PDA

View Full Version : Hachimura named to the 2019 Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award watch list

ZagNative
10-17-2018, 01:16 PM
From GoZags.com: https://gozags.com/news/2018/10/16/mens-basketball-hachimura-named-to-julius-erving-award-watch-list.aspx

Hachimura Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. Gonzaga men's basketball's Rui Hachimura was named one of 20 candidates for the 2019 Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award Wednesday.

Named after Hall of Famer and 16-year professional basketball player Julius Erving, the annual honor in its fifth year recognizes the top small forwards in Division I men's college basketball. A national committee comprised of top college basketball personnel determined the watch list of 20 candidates.

Hachimura averaged 11.6 points per game, starting only twice during the 2017-18 season. He scored a team-high 12.9 points per West Coast Conference contest. The Toyama, Japan native was fourth in the conference shooting 56.8 percent from the field, and third shooting 60.3 percent from the field in league play.

Hachimura was named First Team All-West Coast Conference and Second Team District 9 by the NABC. He scored double-digits in 23 games this past season, reaching 20 points five times. He scored a career-high 25 points, with a career-high four blocks, in the Bulldogs' second round win over Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament. Hachimura grabbed 4.7 rebounds per game.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Zags with an impressive watch list trifecta: Perkins for PG; Norvell for SG; Hachimura for SF.

Might they boast a watch list foursome w Tillie (Clarke?) for PF!!?

How many teams in the country have 3 or more players on national preseason watchlists?

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Impressive

Timme are you watching?

TheBunnieRancher
10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
The Slipper Still Fits said there are three teams that have players on all three lists but didn't say who the other two were.

OntZags
10-17-2018, 03:34 PM
The Slipper Still Fits said there are three teams that have players on all three lists but didn't say who the other two were.

Duke with Jones, Barrett & Reddish.
Virginia with Jerome, Guy & Hunter.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Duke with Jones, Barrett & Reddish.
Virginia with Jerome, Guy & Hunter.

Thank you! I think this will be the basis for my Final Four prediction if the brackets cooperate:
Gonzaga; Duke; Virginia;...and a Cinderella

If Slipper Still Fits really wants to up their game they should not only have named the three teams with 3 or more players on preseason watch lists, they should have researched and listed which teams have had same distinction for each of the five seasons since these national watch lists by position have been picked. That would be interesting to know and see how those teams fared in the tourney.

Reborn
10-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Congrats to all three guys. Man! Do I ever remember Julius Irving. I'd put him on the All-Time starting five also. He is the perfect small forward or #3.