PDA

View Full Version : What would the odds be...

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2018, 11:33 AM
that if GU wins or does very well in Maui, that they get a chance to host college game day?

JMHO, without the extra non-con game during conference play like they used to have, I am going to say it is slim unless SMC or BYU is playing outright lights out.

Just a little pre-season thing to ponder.

strikenowhere
10-17-2018, 11:55 AM
that if GU wins or does very well in Maui, that they get a chance to host college game day?

JMHO, without the extra non-con game during conference play like they used to have, I am going to say it is slim unless SMC or BYU is playing outright lights out.

I would think the better odds would be the Zags-Carolina game having Game Day at UNC.

zagamatic
10-17-2018, 11:56 AM
It would have to be a Saturday game. I haven't looked closely enough at the schedule to know what marquee games we have on our schedule.

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 12:04 PM

without looking .....name Zags only ESPN gameday in which they HOSTED?

hint Pac 10 school

GU32
10-17-2018, 12:08 PM

hint Pac 10 school

Gameday has been to Spokane twice: Stanford and Memphis at the Spokane arena.

Darreno
10-17-2018, 12:09 PM
I thought Game Day was here for Stanford first and then for Memphis? Anyone else recall this?

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Gameday has been to Spokane twice: Stanford and Memphis at the Spokane arena.

I use the word hosted as in on campus...trying to be tricky around Halloween

2006 Stanford W
2009 Memphis L
2013 Butler L
2014 Memphis L
2017 SMC W

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_GameDay_(basketball)

jbslicer
10-17-2018, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Zagceo;1402091]without looking .....name Zags only ESPN gameday in which they HOSTED?

hint Pac 10 school[/QUO

Stanford

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2018, 01:01 PM

hint Pac 10 school

Stanford is one.

UW???

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2018, 01:04 PM
I would think the better odds would be the Zags-Carolina game having Game Day at UNC.

Nope... not going to happen... first College Game Day is January 19th.

Jan 19
Jan 26
Feb 2
Feb 9
Feb 16
Feb 23
Mar 2
Mar 9

If it is going to happen... JMHO it would February 9th or February 23rd

PFzag
10-17-2018, 01:13 PM
I'd say pretty unlikely unless SMC or BYU somehow are in the top 25 when they visit (don't count on it). The only other way it might happen is if the Zags are undefeated toward the end of the season, and there is a dearth of good games around the rest of the country.

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Nope... not going to happen... first College Game Day is January 19th.

Jan 19
Jan 26
Feb 2
Feb 9
Feb 16
Feb 23
Mar 2
Mar 9

If it is going to happen... JMHO it would February 9th or February 23rd

23rd against pesky Provoians would be a National draw

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2018, 06:30 PM
23rd against pesky Provoians would be a National draw

Unless SMC is in T25 or hovering... I agree that that date would make the most sense. But still think BYU can't be like BYU was last year... which was hit and miss.

ESPN wants two things... A top 10 team, which shouldn't be a problem for the Zags, and a solid match-up. That second piece is the tough one and is outside GU's control.

caldwellzag
10-18-2018, 05:34 AM
Assuming we win Maui and are ranked number 1 when SMC or BYU come to town I would say pretty good honestly, as we are getting a ton of national attention pre-season right now, so not sure why it wouldn't continue into the season.

GoZags
10-18-2018, 06:25 AM
Please.

If the St. Mary's Gaels can host ESPN Gameday (as they did in February of '17) I have no doubt in my mind that Gonzaga will host it again.

Reborn
10-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Please.

If the St. Mary's Gaels can host ESPN Gameday (as they did in February of '17) I have no doubt in my mind that Gonzaga will host it again.

My exact feelings , GoZags! Expect it happen. Whom it will be against is not my problem. I like the mystery of who it will be. That's the best part of all of this. It's kind of cool to not know everything......Let it be.

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
10-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Don't misread what I am saying. I want it to happen and think it SHOULD happen. But, there is a difference between deserving it... and the fickle nature of national media. I guess I am a touch cynical about it.

If BYU or SMC is having a good season, I'd say there is a reasonable shot.

Fingers are crossed as I think GU deserves to host it again.

gonstu
10-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Gameday at Moraga was great - from what I recall they just talked about how good the zags were the whole time.

sittingon50
10-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Gameday at Moraga was great - from what I recall they just talked about how good the zags were the whole time.

Yep.

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2019, 11:02 AM
OK... revisiting this now that we are in conference games. Gotta think with SMC with 7 losses as of today... unlikely Zags get to host a gameday this season. Think if the Gaels were doing better there would be a very solid chance. What does everyone else think?

ZagsObserver
01-17-2019, 11:09 AM
OK... revisiting this now that we are in conference games. Gotta think with SMC with 7 losses as of today... unlikely Zags get to host a gameday this season. Think if the Gaels were doing better there would be a very solid chance. What does everyone else think?

Agreed

gonstu
01-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Agreed

+1

jazzdelmar
01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
If we had a Memphis like back in the day, yes. Otherwise, nada.

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2019, 11:44 AM
If we had a Memphis like back in the day, yes. Otherwise, nada.

Sadly all the Saturday games are blah and that is a primary component of gameday. I mean there is an outside chance with BYU as well... but they are worse than the Gaels this season.

DixieZag
01-17-2019, 11:50 AM
To be fair, Gameday sure seems to like coming out west and focusing on us. They just raved about the last trip to SMC. I bet they'd love to be on our campus.

But not for a crap game, and even though we appreciate that the teams in the WCC are better this year, no game at all stands out as nationally important.