PDA

View Full Version : Zags in at #2 for Toughest Non-Conf Schedule

Zagdawg
10-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Which Teams Have the Toughest 2018–19 Non-Conference Schedules?

2. GONZAGA
Notable games: at North Carolina, Maui Invitational, vs. Tennessee*, vs. Washington, vs. Texas A&M, at Creighton

The Zags are running the gantlet with this loaded non-conference slate, which includes a particularly tough two-week stretch to start December. In addition to two true road games, one of which is in Chapel Hill, they get a fellow preseason Final Four contender in Tennessee at a neutral site and are part of the stacked Maui Invitational field. In Maui, Gonzaga will open with Illinois and likely play the winner of Arizona/Iowa State before potentially meeting Duke or Auburn in the championship.

Should the Bulldogs meet Duke in Maui, they’d face what are expected to be three preseason top-10 teams, with none of those games coming at home. And because of the nature of the WCC, Gonzaga has more pressure on it to earn marquee wins in non-conference play than any of the teams it’s likely to potentially battle for a No. 1 seed in March.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/04/toughest-nonconference-schedules-kansas-gonzaga-unc?utm_source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=si-ncaabb

bartruff1
10-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Great...I would much rather see them play a very tough schedule and lose a few games (or more) than play the cupcakes....

ZagsGoZags
10-04-2018, 02:02 PM
so glad we are the opposite of Mr. Bennett in Moraga, CA

DixieZag
10-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Great...I would much rather see them play a very tough schedule and lose a few games (or more) than play the cupcakes....

Me, too.

I've also always thought that the need to win some of those early games hinders Few's ability to let young guys play through pain and develop. We need to win those in a way that UNC doesn't. They will play Duke, UVA and Notre Dame (among others) for big wins in conference.

So, those guys can let young players learn on the fly. They know a 5 point loss early is almost meaningless if they play a good team, and then win big ones in conference.

ZagMan in Philly
10-04-2018, 05:55 PM
@UNC that will carry a lot of weight if they can come in there and out with a Win. I need to make a road trip.

229SintoZag
10-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Well this year we get to see both ....

maynard g krebs
10-05-2018, 11:15 AM
so glad we are the opposite of Mr. Bennett in Moraga, CA

Lord, I thank thee that I am not like other men?