy on the court most nights. Does he have the feel for the game to become a major contributor? He’ll probably play less than the other guys unless the game starts clicking for him.

Killian Tillie has had two straight years derailed in the tournament by injuries. He has the ability to have a junior season that could solidify him as an NBA guy. How much has he improved? His shooting and feel for the game are great, but he had foul trouble issues and lapses in concentration that hurt the team last year.

Brandon Clarke is the guy who must replace Jonathon Williams. Can he make the team better? Sounds like he is a beast defensively and on the boards. He’ll probably lead the team in rebounds, second chance points, and blocks. He’s probably not the defensive anchor the Karnowski was, but he’ll be able to lead the team in a much more switch heavy style of defense than what we saw in the 16-17 season.

Petrusev looks like he’ll be a great backup who will come up big when one of the main guys goes out with fouls and injuries. He should be as good or better than Tillie was his first season.

Overall, I think this is going to be an amazing year. The pieces are there to play a few different styles, and I think this team will wear down a lot of opponents with the amount of quality depth. There will be a bench player or two who could start on the majority of previous Gonzaga teams. I’m not worried, and I really hope that everything comes together just right for an amazing season and an even more amazing tournament.

Zagger
10-23-2018, 03:43 AM
Criminy sakes! The Zags are loaded, diverse and experienced. And, it’s not like they’re poorly coached. We’re gonna see some amazing basketball. How will the Zags fare? Well, they’re not the only good team out there. Excitement wise though .... methinks this season will deliver - and then some! The hype is warranted.

DixieZag
10-23-2018, 04:28 AM
Whenís the last time this happened? I too have worried in the past but I donít feel like itís happened in a really long time.

I did not mean to say that any recent team under performed, only that I always worry about it, because I just care so much and my expectations are always high.

So, high expectations, with a worry that they won't live up to them, in my mind. That's all.

Take care.

MileHigh
10-23-2018, 05:14 AM
I'll play devils advocate and tell you why there is no need to worry

Rui is great but still raw....even a raw RUI is a first round NBA draft pick and generally unguardable as a college player
Killian can be fantastic one game, silent the next....because of the talent around him he does not need to great every night for Zags to dominate
Josh carries a real big load without much known of his backup...Josh and Geno combined probably the most experienced pg duo in NCAA history (5th year srs)
Snacks has no conscience, for good and bad.,,not sure that's a negative. He will take bad shots, but most volume scorers do
Geno, is he a pg?...The question is can he run a team when he is the primary ball handler on he court, and he did just that at UND, and at a high level
Clarke is very good inside but not known for his ability away from the basket...that's a good thing. Need one guy that stays in the paint for rebounds and putbacks
Corey needs to find his stroke again..."with Josh, Geno, Tilley, Norvell there is an abundance of shooting. What they need from CK is his athleticism at the basket

former1dog
10-23-2018, 05:14 AM
Season stats for PK/ZC

Blocks 37 to 69

Rebs 228 to 230

Fouls 83 to 105

Min 901 to 672

But he wasnít and Zach was prone to foul trouble and that limited his minutes. Which was the point of my post.

rennis
10-23-2018, 06:39 AM
On the original topic of this thread, I think the biggest threat to success this year is injury. If we stay healthy I don't see how they aren't a top 10 team all year.

I do fear the little things. Sophomore slump for ZN being one of them. Josh has to take on the role of vocal team leader. We saw it at times last year, he needs to bring that every game.

Our strength is our balance and talented front line. This will win most games alone. But the old saying "Guards win NCAA Tournament Games" is usually true and when that roadblock game shows up in the round of 32 or 16 when shots aren't falling for the team early and the bigs struggle to score in the paint the guards are going to have to get it done.

23dpg
10-23-2018, 06:43 AM
I'll play devils advocate and tell you why there is no need to worry

Rui is great but still raw....even a raw RUI is a first round NBA draft pick and generally unguardable as a college player
Killian can be fantastic one game, silent the next....because of the talent around him he does not need to great every night for Zags to dominate
Josh carries a real big load without much known of his backup...Josh and Geno combined probably the most experienced pg duo in NCAA history (5th year srs)
Snacks has no conscience, for good and bad.,,not sure that's a negative. He will take bad shots, but most volume scorers do
Geno, is he a pg?...The question is can he run a team when he is the primary ball handler on he court, and he did just that at UND, and at a high level
Clarke is very good inside but not known for his ability away from the basket...that's a good thing. Need one guy that stays in the paint for rebounds and putbacks
Corey needs to find his stroke again..."with Josh, Geno, Tilley, Norvell there is an abundance of shooting. What they need from CK is his athleticism at the basket

All true

zagdontzig
10-23-2018, 07:36 AM
16-17 Contributors

Guards/Wings
Silas Melson, Junior

Zach Collins, Freshman
Killian Tillie, Freshman

Guards/Wings
Corey Kispert, Sophomore

Killian Tillie, Junior
Filip Petrusev, Freshman

They will play completely different styles as the offensive firepower for the current squad looks much stronger than a defensive first almost champion. Iím glad Rui has stuck around for 3 seasons, and I think heíll have a bigger thumb print on this year than possibly any previous player. Will he become Ammo level? Heís not the shooter, but he has steadily pulled together his talent and showed a readiness to start dominating with his other worldly talent. The team also doesnít have to rely heavily on him, since thereís a lot of options.

The point guard position is a bit of a question mark compared to NWG running the show. Perkins has been solid through his time here, and could really prove doubters wrong after an up and down junior season where he was the only credible guard. Geno obviously was a big part of North Dakota Stateís success the last few years, and at minimum will ease the load Josh carried last season. This isnít a weak position, and both guys play 25-30 minutes a game.

Is Norvell ready to step up his overall game? He was a classic add 2 things and take one thing away guy last year. He can look like an NBA guard when he is on, but can also take bad shots and needs a lot more effort on the defensive end. From the sound of it, he has worked hard and is ready to improve upon a solid first campaign.

Corey Kispert looked like he couldíve been a junior at the start of last season before injuries derailed a promising start. Will he be able to come back stronger than before? Heís got glue guy potential all over him.

Joel Ayayi will certainly be an interesting player for this season. Iíd be shocked if he werenít the fastest guy on the court most nights. Does he have the feel for the game to become a major contributor? Heíll probably play less than the other guys unless the game starts clicking for him.

Killian Tillie has had two straight years derailed in the tournament by injuries. He has the ability to have a junior season that could solidify him as an NBA guy. How much has he improved? His shooting and feel for the game are great, but he had foul trouble issues and lapses in concentration that hurt the team last year.

Brandon Clarke is the guy who must replace Jonathon Williams. Can he make the team better? Sounds like he is a beast defensively and on the boards. Heíll probably lead the team in rebounds, second chance points, and blocks. Heís probably not the defensive anchor the Karnowski was, but heíll be able to lead the team in a much more switch heavy style of defense than what we saw in the 16-17 season.

Petrusev looks like heíll be a great backup who will come up big when one of the main guys goes out with fouls and injuries. He should be as good or better than Tillie was his first season.

Overall, I think this is going to be an amazing year. The pieces are there to play a few different styles, and I think this team will wear down a lot of opponents with the amount of quality depth. There will be a bench player or two who could start on the majority of previous Gonzaga teams. Iím not worried, and I really hope that everything comes together just right for an amazing season and an even more amazing tournament.

Great post here. I also think with Brandon Williams, this would have been a Final Four year. Without him, I think it's a sweet 16, then next year we have a shot at the Final Four with the new recruits.

I also think we're missing that coaches mature too, not merely players. Few's coaching is light years ahead of what it was in 2013. He continues to effectively coach offenses that break zones, after losing to Syracuse in the elite 8, and also has more effective defensive rotations, including a zone. He's better at making in-game adjustments, when he's been static in his game plan in the past.

bballbeachbum
10-23-2018, 07:52 AM
which post player will be the one through which the Zags can initiate the offense, expose the opposition's intentions on D in the first few possessions, and command a double team? That means a post player who can read the D and either go 1v1 and score or read the double and expose it with vision and passing, and do that every night as the first option on O in the post. Have to be more than a black hole player in there to do that.

Maybe Rui, Tillie or Clarke? Zach could do it some a la Matty B maybe. Petrusev showed some of that this summer. Wouldn't say I worry, but I wonder about it for fun, how Few and co. will attack the low block this year. Rui's face up game is sweet, a little tougher to double that space vs. doubling the low block imo, maybe he's the guy. if he can add back to the basket playmaking, wow. I think he's the Zag most likely to do it from there, consistently, night after night, with Tillie the X factor because he could be that guy, as we all know. Both would have to step up into the new role and the responsibility and be the MAN. But that's what upperclassmen do, and looking forward to watching them go for it! we'll see

Hooray4Daye&Gray
10-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Geno played at North Dakota, not NDSU.

And there's absolutely no way he doesn't have a better 5th year than Brandon Williams' freshman season.

MontanaCoyote
10-23-2018, 08:12 AM
16-17 Contributors

Guards/Wings
Silas Melson, Junior

Zach Collins, Freshman
Killian Tillie, Freshman

Guards/Wings
Corey Kispert, Sophomore

Killian Tillie, Junior
Filip Petrusev, Freshman

They will play completely different styles as the offensive firepower for the current squad looks much stronger than a defensive first almost champion. I’m glad Rui has stuck around for 3 seasons, and I think he’ll have a bigger thumb print on this year than possibly any previous player. Will he become Ammo level? He’s not the shooter, but he has steadily pulled together his talent and showed a readiness to start dominating with his other worldly talent. The team also doesn’t have to rely heavily on him, since there’s a lot of options.

The point guard position is a bit of a question mark compared to NWG running the show. Perkins has been solid through his time here, and could really prove doubters wrong after an up and down junior season where he was the only credible guard. Geno obviously was a big part of North Dakota State’s success the last few years, and at minimum will ease the load Josh carried last season. This isn’t a weak position, and both guys play 25-30 minutes a game.

Corey Kispert looked like he could’ve been a junior at the start of last season before injuries derailed a promising start. Will he be able to come back stronger than before? He’s got glue guy potential all over him.

Joel Ayayi will certainly be an interesting player for this season. I’d be shocked if he weren’t the fastest guy on the court most nights. Does he have the feel for the game to become a major contributor? He’ll probably play less than the other guys unless the game starts clicking for him.

Brandon Clarke is the guy who must replace Jonathon Williams. Can he make the team better? Sounds like he is a beast defensively and on the boards. He’ll probably lead the team in rebounds, second chance points, and blocks. He’s probably not the defensive anchor the Karnowski was, but he’ll be able to lead the team in a much more switch heavy style of defense than what we saw in the 16-17 season.

Petrusev looks like he’ll be a great backup who will come up big when one of the main guys goes out with fouls and injuries. He should be as good or better than Tillie was his first season.

Overall, I think this is going to be an amazing year. The pieces are there to play a few different styles, and I think this team will wear down a lot of opponents with the amount of quality depth. There will be a bench player or two who could start on the majority of previous Gonzaga teams. I’m not worried, and I really hope that everything comes together just right for an amazing season and an even more amazing tournament.

Fine post. I think Petrusev will impress. In the team pictures he looked both bigger and taller than I expected. No Mt. K but an imposing figure nevertheless. Just have a hunch that he’ll be like one of those FSU guys that came off the bench against us at the dance, blocked a shot, grabbed a rebound or two and nailed a couple of shots. Just what we need, I think, and maybe even better than that!

MileHigh
10-23-2018, 08:12 AM
which post player will be the one through which the Zags can initiate the offense, expose the opposition's intentions on D in the first few possessions, and command a double team? That means a post player who can read the D and either go 1v1 and score or read the double and expose it with vision and passing, and do that every night as the first option on O in the post. Have to be more than a black hole player in there to do that.

Maybe Rui, Tillie or Clarke? Zach could do it some a la Matty B maybe. Petrusev showed some of that this summer. Wouldn't say I worry, but I wonder about it for fun, how Few and co. will attack the low block this year. Rui's face up game is sweet, a little tougher to double that space vs. doubling the low block imo, maybe he's the guy. if he can add back to the basket playmaking, wow. I think he's the Zag most likely to do it from there, consistently, night after night, with Tillie the X factor because he could be that guy, as we all know. Both would have to step up into the new role and the responsibility and be the MAN. But that's what upperclassmen do, and looking forward to watching them go for it! we'll see

get away from the post touches and go to a four out ball screen offense with pick and pop action and the post on the weak side. Opens up driving lanes for guards and wings to penetrate and kick for open threes or ally oop dunks. Scheming to your personnel usually works better than trying to get your personnel to fit a scheme

Zagceo
10-23-2018, 08:13 AM
get away from the post touches and go to a four out ball screen offense with pick and pop action and the post on the weak side. Opens up driving lanes for guards and wings to penetrate and kick for open threes or ally oop dunks. Scheming to your personnel usually works better than trying to get your personnel to fit a scheme

so looking forward to this look and play

MileHigh
10-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Geno played at North Dakota, not NDSU.

And there's absolutely no way he doesn't have a better 5th year than Brandon Williams' freshman season.

I think that is certainly debatable. Bwill is really,really solid and will likely be starting pg for Arizona and get 30 minutes a game. I would not be surprised to see him put up better numbers than Crandall this year.

CDC84
10-23-2018, 08:25 AM
The thing that worries me is the schedule. The Zags could play well against Duke (if get that far), UNC, Tennessee and Creighton and yet lose all four games. For seeding purposes, they would ideally like to take 3 of 4.

I am glad they are playing a number of games before Maui.

bballbeachbum
10-23-2018, 09:26 AM

always does, thus Rui not penciled in as back to basket answer above but instead an option to evaluate, tho Zags went here with him plenty last year, same with Tillie in the post back to basket, and it's a staple of Few O.

are you saying Zags won't go there? I'll say Few and co. have prepped options in the post and will try, as always, to establish it, and we'll see how those guys do.

also, Zags already play 4 out 1 in weakside post, not new.

I appreciate your reply though, ready for the season to start ;)

Mr Vulture
10-23-2018, 09:57 AM
I would say a couple things stand out to me on this year's team versus last year. First, we actually have a legit option at PG if something happened to Perkins. Second, although we don't have a full compliment of guys on scholarship, we have excellent proven talent seven guys deep with Perkins, Norvell, Crandall, Kispert, Rui, Tillie, and Clarke. After that we have guys like Petrusev, Ayayi, and Foster that are young but have talent to fill in the other minutes...plus Jones as needed.

bballbeachbum
10-28-2018, 08:49 AM
was looking for video of E's winner against Illinois, that extended post move off the dribble, couldn't find it, but Rui and Tillie like that maybe?

anyway, you can see at the 55 second mark of this video some of the action from the 4 out 1 in opposite, with the pick and roll. this is 5 years ago I think, same stuff Zags did last March vs. theOSU plenty, killed them with that

if you check out the 3:00 mark, can see Rui with the ball like that in the 5 out, then at 3:15 can see Rui with this year's Zags how they may use the 4 out 1 in to get to the low post. Not worried, just wondering. Rui, maybe Few uses him similarly to E, but Rui with more tools, more mid range, better handles

I too am looking forward to the schemed offense towards the talent on hand! pick and pops, pick and rolls, dribble drive, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plKQPaDthUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plKQPaDthUU

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Will this team be mentally tough enough when it faces adversity (and it will)? Will Snacks take over the leadership role NWG had?
Can they stay healthy?
What types of teams are going to be a problem?
Can Rui make the next big leap?
That 16-17 team played the best defense I've ever seen at GU. Can this year come even close to that?

I believe that we're the best team in the nation. My one "concern" may be depth, but our top 7 are better than any other teams top 7 by far. so not too concerned unless injuries or foul trouble happens, which is always possible.

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 09:43 AM
I believe that we're the best team in the nation. My one "concern" may be depth, but our top 7 are better than any other teams top 7 by far. so not too concerned unless injuries or foul trouble happens, which is always possible.

which is exactly what bounced us in our last 2 tourney games...third time a charm

RenoZag
10-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Not worried (if all hands are healthy). Looking forward to the games of 11/15 - 11/21 as a true barometer of their talent. . .

I meant depth. . .get well soon, Mr. Tillie. . .

CDC84
10-30-2018, 07:00 PM
After the scrimmage, one Michigan State staffer said that GU is "in anyone's top 5." And that was without Tillie and Joel playing.