PDA

View Full Version : Timme's Decision is Coming...

Pages : [1] 2

caldwellzag
10-16-2018, 06:24 AM
Here is the article.

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Four-star-Drew-Timme-sets-decision-date-123400398/

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 06:37 AM
Hope he chooses the Zags... but not getting my hopes too high.

caldwellzag
10-16-2018, 06:45 AM

Right with you. He visited Alabama this last weekend and Illinios this coming weekend, so when you look at school size of the rest of his visits we are the major outlier.

strikenowhere
10-16-2018, 07:01 AM

He'll be at 2nd fiddle programs to football with Alabama and Texas A&M.

Who knows what is going to happen to Arizona after the Adidas case is over?

The Illinois program is at least respectable.

Bouldin4Prez
10-16-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure why, but I think he's picking Texas A&M. Hope it's the Zags though, obviously.

cggonzaga
10-16-2018, 07:07 AM
I'm not sure why, but I think he's picking Texas A&M. Hope it's the Zags thought, obviously.

Probably because 247 crystal ball has 5 of their 9 experts picking A&M.

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Right with you. He visited Alabama this last weekend and Illinios this coming weekend, so when you look at school size of the rest of his visits we are the major outlier.

Flipside to that is he'd be BMOC at GU, heck he'd be the talk of the entire city of Spokane.

Size of the school isn't what worries me as much as the draw of a local team.

Bouldin4Prez
10-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Probably because 247 crystal ball has 5 of their 9 experts picking A&M.

I didn't even look at that, my apologies.

Zagnificent
10-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Flipside to that is he'd be BMOC at GU, heck he'd be the talk of the entire city of Spokane.

Size of the school isn't what worries me as much as the draw of a local team.

Would he though? Next to Anton Watson and Arlauskas? Aren't they also Top-50 recruits?

thespywhozaggedme
10-16-2018, 07:48 AM

I've read the Illinois board several times and they think they have zero chance.

bartruff1
10-16-2018, 07:59 AM
I find it unseemly for some self absorbed high school kid to have a news conference to announce his choice of what college will be so fortunate as to have him play there ....

caldwellzag
10-16-2018, 08:02 AM
I've read the Illinois board several times and they think they have zero chance.

From what I have been reading I think it's a 3 team race between A&M, Alabama, and GU. I personally believe that GU is probably a slight favorite simply because of his fit and getting him to the pros. I have no other reason to believe this and I am trying not to get my hopes up, so I tend to look at reasons why he would go elsewhere. I think this recruiting class will end up with Brock, Anton, Martynas, Drew, and Pavel, maybe the best recruiting class in school history.

cggonzaga
10-16-2018, 08:03 AM
I find it unseemly for some self absorbed high school kid to have a news conference to announce his choice of what college will be so fortunate as to have him play there ....

They literally all do this nowadays. Even lower level commits.

Bouldin4Prez
10-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Flip side: this kid has worked extremely hard throughout his life and now has the opportunity to play at the next level and is coveted by many top colleges. Now he wants to share this moment with family and friends as well as show his pride. I don't find anything wrong with it. He seemed to be a class act throughout the entire recruiting process.

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 08:11 AM

I can see your point... but even my kid's HS had a signing days where athletes committed to schools ranging from D3 to D1 and local press has been invited in the past. JMHO... it promotes seeking higher education to others. In terms of kids like Timme and others, let us be honest here. People are waiting to hear their choice, sometimes a LOT of people are waiting to hear. Why not answer people's questions in a public setting? I don't think it is self absorbed but rather a means to an end to let people know your choice.

Zagceo
10-16-2018, 08:18 AM

agree

unless he picks Gonzaga...then becomes a recruitment video.D

bartruff1
10-16-2018, 08:24 AM
I can see your point... but even my kid's HS had a signing days where athletes committed to schools ranging from D3 to D1 and local press has been invited in the past. JMHO... it promotes seeking higher education to others. In terms of kids like Timme and others, let us be honest here. People are waiting to hear their choice, sometimes a LOT of people are waiting to hear. Why not answer people's questions in a public setting? I don't think it is self absorbed but rather a means to an end to let people know your choice.

Ah yes.... the Selfie Generation...is he going to do it from a hot tub.....will he open a envelope...will he have a halfdozen hats ????.....it is probably a generational difference in values...... and he better stay the hell off my lawn... ;)

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Ah yes.... the Selfie Generation...is he going to do it from a hot tub.....will he open a envelope...will he have a half cozen hats ????.....it is probably a generational difference in values...... and he better stay the hell off my lawn... ;)

Sorry... just see it differently. If LeBron had gone to college, would it have been self absorbed if he announced in a presser? I mean that would have had likely millions waiting to hear where he would have gone. We live in a media driven (social or regular). Honestly, it is no any more self absorbed as the kid posting it on social media. These kids work their tails off to get a D1 offer, they deserve a little bit of praise.

primal23
10-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Ah yes.... the Selfie Generation...is he going to do it from a hot tub.....will he open a envelope...will he have a half cozen hats ????.....it is probably a generational difference in values...... and he better stay the hell off my lawn... ;)

Sorry reading this made my mind go immediately to Dr Seuss’s green eggs and ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robzagnut
10-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Damn kids stay off my lawn. In my day we walked to school in 6 feet of snow without boots.

EEzag
10-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Soooooo, between us and 'Zona? Is that the consensus? I hope with the earlier announcement rather than dragging it out means good things for us.......
Is A&M really in the hunt?

bartruff1
10-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Thank you....thank you....Sam-I-Am....

caldwellzag
10-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Soooooo, between us and 'Zona? Is that the consensus? I hope with the earlier announcement rather than dragging it out means good things for us.......
Is A&M really in the hunt?

I actually think Arizona is in last out of the 5 schools he visits. I think it comes down to us and Alabama honestly.

DixieZag
10-16-2018, 09:01 AM
They literally all do this nowadays. Even lower level commits.

And it is often not even what the kid really wants, or at least the kid often is not the one even planning it. Many of the high schools want the publicity for their students and from my limited experience in media, the high schools would call the TV stations and do several students that day.

I am sure lots of kids love the attention. I know I would have maximized my self-importance at 18 to an obnoxious degree, but not all kids would. Yes, they could say "Nah, I want to sign at home w/ my family" but it is harder when there are others wanting you to do it.

It seems like there's a lot to like about this kid. I sure hope he gives us good consideration. I'd never diss a kid who played close to home at a good school like A&M, though. It would also be great to make inroads into Texas. We're already the international destination of so many, why not add Texas to the list of countries we draw out of??? Just kidding TZF

caldwellzag
10-16-2018, 09:04 AM
And it is often not even what the kid really wants, or at least the kid often is not the one even planning it. Many of the high schools want the publicity for their students and from my limited experience in media, the high schools would call the TV stations and do several students that day.

I am sure lots of kids love the attention. I know I would have maximized my self-importance at 18 to an obnoxious degree, but not all kids would. Yes, they could say "Nah, I want to sign at home w/ my family" but it is harder when there are others wanting you to do it.

To me it is a celebration of success. In education we have a graduation ceremony to celebrate success, this is similar for athletics. Almost every high school does this, it's nothing new. I am glad this is how Drew is announcing it.

Zagceo
10-16-2018, 09:06 AM
I've heard 8th graders are having pressers choosing HIGH SCHOOLS

they've worked hard and deserve a platform ....right?

mgadfly
10-16-2018, 09:09 AM

Isn't it those of us who sit at our computers gossiping and waiting and hoping that some kid chooses us that creates the circus? If a million parents and coaches are standing by waiting to hear where an 8th grader is going to go ... well, I guess it is newsworthy. I don't blame the 8th grader (who probably worked pretty hard to have a million people waiting to hear his decision), I blame the parents, coaches, fans that care so much they go to message boards and post about some sport 5,147 times.

gu03alum
10-16-2018, 09:13 AM
When I was in high school, the school did an awards ceremony for the seniors. At the awards ceremony they announced where each student who was going to college was going and how much scholarship money they had received. I was kind of embarrassed, but it was also cool to be recognized in that way for my hard work.

Zagceo
10-16-2018, 09:16 AM
How many remember Perkins school reveal?

Mr Vulture
10-16-2018, 09:18 AM
I think it's Texas A&M with Gonzaga second in line. Texas A&M is the more local school to him and they just sent three kids to the NBA including two bigs. I would be surprised if any kid chose Arizona at this point if they are getting solid advice.

gu03alum
10-16-2018, 09:22 AM
I think it's Texas A&M with Gonzaga second in line. Texas A&M is the more local school to him and they just sent three kids to the NBA including two bigs. I would be surprised if any kid chose Arizona at this point if they are getting solid advice.

It sounds like Arizona is one of the top spenders. Only reason not to go there is if they have stopped paying players while the NCAA and FBI are investigating.

DixieZag
10-16-2018, 09:36 AM
To me it is a celebration of success. In education we have a graduation ceremony to celebrate success, this is similar for athletics. Almost every high school does this, it's nothing new. I am glad this is how Drew is announcing it.

That is a nice way to think of it.

Well done.

hooter73
10-16-2018, 10:16 AM
How many remember Perkins school reveal?

Yep university of Gonzaga shirtless reveal was really... something.

Wiltijer calling his own presser to KU was my first experience with it. Pretty well soured me on the ridiculousness of it all

Club Prez
10-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Wiltijer calling his own presser to KU was my first experience with it. Pretty well soured me on the ridiculousness of it all

Kansas University = KU

University of Kentucky = UK.

Zagceo
10-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Kansas University = KU

and UG is University of Georgia...ouch

ZagDad84
10-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Technically it is the University of Georgia at Athens, otherwise known as UGA, the same name as their mascot.

ZagDad

jazzdelmar
10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Technically it is the University of Georgia at Athens, otherwise known as UGA, the same name as their mascot.

ZagDad

MMA is more like it.....

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Gotta say, not sure I have ever heard of it. Would appreciate a link or two.

I'd say in that situation thought, you are looking at a Lavar Ball situation where realistically it isn't the kid but likely the parent

Zagceo
10-16-2018, 11:21 AM

ZagDad

yeah....like its WSUP or UWS

JPtheBeasta
10-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Just so we’re all on the same page, Batman can also correctly be called The Batman.

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Just so we’re all on the same page, Batman can also correctly be called The Batman.

Would it be The Batman or would it be OSU style: THE Batman?

JPtheBeasta
10-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Would it be The Batman or would it be OSU style: THE Batman?

You’ve got me there. If there were a Batman Miami Ohio I would definitely go with the more emphatic THE.

raise the zag
10-16-2018, 12:57 PM
I hope Gonzaga...or any team besides Arizona.

Grand Valley Zag
10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Kansas University = KU

weirdly, KU is actually "University of Kansas," not "Kansas University." Just like we call University of Colorado CU, and University of Denver is DU.

bdmiller7
10-16-2018, 01:31 PM
From what I have been reading I think it's a 3 team race between A&M, Alabama, and GU. I personally believe that GU is probably a slight favorite simply because of his fit and getting him to the pros. I have no other reason to believe this and I am trying not to get my hopes up, so I tend to look at reasons why he would go elsewhere. I think this recruiting class will end up with Brock, Anton, Martynas, Drew, and Pavel, maybe the best recruiting class in school history.

I have seen a few places where Pavel is actually a 2020 recruit, so I'll take him in 2020 and Issac Johnson in the 19 class coming in 2021.

sittingon50
10-16-2018, 02:11 PM
November 14th is the EARLY signing period for basketball. It is also the same date for all other high school athletes signing for ANY sport other than football.

I have seen many instances where a school sets up a couple of long tables & have all the kids sign their letters of intent at the same time. I suspect Drew is going to share this time with some of his classmates, not draw attention to himself.

Purely speculation on my part.

23zagmd
10-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Sorry... just see it differently. If LeBron had gone to college, would it have been self absorbed if he announced in a presser? I mean that would have had likely millions waiting to hear where he would have gone. We live in a media driven (social or regular). Honestly, it is no any more self absorbed as the kid posting it on social media. These kids work their tails off to get a D1 offer, they deserve a little bit of praise.

Uh....He is not LeBron!

jazzdelmar
10-16-2018, 02:18 PM
I have seen a few places where Pavel is actually a 2020 recruit, so I'll take him in 2020 and Issac Johnson in the 19 class coming in 2021.

Bure?

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-16-2018, 02:35 PM
weirdly, KU is actually "University of Kansas," not "Kansas University." Just like we call University of Colorado CU, and University of Denver is DU.

and Fordham University is... :D

Sometimes the thread drift is so strong it pulls me in deeper!

jazzdelmar
10-16-2018, 02:43 PM
and Fordham University is... :D

Sometimes the thread drift is so strong it pulls me in deeper!

Don’t get me started.

cggonzaga
10-16-2018, 02:48 PM

It seems like there's a lot to like about this kid. I sure hope he gives us good consideration. I'd never diss a kid who played close to home at a good school like A&M, though. It would also be great to make inroads into Texas. We're already the international destination of so many, why not add Texas to the list of countries we draw out of??? Just kidding TZF

Yes to all of this. The original comment would’ve made some sense if the recruit was the look at me type but Timme definitely isn’t.

Zagger
10-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Timme's Decision is Coming... On November 14th. Heck, the Nov 6th elections can't come soon enough. Makes Nov 14th seems like forever :)

I hope Timme chooses GU - for how it'll prepare him for the NBA. I like who GU does get and just wish some had stuck around longer. I'd rather have a Josh Perkins, Silas Melson or Mt K here for the full term than guys who only last a year or two. With the exception of transfers that can only be at GU for a shorter period of time. Another exception is when a player that is relatively unknown, like Rui, ends up making a big impression in a short time. I just don't get all that excited to land kids that are already well known.

Kong-Kool-Aid
10-16-2018, 03:09 PM

What's Georgetown?

bdmiller7
10-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Bure?

The Russian Rocket. Zakharov needs another year to develop a sweet nickname.

Zagceo
10-16-2018, 03:37 PM
What's Georgetown?

G

just g

willandi
10-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Would he though? Next to Anton Watson and Arlauskas? Aren't they also Top-50 recruits?

They aren't 7'+

He would be the BIG man on campus! LOL

cjm720
10-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Gonzaga is the only program that can offer what he says he wants in terms of a program that can develop him for the next level. It’s not even a close discussion other than zona. The heart may lean him closer to home though...

LongIslandZagFan
10-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Uh....He is not LeBron!

Never said he was. Just used it as an example. Point being, the implication was ANY student that did it is self-absorbed. I am saying with some kids there is enough interest to warrant it... Timme and honestly any 4 start and higher players incur enough interest.

Zags_Fanatic
10-16-2018, 10:47 PM
I don't know if it will affect anything, but Omar Thielemans left Arizona today. They didn't have any schollies for 2019 but that opens one up.

TexasZagFan
10-17-2018, 04:05 AM
Gonzaga is the only program that can offer what he says he wants in terms of a program that can develop him for the next level. It’s not even a close discussion other than zona. The heart may lean him closer to home though...

IMO, the coaching staff did the best job they could in recruiting Drew. I feel good about our chances, but I'm not going to lose any sleep between now and November 14. Drew's a fine young man, and fits the Zag profile. I think he has a better chance to achieve his goals by matriculating at Gonzaga.

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 09:05 AM
tale of the tape

$55K Gonzaga 152 acre campus w/5200 undergrads

$20K Texas A&M 5200 acre campus w/53,000 undergrads

like Kispert choosing GU....gonna be hard getting Timme outta Texas IMO

hope I'm wrong

CDC84
10-17-2018, 10:49 AM
I wish Timme could wait on his decision until after the Texas A&M game this season. The Aggies are not projected to be a NCAA tournament team this season. There is no reason why Gonzaga shouldn't handle the Aggies easily. But Texas can be a state that's hard to pry top 100 kids out of unless you're a blue blood.

Zagceo
10-17-2018, 11:52 AM
lists that matter to some recruits

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/West-Coast-Conference/11/Gonzaga/332/nba-players

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Texas-AM/61/nba-players

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Kentucky/258/nba-players

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-Coast-Conference/1/Duke/31/nba-players

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-Coast-Conference/1/North-Carolina/2/nba-players

Mr Vulture
10-17-2018, 12:18 PM

That isn't true at all. Texas A&M just sent a kid with a similar profile to the NBA last year, Robert Williams, and has two other in NBA developmental from last year as well.

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Luckily the last 3 listed by ceo aren't listed by Timme. But GU is certainly on par with A&M in terms of those lists.

Bama isn't really on par.

cggonzaga
10-17-2018, 04:02 PM
That isn't true at all. Texas A&M just sent a kid with a similar profile to the NBA last year, Robert Williams, and has two other in NBA developmental from last year as well.

A similar profile to Williams?! Not even close.

TexasZagFan
10-17-2018, 04:20 PM

For all of his talent, Williams’ motor/work ethic does not compare to Timme’s.

willandi
10-17-2018, 05:46 PM

Robert Williams, not J3.

cggonzaga
10-17-2018, 08:35 PM
Robert Williams, not J3.

Yes understood. Still not close. Completely different shill sets.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-18-2018, 01:56 AM

Hope Timme is happy and successful wherever he goes but the bigs Gonzaga has developed into NBA players (Turiaf, Sacre, Olynyk, Sabonis, Collins) are different then the bigs A&M has springboarded to NBA. With exception of Collins, I would argue none of these Zags were locks for the NBA when they first arrived on campus. It was all about player development. Williams kid for A&M (& DJ Hoag and the other big now in NBA developmental) had the raw talent and athleticism for NBA regardless; I don’t think his game or body developed during college the way Zags’ bigs did. This is why Gonzaga is best choice for Timme imho.

Mr Vulture
10-18-2018, 08:22 AM

I never said they were the same player and I would argue that Robert Williams was more athletic to start with. The only point I'm making is that it is a fact that Texas A&M has developed bigs for the NBA. I am not talking down the Zags, I think we are perfect fit for Timme. I am simply saying that the statement that we are the only program that fits his stated desires is not accurate...IMO

ZagaholicPodcast
10-18-2018, 04:05 PM

Possible. Collins, Norvell, Tillie, and Hachimura were all the same draft class, and will all have multi-year NBA careers, at least. Don't see Brock or Martynas as NBA prospects...but even if it was just Anton, Drew and Pavel...I mean...you're talking about 3 NBA players in a single recruiting class without any in the Top 25. And when 3 players in a single recruiting class are not enough to be the best recruiting class in the history of the school, it's yet another boon to the progress of the program.

cjm720
10-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Williams was a projected lottery pick when he stepped on campus, so he seemingly didn’t develop as well as projected. I feel Timme would develop considerably more at GU and our pound for pound track record is undeniable.

Mr Vulture
10-19-2018, 10:35 AM
I don't disagree that Gonzaga is a good fit, I was only stating that we weren't the only program that fit his stated hot points wasn't totally accurate. Regardless, I don't really care at this point, I just hope he picks the Zags.

caldwellzag
10-22-2018, 06:57 AM
Timme visited Illinios this weekend. From 247 sports here is a Primer article for that visit. If you do not have VIP I am not sure you can read it, but if you do it is a good read and some good praise for Gonzaga in there.

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Illinois-Fighting-Illini-Visit-Primer-Drew-Timme-123481240/

caldwellzag
10-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Drew Timme watch is down to just over 18 days now and looks like he picked up his first Gonzaga Crystal Ball on 247 (at least if my math is right :)

strikenowhere
10-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Drew Timme watch is down to just over 18 days now and looks like he picked up his first Gonzaga Crystal Ball on 247 (at least if my math is right :)

Interesting that its coming from a Duke site personality too.

scrooner
10-26-2018, 11:27 AM
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Drew-Timme-at-Pearce-181821/CurrentExpertPredictions/

Top crystal ball pick is Texas A&M, who just lost to Stephen F Austin in their closed scrimmage, 76-72.

caldwellzag
10-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Interesting that its coming from a Duke site personality too.

Yeah it looks like he flipped his vote from Duke (really early on) to us today.

caldwellzag
10-26-2018, 11:30 AM
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Drew-Timme-at-Pearce-181821/CurrentExpertPredictions/

Top crystal ball pick is Texas A&M, who just lost to Stephen F Austin in their closed scrimmage, 76-72.

Most of those came right after his official visit there and at that time was his only OV. Now he has done 4 of them and we just picked up one crystal ball. I would guess they start rolling in our direction shortly. I highly doubt he ends up at Texas A&M, but what do I know honestly!

thespywhozaggedme
10-26-2018, 12:01 PM
WE WANT TIMME *CLAP, CLAP, CLAPCLAPCLAP*!!

CDC84
10-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Very odd to see these crystal ball picks for Duke, and 247 says they haven't even offered Timme.

MDABE80
10-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Neither Duke nor A & M would be his best choices to be developed for an NBA/Euro ball future. To each his own though. Hate for him to come and get horribly homesick and then leave. We've seen that before.

jazzdelmar
10-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Neither Duke nor A & M would be his best choices to be developed for an NBA/Euro ball future. To each his own though. Hate for him to come and get horribly homesick and then leave. We've seen that before.

Koach now restricts himself to top 10, one and doners. How does Timme fit that profile? Preferred walk-on, seriously?

TexasZagFan
10-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Koach now restricts himself to top 10, one and doners. How does Timme fit that profile? Preferred walk-on, seriously?

He doesn’t, though I think he could hang against the two big men named on the Duke site, ranked #2 & 5 per 247 Sports.
Assuming Drew wants meaningful minutes as a freshman, Gonzaga will have that to offer next year. If Clarke returns, the 5 will be open, as Petrusiv is more of a stretch 4.

jazzdelmar
10-26-2018, 04:15 PM
He doesn’t, though I think he could hang against the two big men named on the Duke site, ranked #2 & 5 per 247 Sports.
Assuming Drew wants meaningful minutes as a freshman, Gonzaga will have that to offer next year. If Clarke returns, the 5 will be open, as Petrusiv is more of a stretch 4.

Clark, Petro, Watson and Timme would be tops in the country.

MileHigh
10-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Neither Duke nor A & M would be his best choices to be developed for an NBA/Euro ball future.

Duke currently has 25 guys on NBA rosters, Gonzaga has 4....I don't think you want to use the "we develop better/more pros" when recruiting against Duke..lol

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-16/colleges-most-players-nba-opening-day-rosters

JPtheBeasta
10-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Duke currently has 25 guys on NBA rosters, Gonzaga has 4....I don't think you want to use the "we develop better/more pros" when recruiting against Duke..lol

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-16/colleges-most-players-nba-opening-day-rosters

I’m not sure how much “developing” occurs at Duke, at least lately. They are getting players who are NBA-bound from the start, it seems to me. If I was was a fringe NBA big man I would feel confident that I would get the exposure and opportunities I needed to showcase my abilities at GU. Timme could be underutilized and spend more time on the bench in favor of whatever lottery pick big man Duke pickups each of he next for years.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2018, 08:47 AM
I’m not sure how much “developing” occurs at Duke, at least lately. They are getting players who are NBA-bound from the start, it seems to me. If I was was a fringe NBA big man I would feel confident that I would get the exposure and opportunities I needed to showcase my abilities at GU. Timme could be underutilized and spend more time on the bench in favor of whatever lottery pick big man Duke pickups each of he next for years.

Exactly. Zion doesn’t need much development. Timme isn’t a Duke level kid and if he has league aspirations Gonzaga is as good a place as any, better than most in fact, to spend 3-4 years and develop.

Zags_Fanatic
10-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Yes and no. I thank Abe's key word is "developed." Duke gets a ton of guys into the NBA but they are often sure fire guys, many of which could have gone straight from high school. Timme is an intriguing player with a great skill set and he will be an absolute stud in college but he is the type of player that will benefit a lot more from a program like Gonzaga/Villanova/West Virginia than a program like Duke.

There is a 0% chance that Olynyk would be making $$$$ in the NBA right now if he had gone to Duke.

Collins just had a great article come out where he speaks glowingly of how Gonzaga prepared him to get better in the NBA.

Despite what Donovan and OKC tried to do to derail his career and make Sabonis into a modern NBA stretch 4, he is well on his way to 6th man of the year and an $80-100M contract because the Pacers went back to the strengths that the GU staff identified and helped him to develop.

It's a case by case basis and even though I am a biased homer for GU I truly believe that Timme has a better path to the NBA going to GU than he would battling Top 5 superstars for minutes at Duke. That said I think players like RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson have a much better path at the blue bloods.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Yes and no. I thank Abe's key word is "developed." Duke gets a ton of guys into the NBA but they are often sure fire guys, many of which could have gone straight from high school. Timme is an intriguing player with a great skill set and he will be an absolute stud in college but he is the type of player that will benefit a lot more from a program like Gonzaga/Villanova/West Virginia than a program like Duke.

There is a 0% chance that Olynyk would be making $$$$ in the NBA right now if he had gone to Duke.

Collins just had a great article come out where he speaks glowingly of how Gonzaga prepared him to get better in the NBA.

Despite what Donovan and OKC tried to do to derail his career and make Sabonis into a modern NBA stretch 4, he is well on his way to 6th man of the year and an $80-100M contract because the Pacers went back to the strengths that the GU staff identified and helped him to develop.

It's a case by case basis and even though I am a biased homer for GU I truly believe that Timme has a better path to the NBA going to GU than he would battling Top 5 superstars for minutes at Duke. That said I think players like RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson have a much better path at the blue bloods.

Collins makes the NBA from Podunk U.

Even that poison Westbrook couldn’t hold The Bonus down.

MDABE80
10-27-2018, 10:03 AM

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-16/colleges-most-players-nba-opening-day-rosters Duke does great one and done Mile. We develope. duke is basically a one year holding pen till the next draft. 4 bigs in the NBA now. I’d like to think we could develop Timme as he’s not hardly NBA ready IMO.

MileHigh
10-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Duke does great one and done Mile. We develope. duke is basically a one year holding pen till the next draft. 4 bigs in the NBA now. I’d like to think we could develop Timme as he’s not hardly NBA ready IMO.

Numbers just don't support that theory.
Over the last ten years duke has had 13 "non 1 and dones" (at least 2 years in program) drafted.
Gonzaga has had 4. There are a lot of selling points for a recruit to pick Zags over Duke, but NBA preparation aint one of them

MDABE80
10-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Opinions opinions opinions...

jazzdelmar
10-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Opinions opinions opinions...

He’s right about one thing. Gonzaga’s record in developing point guards for the NBA is abysmal.

webspinnre
10-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Numbers just don't support that theory.
Over the last ten years duke has had 13 "non 1 and dones" (at least 2 years in program) drafted.
Gonzaga has had 4. There are a lot of selling points for a recruit to pick Zags over Duke, but NBA preparation aint one of them

I'd like to see a comparison on the recruiting ratings of said players. I strongly suspect that Duke's players were significantly higher rated than Gonzaga's.

maynard g krebs
10-27-2018, 02:12 PM
He’s right about one thing. Gonzaga’s record in developing point guards for the NBA is abysmal.

Yeah. UW under Romar did a far superior job of getting guards to the NBA. :)

MileHigh
10-27-2018, 02:20 PM
I'd like to see a comparison on the recruiting ratings of said players. I strongly suspect that Duke's players were significantly higher rated than Gonzaga's.

I don't know about all the kids that have been drafted from Duke, but the last 2 Zag players drafted were definitely Duke quality players (both McDonalds AA's)

soccerdud
10-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Yeah. UW under Romar did a far superior job of getting guards to the NBA. :)

hah. the best trolls are true. well played, mgk.

JAGzag
10-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Duke v. Gonzaga. As a fringe “Duke quality” player, Drew has a 100% probability of getting recruited over and losing playing time at Duke. Not the case at GU. Doesn’t seem like much of a draw.

MDABE80
10-27-2018, 07:57 PM
Very good point Jag. He’s got some major motor. Lots of developing skills. Not much of a leaped but everything else looks good. Hope we get him. Tough kid.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-28-2018, 03:54 AM
Duke v. Gonzaga. As a fringe “Duke quality” player, Drew has a 100% probability of getting recruited over and losing playing time at Duke. Not the case at GU. Doesn’t seem like much of a draw.

Exactly. If Timme were to choose Duke then struggle to get meaningful minutes in year 1 due to super star, NBA bound one and doners gobbling up all the playing time, he can rest assured the same thing will happen his 2nd year.

JPtheBeasta
10-28-2018, 07:16 AM

Those are my sentiments, too, although I would put the probability a little lower. If he is playing for Duke he will get tons of exposure, but he could easily get Kyle Wiltjered. Although the freak physical specimens with bench roles in college can still get drafted on potential and scout combine measurables, guys like Kyle who rely on skills and basketball feel/IQ need to show the scouts something in college. I haven't seen Timme in person so I acknowledge that I could completely have Timme wrong as a player, but the Zags do have an excellent track record with showcasing skilled big men and committing to them while they are here.

Bogozags
10-28-2018, 07:33 AM

So, let’s see now...the last GU guard that was drafted and played in the NBA was...DD...and how many years ago was that?

I’d say we are better known as “Front-Court-U”...Sacre, Harris Olynk, DS, and ZC...That is five of our last eight front court players.

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 07:38 AM

maybe Timme wants to be orthopedic surgeon. Duke would be a mighty fine draw.

JAGzag
10-28-2018, 07:39 AM
maybe Timme wants to be orthopedic surgeon. Duke would be a mighty fine draw.

Sorry I thought this was a basketball forum.

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 07:51 AM
Sorry I thought this was a basketball forum.

me too..until we started seeing track threads.

TexasZagFan
10-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Those are my sentiments, too, although I would put the probability a little lower. If he is playing for Duke he will get tons of exposure, but he could easily get Kyle Wiltjered. Although the freak physical specimens with bench roles in college can still get drafted on potential and scout combine measurables, guys like Kyle who rely on skills and basketball feel/IQ need to show the scouts something in college. I haven't seen Timme in person so I acknowledge that I could completely have Timme wrong as a player, but the Zags do have an excellent track record with showcasing skilled big men and committing to them while they are here.

Regarding other comments above,

I saw Drew play at the end of the year against our HS...admittedly a small sample size. One thing that jumped out at me was his ability to pass out of double and triple teams. If his teammates had hit half of their wide open looks, he would have easily had a triple double. He took over the game in the fourth quarter, turning a single digit lead into a 25 point blowout.

Zags could definitely run their offense through him, just like they did with Karno. Put him next to Clarke next year (assuming Brandon stays another year), and the Zags frontcourt can be named the "Windex Warriors", as they'll dominate in the rebound department. Drew averaged 16 boards a game last year.

TexasZagFan
10-28-2018, 08:42 AM
So, let’s see now...the last GU guard that was drafted and played in the NBA was...DD...and how many years ago was that?

I’d say we are better known as “Front-Court-U”...Sacre, Harris Olynk, DS, and ZC...That is five of our last eight front court players.

That drought will be ended, thanks to Snacks.

bartruff1
10-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Norvel would need a protection order in the NBA....they would run right over him...those guards are big and bad and fast and skilled and mean … amazing basketballers...fierce competitors ….

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 09:22 AM
Norvel would need a protection order in the NBA....they would run right over him...those guards are big and bad and fast and skilled and mean … amazing basketballers...fierce competitors ….

for the most part yes...always a chance to develop into a Lillard or McCollum both 6'3" quick and can shoot the 3...and both make over $25,000,000.00 a year for Blazers...chance key word

jazzdelmar
10-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Agree. Snacks gotta stay 3 years, get stronger. Even then, .....

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 09:27 AM
That drought will be ended, thanks to Snacks.

yup. I think he sneaks into the back end of the lottery.

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 09:28 AM

Huh? He's a legit 6'4, 6'5. I think he's got the chance to be an NBA All Star, he just has the "it" factor.

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Huh? He's a legit 6'4, 6'5. I think he's got the chance to be an NBA All Star, he just has the "it" factor.

if true...he'd already be in the league IMO

like Markelle Fultz

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 09:42 AM
if true...he'd already be in the league IMO

like Markelle Fultz

You have to be a one and done to have the "it" factor?

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 09:50 AM
You have to be a one and done to have the "it" factor?

if GM's see "it factor" and kid is draft eligible age means nothing...like Collins or Divincenzo

willandi
10-28-2018, 10:00 AM
if GM's see "it factor" and kid is draft eligible age means nothing...like Collins or Divincenzo

Or Rui...

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Or Rui...

Boom!

bartruff1
10-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Agree. Snacks gotta stay 3 years, get stronger. Even then, .....

About half of the NBA All Star Team are guards....I would hate to see him get in front of people like Westbrook, or Wall, or Harden or Butler....Smart ..Labron and Keven can even play offense and defense at the guard....no way...maybe Perkins gets a chance...

If Gonzaga could recruit guards with NBA potential they would not recruit players like Wade or Ravet or even Kevin…. they maybe good or even excellent college players but NBA???

tyra
10-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Dominick Harris?

Zagceo
10-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Boom!

Rui would have been drafted...if he entered the draft IMO and others

Some around the league speculated Hachimura may have had a chance to sneak into the back end of the 2018 lottery had he stayed in the draft. Instead, he’ll return to a loaded Gonzaga team that should have a strong shot at the Final Four, and will in all likelihood be a first-rounder in some capacity. A powerful athlete and finisher who should be able to play both forward spots, Hachimura has clear NBA-caliber tools, but has to refine his game off the dribble, and scouts will be looking for him to take a step forward as a shooter (he has a capable mid-range game and shot 79% from the line, but made just five of 26 three-point attempts this season). He’s a popular candidate to break out in full.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/27/nba-draft-2019-prospect-rankings-big-board

Zach 33

Tillie 38

jazzdelmar
10-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Or Rui...

Not so far.

willandi
10-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Not so far.

Only because HE chose not too.

MileHigh
10-28-2018, 10:52 AM
predicting who will be picked in the lottery is pretty impossible at this point as the top 20 ranked incoming freshman will either play themselves in, or out, of the lottery during thier one and done season. The lottery, for the most part is one and done'rs and international players. 21 year old guys like Rui and Norvell are longshots indeed when you look at the history of the draft lottery

willandi
10-28-2018, 10:58 AM
predicting who will be picked in the lottery is pretty impossible at this point as the top 20 ranked incoming freshman will either play themselves in, or out, of the lottery during thier one and done season. The lottery, for the most part is one and done'rs and international players. 21 year old guys like Rui and Norvell are longshots indeed when you look at the history of the draft lottery

Olynyk and Sabonis. Seems Gonzaga has a different plan, even with internationals.

bartruff1
10-28-2018, 11:24 AM

truth

JPtheBeasta
10-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Just for clarity, what are we considering the draft lottery? First 3 picks? First 10? Entire first round? Something else?

Maybe it would be better to discuss recruiting class rankings. On 247 Sports, Duke had 4/5 #1 draft classes the past 5 years (Kentucky being the other). I got bored with looking after that. Duke is consistently getting more highly touted recruits than Gonzaga and that should be virtually undeniable at this point. One can make a good argument that the Zags have been getting very high quality unheralded players but that really isn't part of the discussion, which is about fringe NBA players getting "developed" by various teams (which I would argue Gonzaga is very good at, but part of the equation is a guy like Timme getting enough touches to shine.) Timme runs the risk of the next top 5 center in high school taking his spot every year he plays for a team like Duke, Arizona, or Kentucky.

bdmiller7
10-28-2018, 01:57 PM
The draft lottery is the first 14 picks. It's the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs in a lottery for the top pick.

bdmiller7
10-28-2018, 02:00 PM
I don't know why we're talking about Timme and Duke. They weren't in his final 10 he announced or in the 5 schools he visited.

White lightning
10-28-2018, 02:11 PM
I guess Chase Jeter is a great example of this. Goes to Duke and has a small injury. Ends up transferring to get playing time. Kyle Wiltjer left Kentucky knowing his playing time was only going to go down with the new McDonald's AA showing up. I know he wasn't a " lottery" player but is Timme? Playing for Gonzaga he could be. Maybe not playing for Duke or another power 5 school with limited playing time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
10-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
Following Following @jakeweingarten
More
Spoke with 2019 five-star Drew Timme today, tells me he has no more visits planned prior to his November 14th announcement.

Deciding between Illinois, Gonzaga, Texas A&M, Alabama, and Arizona.

maynard g krebs
10-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Norvel would need a protection order in the NBA....they would run right over him

SI draft board CEO linked has Norvell as #33 prospect. In the range of guys like Nova's Hart or Brunson, or Oregon's Brooks or Dorsey, to name a few I'm familiar with. I'm gonna assume you're using more than a bit of hyperbole in your post. If Norvell's knee stays healthy and he can tighten up his shot selection, I think he plays. He can shoot 3's, finish at the rim, and is clutch and an underrated passer. Defense is probably why he's not ranked higher.

What did he have v Ohio State, 28? That team had athletes.

bartruff1
10-28-2018, 03:13 PM
SI draft board CEO linked has Norvell as #33 prospect. In the range of guys like Nova's Hart or Brunson, or Oregon's Brooks or Dorsey, to name a few I'm familiar with. I'm gonna assume you're using more than a bit of hyperbole in your post. If Norvell's knee stays healthy and he can tighten up his shot selection, I think he plays. He can shoot 3's, finish at the rim, and is clutch and an underrated passer. Defense is probably why he's not ranked higher.

What did he have v Ohio State, 28? That team had athletes.

You bet they did and he had a hell of a game against them and a good tournament …..it is just my opinion that he is not a NBA player....he will make millions playing basketball in Europe... I have been wrong before....we shall see

As Mile pointed out in post #125, there are a lot one and done players that have yet to play and even if Norvell is taken in the 30's ...I suspect a high percentage of previous picks in that range did not make it in the NBA....that is a huge step up...

JPtheBeasta
10-28-2018, 03:17 PM
I don't know why we're talking about Timme and Duke. They weren't in his final 10 he announced or in the 5 schools he visited.

I think it just became the example in a discussion. Since he is a 5-star recruit, all of the points being made could be moot, anyhow.

Snagglezag
10-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Has Timme taken an official visit to each of his top five?

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 05:03 PM
You bet they did and he had a hell of a game against them and a good tournament …..it is just my opinion that he is not a NBA player....he will make millions playing basketball in Europe... I have been wrong before....we shall see

As Mile pointed out in post #125, there are a lot one and done players that have yet to play and even if Norvell is taken in the 30's ...I suspect a high percentage of previous picks in that range did not make it in the NBA....that is a huge step up...

I can't believe you don't realize just how good he is. He's an NBA lock.

thespywhozaggedme
10-28-2018, 05:06 PM
I think it just became the example in a discussion. Since he is a 5-star recruit, all of the points being made could be moot, anyhow.

Where is he a five star? 24/7 and ESPN have him as a high 4.

OntZags
10-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Where is he a five star? 24/7 and ESPN have him as a high 4.

Rivals has him as a 5 star. I swear we've done this before.

LongIslandZagFan
10-28-2018, 06:03 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
Following Following @jakeweingarten
More
Spoke with 2019 five-star Drew Timme today, tells me he has no more visits planned prior to his November 14th announcement.

Deciding between Illinois, Gonzaga, Texas A&M, Alabama, and Arizona.

Zona and A&M are the real competition there.

dhozagfan08
10-28-2018, 08:24 PM

I think he's too smart to get involved with AZ. I'd bet its us or A&M.

HenneZag
10-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Timme just looks and balls like he was meant to be a ZAG. Fingers crossed. We've been very successful with big men the last several years and that has to stand out.

MDABE80
10-28-2018, 10:31 PM
I think he's too smart to get involved with AZ. I'd bet its us or A&M. hope so

http://scores.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/25105562/call-records-link-arizona-sean-miller-creighton-greg-mcdermott-brian-bowen-ii-recruitment

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 07:10 AM

Actually it sounds like he didn't take his trip to AZ this weekend, so to me that puts them out of it. From everything I have read and have heard on it really sounds like it will come down to Alabama, Illinois, and Gonzaga. Illinois people are saying we are the leader, Bama only talks football this time of year, and A&M although in state really doesn't have much draw for him other than that.

webspinnre
10-29-2018, 07:23 AM
That's the first I've heard about AZ being in serious consideration. I'd been seeing A&M, AL, IL and us. I think we've got a good shot.

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 07:33 AM
That's the first I've heard about AZ being in serious consideration. I'd been seeing A&M, AL, IL and us. I think we've got a good shot.

Evan Daniels thinks it will come down to A&M and Bama, but other buzz I have heard says differently than that. Hearing we are in a great spot.

LongIslandZagFan
10-29-2018, 08:09 AM
Evan Daniels thinks it will come down to A&M and Bama, but other buzz I have heard says differently than that. Hearing we are in a great spot.

Don't get Bama over GU unless he lived in Alabama. A&M is local. JFTR... I only included AZ earlier out of the prestige level... I get that the scandal swirling around them likely kills their chances.

That being said... What I find interesting is that all of the A&M predictions are from September and earlier before his visit to KITK

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 08:17 AM
Don't get Bama over GU unless he lived in Alabama. A&M is local. JFTR... I only included AZ earlier out of the prestige level... I get that the scandal swirling around them likely kills their chances.

That being said... What I find interesting is that all of the A&M predictions are from September and earlier before his visit to KITK

I personally don't get Bama and from people closer to our program and who know Timme have a different feel than Mr. Daniels. The question was ask of Evan Daniels about our chance to land both Timme and Pavel, he said he doubted both, but thought we would land Pavel. I think we land both.

Zagceo
10-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Timme makes announcement on Nov 14th national signing day and on Nov 15th Zags play A&M....could be a bad day for A&M basketball..or not

Mr Vulture
10-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Who is Pavel?

HenneZag
10-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Who is Pavel?

Pavel Zakharov

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Timme makes announcement on Nov 14th national signing day and on Nov 15th Zags play A&M....could be a bad day for A&M basketball..or not

I have to hope it is a bad two day span to be an Aggie!

Zagceo
10-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Pavel Zakharov

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Pavel-Zakharov-at-Montverde-Academy-224969/CurrentExpertPredictions/

TexasZagFan
10-29-2018, 09:12 AM
I have to hope it is a bad two day span to be an Aggie!

Big D's teacher is an Aggie. They're already trash talking for Nov. 15th. lol

D's two uncles and numerous male cousins have educated him well in sports. I've never seen an 8 YO know so much about the finer points in several sports, mostly football and basketball, though baseball is coming on strong.

His knowledge of the Zags comes from me, of course. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
10-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Pavel Zakharov

Pavel and Drew would be a sweet tandem at the 5 for the Zags.

bdmiller7
10-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Pavel and Drew would be a sweet tandem at the 5 for the Zags.

The Montverde website has Pavel as a junior and I've seen other places that list him as a 2020 recruit. So it might not be Timme and Pavel, but rather Timme then Pavel.

TexasZagFan
10-29-2018, 10:50 AM
The Montverde website has Pavel as a junior and I've seen other places that list him as a 2020 recruit. So it might not be Timme and Pavel, but rather Timme then Pavel.

Even better IMO. 247 Sports has him listed as 2019.

A front line next year of Timme, Watson, Petrusev, and Clarke would have to rank top 10 nationally.

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Pavel can be either a 2019 or 2020 target, from all indictions Gonzaga wants him as a 2019 target and he will be a top 40 prospect in the class of 2019.

basketballzag
10-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Pavel can be either a 2019 or 2020 target, from all indictions Gonzaga wants him as a 2019 target and he will be a top 40 prospect in the class of 2019.

I'm going to go out on the ledge here and predict that Timme commits to Gonzaga.

MDABE80
10-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Everything (as of today) is pointing to the decision that'll warm your hearts;)

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Everything (as of today) is pointing to the decision that'll warm your hearts;)

If he (Timme) was to commit today I think it would be to Gonzaga.

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Inside info, you two?

TexasZagFan
10-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Inside info, you two?

I fear the exuberance of youth, or overconfidence borne of an early Happy Hour.

jazzdelmar
10-29-2018, 12:47 PM

Or a little bird chirping in their ears......

caldwellzag
10-29-2018, 12:56 PM

I wish it was Happy Hour :) Let's just say we are in a great spot for him and on the 14th we land ourselves another top 50 recruit.

jazzdelmar
10-29-2018, 12:58 PM
I wish it was Happy Hour :) Let's just say we are in a great spot for him and on the 14th we land ourselves another top 50 recruit.

So, that little bird chirping in your ears is a bird in hand? ;)

Zagdawg
10-29-2018, 01:05 PM
Had to repost this one -- solid skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TruDRJk7SDI

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2018, 01:13 PM
What happens if you let the cat out of the bag and it eats the bird?

jazzdelmar
10-29-2018, 01:17 PM
What happens if you let the cat out of the bag and it eats the bird?

Sign the cat.

TexasZagFan
10-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Sign the cat.

WWPD?

What would PETA do?

Zagceo
10-29-2018, 01:27 PM
WWPD?

What would PETA do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV6jKaKMvsY

probably blame youtube

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2018, 02:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV6jKaKMvsY

probably blame youtube

Thanks for nothing :vomit-smiley-007:

I'm note sure what's more remarkable, that someone filmed or that 7,000 people have seen it so far. I'm hearing the cat munching down on that bird through my computer speakers as I type this... I guess I was asking for it :]

Zagceo
10-29-2018, 02:52 PM
Cecil Hurt‏ @CecilHurt (https://twitter.com/CecilHurt)FollowFollow
@CecilHurt

More

The @AlabamaMBB (https://twitter.com/AlabamaMBB) staff was in Dallas to see @drewtimme2 (https://twitter.com/drewtimme2) last night after a Tip-off bbq in Tuscaloosa. Looks like Gonzaga/Alabama/Texas A&M all still working hard.

11:23 AM - 24 Oct 2018

https://twitter.com/CecilHurt/status/1055162968214851584

MDABE80
10-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Sorry Cecil...….

JAGzag
10-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Sorry Cecil...….

Let’s hope you’re right this time, old friend!

OntZags
10-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Man, ya'll gonna break my heart if your birdies aren't right lol. I had reined in my expectations on nabbing Drew but now you're giving me the belief we are the leader.

Either way, I'll be rooting for him to have a great career. He seems like a great kid and his skillset feels so protypically Gonzaga that it would be such a perfect fit. Here's hoping we get to see Drew suiting up as a Zag next season.

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Man, ya'll gonna break my heart if your birdies aren't right lol. I had reined in my expectations on nabbing Drew but now you're giving me the belief we are the leader.

Either way, I'll be rooting for him to have a great career. He seems like a great kid and his skillset feels so protypically Gonzaga that it would be such a perfect fit. Here's hoping we get to see Drew suiting up as a Zag next season.

Well said.

caldwellzag
10-30-2018, 05:43 AM

I think I need to make it clear that the little birdie (thanks jazz) that I have been hearing from said if Drew was to decide today it would be Gonzaga. It was said that the next two weeks could easily make or break his decision on where he goes. I wish him all the best no matter what, but man I hope he ends up at Gonzaga.

willandi
10-30-2018, 06:40 AM
I think I need to make it clear that the little birdie (thanks jazz) that I have been hearing from said if Drew was to decide today it would be Gonzaga. It was said that the next two weeks could easily make or break his decision on where he goes. I wish him all the best no matter what, but man I hope he ends up at Gonzaga.

While I do hope that Timme comes here, and if he goes elsewhere will still wish him well...but if he goes elsewhere, can we give him the bird?

LongIslandZagFan
10-30-2018, 07:11 AM
If Pavel is as advertised... I'd take either Timme or him... so long as we get one. Now... both... well... a man can dream, can't he?

JPtheBeasta
10-30-2018, 08:21 AM
While I do hope that Timme comes here, and if he goes elsewhere will still wish him well...but if he goes elsewhere, can we give him the bird?

Yes. Or the cat. But not both.

LongIslandZagFan
10-30-2018, 08:22 AM
Yes. Or the cat. But not both.

:roll:

caldwellzag
10-31-2018, 11:33 AM
I am really trying to get everyone's hopes up on Timme (and really hoping I don't let you all down with the hype), but we picked up another Crystal Ball for Timme today!!

MDABE80
10-31-2018, 11:41 AM
Wait till the 14th. Things will be fine.

caldwellzag
10-31-2018, 11:54 AM

I know and I agree. Just updating what the Crystal Balls are showing. Like I said the other day if he was to choose today it would be Gonzaga. I think you and I are on the same page with Timme.

Mr Vulture
10-31-2018, 12:25 PM

Fingers crossed! Come on Drew..join the family...

strikenowhere
10-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Jerry Meyer (24/7 guy) just switched his pick to the Zags...things looking good

zagsfanforlife
10-31-2018, 04:45 PM
Can someone please tell me when i can start drooling about this front court:

Clarke/Watson
Petrusev/Timme

That is LOADED!

jazzdelmar
10-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Timme is a 5 star? Mickey D?

TexasZagFan
10-31-2018, 05:31 PM

He's listed as a 4 star on 247. Another season like last year's, and he could move up higher, though I don't think he'll be a Burger Boy.

cggonzaga
10-31-2018, 08:13 PM

I don’t think so but definitely top 50 maybe 40.

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 05:36 AM
I don’t think so but definitely top 50 maybe 40.

He is a 5 star on Rivals and a fringe 5 star on 247, rated 41 on composite and 44 on their normal rating. In the last 24 hours he has picked up 3 Crystal Balls including (as mentioned) Jerry Meyers changing his. Things are looking good :)

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 05:42 AM
Can someone please tell me when i can start drooling about this front court:

Clarke/Watson
Petrusev/Timme

That is LOADED!

Add in Pavel and Martynas and wow that team is starting to look pretty special!

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-01-2018, 05:42 AM
He is a 5 star on Rivals and a fringe 5 star on 247, rated 41 on composite and 44 on their normal rating. In the last 24 hours he has picked up 3 Crystal Balls including (as mentioned) Jerry Meyers changing his. Things are looking good :)

Hoping for the best. Besides his obvious talent, what I like most about Timme is he seems to play with a real edge...tough, aggressive, hard-nosed. I’ve read somewhere same is true of Ravet. Pretty fired up about 2019 frosh!!

jazzdelmar
11-01-2018, 05:44 AM
Add in Pavel and Martynas and wow that team is starting to look pretty special!

Who's gonna dribble the ball up the court?

jazzdelmar
11-01-2018, 05:50 AM

Cald: Are you concerned about this Illini late drive?

The Illini will be in to see top-50 big man Drew Timme on Monday down in Texas -- per a source.

Decision time is just two and a half weeks away for one of the top frontcourt players in this class, as Timme is set to announce at a press conference on Nov. 14. Texas A&M and Gonzaga were in to see him last week. That means the Illini got the last visit, which is the desired position to be in more times than not. Of course, that doesn't always translate to recruiting wins. Illinois had the final visit with EJ Liddell, but the state’s Mr. Basketball ultimately chose Ohio State.

However, Timme has the potential to change everything for the Illini in this class. Standing between 6-foot-9 and 6-foot-10, Timme has supreme skill, footwork and finishing moves around the basket. He also possesses a high basketball IQ and an intense competitive streak.

He’s ‘an Underwood guy’ when you look at his skill set and the way he plays the game. That’s what drew Underwood to him when Timme played at his team camp in Stillwater during the summer of 2016. And Underwood was the first coach to offer him a scholarship.

On the flip side, Timme really likes Underwood’s system and style of play. The design of the offense -- with the spacing, tempo and where bigs get their touches -- intertwines with Timme’s strengths as a player.

Brad Underwood and his staff had Timme in town for his official visit two weekends ago. He was originally scheduled to visit Arizona the following weekend, but that visit was cancelled and he has elected to end his official visit tour.

y position, I would be able to facilitate at the top of the key and the free-throw line, which is a spot where I really like to be the most,” Timme told IlliniInquirer.com back in July. “They run a lot of back-screens, back-cuts, pick ‘n rolls, pick ‘n pops, and they’d allow me to bring the ball up, which is big too.”

“I’d kind of get a good mix of everything with their system and their style of play.“

Timme watched Illinois practice up close and personal during his visit, and it was easy to see the opportunities there for the taking -- especially with the way Ayo Dosunmu and the Illini backcourt facilitated and made shots.

The Illini really like where they’re at on the guard and wing front. They feel a big like Timme is the ‘missing piece’ to this program taking off. And it’s not hard to see why.

Timme was dominant on the AAU circuit this summer, as he averaged 17.8 points, 10 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game at Peach Jam in July. Underwood and assistant coach Jamall Walker tracked him relentlessly throughout the live periods.

Now, it’s time to see if they can close the deal.

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 06:02 AM

The Illini will be in to see top-50 big man Drew Timme on Monday down in Texas -- per a source.

Decision time is just two and a half weeks away for one of the top frontcourt players in this class, as Timme is set to announce at a press conference on Nov. 14. Texas A&M and Gonzaga were in to see him last week. That means the Illini got the last visit, which is the desired position to be in more times than not. Of course, that doesn't always translate to recruiting wins. Illinois had the final visit with EJ Liddell, but the state’s Mr. Basketball ultimately chose Ohio State.

However, Timme has the potential to change everything for the Illini in this class. Standing between 6-foot-9 and 6-foot-10, Timme has supreme skill, footwork and finishing moves around the basket. He also possesses a high basketball IQ and an intense competitive streak.

He’s ‘an Underwood guy’ when you look at his skill set and the way he plays the game. That’s what drew Underwood to him when Timme played at his team camp in Stillwater during the summer of 2016. And Underwood was the first coach to offer him a scholarship.

On the flip side, Timme really likes Underwood’s system and style of play. The design of the offense -- with the spacing, tempo and where bigs get their touches -- intertwines with Timme’s strengths as a player.

Brad Underwood and his staff had Timme in town for his official visit two weekends ago. He was originally scheduled to visit Arizona the following weekend, but that visit was cancelled and he has elected to end his official visit tour.

y position, I would be able to facilitate at the top of the key and the free-throw line, which is a spot where I really like to be the most,” Timme told IlliniInquirer.com back in July. “They run a lot of back-screens, back-cuts, pick ‘n rolls, pick ‘n pops, and they’d allow me to bring the ball up, which is big too.”

“I’d kind of get a good mix of everything with their system and their style of play.“

Timme watched Illinois practice up close and personal during his visit, and it was easy to see the opportunities there for the taking -- especially with the way Ayo Dosunmu and the Illini backcourt facilitated and made shots.

The Illini really like where they’re at on the guard and wing front. They feel a big like Timme is the ‘missing piece’ to this program taking off. And it’s not hard to see why.

Timme was dominant on the AAU circuit this summer, as he averaged 17.8 points, 10 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game at Peach Jam in July. Underwood and assistant coach Jamall Walker tracked him relentlessly throughout the live periods.

Honestly, the Illini have the longest relationship with Drew, but they do not have the success on the court. From what I have recently heard is Alabama (who up to a week ago I would have thought was our biggest competition) is running 4th, Arizona is all but out, so it's down to us, A&M, and the Illini. The most recent buzz about Drew coming to GU took place after that visit, so from what I can gather I think we are in a great spot and if I had a Crystal Ball (not my homer ball) I would put it in for us at this point in time.

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 06:03 AM
Who's gonna dribble the ball up the court?

That is the million dollar question right now, but there are a few names that are going to appear in the next month or so in the recruiting world that will help with that.

Irish_eliZAG
11-01-2018, 06:19 AM

4 Crystal ball. we are now tied with Texas A&M

jazzdelmar
11-01-2018, 06:25 AM
That is the million dollar question right now, but there are a few names that are going to appear in the next month or so in the recruiting world that will help with that.

High schoolers or transfers?

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 06:32 AM
4 Crystal ball. we are now tied with Texas A&M

I was talking with some people that have connections with the Illini about the visit on Monday and from what they told me the visit was set up by Timme to thank them for the years of recruiting him, but his decision has been made and it will not be Illinios. Him and Underwood (Illinios coach) have a very long relationship, so from what I was told it was out of respect for Underwood and his staff that they had the meeting on Monday.

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 06:33 AM
High schoolers or transfers?

High school and international.

jazzdelmar
11-01-2018, 06:35 AM
I was talking with some people that have connections with the Illini about the visit on Monday and from what they told me the visit was set up by Timme to thank them for the years of recruiting him, but his decision has been made and it will not be Illinios. Him and Underwood (Illinios coach) have a very long relationship, so from what I was told it was out of respect for Underwood and his staff that they had the meeting on Monday.

Geez, that's quite a classy thing for both parties. Speaks volumes.

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 06:39 AM
Geez, that's quite a classy thing for both parties. Speaks volumes.

When I heard that this morning my respect for Timme even more. He just seems like a GU guy.

Bouldin4Prez
11-01-2018, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the information on the process, Caldwell! I really hope we get Timme. The guy from all his videos looks like one of the most polished high school big men around the basket I have seen in a long time. He also appears to have extremely long arms, not sure what his wingspan is but just from the videos I have to assume that it's long.

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the information on the process, Caldwell! I really hope we get Timme. The guy from all his videos looks like one of the most polished high school big men around the basket I have seen in a long time. He also appears to have extremely long arms, not sure what his wingspan is but just from the videos I have to assume that it's long.

Right with you. I sure can't wait for the 14th! By this time on the 14th we should know for sure!

thespywhozaggedme
11-01-2018, 08:55 AM

I've been reading their board for a while now, they've all but given up on Timme:

https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/threads/illinois-hoops-recruiting-thread-october-2018.24604/page-72

caldwellzag
11-01-2018, 09:18 AM
I've been reading their board for a while now, they've all but given up on Timme:

https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/threads/illinois-hoops-recruiting-thread-october-2018.24604/page-72

That was a pretty sad read, man those fans have a lot to complain about 1 out of 15 OV's have signed there!!

sittingon50
11-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the link, spy.

WallaWallaZag
11-01-2018, 12:38 PM
That was a pretty sad read, man those fans have a lot to complain about 1 out of 15 OV's have signed there!!

that's a pretty sad state of things...on the other end of the spectrum, seems like getting an ov is half the battle at gonzaga...i would guess close to a 50% success rate for the kids that actually make it on campus in spokane.

thespywhozaggedme
11-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the link, spy.

you're welcome

MileHigh
11-03-2018, 06:46 AM

This is true, and I had a convo with Chauncey Billups about this about a year ago. He has watched a lot of Gonzaga games because he and Josh are close. He told me that Few is a great college coach and the way he uses his guards is great for his system in college, BUT that system isn't conducive to preparing point guards for the NBA. Not enough downhill on the pick and roll, not enough freedom in transition. The way he coaches his point guard to come around the high screen and immediately pick up the dribble without looking to attack doesnt help pg 's develop the downhill read and attack that they do in the NBA. He also commented on how there are never any dribble drive lanes for the guards because Zags O always has one of their bigs on the ball side block posting up. Zags also dont do a lot of DHO which is now huge in both college and the NBA.
As an aside, Few tried to get NWG to follow his system, buy NWG just ignored it and played the way he had always played his whole life (downhill aggressive, attacking with floaters) to the extent that Few just reluctantly accepted it because it worked. Anyone that knows NWG and his dad knows that if Few told Nigel to one thing, but Nigels dad told him to do the opposite. what Nigel would do. As a matter of fact, I think Nigel's dad should get one of those final 4 rings that the coaches and players got, because without his sage advice to Nigel, Zags might not have made it that far. lol

Zagdawg
11-03-2018, 07:47 AM
How many highly rated guards have signed with the Zags (highly rated= top 10 ranked guards)? Nigel might have done his own thing to show what he could do--but he is not playing in the NBA. Pangos is a solid guard and leading his Euro team to some solid wins--but he is not in the NBA (most say due to his lack of elite athleticism), Stockton made it for short stints in the NBA, Dickau got there as a guard here in Spokane.

Guard development vs top guard recruitment is tough --- its tough to take a #69 ranked player and turn them into a lottery pick --but it can happen--but it doesn't happen often.

Chicken or the egg dilemma --- its amazing how many top programs can take a top 10 ranked recruit and get them in the NBA -- were they going there already ---probably ---but you need to get the top 10 ranked recruit to be able to say "see what we can do".

Makes me wonder -- if Billups is that big of a friend of Josh and he "knew" that the Zags do not prepare their point guards for the NBA --why would he recommend that Josh play for the Zags---hmmmmm --I wonder.

MileHigh
11-03-2018, 07:59 AM
How many highly rated guards have signed with the Zags (highly rated= top 10 ranked guards)? Nigel might have done his own thing to show what he could do--but he is not playing in the NBA. Pangos is a solid guard and leading his Euro team to some solid wins--but he is not in the NBA (most say due to his lack of elite athleticism), Stockton made it for short stints in the NBA, Dickau got there as a guard here in Spokane.

Guard development vs top guard recruitment is tough --- its tough to take a #69 ranked player and turn them into a lottery pick --but it can happen--but it doesn't happen often.

Chicken or the egg dilemma --- its amazing how many top programs can take a top 10 ranked recruit and get them in the NBA -- were they going there already ---probably ---but you need to get the top 10 ranked recruit to be able to say "see what we can do".

Makes me wonder -- if Billups is that big of a friend of Josh and he "knew" that the Zags do not prepare their point guards for the NBA --why would he recommend that Josh play for the Zags---hmmmmm --I wonder.

CB wasnt involved in josh's recruiting decision at all, not to mention he had never paid much attention (if any) to Gonzaga prior to Josh playing there. Josh and his dad, however, were told by Few and staff that once they started recruiting higher ranked, more athletic guards, they were going to change how they played and make their offense more "guard friendly".
Ill let y'all tell me if Few has changed the offense in the last few years, because I didnt see the Pangos, Stockton, Raivio, etc era.....but what I have seen the last few years seems to be way more oriented towards bigs then guards

ZagsObserver
11-03-2018, 08:12 AM
CB wasnt involved in josh's recruiting decision at all, not to mention he had never paid much attention (if any) to Gonzaga prior to Josh playing there. Josh and his dad, however, were told by Few and staff that once they started recruiting higher ranked, more athletic guards, they were going to change how they played and make their offense more "guard friendly".
Ill let y'all tell me if Few has changed the offense in the last Few years, because I didnt see the Pangos, Stockton, Raivio, etc era.....but what I have seen the last few years seems to be way more oriented towards bigs then guards

DD had freedom. So did Blake pre-injury. Neither of them were particularly quick, but they had freedom in their own areas of expertise.

GrizZAG
11-03-2018, 08:13 AM
This is true, and I had a convo with Chauncey Billups about this about a year ago. He has watched a lot of Gonzaga games because he and Josh are close. He told me that Few is a great college coach and the way he uses his guards is great for his system in college, BUT that system isn't conducive to preparing point guards for the NBA. Not enough downhill on the pick and roll, not enough freedom in transition. The way he coaches his point guard to come around the high screen and immediately pick up the dribble without looking to attack doesnt help pg 's develop the downhill read and attack that they do in the NBA. He also commented on how there are never any dribble drive lanes for the guards because Zags O always has one of their bigs on the ball side block posting up. Zags also dont do a lot of DHO which is now huge in both college and the NBA.
As an aside, Few tried to get NWG to follow his system, buy NWG just ignored it and played the way he had always played his whole life (downhill aggressive, attacking with floaters) to the extent that Few just reluctantly accepted it because it worked. Anyone that knows NWG and his dad knows that if Few told Nigel to one thing, but Nigels dad told him to do the opposite. what Nigel would do. As a matter of fact, I think Nigel's dad should get one of those final 4 rings that the coaches and players got, because without his sage advice to Nigel, Zags might not have made it that far. lol

Insightful and after digesting all this i'd agree with CB overview. Few's system has been highly effective no doubt but I think about how tenacious the guards for SMC and BYU are at driving hard into lanes and how effective it is at times it makes me wonder if we could do more in that regard.

jazzdelmar
11-03-2018, 08:15 AM
You don’t sound pleased. Would u steer a top 10 pg to Few?

willandi
11-03-2018, 08:16 AM
It is lucky for us and for Timme that he isn't a guard...I guess.

This is a thread about Timme!

Zagdawg
11-03-2018, 08:25 AM
They call it playing to their strengths. Gonzaga has always played that way --- if we had solid guard play and weaker bigs-- they play through the guards --if there is solid bigs they get more touches.

Gonzaga was considered guard U earlier in the run due to the number solid guards we had --(Santangelo/Frahm, Dickau, Stepp, Pargo,Bell, Pangos, Bouldin, Raivio) but not top ranked elite level guards.

The best thing about being a part of a team is they work together to get the wins-- it was great to see the team get the the championship game --it was a mix of guard and big play -- you need both to be successful.

MickMick
11-03-2018, 08:37 AM
They call it playing to their strengths. Gonzaga has always played that way --- if we had solid guard play and weaker bigs-- they play through the guards --if there is solid bigs they get more touches.

Gonzaga was considered guard U earlier in the run due to the number solid guards we had --(Santangelo/Frahm, Dickau, Stepp, Pargo,Bell, Pangos, Bouldin, Raivio) but not top ranked elite level guards.

The best thing about being a part of a team is they work together to get the wins-- it was great to see the team get the the championship game --it was a mix of guard and big play -- you need both to be successful.

This is spot on. Completely spot on. Few isn't locked into anything except winning. Except for maximising strengths and minimizing weaknesses. If your two best players are power forwards, or your best game plan calls for exploiting another teams weakness in the paint, the guards are going to sacrifice some personal glory.

IowaSERE
11-03-2018, 08:44 AM
The last person on this team that I want driving hard to the basket is Josh. I have never seen so many missed layups in my life. Everyone blamed it on his shoulder. Doesn't seem to be any better off after his surgery after watching him awkwardly lay the ball in after Crandalls steal and behind the back pass.

jazzdelmar
11-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Few’s job is to win at GU, clearly he does that well. The rest is collateral. Parents, boosters, ex coaches have opinions but they are inconsequential to Few’s task. Goss was/is a borderline nba talent, whether he’s coached by Romar, Few or dad. Josh is a very good college player. Period.

mgadfly
11-03-2018, 08:56 AM
If I was Few, I'd make this argument about guards. "I've coached a McD's All-American guard for a grand total of 1 season. We won 95% of games losing the national championship in the final minute of the contest to a team with 6 McDonald's All-American's that season, basically one at every position including sixth man. And 100% of my guard McD's were drafted by the NBA (just barely)."

That's not a bad record for working with elite guards. Everything else he's accomplished with guys who were great college players, but certainly not one-and-done types or anything even close.

Zagceo
11-03-2018, 08:58 AM
He told me that Few is a great college coach and the way he uses his guards is great for his system in college, BUT that system isn't conducive to preparing point guards for the NBA. Not enough downhill on the pick and roll, not enough freedom in transition.

no doubt used against Zags in recruiting....see Brandon Williams

Whats most important to elite players? path to NBA...not winning in college...see Fultz

I could be wrong

Markburn1
11-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Timme will be a very good college player. Josh IS a very good college player.

Basing a school's development program on the number of NBA players produced is misleading. It is rare for less than elite recruits to be "developed" into an NBA caliber player. Josh was right on the fringe of being an elite recruit. His progress has been steady and measurable from a development standpoint. He has never been the best player on any Zags team he has played on. Few has played to his strengths which happens to have been bigs for most of the last few years. Nigel was the lone exception over the last five years and his presence obviously helped the Zags make their run to the National Championship game.

If one is to gauge development solely on numbers of NBA players produced, I suggest looking at which colleges have produced the most. It turns out that nearly half of NBA players matriculated (generous description) at just fourteen schools. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Arizona lead the way. It's no surprise that those schools consistently get the five star players.

I believe Timme has a legit shot at the NBA.

I also believe Few and company have developed their guards to nearly the limits of their abilities and several of them are paid pros that do very well because of it. This staff would do very well with a five star guard if they could recruit one.

One more thing. It appears to me that Few has had enough of wishing the European guards would live up to the hype and is now directing his recruiting efforts for elite guards stateside. See Boogie Ellis, Brandon Williams, etc. They haven't broken through yet, but it's coming.

jazzdelmar
11-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Solid points all, Mark.

Basing a school's development program on the number of NBA players produced is misleading. It is rare for less than elite recruits to be "developed" into an NBA caliber player. Josh was right on the fringe of being an elite recruit. His progress has been steady and measurable from a development standpoint. He has never been the best player on any Zags team he has played on. Few has played to his strengths which happens to have been bigs for most of the last few years. Nigel was the lone exception over the last five years and his presence obviously helped the Zags make their run to the National Championship game.

If one is to gauge development solely on numbers of NBA players produced, I suggest looking at which colleges have produced the most. It turns out that nearly half of NBA players matriculated (generous description) at just fourteen schools. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Arizona lead the way. It's no surprise that those schools consistently get the five star players.

I also believe Few and company have developed their guards to nearly the limits of their abilities and several of them are paid pros that do very well because of it. This staff would do very well with a five star guard if they could recruit one.

One more thing. It appears to me that Few has had enough of wishing the European guards would live up to the hype and is now directing his recruiting efforts for elite guards stateside. See Boogie Ellis, Brandon Williams, etc. They haven't broken through yet, but it's coming.

WallaWallaZag
11-03-2018, 09:53 AM

dominick harris

MDABE80
11-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Good post Mark. Thoughtful and well stated.

Irish_eliZAG
11-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Back on topic. We apparently got 5 crystal ball and now lead at 45%

thespywhozaggedme
11-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Domimic Harris is a "breakthrough", no?

thespywhozaggedme
11-03-2018, 11:07 AM
dominick harris

I posted mine without seeing yours. Great minds think a like.

Markburn1
11-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Domimic Harris is a "breakthrough", no?

What century will he be a part of the team? Haha. Just kidding.

To be serious though, I never liked to count my chickens before they hatched. It's a long way to signing day.

zagsfanforlife
11-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Few’s job is to win at GU, clearly he does that well. The rest is collateral. Parents, boosters, ex coaches have opinions but they are inconsequential to Few’s task. Goss was/is a borderline nba talent, whether he’s coached by Romar, Few or dad. Josh is a very good college player. Period.

EXACTLY... Maybe NWG and JP are just very good college guards and not NBA players? I think it is pretty silly to put the blame on Few as if he didnt prepare them for the NBA. If you are good enough to make the NBA, you will make the NBA. Will you get drafted as high? Maybe not if the coach didnt "tailor" the system towards that particular player. But one way or another, if you are good enough, you will make it.

NWG-- couldnt shoot well enough, wasnt quick enough.

JP--- Barely can dunk.. not athletic or quick enough.

Pargo-- Couldnt shoot well enough, wasnt a great enough passer.

Raivio-- way too little.

Should i go on?

All those guys were very good college players whose names will forever be in GU lore. There is nothing wrong with that and all will make more money then i will ever make playing overseas.

There are just over 400 NBA players who will be on NBA rosters next year. These are the 400 best players in the entire world of BILLIONS!! To be an NBA player you have to be the best of the best, and while these guys are all GU Legends.. they all fall a tad short in the needed checklist boxes. Not Coach Few's fault.

Zagceo
11-03-2018, 12:00 PM
EXACTLY... Maybe NWG and JP are just very good college guards and not NBA players? I think it is pretty silly to put the blame on Few as if he didnt prepare them for the NBA. If you are good enough to make the NBA, you will make the NBA. Will you get drafted as high? Maybe not if the coach didnt "tailor" the system towards that particular player. But one way or another, if you are good enough, you will make it.

NWG-- couldnt shoot well enough, wasnt quick enough.

JP--- Barely can dunk.. not athletic or quick enough.

Pargo-- Couldnt shoot well enough, wasnt a great enough passer.

Raivio-- way too little.

Should i go on?

All those guys were very good college players whose names will forever be in GU lore. There is nothing wrong with that and all will make more money then i will ever make playing overseas.

Example A....name starting duo from Lehigh and Weber State in NBA?

zagsfanforlife
11-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Lillard and McCollum. Good point

caldwellzag
11-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Good read on Timme as his decision nears.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/elite-14-five-star-drew-timme-goes-in-depth-about-his-recruitment

Mr Vulture
11-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Good read on Timme as his decision nears.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/elite-14-five-star-drew-timme-goes-in-depth-about-his-recruitment

Reading this still makes me still think that it's Texas A&M followed by Gonzaga. I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a Zag.

Zagceo
11-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Reading this still makes me still think that it's Texas A&M followed by Gonzaga. I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a Zag.

I've always favored A&M because of location. Notre Dame couldn't get Kispert outta WA...hope both of us are wrong

BobZag
11-05-2018, 09:19 AM

Few was going to offer Lillard but Leon Rice convinced him Goodson was the way to go.

23dpg
11-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Few was going to offer Lillard but Leon Rice convinced him Goodson was the way to go.

WHAT?!?:argh:

Zagceo
11-05-2018, 09:24 AM

Leon has a nose for ball players....football

thespywhozaggedme
11-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Don't say that. Ugh!

MontanaCoyote
11-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Same here. Staying home is pretty enticing to boot. Looks like a quick Karno to me. Didn’t see any shot deeper than about 10 feet. At 6’ 10” he’d have to have a 3 ball to = Tillie. Maybe he does, but the video is pretty much post play. He’d be a darn good get regardless.

willandi
11-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Same here. Staying home is pretty enticing to boot. Looks like a quick Karno to me. Didn’t see any shot deeper than about 10 feet. At 6’ 10” he’d have to have a 3 ball to = Tillie. Maybe he does, but the video is pretty much post play. He’d be a darn good get regardless.

...because Karno was such a bust as a true Center?

I would love a true center to go with the incoming players.

DixieZag
11-05-2018, 10:41 AM
This guy just so obviously has "zag" written all over him.

Sure hope he sees it the same. He literally could not go wrong here in so many ways. Right on to the NBA. Call Collins.

He's as natural a recruit for us as ...anyone. If he were from Paris instead of Texas, he'd be signed already.

MDABE80
11-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Sure hope he sees it the same. He literally could not go wrong here in so many ways. Right on to the NBA. Call Collins.

He's as natural a recruit for us as ...anyone. If he were from Paris instead of Texas, he'd be signed already.

Agreed. Timme has a motor rarely seen. ALWAYS busy .

mgadfly
11-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Agreed. Timme has a motor rarely seen. ALWAYS busy .

His energy makes me think more of Sabonis than Collins (not that Collins didn't bring good energy). And he seems very physical and assertive like Sabonis. After watching the videos and picturing him in GU's secondary fast break (getting the big the ball at the basket) then in the high-low post continuity offense, wow, he'd be great in it.

But reading the interview, they talk about football or other non-basketball quality of life things, nearly as much as basketball. It makes me think that if he wants to make a sacrifice and focus on hoops and going pro for a season, he'll join the family. If it really is about balance and watching football, I don't know how we compete with the other schools.

TexasZagFan
11-05-2018, 01:11 PM

FYI, there’s a small town by the name of Paris in NE Texas. Lol

MontanaCoyote
11-05-2018, 05:16 PM
...because Karno was such a bust as a true Center?

I would love a true center to go with the incoming players.

1. No,No! Love Karno. He and Elgin Baylor my two all time favorites. Just saying this kid looks a bit quicker. Long, long way to go to be a Karno, if ever. I posted it time and time again in Shemmick’s last season, “No other player in D-1 is as valuable to his team in so many different ways than Przemek.” He was truly one of a kind. “Gonzaga doesn’t get to Phoenix without him,” CBS Sports.

2. Agree. Miss the true center and would love to see inside and inside/outside game we had with Shem. If this kid decides Gonzaga is where he wants to be, maybe we will.

cjm720
11-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Football seems to be a recurring theme in some of his conversations...not feeling as good about this for us now.