PDA

View Full Version : One that (apparently) got away

SLOZag
10-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Yet more evidence (if the following quote is accurate) that Tommy was right when he said the fans know only 5% of what is going on in recruiting (or something like that, anyway):

"The NBA has long expanded its reach worldwide, but it was only two years ago that it formed a central academy to find the top international players who might otherwise have gone unnoticed. And so it was that Chris Ebersole, who heads NBA Elite Basketball Business Operations, was at Basketball Without Borders in Angola in 2016 and the Luc Mbah a Moute Basketball Camp in Cameroon that he saw Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua for the first time.

“He was already a physical specimen when we found him,” Ebersole said. This was the type of player the NBA Global Academy was created to find and develop, someone with undeveloped but clear talent who with the right coaching could evolve into a difference maker. And so Tchatchoua soon found himself heading to Australia, where the best of the best compete. Three satellite camps are located in China and one each in India, Mexico and Senegal.

From Australia, Tchatchoua — who stands a rock solid 6 feet 8 inches and 230 pounds — worked his way into becoming one of the first two academy products to sign with American schools. He committed to UNLV in May, choosing the Rebels over Gonzaga and St. John’s. The other academy graduate, Argentina’s Francisco Caffaro, signed with Virginia."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/jonathan-tchamwa-tchatchoua-finds-his-way-to-unlv/

I don't recall Tchatchoua's name ever being mentioned here. The article is a good read about a young man who could open a lot of eyes as he progresses.

JPtheBeasta
10-09-2018, 08:30 PM
I have a reason to peek in on a UNLV game now.

MDABE80
10-09-2018, 09:05 PM
I can't anyone going to UNLV over Gonzaga. Makes me wonder if we were really in his recruitment.

OZZY
10-09-2018, 09:50 PM
I can't anyone going to UNLV over Gonzaga. Makes me wonder if we were really in his recruitment.

Perhaps a recruit with different priorities....

SLOZag
10-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Perhaps a recruit with different priorities....

"Tchatchoua is one of five Africans on UNLV’s roster, and he said that was a key reason he chose the Rebels. “I really feel at home right now,” he said."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/jonathan-tchamwa-tchatchoua-finds-his-way-to-unlv/

exclusivelee
10-10-2018, 02:38 PM
I know Gonzaga was recruiting Francisco Caffaro