PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling for the Dance

Bogozags
10-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Found this while reading ESPN...

Joe Lunardi
Senior Writer, ESPN.com
Gonzaga: The Bulldogs almost always schedule "up," but this season's nonconference slate suggests that the Zags are extremely serious about another shot at an NCAA title. In addition to the Maui Invitational, in which the likes of Duke and Arizona await, the Zags play North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Creighton in Omaha and Tennessee in Phoenix, and they bring both Washington and Texas A&M to Spokane. This is the schedule of a No. 1 seed, and it would be no surprise if Gonzaga tops the West bracket on Selection Sunday.

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Lunardi & Mark Few BFF

GoZags
10-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Lunardi & Mark Few BFF

Hmmm ... I thought Few was BFF with Andy Katz. Are those two jealous of each other as they fight for the affection of Gonzaga's H.C. ? And what of the other National pundits that say nice things? They aren't BFFs too?

Or perhaps, they say nice things about Few because he's the winningest active D1 hoops coach in the nation (percentage basis) and he's been to the dance a couple of decades straight. And he's not on FBI tapes breaking the law. And maybe he isn't really taking his team to Chapel Hill, Omaha or Phoenix for U.T. ... or Maui ... and maybe his squad isn't hosting Texas A and M and Washington. And he's graduated every kid that has used up his eligibility (with one exception) in his multi decade tenure as h.c.. And to a person, the guys that have left early either now have their degree or are working on getting their degree.

The 4 1/2 hours I sat next to Lunardi on a plane (adjacent seats) I sure didn't get the impression he was Few's BFF.

But if you say so ....

Zagceo
10-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Just a joke...didn't Mark get together with Joe and discuss the changing analytics for NCAA tourney?

CDC84
10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
However, Gonzaga has to win some of those big games. Easier said than done.

Markburn1
10-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Just a joke...didn't Mark get together with Joe and discuss the changing analytics for NCAA tourney?

He doesn't get jokes.

Zagdawg
10-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
1h1 hour ago
More
Few: "This is type of non-conference schedule the committee told everybody they’d like you to play. This team needs to play a schedule like that."

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
54m54 minutes ago
More
SMC's Randy Bennett: "Our conference is up so you can get more good games within conference, and the league made a good move cutting from 18 (WCC games) to 16." Noted it helped bring about LSU and New Mexico matchups on neutral floors.

gonstu
10-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
1h1 hour ago
More
Few: "This is type of non-conference schedule the committee told everybody they’d like you to play. This team needs to play a schedule like that."

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
54m54 minutes ago
More
SMC's Randy Bennett: "Our conference is up so you can get more good games within conference, and the league made a good move cutting from 18 (WCC games) to 16." Noted it helped bring about LSU and New Mexico matchups on neutral floors.

Randy lobbying already - prepping for his coach speak while on the bubble in march?

Bogozags
10-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Randy lobbying already - prepping for his coach speak while on the bubble in march?

Once again, hitting the nail on the head...

No empathy for him...but I do sympathize for his players and fans...

bartruff1
10-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Or maybe he is just stating a informed and honest opinion...

Bogozags
10-18-2018, 03:33 PM

???

ZagsObserver
10-18-2018, 03:53 PM

The number of good games in conference will not increase. There could be some improvements, but beyond the top 3 teams no one is going to consider the rest of the batch “good” games. So, Randy’s standard needs adjusting.

soccerdud
10-18-2018, 04:13 PM

oh, man. i had no idea you told jokes.

Kong-Kool-Aid
10-18-2018, 04:29 PM
Just looked at the Tar Heels ticket resale site, Gonzaga is the second most expensive ticket this season for a home fan to buy. Nothing under $100, only one game has higher priced tickets

gonstu
10-18-2018, 04:34 PM

I'd be happy to be wrong at the end of the season - but can't see any scenario where a loss to the 4th place WCC team would be considered an excusable loss.

Zagdawg
10-18-2018, 06:03 PM
I think Randy is saying that he is now able to schedule better teams since the WCC dropped the other two games off the league schedule. Had we known that was all it would take for the gaels to leave their home gym during preseason, the league should have done this years ago.

ZagsObserver
10-18-2018, 06:44 PM
I think Randy is saying that he is now able to schedule better teams since the WCC dropped the other two games off the league schedule. Had we known that was all it would take for the gaels to leave their home gym during preseason, the league should have done this years ago.

Except that he said he could get more good games in conference this year...

Zagdawg
10-19-2018, 06:26 AM
I dont know that there has been anyone saying anything about conference games since he has no control over that -- the criticism has always been about how he is afraid to schedule an away game with decent competition -- and this has kept them out of the dance the last couple of years-- it is sad as he has had teams that should have been dancing -- but due to the fear to leave Cali-- they have earned nit bids instead.

"Noted it helped bring about LSU and New Mexico matchups on neutral floors."

Bogozags
10-19-2018, 04:15 PM
I've asked this question before and don't recall ever getting an informed reply but...

Is it possible that Randy doesn't have control over game scheduling, that maybe the AD or his assistant does the scheduling?

I ask this because if Randy does control scheduling, then why is there a chain attached to his waist that prohibits him from playing away games out of state? I know he had a home & home with Dayton a few years ago, but don't recall SMC having any similar games with any P-5 conference school - Outside of CA...

Maybe SMC just doesn't have deep enough pockets to afford the travel?

Zagdawg
10-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Endowment north of $165 million -- I would think they have enough donors that would be willing to get them greyhound fare to a game if one were lined up-- (they are getting out of the state somehow this year).

Zagdawg
10-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Mark Few Spurs WCC Scheduling Change

https://watchstadium.com/news/few-spurs-wcc-scheduling-change-10-22-2018/