PDA

View Full Version : Cord cutting question?

izzjess
09-29-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking of getting sling tv to watch our zags on espn. My question is how to get the local and away games that are on khq or on root sports. I live to far away from spokane to pick them up with an antenna and, thewtv blocks me out of most local and away games. So I was wondering what some other cord cutters are doing. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Kong-Kool-Aid
09-29-2018, 05:18 PM
I believe any games on the w would also be on ESPN3

izzjess
09-29-2018, 05:34 PM
I believe any games on the w would also be on ESPN3Some are. But they are also blocked out

Bulldoginseattle
09-29-2018, 07:30 PM
You can watch ten the next day if you don’t mind that kind of thing though (what I have to do).

izzjess
09-29-2018, 09:18 PM
You can watch ten the next day if you donít mind that kind of thing though (what I have to do).This has only worked sometimes. Most of the time they just stay blocked out. Plus I want to see the games live. But thanks

DixieZag
09-30-2018, 06:40 AM
We have done a modified cord cut, cannot afford the monthly expense for living across the country.

The "W" has been invaluable and I haven't seen it blacked out, but others' surely know well how that works. What I can say is that most games have been just fine.

ZagHouse
09-30-2018, 07:04 AM
I recently cut the chord myself because I couldn't justify what I was spending on cable when considering how much tv I actually watch. It was important to me to be able to watch GU when only local affiliates cover them as well as the Seahawks when they're the regional feed. Currently, there are several options with Sling being my least favorite. Check out Hulu Live. It comes with all the ESPN channels + KREM, KXLY, KHQ, and KAYU. It was important to me to find a streaming service with local channels and Hulu works. YouTube TV is also a viable option. There are others like Directv Now and PlayStation Vue, but they don't have all of our local channels yet. Everything is HD and each service is around $40 a month. Each one has cloud DVR storage as well. I have an internet speed of 150 mbps which costs $64. My total bill now is about $110 with internet and Hulu. Way better than the $180 + I was spending. I'd also look to buy your own modem and router instead of renting from the cable company. They'll pay for themselves in about a year.

slickguser
09-30-2018, 09:09 AM
The blacked out games on Watchstadium (thewtv) are based on your ip address. The games are usually available for viewing on the east coast. The actual video streams are not blocked, only the process that tries to start the video stream.

There are a few ways to change the ip that you use to access the watchstadium website:
The easiest way is to update your VPN settings to use a server on the east coast.
If you are not using a VPN, a proxy server will work fine. A google search for "free proxy list" should help. Try a few proxy servers, you should eventually find one that works.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Not to completely derail the thread, but I am also considering a cord-cutting option.

I do not live anywhere near Spokane. Has anybody outside of the KHQ broadcast area attempted to cut the cord? Have you been able to view most of the Zag games live?

izzjess
09-30-2018, 01:09 PM
I recently cut the chord myself because I couldn't justify what I was spending on cable when considering how much tv I actually watch. It was important to me to be able to watch GU when only local affiliates cover them as well as the Seahawks when they're the regional feed. Currently, there are several options with Sling being my least favorite. Check out Hulu Live. It comes with all the ESPN channels + KREM, KXLY, KHQ, and KAYU. It was important to me to find a streaming service with local channels and Hulu works. YouTube TV is also a viable option. There are others like Directv Now and PlayStation Vue, but they don't have all of our local channels yet. Everything is HD and each service is around $40 a month. Each one has cloud DVR storage as well. I have an internet speed of 150 mbps which costs $64. My total bill now is about $110 with internet and Hulu. Way better than the $180 + I was spending. I'd also look to buy your own modem and router instead of renting from the cable company. They'll pay for themselves in about a year.I will try hulu tv.
Local channels

basketballzag
09-30-2018, 02:57 PM
I will try hulu tv.
Local channels

Sling TV and youíll be kicking yourself for not cutting three years ago. All the Zag games are on there.

Snagglezag
09-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Sling TV and you’ll be kicking yourself for not cutting three years ago. All the Zag games are on there.

That may be true if you happen to live within KHQ's broadcasting region. Root NW games are presently unavailable via stream, as far as I know.

willandi
09-30-2018, 03:58 PM
That may be true if you happen to live within KHQ's broadcasting region. Root NW games are presently unavailable via stream, as far as I know.

That is what I think to. If they had Root, I would be there in an instant. Not only Zag games but Mariners as well.

hockeyzag
09-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Get an apple tv. Find a friend who has a sweet cable package, pay them $$ to give you their account username and password. You get every app they have a channel for (ESPN included) for free, you just pay for internet. Or pay them a small fee every month. You using their account over the internet won't cost them any additional fees.
I use a friends' account from San Diego who has a cable package through AT&T Uverse. I'm fairly certain you can't do the same thing through Comcast.

GrizZAG
10-01-2018, 05:32 AM
I spend winter in Arizona. I called Direct TV and they gave me Root Sports NW for Gonzaga games specifically for $10 a month. It ends up on various channels but I get them all. Many are on one of the ESPN channels so they are not a problem, then the other games I can usually get on TheW TV by streaming. I may have missed a couple that were only locally broadcast but they were insignificant games.

Jakester425
10-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Not to completely derail the thread, but I am also considering a cord-cutting option.

I do not live anywhere near Spokane. Has anybody outside of the KHQ broadcast area attempted to cut the cord? Have you been able to view most of the Zag games live?

I cut the cord 2 years ago and have been just fine.

I pay $5/month for a VPN service to avoid blackout from Watchstadium (thewtv). I stream the game on my phone or laptop and cast to my Apple TV to view on the big screen.

For the ESPN games I use my parents Xfinity login.

Ebay
10-01-2018, 09:30 AM
I cut the cord 2 years ago and have been just fine.

I pay $5/month for a VPN service to avoid blackout from Watchstadium (thewtv). I stream the game on my phone or laptop and cast to my Apple TV to view on the big screen.

For the ESPN games I use my parents Xfinity login.

Which VPN service do you use? I have Sling but I live within the Root Sports umbrella so their games are blacked out for me(on Watchstadium and ESPN+). Hoping the VPN option would work this season and be more affordable than switching back to my former subscription service.

Jakester425
10-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Which VPN service do you use? I have Sling but I live within the Root Sports umbrella so their games are blacked out for me(on Watchstadium and ESPN+). Hoping the VPN option would work this season and be more affordable than switching back to my former subscription service.

I use IPVanish. October is Cyber Security Awareness Month, so there are probably deals out there right now. You can go to slickdeals and search "VPN" for a list of current deals.

229SintoZag
10-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Get an apple tv. Find a friend who has a sweet cable package, pay them $$ to give you their account username and password. You get every app they have a channel for (ESPN included) for free, you just pay for internet. Or pay them a small fee every month. You using their account over the internet won't cost them any additional fees.
I use a friends' account from San Diego who has a cable package through AT&T Uverse. I'm fairly certain you can't do the same thing through Comcast.

What you describe is theft. Whether you pay your friend or not.

Coyot21
10-23-2018, 07:23 PM
I "cut the cord" about 9 years ago, and have been pretty successful at seeing all of the games each season. I do my best to avoid finding alternative sites, but it has been necessary at times. I have used Sling, PS Vue, and a few others for legit access. I moved over to the west side a year ago, and of course the KHQ/Root games were the biggest challenge last season. I am glad to see there isn't a CBS Sports game on the schedule so far, that was also a challenge. Anyone on the west side have a good way to watch KHQ/Root games reliably? I know there are "alternate methods" but like I said, I do my best to avoid them if at all possible. Thanks in advance. -Living Among the Fungus

hockeyzag
10-23-2018, 08:34 PM
What you describe is theft. Whether you pay your friend or not.

Not if he uses money I pay him to pay the bill.

Would you say the same thing to someone who shares their netflix username and password with a friend or family member?

Sheesh, lighten up Sinto.

izzjess
10-23-2018, 09:06 PM
I am going to try youtube tv. They say u get spokanes main local channel's so that would be khq. I will let you guys know how it goes

Zagceo
10-23-2018, 10:35 PM
I am going to try youtube tv. They say u get spokanes main local channel's so that would be khq. I will let you guys know how it goes

Iíve been using Youtubetv for couple of weeks. Works best on Computer with chrome.

Interface through Apple TV is slower for me.

I like it better than Directvnow.

Local stations are assigned just like cable or DirecTV

$40 a month and get lots of sports including ESPNS Fox sports and many more

FlyZag
10-24-2018, 06:02 AM
I have been using youtubeTV. IMO it had the best sports/local options. With it you also get free access to their premium ad-free youtube service -bonus. I stream through a Samsung smart tv with no issues. (Hard ethernet connection will always be superior over wifi no matter the streaming service)

FuManShoes
10-24-2018, 06:18 AM
I'd cut the cord in a heartbeat but we seem to have no viable internet options besides Comcast where I live in Seattle, and the speeds needed to stream video cost nearly as much as a cable package so it didn't pencil out. Anyone in the Queen Anne area of Seattle know of internet besides Comcast? Despite our stadium being named for CenturyLink, they don't serve wide swaths of the city, not does Wave or Google Fiber or Vios, is pathetic.

zagssuperfan
10-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Iíve been using Youtubetv for couple of weeks. Works best on Computer with chrome.

Does that include root sports?

Zagceo
10-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Does that include root sports?

No

DirecTV...Dish...Comcast...seem to be only options for root sports (https://northwest.rootsports.com/gonzaga/) and they do carry 14 Zag games

far right side of page....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Sports_Northwest

STIETZ543
10-24-2018, 08:58 AM
I have Playstation Vue. I get local 2,4,6 and 28. There are different packages and prices but i pay 49 bucks and get all the espn and fox sports channels, don't think i get root though. Careful with Hulu live if you're trying to use a smart tv, It only works with lg or samsung smart tvs that are web based. You can always use chromecast, fire stick or other plug in device if you don't have one of those smart tvs.

Jedster
10-24-2018, 04:54 PM

Curious what you like better than DirectTV Now? We have been looking to cut the cord and I like the channel options in one of their tiers. Also looked at YouTube TVAm sick of Comcast, and also annoyed at the high cost of internet only. Have heard mixed reviews of Century Link internet. Thanks!

Zagceo
10-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Curious what you like better than DirectTV Now? We have been looking to cut the cord and I like the channel options in one of their tiers. Also looked at YouTube TVAm sick of Comcast, and also annoyed at the high cost of internet only. Have heard mixed reviews of Century Link internet. Thanks!

so far no freezing or buffering which I encountered w directvnow. The picture looks really good but I know most wouldn't notice a difference.

The interface on computer shows actual live programs in guide position. kinda cool

my cox download speed is 86mbps ....

izzjess
10-24-2018, 06:17 PM
so far no freezing or buffering which I encountered w directvnow. The picture looks really good but I know most wouldn't notice a difference.

The interface on computer shows actual live programs in guide position. kinda cool

my cox download speed is 86mbps ....Plus u have to pay a lot more money to get all of espn on direct. U tube has them all for 40 bucks.

Zagceo
10-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Plus u have to pay a lot more money to get all of espn on direct. U tube has them all for 40 bucks.

yep...$40 gets a lot ESPNS FOXS including Golf channel and Tennis channel which most other systems get a premium up charge

isongd
10-25-2018, 07:38 AM

ESPN (maybe just spectrum) has recently done something to combat this. If you have the same provider of the person you plan to borrow from, it will autolog you into your account, rather than let you sign into your friends. The byepass is to go somewhere with a different provider use their internet to log onto friends account, then when you get home hope the autologin is their account instead of yours (this was hit or miss for me).

More on topic: When in doubt... old trusty reddit streams is always there.

johno
10-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Does thewtv show games from root sports if you are out of the local area?

goodbja
10-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Yes. I lice in Latham, ny and was able to watch almost all the games that were on Root on the W.tv. There may have been 1 or 2 that were not available. Also last year most of the games that were on Root were available in my area on espn3

willandi
10-25-2018, 09:11 AM
The youtubetv looks good but doesn't have Root sports, so no Mariners...and I still like baseball.

maynard g krebs
10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Yes. I lice in Latham, ny

Don't they have a shampoo for that? :)

maynard g krebs
10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Does thewtv show games from root sports if you are out of the local area?

A lot of the Root games are on ESPN3 as well.

izzjess
10-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Do any of you youtube tv people know weather or not u get blacked out of games if u live in the spokane area? It's dumb, but I know that there are some rules out there that won't allow you to stream certain games over the internet even if u pay for the service. Did any of your games get blacked out on youtube tv?

MDABE80
10-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Portland Blazer games are blacked.

krozman
10-26-2018, 02:54 PM
I cut the cord 2 years ago. I found that with my life schedule I watch about 2/3rds of the GU games, and two beers and a burger at the local waddells is actually cheaper than cable. That's small comfort to those out of town, but that was my personal solution.....and far tastier.

Jedster
10-26-2018, 08:08 PM

my cox download speed is 86mbps ....

Thanks so much!