PDA

View Full Version : 2019 KenPom rankings

VinnyZag
10-20-2018, 07:23 AM
They're out today: https://kenpom.com/index.php

Zags are ... 9th. Behind Syracuse and Nevada, among others.

MontanaCoyote
10-20-2018, 07:33 AM
They're out today: https://kenpom.com/index.php

Zags are ... 9th. Behind Syracuse and Nevada, among others.

I think we’ll climb. Get adjD into single digits. I think that’s a key, if not THE key.

willandi
10-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Interesting that there are adjusted efficiencies when there is no data.

Our record is as good as Kansas...maybe better since Few is not being named in the ongoing scandal.

KStyles
10-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Interesting that there are adjusted efficiencies when there is no data.

Our record is as good as Kansas...maybe better since Few is not being named in the ongoing scandal.

He uses individual player data from previous years to form preseason rankings and gradually phases that component out as current year data becomes available.

willandi
10-20-2018, 08:57 AM
He uses individual player data from previous years to form preseason rankings and gradually phases that component out as current year data becomes available.

Previous years do not reflect this year so is faulty data.

If the scoring mainstay of a team leaves, the next man up may not have been a great scorer playing with him but was a prolific scorer in High School, and is poised to resume that role. The data will not be there so the projection is faulty.

ZagsGoZags
10-20-2018, 09:58 AM
My desires and hopes say we are in top 5.
If I was forced to bet in Vegas, sounds about right.
This team is unproven, and IMHO we lack a standout. Tillie is closest, but I hope Clark, Petrusev or one of the new guys becomes one. Or that Rui blows up this year like Kelly O. did. We do not have an Olynyk, Zach Collins, ammo, Dan D. or Ronnie at the present time. Again IMO.

ZagNative
10-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Interesting to see KenPom's projections for outcome of games scheduled, with the only loss projected to be at North Carolina, with very close games vs. Creighton and Tennessee:

https://i.imgur.com/N3zhzbD.jpg

GoZags
10-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Interesting to see KenPom's projections for outcome of games scheduled, with the only loss projected to be at North Carolina, with very close games vs. Creighton and Tennessee:

https://i.imgur.com/N3zhzbD.jpg

I'd take that game by game projection ... and I think the season will end up somewhere between there and the projected record of 24-4 (14-2 WCC). If the Zags lose 4 games (and they might) I don't believe half of their losses will be in league.

Zagceo
10-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Duke Creighton Tennessee UNC......4 pick'em games

RenoZag
10-20-2018, 03:56 PM
My desires and hopes say we are in top 5.
If I was forced to bet in Vegas, sounds about right.
This team is unproven, and IMHO we lack a standout. Tillie is closest, but I hope Clark, Petrusev or one of the new guys becomes one. Or that Rui blows up this year like Kelly O. did. We do not have an Olynyk, Zach Collins, ammo, Dan D. or Ronnie at the present time. Again IMO.

Norvell & Rui were standouts at key moments last season. I think the GUnit votes for this season will be well distributed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KStyles
10-20-2018, 07:56 PM

If the scoring mainstay of a team leaves, the next man up may not have been a great scorer playing with him but was a prolific scorer in High School, and is poised to resume that role. The data will not be there so the projection is faulty.

Absolutely.

My point was this isn't a situation where "there is no data". The rest of the student-athletes that played last year factor into the projection. There's data from them, that's how he arrives at the preseason rankings. Obviously it's not complete data, and we all know that.

mgadfly
10-21-2018, 09:33 AM

All projections are faulty, that's why they are called projections rather than guarantees or prophecy or facts.

Quite a bit goes into his projections to make them the best they can be. But yeah, they are still projections.

thespywhozaggedme
10-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Duke Creighton Tennessee UNC......4 pick'em games

Honest question, not throwing Shade; who exactly does Creighton have on the roster that makes you think that they could beat us?

Zagceo
10-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Honest question, not throwing Shade; who exactly does Creighton have on the roster that makes you think that they could beat us?

we have Creighton Washington Tennessee and UNC in a row.....Players will be looking past Creighton just as you are and the game will include travel and hostile climate...trap game