PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Coverage on The Athletic

Zags_Fanatic
10-01-2018, 08:59 AM
The Athletic just announced that they have hired Gonzaga Senior and Gonzaga Bulletin editor Kendra Lawson to cover the Zags. (Congrats Kendra!) I've been so impressed with everything they do and the writers they have on staff. If you have been considering paying for the subscription it has always been well worth it for sports junkies but seeing this level of support for Gonzaga makes it even more appealing to GU fans.

jazzdelmar
10-01-2018, 01:27 PM
In their words...

Kendra Andrews (@Kendra__Andrews) will contribute Gonzaga coverage. Andrews is an Oakland native and senior at Gonzaga who currently serves as the managing editor of the student-run newspaper, The Bulletin. She has also interned at the Salt Lake Tribune and Washington Post.

Pleasant Peninsula
10-01-2018, 01:38 PM
I'm unsure how The Athletic's business model will fare moving forward, but as of right now, they are producing some of the best sports journalism in the world, and have really invested heavily in poaching some of the best talent in the business. And as this move indicates, they are expanding and grabbing up the next generation of top-notch sportswriters, as well.

The Athletic and the New York Times are the only two content providers that I pay to see, and without getting into particulars, the former has been a much better investment than the later lately.

webspinnre
10-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Like you said, I'm not sure if their business model will hold out, but in the meantime, they've got the best sportswriters in the country. I haven't paid for content in a long time, but I've been seriously considering picking up the Athletic.

DixieZag
10-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Such a huge opportunity for a young writer.

Well done.

Akzag
10-01-2018, 09:13 PM
I was hoping they'd pick up Withers to cover the Zags. But congrats to Kendra, and yes, because they've committed, I'm committing and purchasing a subscription.

RenoZag
10-26-2018, 05:37 AM
Good feature article on Brandon:

https://theathletic.com/611353/2018/10/26/his-shot-overhauled-brandon-clarke-is-the-latest-transfer-looking-to-resurrect-his-game-at-gonzaga/?source=dailyemail

liked the closing paragraph, where Clarke offers:

“I feel like winning here is a standard, really,” Clarke says. “And that’s something I didn’t have when I was at San Jose. Having that feeling of winning has always been something different for me. I’m looking to bring the heart every night, playing my hardest. I’m looking forward to making an impact on a winning team.”

Norwester
10-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Good feature article on Brandon:

https://theathletic.com/611353/2018/10/26/his-shot-overhauled-brandon-clarke-is-the-latest-transfer-looking-to-resurrect-his-game-at-gonzaga/?source=dailyemail

liked the closing paragraph, where Clarke offers:

Give credit where credit is due. The Athletic piece on Brandon was written by Kendra Andrews, a GU senior and the current managing editor of the Gonzaga Bulletin. She's had some other noteworthy accomplishments:

https://www.gonzaga.edu/news-events/stories/2018/1/22/kendra-andrews-lands-washington-post-internships

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-26-2018, 12:58 PM
I just signed on for The Athletic and read the piece on Josh Perkins. Fantastic writing full of details I never knew about JP. Makes me like him even more.

kitzbuel
10-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Give credit where credit is due. The Athletic piece on Brandon was written by Kendra Andrews, a GU senior and the current managing editor of the Gonzaga Bulletin. She's had some other noteworthy accomplishments:

https://www.gonzaga.edu/news-events/stories/2018/1/22/kendra-andrews-lands-washington-post-internships
A fantastic opportunity. She will do well.

RenoZag
10-26-2018, 02:48 PM

Kendra is acknowledged in the OP, but you at least got her last name right. . .

RenoZag
11-03-2018, 12:16 PM
. . .was posted at The Athletic yesterday.

https://theathletic.com/628002/2018/11/02/cut-the-nets-gonzaga-has-size-versatility-and-a-seat-at-the-big-boy-table/?source=weeklyemail

Perkins finally underwent surgery in April and was fully recovered by the time practice began. Heading into his final season, he is prepared to assert his ownership over the team. “I come and play hard every single possession, every play, and I think my teammates feed off that,” he says. Asked what he knows now about running a team that he didn’t know as a freshman, Perkins replies, “Really just how to win and what it takes to win. It’s not necessarily what’s on the stat sheet but the little things – choking down on defense, taking charges, being coachable. Those intangibles don’t seem important but really make all the difference in the world.”

That is the type of understanding that comes over time, and it is passed down season to season, player to player. “We’ve got a lot of guys who have been in a lot of big games,” Few says. We are well past the time when we wondered whether Gonzaga could hang with the big boys in March. Now that the Zags are one of the big boys, perhaps it’s time to ask: How many teams will be able to hang with them?

KStyles
11-03-2018, 01:09 PM
I posted this in another Athletic thread, but I'll repost here:

You can still sign up/renew for $30/yr.

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan_id=51&pc=fv450&campaign_type=final-vortex&campaign_id=fv4day0&curr=USD

Larryzag
11-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Signed up. Love it so far.....

Zagger
11-04-2018, 04:22 AM
I posted this in another Athletic thread, but I'll repost here:

Ya got me too - just signed up. I love good writing. The Zags will be offering up lots to write about this season :)
Congrats Kendra!

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 04:28 AM
The Athletic has figured out the Zags are a national brand and that coverage sells. Imagine what an actual streaming game can fetch?

Seth Davis:

Clearly, if Tillie is going to be sidelined, it’s better for the bad news to be delivered in late October than in mid-March. In the meantime, Gonzaga has a chance to build its depth and fortify its character in the run-up to conference play. In college basketball, we take Gonzaga’s consistent excellence for granted, the Little Engine That Could turned Freight Train No One Wants To Play. Yet there is arguably nothing like it in all of sports. Once again, Gonzaga belongs on a short list of candidates to cut the nets in Minneapolis on April 8. Here are the three top reasons why:

GoZags
11-04-2018, 05:37 AM
The Athletic has figured out the Zags are a national brand and that coverage sells. Imagine what an actual streaming game can fetch?

Seth Davis:
:

If the Zags are such a National program worthy of Seth Davis coverage, wouldn't you think he'd know a simple fact that the Zags have made the dance for 20 straight years? Not the 19 he mentioned (which happens to be the streak with Fewie at the helm).

The Zags have made 19 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and been to four consecutive Sweet 16s or better.

TexasZagFan
11-04-2018, 05:57 AM
If the Zags are such a National program worthy of Seth Davis coverage, wouldn't you think he'd know a simple fact that the Zags have made the dance for 20 straight years? Not the 19 he mentioned (which happens to be the streak with Fewie at the helm).

Tough crowd this morning, though I’ve never been a big fan of ACC/power conference apologists like Seth.

What Few and the Zags have accomplished over the past four years alone is incredible.

GoZags
11-04-2018, 07:01 AM
Tough crowd this morning, though I’ve never been a big fan of ACC/power conference apologists like Seth.

What Few and the Zags have accomplished over the past four years alone is incredible.

$49 bucks a year (that's what I was going to be charged later today had I not canceled after my one week trial). It's my belief that if Seth is going to mention a streak, he should have it right. But my comment was directed more at Jazz, who seems to be continuing to harp on the fact that he doesn't appear to think Gonzaga considers itself "National" because Root didn't pick up the Central Washington exhibition game, resulting in the exhibition game only being shown in Spokane (and not nationally). I'm hoping he'll give up harping about that at some point before Selection Sunday.

JPtheBeasta
11-04-2018, 07:06 AM
$49 bucks a year (that's what I was going to be charged later today had I not canceled after my one week trial). It's my belief that if Seth is going to mention a streak, he should have it right. But my comment was directed more at Jazz, who seems to be continuing to harp on the fact that he doesn't appear to think Gonzaga considers itself "National" because Root didn't pick up the Central Washington exhibition game, resulting in the exhibition game only being shown in Spokane (and not nationally). I'm hoping he'll give up harping about that at some point before Selection Sunday.

Sorry Jazz, but that was pretty funny.

TexasZagFan
11-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Here’s a different perspective from clap-clap-clap deep in the Heart of Texas. Texas A&M fans are so caught up in football, that the Zags game on 11/15 has not entered their consciousness. At least half of those I’ve spoken to say “who’s Gonzaga?”

Perhaps Drew Timme has heard the same, and come to the conclusion that his basketball fortunes are best served in Spokane, vs being an afterthought in College Station.

It’s become apparent to me that the Zags are a national presence with only knowledgeable college hoops fans, not with casual fans, I.e. those that enter the office pools during March Madness.

O/T, we’re in San Antonio this weekend for the State marching band finals. I recommend the Iron Cactus on the Riverwalk. Excellent margaritas and the best salsa I’ve ever eaten. Several dishes include Hatch chiles, the absolute best. Our bill (wife and I) was less than $75, including a 20+% tip.

GoZags
11-04-2018, 07:22 AM
It’s become apparent to me that the Zags are a national presence with only knowledgeable college hoops fans, not with casual fans, I.e. those that enter the office pools during March Madness.

You're right Tex. And perhaps I'm a bit snarly after all that extra sleep with this Spring forward/Fall back thing (and the fact that Mrs. GoZags left town last night which makes me feel a bit more uninhibited on the keyboard) .... but earlier this morning I took issue with a Kentucky fan who'd chimed in about Gonzaga on a UT thread ..... and had to throw in a little "Big D" shade.

https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/zags-lose-big-man-for-8-weeks-shouldnt-return-until-after-they-play-vols.297792/#post-15990299

TexasZagFan
11-04-2018, 07:25 AM
You're right Tex. And perhaps I'm a bit snarly after all that extra sleep with this Spring forward/Fall back thing (and the fact that Mrs. GoZags left town last night which makes me feel a bit more uninhibited on the keyboard) .... but earlier this morning I took issue with a Kentucky fan who'd chimed in about Gonzaga on a UT thread .....

https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/zags-lose-big-man-for-8-weeks-shouldnt-return-until-after-they-play-vols.297792/#post-15990299

Hey, I remember that picture of you and your in-laws! :lmao:

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Son of Lanny Davis, what d'u expect....

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Here’s a different perspective from clap-clap-clap deep in the Heart of Texas. Texas A&M fans are so caught up in football, that the Zags game on 11/15 has not entered their consciousness. At least half of those I’ve spoken to say “who’s Gonzaga?”

Perhaps Drew Timme has heard the same, and come to the conclusion that his basketball fortunes are best served in Spokane, vs being an afterthought in College Station.

O/T, we’re in San Antonio this weekend for the State marching band finals. I recommend the Iron Cactus on the Riverwalk. Excellent margaritas and the best salsa I’ve ever eaten. Several dishes include Hatch chiles, the absolute best. Our bill (wife and I) was less than $75, including a 20+% tip.

You're using Teg-zux as the barometer for national recognition of GU hoops? Trust me, the rep is far and wide, if not deep in the heart of.....

Zagceo
11-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Son of Lanny Davis, what d'u expect....

.......the rest of the story. )

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 07:51 AM

So, dear friend, you are in the odd position of arguing my point that GU is a national brand? How'd that happen. But in deference to your wisdom and unrelenting work on this board I am done w assailing the cable stuff. Have a good, extra hour Sunday. :clap:

Zagceo
11-04-2018, 07:51 AM
You're right Tex. And perhaps I'm a bit snarly after all that extra sleep with this Spring forward/Fall back thing (and the fact that Mrs. GoZags left town last night which makes me feel a bit more uninhibited on the keyboard) .... but earlier this morning I took issue with a Kentucky fan who'd chimed in about Gonzaga on a UT thread ..... and had to throw in a little "Big D" shade.

keep up the good fight )

thespywhozaggedme
11-04-2018, 08:13 AM

OK, I just read that and that was a beat down of epic proportion's. I almost felt bad for the Kentucky fan, you schooled him so badly, almost.

thespywhozaggedme
11-04-2018, 08:15 AM

I give jazz as much grief as the next person for always being able to find a cloud in every silver lining but in this case I agree with him. We are a national brand and I wasn't even asking for root sports just that the local station would be able to stream it on their website for us out of towners to watch on our computers. That's not too much to ask for

GoZags
11-04-2018, 08:20 AM
I give jazz as much grief as the next person for always being able to find a cloud in every silver lining but in this case I agree with him. We are a national brand and I wasn't even asking for root sports just that the local station would be able to stream it on their website for us out of towners to watch on our computers. That's not too much to ask for

Oh ... I agree completely and was looking forward to watching the GU/CWU stream myself. I agreed with Jazz when he brought it up the first time. Didn't really mind his take on the GU Admin (re this issue) when he brought it up a second time. Was mildly annoyed when it was brought up a third time. Started to tire of it the fourth, fifth and sixth time (including PM's) and was surprised it was brought up again this morning. Thus my snarky reaction.

TexasZagFan
11-04-2018, 08:22 AM
You're using Teg-zux as the barometer for national recognition of GU hoops? Trust me, the rep is far and wide, if not deep in the heart of.....

IMO, the further you get away from the West Coast, the further the Zags are removed from the national consciousness.

In Nashville, I was wearing my DFW chapter shirt. More than a few people remarked “I didn’t know Gonzaga was located in Texas.” Lol

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Oh ... I agree completely and was looking forward to watching the GU/CWU stream myself. I agreed with Jazz when he brought it up the first time. Didn't really mind his take on the GU Admin (re this issue) when he brought it up a second time. Was mildly annoyed when it was brought up a third time. Started to tire of it the fourth, fifth and sixth time (including PM's) and was surprised it was brought up again this morning. Thus my snarky reaction.

Talk about beating a dead horse. And I thought our PMs were sacrosanct. (Signed) Disappointed in Del Mar

thespywhozaggedme
11-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Ha! Ok, fair enough

thespywhozaggedme
11-04-2018, 08:36 AM
IMO, the further you get away from the West Coast, the further the Zags are removed from the national consciousness.

In Nashville, I was wearing my DFW chapter shirt. More than a few people remarked “I didn’t know Gonzaga was located in Texas.” Lol

I dunno, I live in the heart of ACC/SEC country and they all know the Zags, but that could just be because this area is more college sports knowledgeable than most other areas of the country.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 08:44 AM
I dunno, I live in the heart of ACC/SEC country and they all know the Zags, but that could just be because this area is more college sports knowledgeable than most other areas of the country.

Agree. Texans are not known for their outside the state sports acumen...or introspection.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Clearly, Tex, Tennessee and Texas are outliers in this regard.

TexasZagFan
11-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Agree. Texans are not known for their outside the state sports acumen...or introspection.

Hey, it’s football season...it’s a different world from August to January, or at least until Signing Day and spring football. :lmao:

johno
11-04-2018, 09:39 AM

I just don't understand why someone on the GU athletics staff couldn't help out all the out of town fans, people they would obviously want to support and cultivate, and ask KHQ to stream the game, or at least inform the fan base on this board that the game wouldn't be streamed.

sittingon50
11-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Tacos............

maynard g krebs
11-04-2018, 12:56 PM
From what I've heard, basketball is the #3 college sport in Texas, behind football and spring football. My hs friends in Pennsylvania are very aware of the Zags.

RenoZag
11-05-2018, 07:26 AM
The Athletic posted a feature article, authored by Sam Vecenie, on Rui this morning:

https://theathletic.com/623160/2018/11/05/2019-nba-draft-prospects-rui-hachimura-preseason-scouting-profile/?source=dailyemail

“The junior high school coach told me every day I was going to the NBA,” Hachimura said. “I couldn’t even dribble or shoot, but he said ‘you’re going to the NBA.’ And I’m stupid and didn’t know any better, so I believed him.”

But none of this makes him a perfect prospect, nor is he a surefire lottery pick. Hachimura still had significant defensive lapses last season, even as he still got better in the Zags’ scheme. He wasn’t always there in help defense. He might miss a rotation at times. It was the biggest reason why he didn’t play as a freshman, as the language barrier was too difficult to breach in regard to getting him consistently in the right place. But here’s the other thing: his combination of strength and athleticism also makes him a switchable playmaker defensively. His instincts for the ball are high. It’s part of the reason he finds himself out of position: it’s not out of laziness, it’s often out of a desire to get into a passing lane and make a play. The upside is there as soon as he gets the fundamentals down.

Radbooks
11-05-2018, 08:34 AM
GREAT article about Rui!

Zags_Fanatic
11-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Vecenie just tweeted out a few paragraphs that got cut from his story. Some great stuff about the language barrier when Rui arrived. Well worth the read and not behind a paywall:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1059477454790610944

Zags_Fanatic
11-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Kendra Andrews has been knocking it out of the park, she is going to have some great offers right out of college.

Here's her latest on Tillie being out and what it means to this squad:

https://theathletic.com/634189/2018/11/05/loss-of-tillie-gives-gonzaga-something-to-work-on-prove-over-next-two-months/

ZagNative
11-05-2018, 10:13 AM
GREAT article about Rui!Absolutely! Well-written!

Zags_Fanatic
11-05-2018, 12:14 PM
One more for today. Vecenie put out his 2019 Draft Big Board which features four Zags. https://theathletic.com/628447/2018/11/05/sam-vecenies-2019-nba-draft-big-board-ranking-the-top-100-prospects/

#9 Rui Hachimura
#36 Killian Tillie
#57 Zach Norvell
#71 Brandon Clarke

I think we will see Norvell and Clarke come back next year and climb up this list dramatically, especially if Clarke has developed some shooting range.

Rui and an injured Tillie seem about right to me.

rennis
11-05-2018, 01:39 PM
From what I've heard, basketball is the #3 college sport in Texas, behind football and spring football. My hs friends in Pennsylvania are very aware of the Zags.

You're a 9 year member of the board and you're in High School? This explains so much.

:p

thespywhozaggedme
11-05-2018, 02:21 PM

You have to go jump back in, there's another guy, this time I think he's a Vols fan that is completely trashing us and our schedule.

TexasZagFan
11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
You have to go jump back in, there's another guy, this time I think he's a Vols fan that is completely trashing us and our schedule.

No doubt one of the Vols fans that thought Gonzaga was in Texas. :lmao:

GoZags
11-06-2018, 05:27 AM

No thanks. I'd made my point, then echo'd it. I don't mind that other guy getting the last word. It's my belief that their board now knows a little more about "who we are" and "what we're all about" and I'm fine with that.

maynard g krebs
11-06-2018, 12:13 PM
You're a 9 year member of the board and you're in High School? This explains so much.

:p

The 2500 mile daily commute to Pennsylvania for class is a bit rough. My arms get tired from all the flapping.

rennis
11-07-2018, 06:28 AM
The 2500 mile daily commute to Pennsylvania for class is a bit rough. My arms get tired from all the flapping.

lol!

Zags_Fanatic
11-15-2018, 08:46 AM
This one is about USF but it's an absolutely fascinating read about how coach Smith uses numbers and statistics to make his coaching decisions and has some interesting history about him and Coach Bennett at SMC.

https://theathletic.com/652122/2018/11/15/nerdball-is-ushering-in-a-new-era-at-resurgent-san-francisco/

Zags_Fanatic
11-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Two more featured articles today:

Seth Davis on Rui (very similar to last week's ESPN piece but with some great quotes from teammates and coaches): https://theathletic.com/659804/2018/11/19/no-longer-lost-in-translation-rui-hachimura-is-a-star-in-the-making-at-gonzaga/

Kendra Andrews catches up with players from the 2009 team that won the Maui Invitational: https://theathletic.com/661379/2018/11/19/the-maui-invitational-is-special-just-ask-the-09-gonzaga-players-that-won-it/

This blurb from Davis' article is fantastic, if I ran a student section going against the Zags I would print out dozens of giant squirrel pictures to try to get in his head:

Though he is petrified of the countless squirrels that scurry around campus, Hachimura makes the other Zags chuckle when he warns them never to kill a spider. “In Japan, spider is happiness,” Hachimura says. “So if you kill a spider, you are killing happiness.”