• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Most Realistic Season Record

Would love to hear thoughts on "most realistic" - not hoped for, not "capable," just most likely.

With a tough schedule on the high end, 2 tough ones in Maui, @UNC, @Creighton, Tenn in AZ, UW, it seems to me that most realistic is we drop 2 out of the 5, which I believe is outstanding.

And realistically drop one WCC, in reg season, win WCC tourney.

2 OOC losses with quality wins, and one WCC loss, seems like we're last One seed or first couple of 2 seeds. 2 losses seems like lock for One seed.

Just my read.

Would like others' views.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • Sarenyon
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I have a feeling that our seed may reflect our loss record - unless its just the ooc against the tough ones you listed and we run through the WCC untouched, then it will be 1 less than our loss record (maxed out at 1 obviously).
    GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

Lose two in OOC... my gut says @UNC and championship game in Maui against Duke. Run the table against WCC
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• ZagzKrak
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Apr 2016

I think to get a 1 seed we need to go 2 of 3 against UNC, Tenn, hopefully Duke in Maui. I like our chances in all the other games.

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
          Lose two in OOC... my gut says @UNC and championship game in Maui against Duke. Run the table against WCC
          That would be an unbelievable accomplishment.

I think we're more likely to win Maui than win @UNC, and I think we're likely to drop one against Tenn or Creighton, two games away from the Kennel against two better than decent teams (Creighton not as good as Tenn). Seems like Duke has to get through a very good Aubun team and may be a little more spent prior to any final.

Lots of reason for optimism. I think we should be much better than most teams early in the year bc of our experience.
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• strikenowhere
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            The Zags, as a program, need to get over the Duke hump. Do that and its smooth sailing the rest of the way IMO.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

5 losses
              Sweet Sixteen

Nigel made all the difference.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                5 losses
                Sweet Sixteen

Sounds reasonable...it is very tough to win against good teams on the road....but, with some luck in the Krapshoot….

they could advance to the EE...... a lot depending on the matchups of course...if they can get to the EE, they are playing on house money and anything can happen....

In any case..... for me it is the journey..... and I will be grateful to see and enjoy every game....

If they run the table, it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming....and if they get beat in the first round.....it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming......

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

5 losses
                  Sweet Sixteen

I don't gamble, but I would bet a ton of money they come in with under 5 losses.

Never deny NWG made a huge difference, but this team has 3 - in my mind - future NBA players, minimum - and that, too, makes a big difference. Plus experience.

We'll see.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagceo
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Best Zag team on paper ever.....highest pre season ranking ever....toughest schedule ever

2 losses in season and 0 losses in post season

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

5 losses
                      Sweet Sixteen

I feel reaching the Sweet Sixteen with last years team amounted to a realistically successful year. It's hard to consider any season ending with a Sweet Sixteen run to be a failure. But, I will be personally crushed if this years team does not at least make the EE, and preferably the Final Four.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                        Sounds reasonable...it is very tough to win against good teams on the road....but, with some luck in the Krapshoot….

they could advance to the EE...... a lot depending on the matchups of course...if they can get to the EE, they are playing on house money and anything can happen....

In any case..... for me it is the journey..... and I will be grateful to see and enjoy every game....

If they run the table, it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming....and if they get beat in the first round.....it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming......
                        Nothing like a Zag lowering their expectations so they don’t end up hurt in the end. It’s all good. I enjoy the journey as well but expect the Zags to live up to their expectations. Just like the players and staff does.

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Lots depends on how productive Geno is. BZs 5 losses is a bit generous. Maui and the December work will tell the tale IMO. 2 losses is what I’m thinking but if we exist December with no losses, I’m thinking we run the table. As for the Tournament, I’d there are no injuries, Josh may well lead us to a FF. BZs right though, we need a Nigel performer to get us to the FF.

Comment

• MickMick
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Win Maui. Win at UNC. Experienced Zag team outperforms preconference play of youthful, talented teams.

Lose to Tennessee (the Admiral goes off, the referees kill us). Lose at home to BYU (Holiday season letdown against inspired team with a tournament bid on the line).

#1 seed. Lose the NCAA tournament regional final (The field is loaded this year).
                            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• zagamatic
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2009

I'm going to go with 1 loss, but not in the post season.

Comment

Working...
                              X