PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers covers Tacoma Tip Off (Coach Daniels)

Zag365
10-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Any takeaways regarding the program, team, players, schedule, expectations, etc. from Donny Daniels?

Rangerzag
10-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Tacoma was congratulated for continuing the event.

Both coaches were happy to be there.

I am not very good at quotations off the top of my head.

Both coaches did keep us chuckling through their entire presentations.

Coach Daniels:

Is anyone expected to red shirt?

We will approach that after exhibition and scrimmage games.

What will the initial starting lineup be?

No comment.

I believe it was Jill Townsend Coach Clinesmith reported wrestles cows for a living and coach chides her other players because they have so much trouble getting between Jill and offensive rebounds.

Radbooks
10-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Bud Withers has an article on his blog

http://www.gloryhounds.net/whatsnew/view/335205

ZagNative
10-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Bud Withers has an article on his blog

http://www.gloryhounds.net/whatsnew/view/335205This from Withers piece made me smile:

-- Brandon Clarke. “He’ll be one of the best shot-blockers Gonzaga’s ever had,” Daniels said. “He has a great feel for staying down, staying down and then going up. He’s a quick jumper.” Clarke is a scorer, but he’s not likely to lead the team in assists, Daniels said. “When Brandon catches the ball, he’s a black hole. It never comes out.”

JPtheBeasta
10-20-2018, 11:57 AM
“When Brandon catches the ball, he’s a black hole. It never comes out.”

Definitely something to watch. If he gets double teamed frequently there could be some growing pains and frustration. I think Kevin McHale, who played for the Boston Celtics, was nicknamed the Black Hole but that worked out pretty well, actually. He was quite a scorer and had more post moves than anybody I can remember.

DixieZag
10-20-2018, 03:23 PM
“When Brandon catches the ball, he’s a black hole. It never comes out.”

Definitely something to watch. If he gets double teamed frequently there could be some growing pains and frustration. I think Kevin McHale, who played for the Boston Celtics, was nicknamed the Black Hole but that worked out pretty well, actually. He was quite a scorer and had more post moves than anybody I can remember.

Yeah.

Score one for Daniels candor, that justifies people paying to hear real coach thoughts. I've heard he does a nice job.

I still think that is one of the few "Few" responsibilities to do those. I know and admire that he'd rather eat crab shells than talk about himself/team. Still, once a year, for people who support the team, seems like .... Just slightest of criticism, barely.

GoZags
10-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Yeah.

Score one for Daniels candor, that justifies people paying to hear real coach thoughts. I've heard he does a nice job.

I still think that is one of the few "Few" responsibilities to do those. I know and admire that he'd rather eat crab shells than talk about himself/team. Still, once a year, for people who support the team, seems like .... Just slightest of criticism, barely.

Traditionally Coach Daniels asks the audience NOT to post/publicly reveal what they learn at these "talks". A half dozen (or so) years ago, guboards actually lost a valued member who became upset and created quite a beef when "attendees" didn't share. I wasn't there the other night, and don't know if Coach made the request. If he DID, I'm glad that Bud must have missed it.

DixieZag
10-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Traditionally Coach Daniels asks the audience NOT to post/publicly reveal what they learn at these "talks". A half dozen (or so) years ago, guboards actually lost a valued member who became upset and created quite a beef when "attendees" didn't share. I wasn't there the other night, and don't know if Coach made the request. If he DID, I'm glad that Bud must have missed it.

I absolutely see the point, that people pay good money to hear the stories and such. I sure don't think anyone owes us an obligation and wouldn't object if mods took them down.

GoZags
10-20-2018, 04:08 PM
I absolutely see the point, that people pay good money to hear the stories and such. I sure don't think anyone owes us an obligation and wouldn't object if mods took them down.

That wasn't quite my point.

Donnie said if the audience wanted to "report" or post on the internet, he'd give a "talk" that allowed that to happen. Or ... he could give the "inside" skinny (including some details about the guys) if it stayed "private". And he'd ask for a show of hands as to "which" presentation the audience wanted. There were some hysterical anecdotes with the "non-public" version.

And the audience kept their word ... much to the chagrin of our former guboards member.

Rangerzag
10-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Donnie said if the audience wanted to "report" or post on the internet, he'd give a "talk" that allowed that to happen. Or ... he could give the "inside" skinny (including some details about the guys) if it stayed "private". And he'd ask for a show of hands as to "which" presentation the audience wanted. There were some hysterical anecdotes with the "non-public" version.

And the audience kept their word ... much to the chagrin of our former guboards member.
I do not recall any comment from Donnie for discrimination.

Certainly nothing as straight forward about any option as you described.

Even though the details were not as intimate, both coaches had me chuckling through the evening when not downright laughing out loud.

KStyles
10-20-2018, 07:47 PM

He didn't.

raise the zag
10-21-2018, 06:40 AM
High praise for Corey Kispert, Daniels said he is playing great again, and looked like the best player on the team last year pre-injury.

Remember, Kispert was the starter, and an effective one, prior to straining his ankle. And before Snacks went off.

Amazing.

Also, somewhat concerning as Kispert is affected mentally by misses (WCC Tourney), and minor injuries (he missed 2 games). A mental hurdle for him.

As Donny said himself, "some have it, some don't".

Short term memory or mental fortitude. I believe Corey has it yet will need to become mentally tougher (physically tough in spades) as he progresses in his bball career. Much like Perkins or Norvell. Injuries and missing shots are part of the game...

Also, Bud mentioned Killian hurt his shoulder before Sweet 16 game. it was his hip. Either a mis print or heard incorrectly.

DixieZag
10-21-2018, 06:46 AM

Ah. Okay.

Sorry, I misread it.

Thx for clarification.

MickMick
10-21-2018, 08:06 AM
I recall a comment by Mark Few when he was recruiting Kispert: "The best shooter on the circuit"

The inside-out game seems to really prosper when Kispert bombs from long range with his "catch n shoot".

You hear the saying; "Go with the hot hand". On any given night, Norvell, Kispert, and even Perkins can really heat it up from outside. Actually, I think Perkins' single best attribute as a player is his outside shooting. I think he would be an even better player as a dedicated combo (point guard/shooting guard). In fact, this is where I think Geno is such a valuable addition. If Crandall proves capable of efficiently running the offense, we just may see Perkins play the role of shooting guard more often than folks think. Few has been known to favor playing a set of combo guards that are both capable of running the offense. It really causes problems for opposing defenses.

It all depends on how quickly Crandall gets up to speed, but I would not be surprised if we see Crandall and Perkins in the game, together, quite often. If this lineup works, then I believe the post season playing rotation will expand from 6-7 players up to 7-8 players (with respect to meaningful playing time at critical junctures). Kispert and Norvell both need to get on the floor often, and this is where the "go with the guy with the hot hand" strategy will really come into play.

Just my opinion and perhaps a prediction. It really boils down to how different combinations of players efficiently gel as well as how effectively Crandall can make the transition.

soccerdud
10-21-2018, 02:03 PM
... Actually, I think Perkins' single best attribute as a player is his outside shooting. I think he would be an even better player as a dedicated combo (point guard/shooting guard). In fact, this is where I think Geno is such a valuable addition. If Crandall proves capable of efficiently running the offense, we just may see Perkins play the role of shooting guard more often than folks think. Few has been known to favor playing a set of combo guards that are both capable of running the offense. It really causes problems for opposing defenses.

It all depends on how quickly Crandall gets up to speed, but I would not be surprised if we see Crandall and Perkins in the game, together, quite often. If this lineup works, then I believe the post season playing rotation will expand from 6-7 players up to 7-8 players (with respect to meaningful playing time at critical junctures). Kispert and Norvell both need to get on the floor often, and this is where the "go with the guy with the hot hand" strategy will really come into play.

Just my opinion and perhaps a prediction. It really boils down to how different combinations of players efficiently gel as well as how effectively Crandall can make the transition.

no offense mickmick, but i think this take misses on what crandall has been and is most likely to be.

crandall is a quality ballhandler who is capable of running the offense, however, he had a 1:1 turnover ratio last season as the primary pg in north dakota's system -- and the numbers were worse against the best teams. i re-watched our entire game with them (where he had 5 assists and 7 tos), and some of those turnovers would have sent half this board into apoplexy if it had been josh (turnovers on the break, etc). whereas come the tourney josh will have 5 years in the system, learning few's offense and learning to play the way few wants him to (which we know has been a process, both from quotes and our own eyes), while geno will be just 5 months in -- and, in my viewing, displayed many of the same issues few -- and this board! -- has complained about with josh historically ("valuing the ball", "making winning plays, not flashy ones", etc).

based on previous stats and time in the system, i would expect geno to be coming in with familiarity with the offense and understanding of few's expectations comparable to josh's RS freshman season (valuing geno's cumulative college experience similarly to josh's RS year watching practices with pangos, bell, etc)... and, honestly, he kinda reminded me of a quicker, more assertive version of that josh when i re-watched the game against them.

that being the case, i can't see few taking the primary ballhandler/playmaker duties out of josh's hands -- especially because, as you pointed out, we have SO many guys who can provide spot-up 3-pt shooting, including crandall himself. what we need from josh is NOT to give us 12 catch-and-shoot ppg-- what we need is someone who knows the offense, understands what few expects, and can initiate and keep the whole thing running smoothly. we know that competent ballhandling/passing ability is not sufficient here-- just check out any period when silas or norvell were forced into playing pg last season. there was an unmistakable qualitative difference in how our offense ran when josh was running the point, and that's the most valuable thing he can contribute to this incredibly deep and offensively diverse team, imo.

now, crandall will be very important this year. he will absolutely get lots of playing time (including plenty w/ josh), and he's the only other player in our projected top-8 with true pg attributes. i think he'll be our 2nd choice pg, and primary slasher from the guard spot with the expectations that he'll help bring the ball up (particularly against pressure), opportunistically push/lead the break (this is where he actually could be sort of nigel-like, minus the floater), compete on d and on the boards, and kinda just fit into the rest of the (well-established) offense ala byron wesley or jordan mathews.

but taking the ball (and therefore control of the offense) out of his 5th year senior guard's hands does not sound like few, and crandall objectively (stats) and subjectively (from viewing the game) does not look like a few point guard. oh, and throw in the fact that crandall didn't get his first practice in until after kraziness, so he'll still be playing a bit of catch-up while everyone else is doing game prep -- at least early in the season when few typically experiments with lineups/roles.

now, there are obviously several counterpoints you could make. yes, crandall was asked to do more offensively last season than josh has ever needed to do for the zags --particularly in terms of scoring-- and that almost certainly contributed to his high turnover rate. additionally, he didn't have few in his ear telling him to "value the ball" every day at practice-- maybe he makes that stylistic transition quickly and easily. maybe i am undervaluing his natural bball iq and/or experience at north dakota, and he'll come in with a good fundamental understanding of both the mechanics and the theory behind few's offense. all possible (and, obviously, the better crandall assimilates and plays, the better for the zags)-- but on balance, i think there's way more reason to expect (and hope) that the roles break down like this than the other way, and it's not even close imo.

eta: and, cause i wanna fix some phrasing anyway and don't want to make a new post for this-- thanks 5-0. :)

sittingon50
10-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Great post, dud.