PDA

View Full Version : Practice starts TODAY!

sittingon50
09-28-2018, 01:20 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/27/four-questions-as-gonzaga-mens-basketball-opens-pr/

Zagceo
09-28-2018, 02:05 PM
don't like if's

Crandall, if he becomes eligible next month, should add scoring, experience, ball-handling and playmaking to a backcourt that lacks proven depth beyond Perkins and wings Zach Norvell Jr. and Corey Kispert.

or academic situations

True freshman Greg Foster Jr. and redshirt freshman Joel Ayayi could emerge in Gonzaga’s rotation, depending on Perkins’ health status and Crandall’s academic situation.

JAGzag
09-28-2018, 02:18 PM
“Depending on Perkins health status”?? What the hell does that mean? Is there a question whether Josh isnt’t 100% ready to go this year? If so, first I’ve heard of it!

MDABE80
09-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Josh is on schedule to begin the games in 5 weeks. Although SR gives Ayayi short shrift, I still say he's got pro athleticism. And he's had one heck of a Summer in the EURO leagues and FIBA. I think he's ready to go and will surprise us. Shooting and passing much much better. Best speed I've seen since Meech. he might even be faster/quicker. Sounds like Clarke is ready to soar. Another with Pro athleticism. Does a lot up in the air. Easily newcomer of the year.

Zagceo
09-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Josh is on schedule to begin the games in 5 weeks. Although SR gives Ayayi short shrift, I still say he's got pro athleticism. And he's had one heck of a Summer in the EURO leagues and FIBA. I think he's ready to go and will surprise us. Shooting and passing much much better. Best speed I've seen since Meech. he might even be faster/quicker. Sounds like Clarke is ready to soar. Another with Pro athleticism. Does a lot up in the air. Easily newcomer of the year.

5 weeks no games/contact for Josh? No Crandall until Oct 23...tough start

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-28-2018, 03:37 PM

Ayayi and Norvell might need to practice at point guard during the early season. That experience can’t hurt their development.

cggonzaga
09-28-2018, 03:50 PM
“Depending on Perkins health status”?? What the hell does that mean? Is there a question whether Josh isnt’t 100% ready to go this year? If so, first I’ve heard of it!

This has been reported here and elsewhere for quite awhile.

gonzagafan62
09-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Can’t say I’m worried one bit about the news of either player. Reminds me of the whole krnowski back situation. These kids will play and be okay. Not worried one bit

Go zags

GoZags
09-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Although his classes wouldn't start until October 23, 2018 he's able to be on campus (and practicing) as soon as he has UND academics finalized. He expects to be in uniform next Saturday at the Kraziness event ... and since he's expecting to be there, I'm expecting him to be there. Of course "nothing's in the bag until it is the bag" but I remain hopeful (with a tinge of "confident").

jazzdelmar
09-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Although his classes wouldn't start until October 23, 2018 he's able to be on campus (and practicing) as soon as he has UND academics finalized. He expects to be in uniform next Saturday at the Kraziness event ... and since he's expecting to be there, I'm expecting him to be there. Of course "nothing's in the bag until it is the bag" but I remain hopeful (with a tinge of "confident").

Fingers crossed. Among other things.

raise the zag
09-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Perkins still a month away from full contact.

He will be practicing but limited in team drills, scrimmages, etc. Mostly coaching, rehabbing, individual drills, shooting.

Still regaining strength, full range of motion (without any pain), & trusting it again.

Josh has been shooting since July, but limited from contact i.e. no defense, rebounding, full court play, etc.

Should be good to go by Game 1. May be a slower start this season for him compared to last.

MileHigh
09-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Perkins still a month away from full contact.

He will be practicing but limited in team drills, scrimmages, etc. Mostly coaching, rehabbing, individual drills, shooting.

Still regaining strength, full range of motion (without any pain), & trusting it again.

Josh has been shooting since July, but limited from contact i.e. no defense, rebounding, full court play, etc.

Should be good to go by Game 1. May be a slower start this season for him compared to last.

The "no contact" for Josh is simply precautionary to make sure there are no setbacks. If he had to play a game tomorrow he could, no problem. Saw him do some things on the court last month here in Denver that I haven't seen from him in a couple of years. He is healthier right now than he was at this time last year. As long as shoulder doesnt' get re-injured he will have no limitations

WallaWallaZag
09-28-2018, 09:31 PM
The "no contact" for Josh is simply precautionary to make sure there are no setbacks. If he had to play a game tomorrow he could, no problem. Saw him do some things on the court last month here in Denver that I haven't seen from him in a couple of years. He is healthier right now than he was at this time last year. As long as shoulder doesnt' get re-injured he will have no limitations

hasn't josh had some recurring ankle problems as well? the time off couldn't hurt from that perspective either...get the whole body healthy again.

Zagceo
09-28-2018, 09:53 PM

Thanks. Good to hear

cjm720
09-29-2018, 07:19 AM

This is the most encouraging news and a big key to our hopeful success this year. Thanks for the update!!

NEC26
09-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Yes, very encouraging news.

MontanaCoyote
09-30-2018, 08:26 AM
No mention of Snacks or Kispert. Maybe they aren’t questions but they sure fit in some where. Two big +’s.

Zagdawg
10-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
9h9 hours ago
More Jon Rothstein Retweeted Fran Fraschilla
Just landed! Pumped to be in Spokane.

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
Follow Follow @franfraschilla
More
Excited to see my friend, @JonRothstein at @ZagMBB practice today. Looking forward to him figuring out Zags starting 5 for me. Seriously, few work harder or are more dialed in & he’s a good guy, as well��❤️��

Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
8h8 hours ago
More
Greetings from The Kennel. Here for Gonzaga practice. Bulldogs should again be one of the best teams in the country in 18-19.

Zagdawg
10-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
Oct 1
More
.⁦@ZagMBB⁩ 6-8 Junior Rui Hachimura is a physical specimen. Shoulders the size of a tank. Reminds me so much a young Ron Artest.

Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Palpable Buzz at Gonzaga regarding Zach Norvell. If he squares his shoulders to the basket, it's like he's shooting a layup. An assassin from long distance.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Filip Petrusev. Buy stock now.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Early prediction on Gonzaga's starting five: Josh Perkins, Zach Norvell, Rui Hachimura, Brandon Clarke, Killian Tillie.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Rui Hachimura showcasing a new face up game here at Gonzaga practice. Extremely comfortable from the foul line and beyond. Taking and making 3's.

Sarenyon
10-03-2018, 03:24 AM
This is great stuff!

jazzdelmar
10-03-2018, 04:34 AM
Fraschilla knows his Artest.

raise the zag
10-03-2018, 05:18 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
Oct 1
More
.⁦@ZagMBB⁩ 6-8 Junior Rui Hachimura is a physical specimen. Shoulders the size of a tank. Reminds me so much a young Ron Artest.

Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Palpable Buzz at Gonzaga regarding Zach Norvell. If he squares his shoulders to the basket, it's like he's shooting a layup. An assassin from long distance.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Early prediction on Gonzaga's starting five: Josh Perkins, Zach Norvell, Rui Hachimura, Brandon Clarke, Killian Tillie.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6h6 hours ago
More
Rui Hachimura showcasing a new face up game here at Gonzaga practice. Extremely comfortable from the foul line and beyond. Taking and making 3's.

We can have all this, yet not a peep, a mention, even a score from the secret scrimmage?

These tweets give away so much more Intel to future opponents than a casual scrimmage report.

All these tweets are darn-near a scouting report on some lvl.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate these reports, but there is a fine line here.

jazzdelmar
10-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Was the secret scrim held?

OntZags
10-03-2018, 05:34 AM
We can have all this, yet not a peep, a mention, even a score from the secret scrimmage?

I'm pretty sure the NCAA has done away with the reporting rule. There are still restrictions on who can attend but teams can talk about it.

It's just that a lot of teams don't bother because they know the result is meaningles and its just about the process. I can see Few being in the camp that doesn't care to broadcast the info.

NotoriousZ
10-03-2018, 05:42 AM
6-8 Junior Rui Hachimura is a physical specimen. Shoulders the size of a tank. Reminds me so much a young Ron Artest.

Sweet, sweet music.

bigblahla
10-03-2018, 06:03 AM

These tweets give away so much more Intel to future opponents than a casual scrimmage report.

All these tweets are darn-near a scouting report on some lvl.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate these reports, but there is a fine line here.

I wouldn't worry too much if I was you...

Before round ball became rugby on hardwood the offensive player had a distinct advantage, still does but not so much with all the uncalled fouls, would love for one ref anywhere to call the game by the rules, just once.... my point is you can know what they are going to do but you still have to stop them.... the best shot is and always has been an open shot.... shooters make open shots.... Zags have lots of shooters....

Just cause you know what's coming doesn't mean you can stop it from happening....

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagdawg
10-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
3h3 hours ago
More
Quick take on @ZagMBB after two days: 1. Rui Hachimura’s dramatic improvement. 2. Starting front line on par with anyone. 3. San Jose transfer, Brandon Clark, very athletic glue guy. 4. Norvell, Kispert, Tillie automatic when open. 5. Need guard depth

DixieZag
10-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
3h3 hours ago
More
Quick take on @ZagMBB after two days: 1. Rui Hachimura’s dramatic improvement. 2. Starting front line on par with anyone. 3. San Jose transfer, Brandon Clark, very athletic glue guy. 4. Norvell, Kispert, Tillie automatic when open. 5. Need guard depth

Riu improved dramatically over the summer? That is stunning if true.

cggonzaga
10-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
3h3 hours ago
More

Hate being that guy but #5 worries me that Crandall is anything but a done deal. Also leads me to believe Ayayi is not ready.

tinfoilzag
10-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Hate being that guy but #5 worries me that Crandall is anything but a done deal. Also leads me to believe Ayayi is not ready.

You aren't being "that" guy, you are just being a guy. The expectation is for GU to be a top 5 team in the country so these are matter of fact statements.

At the time of the tweet, we need guard depth. Crandall is not a done deal. Ayayi is not ready for a primary spot in the rotation.

Zagdawg
10-03-2018, 09:32 AM
And Josh is still working his way back.

LongIslandZagFan
10-03-2018, 09:40 AM
You aren't being "that" guy, you are just being a guy. The expectation is for GU to be a top 5 team in the country so these are matter of fact statements.

At the time of the tweet, we need guard depth. Crandall is not a done deal. Ayayi is not ready for a primary spot in the rotation.

Patience on Geno. Patience.

cggonzaga
10-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Patience on Geno. Patience.

I think we are all being patient but when a guy in the know references something like this, there may be something to it. Granted a 3 guard rotation including Crandall still isn’t considered great depth so maybe that’s all he’s referencing.

tinfoilzag
10-03-2018, 10:17 AM
I think we are all being patient but when a guy in the know references something like this, there may be something to it. Granted a 3 guard rotation including Crandall still isn’t considered great depth so maybe that’s all he’s referencing.

I think this is right, especially for GU.

JPtheBeasta
10-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Starting PG coming off shoulder surgery and no true backup is the epitome of “need guard depth.” We really dodged the bullet last year by avoiding foul trouble and major injury but this has been a concern for a while.

Zagdawg
10-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
2h2 hours ago
More Fran Fraschilla Retweeted Steven Karr
.@corey_kispert looked very good. Big piece of @ZagMBB puzzle.Fran Fraschilla added,
Steven Karr

MDABE80
10-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Unless I misread these posts, it's pretty clear the Zags are generating glowing reports from this slice of the basketball media. I've said before that this team will be superior and top 5 without Geno.....he'll be here but even without him, we look sensational. MileHigh's assured us Josh is doing very well and I confirm that. The rest of the top 7 is amazingly good.
Geno comes, things get better for an already FF team.

jazzdelmar
10-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Who doesn’t someone just ask Franny via the Twitter machine?

Reborn
10-03-2018, 02:31 PM

I believe that I read a blog about the Zags unveiling one of our prize recruits, Could that be Crandall?

hooter73
10-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Im encouraged by teh description of Clarke being a Glue guy, that equates rebounding, blocks, screens and assists to me, but I think some/most were hoping for more than "just" a glue guy. Will be interesting to see how he plays out.

thespywhozaggedme
10-03-2018, 03:34 PM
I believe that I read a blog about the Zags unveiling one of our prize recruits, Could that be Crandall?

He's not a recruit, he's a commit. It's Timme

cggonzaga
10-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Im encouraged by teh description of Clarke being a Glue guy, that equates rebounding, blocks, screens and assists to me, but I think some/most were hoping for more than "just" a glue guy. Will be interesting to see how he plays out.

While I don’t believe he’s the next LeBron by some here I certainly believe he is better than a glue guy. That being said, with Rui and Tillie, that’s all he really needs to be.

NotoriousZ
10-03-2018, 03:43 PM

It is encouraging. For one thing, he didn’t say “just a glue guy,” he said “very athletic glue guy.” And a glue guy is just what this team needs. I don’t take it to mean that he won’t score, either.

Can’t wait to get a glimpse on Saturday!

MontanaCoyote
10-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Unless I misread these posts, it's pretty clear the Zags are generating glowing reports from this slice of the basketball media. I've said before that this team will be superior and top 5 without Geno.....he'll be here but even without him, we look sensational. MileHigh's assured us Josh is doing very well and I confirm that. The rest of the top 7 is amazingly good.
Geno comes, things get better for an already FF team.

I think it’s called an embarrassment of riches.

Malastein
10-04-2018, 08:40 AM
There’s levels with glue guys. Think super glue rather than Elmer’s...

jazzdelmar
10-04-2018, 10:17 AM
There’s levels with glue guys. Think super glue rather than Elmer’s...

Where would you slot Mike Hart?

willandi
10-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Where would you slot Mike Hart?

Double sided Duct Tape.

LTownZag
10-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Fran Fraschilla

Verified account

@franfraschilla
3h3 hours ago
More

1. FF could easily have been expecting the Rui we saw during the early part of last season, not the Rui from late March. Rui is definitely improved, but I wouldn't take this to definitely mean a dramatic change in the past 5 months.

2. I'm curious if "front line" means frontcourt, or starting 5.

3. I too, hope that BC is more than a "glue guy". I hope he's an offensive weapon that has to be game planned around.

4. I wonder if Perkins was shooting (and not looking as good) or was not shooting (perhaps due to shoulder rehab)? Either way, I would like to hope that an open Perkins from 3 is just as (or more) "automatic".

5. Crandall please graduate and enroll!