PDA

View Full Version : Most Realistic Season Record

DixieZag
10-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Would love to hear thoughts on "most realistic" - not hoped for, not "capable," just most likely.

With a tough schedule on the high end, 2 tough ones in Maui, @UNC, @Creighton, Tenn in AZ, UW, it seems to me that most realistic is we drop 2 out of the 5, which I believe is outstanding.

And realistically drop one WCC, in reg season, win WCC tourney.

2 OOC losses with quality wins, and one WCC loss, seems like we're last One seed or first couple of 2 seeds. 2 losses seems like lock for One seed.

Just my read.

Would like others' views.

Sarenyon
10-21-2018, 08:02 AM
I have a feeling that our seed may reflect our loss record - unless its just the ooc against the tough ones you listed and we run through the WCC untouched, then it will be 1 less than our loss record (maxed out at 1 obviously).

LongIslandZagFan
10-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Lose two in OOC... my gut says @UNC and championship game in Maui against Duke. Run the table against WCC

ZagzKrak
10-21-2018, 08:11 AM
I think to get a 1 seed we need to go 2 of 3 against UNC, Tenn, hopefully Duke in Maui. I like our chances in all the other games.

DixieZag
10-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Lose two in OOC... my gut says @UNC and championship game in Maui against Duke. Run the table against WCC

That would be an unbelievable accomplishment.

I think we're more likely to win Maui than win @UNC, and I think we're likely to drop one against Tenn or Creighton, two games away from the Kennel against two better than decent teams (Creighton not as good as Tenn). Seems like Duke has to get through a very good Aubun team and may be a little more spent prior to any final.

Lots of reason for optimism. I think we should be much better than most teams early in the year bc of our experience.

strikenowhere
10-21-2018, 10:48 AM

The Zags, as a program, need to get over the Duke hump. Do that and its smooth sailing the rest of the way IMO.

BobZag
10-21-2018, 10:54 AM
5 losses
Sweet Sixteen

Nigel made all the difference.

bartruff1
10-21-2018, 11:06 AM
5 losses
Sweet Sixteen

Sounds reasonable...it is very tough to win against good teams on the road....but, with some luck in the Krapshoot….

they could advance to the EE...... a lot depending on the matchups of course...if they can get to the EE, they are playing on house money and anything can happen....

In any case..... for me it is the journey..... and I will be grateful to see and enjoy every game....

If they run the table, it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming....and if they get beat in the first round.....it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming......

DixieZag
10-21-2018, 11:17 AM
5 losses
Sweet Sixteen

I don't gamble, but I would bet a ton of money they come in with under 5 losses.

Never deny NWG made a huge difference, but this team has 3 - in my mind - future NBA players, minimum - and that, too, makes a big difference. Plus experience.

We'll see.

Zagceo
10-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Best Zag team on paper ever.....highest pre season ranking ever....toughest schedule ever

2 losses in season and 0 losses in post season

VaBeachZAG
10-21-2018, 11:22 AM
5 losses
Sweet Sixteen

I feel reaching the Sweet Sixteen with last years team amounted to a realistically successful year. It's hard to consider any season ending with a Sweet Sixteen run to be a failure. But, I will be personally crushed if this years team does not at least make the EE, and preferably the Final Four.

cggonzaga
10-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Sounds reasonable...it is very tough to win against good teams on the road....but, with some luck in the Krapshoot….

they could advance to the EE...... a lot depending on the matchups of course...if they can get to the EE, they are playing on house money and anything can happen....

In any case..... for me it is the journey..... and I will be grateful to see and enjoy every game....

If they run the table, it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming....and if they get beat in the first round.....it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming......

Nothing like a Zag lowering their expectations so they don’t end up hurt in the end. It’s all good. I enjoy the journey as well but expect the Zags to live up to their expectations. Just like the players and staff does.

MDABE80
10-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Lots depends on how productive Geno is. BZs 5 losses is a bit generous. Maui and the December work will tell the tale IMO. 2 losses is what I’m thinking but if we exist December with no losses, I’m thinking we run the table. As for the Tournament, I’d there are no injuries, Josh may well lead us to a FF. BZs right though, we need a Nigel performer to get us to the FF.

MickMick
10-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Win Maui. Win at UNC. Experienced Zag team outperforms preconference play of youthful, talented teams.

Lose to Tennessee (the Admiral goes off, the referees kill us). Lose at home to BYU (Holiday season letdown against inspired team with a tournament bid on the line).

#1 seed. Lose the NCAA tournament regional final (The field is loaded this year).

zagamatic
10-21-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm going to go with 1 loss, but not in the post season.

GUZag08
10-21-2018, 01:05 PM
42-0

bartruff1
10-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Is there anyone here clever enough to bump a similar prediction thread from last year ??? Or some prior recent year...

Bogozags
10-21-2018, 04:00 PM
A max of three loses all year

ZagsGoZags
10-21-2018, 07:04 PM
I estimating 3 losses before the Big Dance starts

Malastein
10-21-2018, 07:18 PM
1 loss is realistic to me.

Zags11
10-21-2018, 09:27 PM
I didnt see this. Oops made my normal pre season thread. My bad.

WallaWallaZag
10-21-2018, 11:37 PM
expect to lose 3 before march madness...but wouldn't be shocked with a stumble somewhere in conference to make it 4...

postseason, expect seed to be same as number of losses...sweet sixteen and anything after is gravy.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
10-22-2018, 08:23 AM
5 losses
Sweet Sixteen

The main reason I joined this board years ago was to ask BobZag questions in hopes of inside information.

Following the ridiculous (and unexplained) Geno post, followed by this... not so much.

I don't care how many games the Zags lose in the regular season. It will definitely be less than 5.

Geno cuts down the net in Sota. Clutches up throughout the tournament, which unfortunately is something Nigel wasn't able to do.

The part I dislike the most about this post is that I have to point out unflattering facts about a guy that is one of my favorite Zags of all time.

But the fact is, Nigel shot 33/94 (35%) in the 2017 NCAA Tournament. He also missed 11 free throws.

TWO 5th year senior point guards more than make up for Nigel. They will play with fantastic effort, unmatched competitiveness, fearless shot making, unrelenting defense, and extremely communicative leadership.

Mr Vulture
10-22-2018, 09:03 AM
If I were going to bet on the number of losses I would likely say somewhere in the 4-5 range simply because of the challenging schedule. I think this team will be one that gets better as the season progresses and they get used to playing with the guys taking on big roles this year. Thinking once the rotations get set with Clarke and Crandall added to Perkins, Norvell, Tillie, and Rui...this will be a very tough team to beat. That doesn't even account for Kispert, who I think will take a nice step this year.

23zagmd
10-22-2018, 10:55 AM
I think with this team the EE is the expectation. Beyond that, IMHO, Luck plays such a huge role in it. Luck with your bracket, the ball bouncing your way late, getting a call when an opposing player is out of bounds:mad:, etc. Whatever it is but at some point you have to have a little luck!

I feel reaching the Sweet Sixteen with last years team amounted to a realistically successful year. It's hard to consider any season ending with a Sweet Sixteen run to be a failure. But, I will be personally crushed if this years team does not at least make the EE, and preferably the Final Four.

caldwellzag
10-22-2018, 11:46 AM
This is such a tough question, as on paper we could be favored in just about every game (maybe not against Duke or UNC), but I would guess 2 loses going into the tourney and we will be playing on the last day of the tourney. This team is deep, talented, and well coached.

caduceus
10-23-2018, 03:55 AM
This is a weird year. Brutal schedule, much of it away from Spokane. Maybe these guys have it in them. Honestly, I worry about the Washington game. I think they'll not be ranked when we play them, after losing to some bottom dweller at home. We've seen it before. I don't make predictions, but I'd love it if the team advances as far as all of you think they will. The preseason ranking worries me, frankly. So much hype by the press. I tried to get my Zag buds to gather for Maui -- didn't happen this year. Maybe I'll convince them to get to Vegas. I still have an affection for the yearly WSU and Montana games. Even EWU brings back memories, as some of those games were very competitive.

My dad, a perennial GU donor and crazy Zag fan, died over the summer. We shared SO many games together, especially courtside at the Battle in Seattle (dammit guys, make it happen again!). I remember to this day, him texting me relentlessly about Morrison "going off" against Michigan St. while I was stuck at work - ding...ding...ding. And the Maui game vs. UConn. Dad, quit spoiling the results -- I have a DVR (PVR back then)! But he was SO excited when the Zags made an impact. Even further back, the nutso Alaska tournament when Dickau lost his mind.

It'll be a hard year for me to watch the games. We always talked after each one. Even this summer, he was talking about Maui, even though he knew he wasn't fit to travel.

Cherish your loved ones. You never know what lies ahead.

=caduceus=

DixieZag
10-23-2018, 04:10 AM
This is a weird year. Brutal schedule, much of it away from Spokane. Maybe these guys have it in them. Honestly, I worry about the Washington game. I think they'll not be ranked when we play them, after losing to some bottom dweller at home. We've seen it before. I don't make predictions, but I'd love it if the team advances as far as all of you think they will. The preseason ranking worries me, frankly. So much hype by the press. I tried to get my Zag buds to gather for Maui -- didn't happen this year. Maybe I'll convince them to get to Vegas. I still have an affection for the yearly WSU and Montana games. Even EWU brings back memories, as some of those games were very competitive.

My dad, a perennial GU donor and crazy Zag fan, died over the summer. We shared SO many games together, especially courtside at the Battle in Seattle (dammit guys, make it happen again!). I remember to this day, him texting me relentlessly about Morrison "going off" against Michigan St. while I was stuck at work - ding...ding...ding. And the Maui game vs. UConn. Dad, quit spoiling the results -- I have a DVR (PVR back then)! But he was SO excited when the Zags made an impact. Even further back, the nutso Alaska tournament when Dickau lost his mind.

It'll be a hard year for me to watch the games. We always talked after each one. Even this summer, he was talking about Maui, even though he knew he wasn't fit to travel.

Cherish your loved ones. You never know what lies ahead.

=caduceus=

Sorry for your loss Cad.

It makes perfect sense to me that it would be hard to get back into the single topic you most shared. I would feel same.

Take care, stick around here maybe and share some.

ZagzKrak
12-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Just peaking to see how many of us had the Zags going undefeated.....looks like only one......MickMick seems to be right on track with his guess. Seems like most of us thought we would drop a few so it seems this team is right about where we thought they would be.

MontanaCoyote
12-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Please check my post game post #80 for some win loss stats of NCAA champs 2000-2018. losses average over 5. Low, 2. High,9.

TravelinZag
12-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Five losses.

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Five losses.

??? Ok.. lets play with that... to whom?

former1dog
12-10-2018, 06:57 AM
??? Ok.. lets play with that... to whom?

Homie is freaking out because we lost to the #7 team in the country by 3 points. I'm glad he's not in the majority because Gonzaga once again has a very good team right now at this moment and they are going to get a helluva lot better by the end of January early February once Tillie and Crandall are full back into the line up.

Alum08
12-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Five losses.

I'm considering using you as my counter-indicator. How do you feel about the stock market?

BobZag
12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Would love to hear thoughts on "most realistic" - not hoped for, not "capable," just most likely.

With a tough schedule on the high end, 2 tough ones in Maui, @UNC, @Creighton, Tenn in AZ, UW, it seems to me that most realistic is we drop 2 out of the 5, which I believe is outstanding.

And realistically drop one WCC, in reg season, win WCC tourney.

2 OOC losses with quality wins, and one WCC loss, seems like we're last One seed or first couple of 2 seeds. 2 losses seems like lock for One seed.

Just my read.

Would like others' views.

25-5

Zagger
12-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Think about any other team adding Tillie & Crandall ..... how would that change their outlook for the remainder of the season? I believe it is very realistic to surmise that if the Zags can get by UNC this coming Saturday that they win out clear through April (w/ a full roster able to play).

ProVeeZag
12-10-2018, 12:52 PM
I'm considering using you as my counter-indicator. How do you feel about the stock market?

For short-term trade, you might take a look at Honeywell (HON) under $138. I'm not a long-term investor at this point.