PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Rankings

ZagNative
09-20-2018, 02:36 PM
First, here are the Sporting News rankings from Mike DeCourcy: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-2019-preseason-top-25-poll-duke-kentucky-kansas-unc/1k7p8n6w07zkf1xn7esz9gb7tz

3. Gonzaga Bulldogs

Key returnees: SG Zach Norvell, SF Rui Hachimura, C Killian Tillie, PG Josh Perkins, SG Corey Kispert

Key additions: PG Geno Crandall (tentative), PF Brandon Clarke, SF Jeremy Jones, PF Filip Petrusev

2018 finish: 32-5, Sweet 16

Why they’re here: Had the Bulldogs won the recruiting battle for point guard Brandon Williams, who instead chose Arizona, there’s a fair chance SN would have chosen the Zags as our No. 1 team. That’s no slight on Perkins, who has been a very good college player — he’s got 1,154 points on his way to possibly 1,500 for his career — and started on excellent teams at both backcourt spots. It’s just the Zags could use someone more dynamic at the position. Crandall ostensibly could give them at least another option there, but he still is working to graduate from North Dakota in order to transfer and join the team partway through preseason practice. No team has a more promising set of wings than Gonzaga does, with Norvell and Hachimura, each of whom functioned as an NCAA Tournament hero last March.

Strengths: Scoring ability, perimeter depth, experience.

Weaknesses: Backcourt quickness, which can be exploited by dynamic opponents.

willandi
09-20-2018, 02:45 PM
First, here are the Sporting News rankings from Mike DeCourcy: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-2019-preseason-top-25-poll-duke-kentucky-kansas-unc/1k7p8n6w07zkf1xn7esz9gb7tz

One of the things not mentioned is depth. Zags are 2 deep at almost every spot, the natural 5 being the only one with just Larsen...but we have hybrid 5's aplenty!

cggonzaga
09-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Who is this Jeremy Jones they refer to? :p

TexasZagFan
09-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Who is this Jeremy Jones they refer to? :p

He's the secret weapon that has been featured only a few times...lol.

CDC84
09-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Depth does not matter that much in March....the rotation will shrink to around 7 as it always does. Even Calipari shrinks his rotation.

What it does is protect you against are injuries.

What's more worrisome is that if Geno does NOT qualify, there will be no proven backup PG on the team. I need to see way more from Joel to convince me he is ready to be a national championship caliber player as a PG. As it stands right now, if Geno qualifies, Joel is not gonna see a lot of run.

The whole deal this season is about winning a national title, or at least making Minneapolis. That's the standard due to the talent level. The differences between accomplishing those things and not accomplishing them, well, it's a very fine line.

Such as having a point guard who is dynamic enough to beat future, NBA pros off the bounce with the shot clock clicking down.

GrizZAG
09-21-2018, 05:20 AM
What it does is protect you against are injuries.

And foul trouble.

No hijack here hopefully, but just want to shout out to Jeremy Jones that I've always appreciated him and admire his athleticism and game. I trust his contribution.

willandi
09-21-2018, 06:56 AM
And foul trouble.

No hijack here hopefully, but just want to shout out to Jeremy Jones that I've always appreciated him and admire his athleticism and game. I trust his contribution.

It was more the foul trouble that i was referring to.

I too appreciate Jeremy. Does this mean, as a new comer, that he gets more years?:)

scrooner
09-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Depth does not matter that much in March....

Hmm...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401025874

MickMick
09-21-2018, 08:13 AM
I'm excited about this team.
I think they have a great combination of skill, experience, and athleticism.

What concerns me is composure at critical junctures. Experience does count for something here, but I do believe there is some history that can at times be disconcerting.
This team, every team, faces adversity over the course of the season. I am not calling this team a championship caliber team until I see some examples of how they collectively respond to adversity.

cggonzaga
09-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Hmm...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401025874

I knew this was coming. Just because 1 team went 10 deep and made the elite 8 does not make it the blueprint. FSU simply got hot at the right time. Their ultimate demise was not having a go to player and/or go to rotation. A much better example is Villanova that went 9 deep but every guy had a role and their top 7 was tremendously talented. Gonzaga can go 9 deep this year with their top 7 being very talented.

3XaZag
09-21-2018, 09:45 AM
One thing I always keep in mind is that the NCAA tournament is a single game elimination crapshoot. While the better team usually wins, almost anything can happen in any one game. An injury (Tillie v Florida state), the ball bouncing one way over another in a short burst of time (UCLA's comeback in the elite 8), whistle happy refs (Collins in the national championship game) or just plain old cold shooting games where there is a lid on the basket for a good team (Virginia v. UMBC last year) Few had mentioned this several times in interviews before the final four run a couple years back. When asked about the 'monkey on his back' he always said he never felt the 'monkey' because he recognized the dynamic of the tournament. Those who were talking about a 'monkey' simply didn't recognize the vagaries of the tournament. Few knew that if you knock on the door often enough finally fate will grant you access to the FF.

Are we final four worthy this year? ...absolutely, but I will be happy with a very good run through the regular season (2 to 4 losses), a good showing in both the WCC tourney (title game) and the NCAA tourney (hopefully no streaking Shockers or a stray UMBC0, with at least a SS or E8. That puts us one more time knocking at that door. Then its a crapshoot for another FF or the ultimate NC. Knock enough times and fate will grant you the prize !! I think this is realistic, and as a side benefit, offers just a modicum of protection for my easily devastated heart, which, lacking full connection with my reasoned brain, still will wail of its own accord, at any loss.

ZagNative
09-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Great post, 3XaZag.

sittingon50
09-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Great post, 3XaZag.

Agree.

webspinnre
09-21-2018, 01:25 PM
One thing I always keep in mind is that the NCAA tournament is a single game elimination crapshoot. While the better team usually wins, almost anything can happen in any one game. An injury (Tillie v Florida state), the ball bouncing one way over another in a short burst of time (UCLA's comeback in the elite 8), whistle happy refs (Collins in the national championship game) or just plain old cold shooting games where there is a lid on the basket for a good team (Virginia v. UMBC last year) Few had mentioned this several times in interviews before the final four run a couple years back. When asked about the 'monkey on his back' he always said he never felt the 'monkey' because he recognized the dynamic of the tournament. Those who were talking about a 'monkey' simply didn't recognize the vagaries of the tournament. Few knew that if you knock on the door often enough finally fate will grant you access to the FF.

Are we final four worthy this year? ...absolutely, but I will be happy with a very good run through the regular season (2 to 4 losses), a good showing in both the WCC tourney (title game) and the NCAA tourney (hopefully no streaking Shockers or a stray UMBC0, with at least a SS or E8. That puts us one more time knocking at that door. Then its a crapshoot for another FF or the ultimate NC. Knock enough times and fate will grant you the prize !! I think this is realistic, and as a side benefit, offers just a modicum of protection for my easily devastated heart, which, lacking full connection with my reasoned brain, still will wail of its own accord, at any loss.

This is absolutely crucial to understanding, and is something that Mark Few has said numerous times.

ZagNative
09-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Here are a couple more rankings:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/ksrs-preseason-college-basketball-top-25/

2) Gonzaga Bulldogs

Key Returnees: Killian Tillie, Rui Hachimura, Zach Norvell, Josh Perkins, Corey Kispert
Key Departures: Jonathan Williams III
Key Additions: Brandon Clarke (transfer), Geno Crandall (transfer) Joel Ayayi, Filip Petrušev

Following the NBA Draft I had the Zags at No. 1, and had Kentucky not added Travis and Hagans in the middle of the spring I would have kept them there. Ultimately, bumping Mark Few’s club down isn’t an indictment on them, as much as it is about how good Kentucky appears to be right now.

In terms of the “why” I had Gonzaga No. 1 back in May, the answer is simple. Gonzaga is, as best I can tell, the only team that returns two players who I believe would have gone in the first round of the NBA Draft last year if they had declared. Killian Tillie would have been a fringe first rounder and has the talent to be a potential All-American this year. And Rui Hachimura is a player who I believe, had he worked out for NBA scouts, would have played his way into the Top 10 of last year’s draft. But he never did declare, and now he’s a candidate to compete for National Player of the Year.

When you add in that Gonzaga also returns veteran Josh Perkins (who started in the 2017 national championship game against North Carolina), NCAA Tournament hero Zach Norvell (who averaged 13 a game last year) and Corey Kispert, you can see how loaded they are. By the way, I haven’t even mentioned Brandon Clarke, a transfer who averaged 18 points per game at San Jose State two seasons ago. The buzz out of Spokane was that he dominated in practices last year.

Oh, and there is one more thing: When I put together that post-draft Top 25, the one glaring hole on Gonzaga’s roster was the need for extra help in the backcourt. They appear to have addressed that with grad transfer Geno Crandall, who averaged 16 points per game last year (and dropped 28 on the Zags). He’ll arrive in October.

Point being, this team is absolutely loaded and has the chance to not only get back to the Final Four next March, but win it too.

And From Yahoo: https://sports.yahoo.com/college-basketball-preseason-top-25-130004607.html

3. GONZAGA BULLDOGS

Who’s gone: Silas Melson, Johnathan Williams III
Who do they add: Geno Crandall, Brandon Clarke, Joel Ayayi, Filip Petrušev, Greg Foster Jr.
Projected starting lineup: Josh Perkins, Zach Norvell Jr., Corey Kispert, Rui Hachimura, Killian Tillie

I’m not fully convinced that I love Perkins as a point guard, but with Norvell and Kispert a year older and Hachimura and Tillie on the front line, the Zags have a chance to be really, really good once again. Throw in the transfer additions of Clarke and Crandall as well as a couple more talented foreigners — Ayayi and Petrušev — and this is just about what you would expect for Gonzaga.

Zagceo
09-30-2018, 02:31 PM

false statement

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63526-The-2018-19-Season-%93definition-of-success%94/page4