View Full Version : Jacob Larsen No Longer On Team

Zagdawg
10-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Darnay Tripp

Verified account

@DarnayTripp
Follow Follow @DarnayTripp
More
Jacob Larsen is no longer with the Gonzaga basketball team. The 6-11 center redshirted with a knee injury, then saw limited minutes last season. We will ask Mark Few about him after Kraziness in the Kennel.

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
Following Following @SRJimm
More
Told Larsen has decided to just be a student and is still on scholarship at Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
10-06-2018, 02:35 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Zagdawg
10-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Jacob Larsen leaves Gonzaga basketball team to focus on school

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/06/jacob-larsen-leaves-gonzaga-basketball-team-to-foc/

zagsfanforlife
10-06-2018, 02:39 PM
People will dismiss it as not a big loss. I completely disagree.

He was the only true size you had on this team, and i guarantee you we will run into a team in the tourney where that size is needed. Clarke and Tillie and Petrusev are not big enough to bang around with Reid Travis, Jordan Brown, Trey Porter, Austin Wiley, Kelena Azuibuke.. all guys you could run into in the NCAA tourney. Not saying Larsen would have started.. but against those teams you need size like his to at least make things more difficult and wear them out a bit.

webspinnre
10-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Wow, surprising. Love that he wants to focus on school though.

Zagceo
10-06-2018, 02:51 PM
pulled from the roster today...i looked at it yesterday.

maybe the kid just lost interest. it happens

can't test for desire when recruiting

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-06-2018, 02:59 PM
That is a tough loss for this team’s depth.

I rated Larsen as a Sam Dower-level player and foresaw him having a similar career arc with the program. I envisioned him serving as a skilled and reliable reserve big man for three years. I expected him to finally get starter minutes and potential all-conference honors as a senior.

I wish him well.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Hope all of us can respect Larsen’s decision and him by not speculating as to his reasons. Young man far from home and family. I hope he thrives as a student at Gonzaga and is happy and successful in everything he does.

doctorzag
10-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Hope all of us can respect Larsen’s decision and him by not speculating as to his reasons. Young man far from home and family. I hope he thrives as a student at Gonzaga and is happy and successful in everything he does.

So nobody on the board can speculate why a player quit the team because you think its disrespectful? Gimme a break.

MDABE80
10-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Probably just his knee. Glad he's on scholarship still. Shows class.

IowaSERE
10-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Maybe the starting 5 for both of todays teams were announced and he wasnt in the top 10 and saw the writing on the wall.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-06-2018, 04:07 PM
So nobody on the board can speculate why a player quit the team because you think its disrespectful? Gimme a break.

I didn’t say nobody can, just suggesting perhaps what’s best is not to. Just my opinion. No need to listen to me or overreact doc.

West Side Lady
10-06-2018, 04:30 PM
WTF! :(

Maybe the starting 5 for both of todays teams were announced and he wasnt in the top 10 and saw the writing on the wall.

My first thought too. What little pre-season coverage there has been seemed to hint that Petrusev had the edge.

I'm sad to hear this. Wishing all the best to Jacob.

Zagger
10-06-2018, 04:34 PM
The high quality guys GU gets I’m sure the decision to leave the team was the best for Jacob and ultimately best for the team. I hope Jacob does end up with a GU degree and we see him in attendance near the team during home games. Good luck young man!

NEC26
10-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Not transferring, so I would have to believe its health related or just wasn't what he wanted to pursue anymore.

NotoriousZ
10-06-2018, 04:35 PM

He was the only true size you had on this team, and i guarantee you we will run into a team in the tourney where that size is needed. Clarke and Tillie and Petrusev are not big enough to bang around with Reid Travis, Jordan Brown, Trey Porter, Austin Wiley, Kelena Azuibuke.. all guys you could run into in the NCAA tourney. Not saying Larsen would have started.. but against those teams you need size like his to at least make things more difficult and wear them out a bit.

While I donít want to diminish Larsonís importance to the team, I will tell you right now that we have the size and strength to match up with any team at the college level. Yeah, it was just a scrimmage today, but Clarke looks like a defensive player of the year candidate. Rui and Tillie are no slouches either.

Hoopaholic
10-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Wish him well

I will miss him and the team will too

KStyles
10-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Hope all of us can respect Larsenís decision and him by not speculating as to his reasons. Young man far from home and family. I hope he thrives as a student at Gonzaga and is happy and successful in everything he does.

Is your second sentence not speculating reasons?

JPtheBeasta
10-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Bummer.

That’s an understatement. I wish him well. He was kind of an underdog for minutes and I was pulling for him. He seems like a good guy.

GoZags
10-06-2018, 05:27 PM
pulled from the roster today...i looked at it yesterday.

maybe the kid just lost interest. it happens

can't test for desire when recruiting

Your speculation is far off the mark ... and this didn't "just happen" yesterday. Let's see if coach Few says something after KiK

Zagceo
10-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Your speculation is far off the mark ... and this didn't "just happen" yesterday. Let's see if coach Few says something after KiK

do tell

zagsfanforlife
10-06-2018, 05:33 PM
While I donít want to diminish Larsonís importance to the team, I will tell you right now that we have the size and strength to match up with any team at the college level. Yeah, it was just a scrimmage today, but Clarke looks like a defensive player of the year candidate. Rui and Tillie are no slouches either.

Agree to disagree. Clarke is about 6í8.. Tillie way too thing to guard the bruisers inside.

bartruff1
10-06-2018, 05:46 PM
You can go to school all your life but you can only perform at your potential as a athlete for about 15 years.....I hope this is the best decision for him....good luck Jacob...... in whatever path you choose.....I am sad to see you go...

thespywhozaggedme
10-06-2018, 06:29 PM
I guess this is why we started recruiting the Russian center at Monteverde

jazzdelmar
10-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Let’s just wish the young man well. More to life than hoops, GU, even education. God bless him.

thespywhozaggedme
10-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Let’s just wish the young man well. More to life than hoops, GU, even education. God bless him.

Good post.

Zagdawg
10-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Jackson Frank

@jackfrank_jjf
33m33 minutes ago
More
Mark Few on Jacob Larsen's absence from the team: “He’s got some things going on personally that he needs to address. We’re 100 percent behind him, everybody is, helping him every which way he can.”

Jackson Frank

@jackfrank_jjf
32m32 minutes ago
More
Zach Norvell Jr. on the situation: “I respect him so much. It’s a tough situation. He’s still our brother. We always talk to him. He’s still in our group chat. He can always hit us up whenever. Best wishes to him.”

Jackson Frank

@jackfrank_jjf
Follow Follow @jackfrank_jjf
More
Norvell continued, saying if Larsen wants to return the team, which doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility, he'd be welcomed : “He’s a big part of our program ... He’s a good guy to have in the locker room, always have a great spirit. You got to love Jacob.”

PfIdZag
10-06-2018, 07:14 PM
do tell

He wasn't included in the posters or programs from Kraziness today, that means it's been in motion for awhile and just announced today when it was unavoidable.

Zagceo
10-06-2018, 07:21 PM
He wasn't included in the posters or programs from Kraziness today, that means it's been in motion for awhile and just announced today when it was unavoidable.

Sounds like Snacks left the door open if he decides to return.

RenoZag
10-06-2018, 07:48 PM
He lost his older brother Rasmus (at the age of 20) three short years ago. . . I can only imagine the angst and pain he and his family have been through. I wish him well and pray the changes he's making are what's best for him and his overall well-being.

GrizZAG
10-06-2018, 08:12 PM
I'm hopeful that this is a temporary hiatus for Jacob and he returns to play down the road. He showed the potential to be really good in my view.

MileHigh
10-06-2018, 09:00 PM
when scholarship kids quit/transfer it is one of four reasons:

1. Playing time
2. Grades
3. Injuries
4. Off court personal issues

I am sure it is one of (or a combination of) the above for Larsen

mgadfly
10-06-2018, 10:30 PM

1. Playing time
2. Grades
3. Injuries

I quit a college sport between seasons and was a starter the season prior. I was nearly a 4.0 student. I was not injured. There were no significant off field issues (we all have issues). I think sometimes kids (young adults) just have other interests. I had to listen to a lot garbage about wasting my God given talents (for years), but I was able to study abroad, be more active in academic extracurricular activities that prepared me for law school, and it is a decision I donít regret at all. Plus it allowed me to play more basketball recreationally.

KStyles
10-07-2018, 12:06 AM

1. Playing time
2. Grades
3. Injuries

5. They'd rather just be a student

Athletics are a big commitment, and it's not for everyone.

TheZagPhish
10-07-2018, 12:10 AM
Best to Jacob.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-07-2018, 03:12 AM

Yup. A handful of my friends at GU gave up student athletics for that reason.

zag67
10-07-2018, 05:11 AM
Good luck and hope all works out on all sides. You will always be a Zag.

raise the zag
10-07-2018, 05:44 AM

My biggest concern this season -- the very moment we face a 250+lb center, we could struggle defensively or rack up fouls or forced to always double.

The best teams like Kentucky and Kansas have some muscle bound dudes down there.

Keep in mind, our heaviest, HEAVIEST "post" is Rui at 230lbs.

Some seem to forget:

Tillie 220lbs
Clarke 215lbs
Rui 230lbs
Petrusev 215 lbs

Even BYU's center, the incoming Top 50 frosh is 260lbs of raw muscle.

This will be an issue vs some teams, at least defensively. Less so on the board but no chance defending one on one

NotoriousZ
10-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Itís nice to have an anchor in the middle, but the agility and athleticism of Clarke and Rui will be a force of its own.

In general, your typical 260-300 lb center will not move very fast by comparison. I guess we will have to wait and see when we come across an athletic big man and climb that mountain when we get there.

Best wishes, Jacob.

DixieZag
10-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Letís just wish the young man well. More to life than hoops, GU, even education. God bless him.

Well done, Jazz.

West Side Lady
10-07-2018, 08:02 AM
“He’s not with our team right now,” coach Mark Few said following Kraziness in the Kennel on Saturday. “He has some things going on personally that he needs to address. We’re 100 percent behind him, helping him every which way we can.

“Hopefully, it’ll end up being a great story.”

MileHigh
10-07-2018, 08:27 AM

note that I posted "scholarship" players only quit for those reasons. Specifically guys on a 65k full ride (not to mention the stipend that gets them another 7-8 grand a year) almost never quit so that they can become just students and pay their own way. Maybe a golf kid or a track kid, getting a small partial scholie might do it, but the full ride guys doing it are few and far between. I know quite a few kids that lost their love for the game, some even hated playing by the time they graduated, but they stayed on the team because it was paying for their degree and quitting was just ludicrous from a financial perspective

zagsfanforlife
10-07-2018, 08:42 AM
My biggest concern this season -- the very moment we face a 250+lb center, we could struggle defensively or rack up fouls or forced to always double.

The best teams like Kentucky and Kansas have some muscle bound dudes down there.

Some seem to forget:

Tillie 220lbs
Clarke 215lbs
Rui 230lbs
Petrusev 215 lbs

This will be an issue vs some teams, at least defensively. Less so on the board but no chance defending one on one

Exactly what I said and ďinside the kennelĒ guys thought Petrusev or Clarke were the answers. Iím with you.

MileHigh
10-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Some seem to forget:

Tillie 220lbs
Clarke 215lbs
Rui 230lbs
Petrusev 215 lbs

The other side of the coin is that the other teams will have match-up problems with the Zags because their 250 pound "true centers" will not be able to guard the much quicker Zag bigs. The era of the real big post guy is over, most teams are going to small ball and are pretty successful. As long as you have bigs that work hard boxing out and have some jumping abilty you can play with smaller bigs every single night in the NCAA and not be at a considerable disadvantage.
It will change how Few likes to get post touches every possession, but with the perimeter guys he has this year my guess is that he was going to do that anyway

amaronizag
10-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Everyone wants a BIG in the post, but there aren't enough good ones to go around so teams make due with what they have. Give me some Karno any day. He made small ball pay. It took 2-3 small ball guys to guard him and GU made them pay for the double and triple teams. Size is my ONLY worry about this season.

scott257
10-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Really just wish him the best. Dealing with the loss of a brother and a fairly significant injury can definitely take a toll. Gonzaga is good enough to support him as he is working through whatever he has to navigate. The class this program shows year after year just amazes me when compared to all of the other bad news that comes out elsewhere in other programs.

zagzilla
10-07-2018, 10:40 AM
I thought it sounded like Few was alluding to some incident that happened. Some things he "NEEDS" to address.

"Hopefully it will turn out to be a great story." Suggests some kind of situation he would have had to overcome to return to the team?

Off the court issue that forced him off the team but leaves the door open a crack for a return if he can straighten it out? Significant that he is still on scholarship and in school.

Wishing him the best.

ZZ

amaronizag
10-07-2018, 11:00 AM
I hope the "issue" in question does not involve the health of himself or a close family member. A serious family health issue could require travel and extended absence since he is living so far from home. The issue could be almost anything. We should respect his privacy and move on while hoping he is able to return to the team soon. God speed Jacob.

GoZags
10-07-2018, 11:04 AM
Hj
I thought it sounded like Few was alluding to some incident that happened. Some things he "NEEDS" to address.

"Hopefully it will turn out to be a great story." Suggests some kind of situation he would have had to overcome to return to the team?

Off the court issue that forced him off the team but leaves the door open a crack for a return if he can straighten it out? Significant that he is still on scholarship and in school.

Wishing him the best.

ZZ

I don’t think so. When I first heard about this shortly after classes began there wasn’t a “hint” of Jacob being in trouble (or being involved in an “incident”). I flat out love the support he is getting from the school, his coaches and his teammates. I would not be surprised if he is back on the floor at some point. Like many others on this thread, I wish the kid nothing but the best.

Bogozags
10-07-2018, 11:50 AM
I hope Jacob is able to persevere and in a positive way, work through any issues he has! He is a super kid and has already gone through so much so early in his life...I wish him the very best in all he does now and in the future!

sittingon50
10-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Per a source of mine ( who is a pretty good one) it is a personal matter & not due to any issues with school, basketball, his teammates or his physical health.

Once a Zag Jacob, always a Zag. Good Luck.

JPtheBeasta
10-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Per a source of mine ( who is a pretty good one) it is a personal matter & not due to any issues with school, basketball, his teammates or his physical health.

Once a Zag Jacob, always a Zag. Good Luck.

Thanks. It will be nice not to have to speculate and focus energies on something else. Most importantly, it looks like his teammates and his coaches have his back. I hope he’s doing alright.

webspinnre
10-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Jackson Frank

@jackfrank_jjf
33m33 minutes ago
More
Mark Few on Jacob Larsen's absence from the team: ďHeís got some things going on personally that he needs to address. Weíre 100 percent behind him, everybody is, helping him every which way he can.Ē

Jackson Frank

@jackfrank_jjf
32m32 minutes ago
More
Zach Norvell Jr. on the situation: ďI respect him so much. Itís a tough situation. Heís still our brother. We always talk to him. Heís still in our group chat. He can always hit us up whenever. Best wishes to him.Ē

Jackson Frank

@jackfrank_jjf
Follow Follow @jackfrank_jjf
More
Norvell continued, saying if Larsen wants to return the team, which doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility, he'd be welcomed : ďHeís a big part of our program ... Heís a good guy to have in the locker room, always have a great spirit. You got to love Jacob.Ē

What great quotes. Love the team family, and love that it sounds like Norvell is stepping up as a leader.

bballbeachbum
10-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Everyone wants a BIG in the post, but there aren't enough good ones to go around so teams make due with what they have. Give me some Karno any day. He made small ball pay. It took 2-3 small ball guys to guard him and GU made them pay for the double and triple teams. Size is my ONLY worry about this season.

this for sure.

Anyway, on making an opposing big matchup on our guys, it's what other teams tried to do with Karno, pull him away from the hoop, put him in pick and roll D, other ideas too. As GU fans we've all seen it a lot over the recent past years from other teams attacking the Zags. Burton from Iowa State was a guy who really pulled it off imo, playing as a center from the top of the key, making 3s and taking Karno off the bounce, and SMC to some extent making Karno defend the pick and roll.

and the Zags got to the Final with TWO giants, not just one, Karno and Zach

anyway, didn't see Jacob as a big minute guy this year

good luck Jacob, hopefully happy!!

CDC84
10-11-2018, 10:56 AM

This is the case, and because of it, we are going to need to close this thread out of respect. Even though there are some posts here not pertaining to Jacob specifically. Carry on in the recruiting threads.