PDA

View Full Version : Rui Pre Season First Team All American

Zagdawg
09-25-2018, 05:58 PM
RUI HACHIMURA, Gonzaga
The Japanese forward only recently arrived back on campus after taking part in FIBA World Cup qualifiers with his national team. Hachimura is exactly the kind of big, athletic and versatile forward that dominates basketball in today’s day and age. He’ll need to be a more consistent perimeter shooter, and there are still times where he seems to get lost defensively, but 6-foot-8 combo-forwards with his physical tools do not come around often. He scored 24 points in an upset win over a very good Australian national team this summer in a World Cup qualifier.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
KY BOWMAN, Boston College
MIKE DAUM, South Dakota State
ASHTON HAGANS, Kentucky
SAGABA KONATE, West Virginia
CHARLES MATTHEWS, Michigan
CAM REDDISH, Duke
KILLIAN TILLIE, Gonzaga
REID TRAVIS, Kentucky
NICK WARD, Michigan State

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/09/25/college-basketball-preseason-all-americans/

White lightning
09-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Maybe this will light a fire under Killian. He has the skills to have a Olynyk type season. He just needs to play with confidence and be the big he's capable of. Two All American performances would be awesome to see this season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

katman50
09-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Impressive early kudos to Rui. And like the previous poster stated, I hope Tillie comes through and shows what he is capable of. It should be a very fun season. On paper, this years Zags look pretty damn good. Am excited! Today I even booked my flight down to Vegas for the WCC tourney.

willandi
09-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Both are right there at the top, and I wonder if Snax might not be the best all around player on the team.

hooter73
09-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Rui will need to figure out defense, Tillie will need to not disappear, and Norvell will need to make better decisions.

I hope they are all capable of doing these things every game, all season long.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2018, 03:07 AM
Lofty. Tils is the key to a F4 run.

MontanaCoyote
09-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Maybe, maybe not. But so much balance on this squad! A lot of hurt for opponents to worry about.

hockeyzag
09-26-2018, 07:48 AM
Snacks is up on one of those lists by the end of the year. No doubt in my mind.

MDABE80
09-26-2018, 08:33 AM
It's too early to tell but looking at this team, there are 4 who could be on this list buy season's end. Rui, Tillie, Clarke and Norvell.
If , and this sounds odd from me, Josh made such amazing improvement by the last half of the season , he may lurk of the Hon Mention sections of some lists if he continues to improve. Might be "his" season.

Each of our kids have lots of talent and tons of experience. Makes for a great team. Clarke wont be far behind Rui if he practiced his "elbow" and some distance shooting in the past year.

White lightning
09-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately with the style of basketball Gonzaga plays, we will have four to six players averaging double digits which may hamper the chance of All American status. I'm glad they play team basketball and that's why they are so successful.

bballbeachbum
09-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately with the style of basketball Gonzaga plays, we will have four to six players averaging double digits which may hamper the chance of All American status. I'm glad they play team basketball and that's why they are so successful.

like everything you're saying.

hoping to see all the guys believe, play with belief in themselves and each other, and see what that achieves. I believe the team and all here will like it if that happens, whatever happens

this is a lot of hype and exposure for Rui to rise into and live, wherever that is, and of course we'll see whatever happens, but count me in as a believer Rui will rise and deliver

Reborn
09-26-2018, 09:00 PM
This is great news. Looking forward to watching him play.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
09-27-2018, 05:42 AM
Lofty. Tils is the key to a F4 run.

This.

We have a 100% complete "team" if we assume an engaged Tillie. We don't even need heroics of the WCC tourney type, just an fully engaged, playing at full throttle, Tillie.

Bogozags
09-27-2018, 06:09 AM
Rui will need to figure out defense, Tillie will need to not disappear, and Norvell will need to make better decisions.

I hope they are all capable of doing these things every game, all season long.

IMO Rui is the Best athlete on this team; however, he may not be the best player on this team. In order for Rui to be a consensus AA at the end of the season he will have to be a very strong defensive player AND be a consistently solid shooter from 3pt land. I still believe he can be the most difficult player to defend this season when he plays at the SF position. As the first post states, he has all the physical characteristics of a player that comes along on an in frequent occasion...

MDABE80
09-27-2018, 09:09 AM
IMO Rui is the Best athlete on this team; however, he may not be the best player on this team. In order for Rui to be a consensus AA at the end of the season he will have to be a very strong defensive player AND be a consistently solid shooter from 3pt land. I still believe he can be the most difficult player to defend this season when he plays at the SF position. As the first post states, he has all the physical characteristics of a player that comes along on an in frequent occasion...

This! Professor Bogo nails it!

jazzdelmar
09-27-2018, 09:42 AM
This! Professor Bogo nails it!

Professor of what? Is he/she tenured?

Mr Vulture
09-27-2018, 09:47 AM
I don't think Rui needs to be a consistent 3pt shooter to be an AA player. Better outside shooting could be the difference from being late lottery to top five pick in the draft though. I agree he will need to a solid defensive player and continue his growth in the rest of his game to reach those accolades.

DixieZag
09-27-2018, 09:59 AM
I don't think Rui needs to be a consistent 3pt shooter to be an AA player. Better outside shooting could be the difference from being late lottery to top five pick in the draft though. I agree he will need to a solid defensive player and continue his growth in the rest of his game to reach those accolades.

I was surprised how little 3 pters he attempted last year given how well he shot during international play. Of course, the team doesn't have a shortage of 3 pt shooters. There are precious few who can get to the rim like him.

You make a great point about draft stock.

Malastein
09-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Who cares? Hope he can be an actual All American as he leads the Zags to a NC. Let’s get this season started!

MDABE80
09-27-2018, 01:46 PM
5 weeks Mal...tip! The waiting is the hardest part..