PDA

View Full Version : Josh, Karno, and Silas: Last of a Breed

TexasZagFan
09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Wasn't sure how to title this thread, but I doubt we'll see too many more players at Gonzaga that stay all four years of their eligibility.

It wasn't that long ago that a player leaving early was the exception, rather than the rule. We were used to four solid years from the likes of Sam, Gary Bell, Pangos, Stephen Gray, etc.

Gonzaga will never be a place for the one-and-done players...Zach Collins was a special situation, by garnering himself a lottery pick by having a great game in the NCAA tournament. Our newest addition from Lithuania was quoted talking about the family atmosphere at Gonzaga. No, I believe that we are becoming a landing spot for the 2-3 year players, particularly the one year redshirt/two year active players like Zach Norvell Jr., or the transfer who joins us for two years after sitting out that first year.

IMO, we are the perfect place for talented young men who want to prepare themselves for a basketball career beyond college, while understanding they need to develop themselves mentally and physically for what's to come. We have the facilities, the coaching, and a proven track record on developing young men to be successful in professional basketball, whether it be the NBA or overseas.

The list grows longer with each passing year, of Gonzaga players having success upon leaving Spokane. Rui will be the next Zag to explode on the professional scene. He will undoubtedly be prepared to the nth degree, not only by the coaching staff, but by the media exposure he's received from Japanese media.

In closing, a tip of the hat to Josh as he enters his final season at GU. He made quite an impression on all of us, particularly Big D and his uncle, who still talks about playing Josh one-on-one. We all got a big laugh when Josh swiped Dillon's hat for a couple of minutes. And it was his exhortation that got me into that photo...thankfully, I've dropped 30 pounds since then...lol. Crap, at my age, it takes a lot to be embarrassed about.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1745_zpswbihzq6l.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1745_zpswbihzq6l.jpg.html)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1769_zpsjt4ylf72.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1769_zpsjt4ylf72.jpg.html)

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Fantastic post and even fantastic-er tee-shirt of a Texas Zag Fan!

As much as I yearn for Zags to continue progressing and join those happy Few programs that earn a national championship, I hope we never become a program rotating through 1-2 year players. Give me the Elias Harris types every day of the week over the Calipari and Dukie one year contracts.

MontanaCoyote
09-20-2018, 05:29 PM
The only “good” thing I can personally attribute to “one and done’s” or player’s that leave after a couple of seasons that
I don’t suffer deep sorrow or depression when they leave. Happy for them, yes. Miss them like a Shem or, coming up,
a Josh? No. Over time I, and maybe you, just get so close, too close?, to players who play out all their collegiate time at GU.

I am still not fully recovered from losing “my” Shemmick. Just fell in love with the guy and can’t let him go. 4-5 years can do that. 1 or 2?

TexasZagFan
09-20-2018, 07:17 PM
The only “good” thing I can personally attribute to “one and done’s” or player’s that leave after a couple of seasons that
I don’t suffer deep sorrow or depression when they leave. Happy for them, yes. Miss them like a Shem or, coming up,
a Josh? No. Over time I, and maybe you, just get so close, too close?, to players who play out all their collegiate time at GU.

I am still not fully recovered from losing “my” Shemmick. Just fell in love with the guy and can’t let him go. 4-5 years can do that. 1 or 2?

I admit to getting too close to the players, even though I live 2000 miles from Spokane. That's due to the time we spent in Spokane during July 2017. We had four great days to leisurely enjoy the city and campus, while my son was a camper. The players were so friendly and accessible to everyone, especially the youngsters at camp. It embodied the family philosophy of Zag basketball. It was my first time being that close to the players since I attended Gonzaga.

My grandson still remembers Corey Kispert hoisting him on his shoulders, and making his first dunk in the Kennel. Obviously, I'm less critical of players' mistakes now than before that trip. Call me a softie, but the players are more like nephews to me than before.

BTW, the shirt I'm wearing in the picture with Josh represents the DFW alumni chapter. I wore it to the Tennessee game two years ago, and several UT fans remarked they didn't know Gonzaga was located in Texas.

webspinnre
09-21-2018, 07:49 AM
BTW, the shirt I'm wearing in the picture with Josh represents the DFW alumni chapter. I wore it to the Tennessee game two years ago, and several UT fans remarked they didn't know Gonzaga was located in Texas.

:lmao::000tens:

Bogozags
09-22-2018, 07:04 AM
Wasn't sure how to title this thread, but I doubt we'll see too many more players at Gonzaga that stay all four years of their eligibility.

It wasn't that long ago that a player leaving early was the exception, rather than the rule. We were used to four solid years from the likes of Sam, Gary Bell, Pangos, Stephen Gray, etc.

Gonzaga will never be a place for the one-and-done players...Zach Collins was a special situation, by garnering himself a lottery pick by having a great game in the NCAA tournament. Our newest addition from Lithuania was quoted talking about the family atmosphere at Gonzaga. No, I believe that we are becoming a landing spot for the 2-3 year players, particularly the one year redshirt/two year active players like Zach Norvell Jr., or the transfer who joins us for two years after sitting out that first year.

IMO, we are the perfect place for talented young men who want to prepare themselves for a basketball career beyond college, while understanding they need to develop themselves mentally and physically for what's to come. We have the facilities, the coaching, and a proven track record on developing young men to be successful in professional basketball, whether it be the NBA or overseas.

The list grows longer with each passing year, of Gonzaga players having success upon leaving Spokane. Rui will be the next Zag to explode on the professional scene. He will undoubtedly be prepared to the nth degree, not only by the coaching staff, but by the media exposure he's received from Japanese media.

In closing, a tip of the hat to Josh as he enters his final season at GU. He made quite an impression on all of us, particularly Big D and his uncle, who still talks about playing Josh one-on-one. We all got a big laugh when Josh swiped Dillon's hat for a couple of minutes. And it was his exhortation that got me into that photo...thankfully, I've dropped 30 pounds since then...lol. Crap, at my age, it takes a lot to be embarrassed about.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1745_zpswbihzq6l.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1745_zpswbihzq6l.jpg.html)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1769_zpsjt4ylf72.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1769_zpsjt4ylf72.jpg.html)

Your post is right on,

By the way I was shocked, from reading all your post these past 12 years I thought for sur you were taller!

Reborn
09-22-2018, 10:00 AM
The world has changed a lot in the last few years. Personally, I don't feel sad because players are not staying for four years. The thing I love about college basketball is that the team changes every 2-3 years. Nowadays, two or three years is a L O N G time. At least in my life. And having the kind of players who will move on in two or three years seems like a blessing to me. It means we now have players who can get us to the elite 8, Final Four, and National Championship. It wasn't a Fluke that Gonzaga made it to the National Championship game. And it's going to continue because we are on an equal playing field with the Elite teams now. Honestly, I guess I don't get real attached to players. I am more interested in them growing as a player and as a person. I am so happy that they are at GU because GU is a GREAT UNIVERSITY, and it will help them as a person even more as an athlete I believe.

I think I look forward to the new players more than I feel attached to players moving on. I enjoy watching the new players become better and better and helping the team become better and better. I am glad that Gonzaga now attracts talented players who can lead us to the Elite 8, and even the final 4. I really enjoyed the year we made it to the Final Four and National Championship. And I look forward to the new players who will get us there.

Go Zags!

kdaleb
09-23-2018, 08:08 AM
One of the sayings in college basketball is "get old, stay old." It refers to coaches recruiting players that like Shem, Josh, and Silas that are good enough to play as underclassmen but also will end up sticking around and not leaving early so that they are experienced upperclassmen. I agree that we do have more talented players than ever. But I think we'll continue to see young men we love stick it out for four years of playing in Spokane. While Rui and Tillie seem almost certain to leave after three years, I was also fairly certain that Elias Harris wouldn't last all four years as a Zag. And players like Kispert seem almost certain to stick around.

I get what you're saying... I agree we'll have fewer four year Zags, but maybe instead of 1.5 guys per class who are here four years as contributors, maybe we'll have one every other year. But we'll still have the "Gonzaga guys" that we get to watch grow into men on the basketball court and that we continue to love decades later.