PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Martynas!!!

caldwellzag
09-20-2018, 08:06 AM
We just landed a big time international prospect!!

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1042791935897944064

caldwellzag
09-20-2018, 08:08 AM
I love the article, he is slotted at number 42 overall by 247 now!!!

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Lithuanian-star-Martynas-Arlauskas-commits-to-Gonzaga-122244716/

strikenowhere
09-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Excellent news! Now, how does he fit in with Anton Watson? Would Watson be leaning more towards the 4-spot now?

TexasZagFan
09-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Excellent news! Now, how does he fit in with Anton Watson? Would Watson be leaning more towards the 4-spot now?

Not if Drew Timme signs with us. Damn, we're looking good for the future!

LTownZag
09-20-2018, 08:31 AM

Martynas is 6'6" and 195lbs. More of a 3/4 type player.

jazzdelmar
09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Congrats staff and esp Tommy......Bonus 2.0!!!

caldwellzag
09-20-2018, 08:40 AM
With the addition, we are top 5 again.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1042800277433315329

Zagceo
09-20-2018, 08:40 AM
nice

like how he quickly transitions to defense...high motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzT2dbTSpk

lets hope stress fracture heals proper

GLJake
09-20-2018, 09:00 AM
High level passing ability stands out on ":Basketball Without Borders" highlight film!

thespywhozaggedme
09-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Martynas is 6'6" and 195lbs. More of a 3/4 type player.

I don't think he's a power forward at all. Actually I think he's a tall 2 guard.

caldwellzag
09-20-2018, 09:07 AM
I don't think he's a power forward at all. Actually I think he's a tall 2 guard.

I agree. Him and Watson will play well together.

JPtheBeasta
09-20-2018, 09:32 AM
This is great news. As an aside, who was the euro player that signed a professional contract?

Edit: Marko Pecarski, I think.

kitzbuel
09-20-2018, 09:34 AM

That is where most of the Euro sites list him.

I am excited about this. I wanted Martynas on this team. Great news!

ZagNative
09-20-2018, 10:25 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MO1cIGr.jpg

Worthington
09-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Welcome Martynas!! Lithuania is one of the best basketball countries in the world, if we can make Gonzaga a household name there and develop a pipeline, our recruiting will be in great shape!

Coming in at number 46 in the country is incredible, he must have really impressed the 24/7 Sports folk.

Spoko13
09-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Is that a dish from Pangos at 1:52?

caldwellzag
09-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Is that a dish from Pangos at 1:52?

:) The great thing about that clip is a lot of those highlights came against pros, he is ahead of a lot of the 2019 class as he competes at a higher level daily. I am excited for him to be here, the Euro step at 50 seconds was pretty sweet!

sittingon50
09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
:clap:

Reborn
09-20-2018, 11:08 AM
What I always look for in videos of recruits is how they attack the basket. Millions upon millions of players can shoot the 3 point shot. I want to see if they have that pull-up jumper inside. I want to see a six foot pull-up, a ten and 12 foot pull- up. And like what Rui has developed, a 8 foot pull-up fall away jumper. Martynas attacks well and has those pull-up jumpers. I would like to see Kispert develop that shot.

caldwellzag
09-20-2018, 11:13 AM
I was looking at the updated Schoolarship Table and was just in awe when I noticed next years team (on paper and without knowing some of the players futures), if ZN and BC both stay with this recruiting class coming in we are loaded. I highly highly doubt Rui comes back or Tillie (more likely than Rui, but not likely), but if they did come back for one more shot at a title (or better yet back to back titles) there would not be playing time for a top 50 recruit on that squad!!!

bballbeachbum
09-20-2018, 11:15 AM
What I always look for in videos of recruits is how they attack the basket. Millions upon millions of players can shoot the 3 point shot. I want to see if they have that pull-up jumper inside. I want to see a six foot pull-up, a ten and 12 foot pull- up. And like what Rui has developed, a 8 foot pull-up fall away jumper. Martynas attacks well and has those pull-up jumpers. I would like to see Kispert develop that shot.

agreed, and the vision

wow this is exciting! love that pic with Domas, kid Martynas is literally and figuratively looking up to him. awesome

zagbeliever
09-20-2018, 11:21 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MO1cIGr.jpg

I love how our former players represent! Welcome Martynas!

NotoriousZ
09-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Tommy Lloyd, thank you. Sabonis with the assist!

Welcome Martynas!

Zagdawg
09-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Pangos and Sabonis with the assists.

Welcome to the Zag family!

Zagdawg
09-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
13m13 minutes ago
More
Just spoke to Martynas Arlauskas and I'm updating previous article. Says he's 6-7, 200. Will play for Zalgiris' second team this season, but out for a while after surgery to repair stress fracture in foot.

maynard g krebs
09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Video reminds me a lot of Kispert.

ZagNative
09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Here is Meehan's article in the Spokesman-Review, updated after his conversation with Martynas: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/20/gonzaga-adds-to-2019-recruiting-class-with-wing-fr/

The 18-year-old Arlauskas has several connections to Gonzaga. He played for Zalgiris, seeing time on the club’s first and second teams. Arlauskas played at times with former Zag guard Kevin Pangos, who left Zalgiris after last season to join Barcelona. The teams practiced daily against each other.

“We talked a lot,” Arlauskas said. “Kevin told me all the great things about Gonzaga.”

Arlauskas’ father, Mindaugas, played for Zalgiris in the 1980s with Arvydas Sabonis, whose son Domantas was an All-American at GU before becoming an NBA lottery pick. Arvydas is president of the Lithuania Basketball Federation.

Arlauskas talked with Domantas at the Basketball Without Borders Camp in Los Angeles in February.

Illinois and Texas Tech also recruited Arlauskas, who visited GU in August.

“It’s like one big family,” Arlauskas said of Gonzaga. “I really loved the style of play. It’s like European basketball, team basketball. Everything about it is about the team.”

Arlauskas will play for Zalgiris’ second team this season but he’s sidelined for a few months after having surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot. He doesn’t receive a paycheck, which preserved the option of playing collegiately in the U.S.

“I wanted to try something else,” he said. “I wanted to try United States basketball, and I want to study more.”

Jstock12
09-20-2018, 02:25 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/fDzM81OYrNjJC/giphy.gif

ZagNative
09-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Hah! More Lithuanian bait to keep JStock12 tethered to GUboards.com!

Jstock12
09-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Hah! More Lithuanian bait to keep JStock12 tethered to GUboards.com!

Yeah, I'm quite excited :D Now that we know that he's going to GU, I hope he gets some playing time in the first Lithuanian league with the main Zalgiris team this season, just as he did last year, rotating between the 1st and 2nd teams. This way, we can actually witness a battle between a future Zag (Arlauskas) and a former Zag (McClellan).

ZagNative
09-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I'm quite excited :D Now that we know that he's going to GU, I hope he gets some playing time in the first Lithuanian league with the main Zalgiris team this season, just as he did last year, rotating between the 1st and 2nd teams. This way, we can actually witness a battle between a future Zag (Arlauskas) and a former Zag (McClellan).JStock, you are too much! Your knowledge and insight is such a boost to guboards!

Speaking of potential matchups between our alum Eric McClellan and our new recruit, Eric's team, BC Pieno žvaigždės is scheduled to face Zalgris in the Lithuanian league on September 22. I'll sure be watching. Link to the Lithuanian League board. (http://en.lkl.lt/)

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-20-2018, 04:44 PM
nice

like how he quickly transitions to defense...high motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzT2dbTSpk

lets hope stress fracture heals proper

He plays a bit like Tyler Haws with that length, agility, and the variety of scoring moves in the key. This kid could be a great one. The future is bright for Gonzaga hoops.

TexasZagFan
09-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I'm quite excited :D Now that we know that he's going to GU, I hope he gets some playing time in the first Lithuanian league with the main Zalgiris team this season, just as he did last year, rotating between the 1st and 2nd teams. This way, we can actually witness a battle between a future Zag (Arlauskas) and a former Zag (McClellan).

I can only surmise that this is a step up for Eric.

BobZag
09-20-2018, 06:44 PM
A Nigel caliber PG is key now for 2019, unless Dom Harris can reclassify. :-) Boogie would've been ideal. 2020 could be killer.

So, welcome Martynas to GU.

cggonzaga
09-20-2018, 07:06 PM

I think Watson has always leaned more towards the 4 spot. While he has gotten better on the perimeter he still has a long ways to go to play the 3 at the college level. He will be a Rui-esque 4.

Jstock12
09-21-2018, 11:15 AM
JStock, you are too much! Your knowledge and insight is such a boost to guboards!

Speaking of potential matchups between our alum Eric McClellan and our new recruit, Eric's team, BC Pieno žvaigždės is scheduled to face Zalgris in the Lithuanian league on September 22. I'll sure be watching. Link to the Lithuanian League board. (http://en.lkl.lt/)

Yeah! It's going to be streamed on LKL.lt I believe. But I think Martynas is still rehabbing the injury.

WallaWallaZag
09-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Video reminds me a lot of Kispert.

not as explosive but much quicker...imo, kispert's gotten too big ala pendergraft/heytvelt/gb2...at same stage, kispert a little better offensively/shooting but arlauskas better overall.

MickMick
09-22-2018, 01:00 AM
This is awesome!

raise the zag
09-22-2018, 06:16 AM
not as explosive but much quicker...imo, kispert's gotten too big ala pendergraft/heytvelt/gb2...at same stage, kispert a little better offensively/shooting but arlauskas better overall.

I understand this sentiment, and agree with it to some extent.

Although, I don't think Kispert can help it. He seemed born with muscle, his body just looks like it's designed to have been.

He looked like that by his Sophomore yr in HS.

Pendergraft was intent in putting on as much muscle as possible.

I don't necessarily think Kispert tries it, comes natural for him just by doing any resistant training.

bigblahla
09-22-2018, 07:01 AM
Love me some Pendo ..... should have been a 2 maybe a 3, sacrificed his offense for the TEAM's needs, toughest small 4-5 man I've ever seen.... most likely why he added the muscle to keep from getting bullied in the paint.

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
09-22-2018, 07:06 AM
I understand this sentiment, and agree with it to some extent.

Although, I don't think Kispert can help it. He seemed born with muscle, his body just looks like it's designed to have been.

He looked like that by his Sophomore yr in HS.

Pendergraft was intent in putting on as much muscle as possible.

I don't necessarily think Kispert tries it, comes natural for him just by doing any resistant training.

Yeah, Kispert would've made a heck of linebacker

bartruff1
09-22-2018, 08:03 AM
Martynas is a product of what Economists call a " Virtuous Circle "......when a series of favorable events leads to additional favorable events....kind of like compound interest.....that is why the rich get richer..... and Gonzaga has a huge recruiting advantage because of the success of prior players from Europa.... where everybody knows your name.....

MontanaCoyote
09-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Kid wears #24. Got to be a good omen, if you get my drift.

cjm720
09-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Kid is unbelievable. Such nice vision and touch. Makes the game look very easy. He’s going to play a lot from day 1.

JPtheBeasta
09-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Martynas is a product of what Economists call a " Virtuous Circle "......when a series of favorable events leads to additional favorable events....kind of like compound interest.....that is why the rich get richer..... and Gonzaga has a huge recruiting advantage because of the success of prior players from Europa.... where everybody knows your name.....

SMC has Australia. GU has all of Europe. I’ll take it.

I love that foreign players keep becoming Zags from the perspective of how enriching it must be to have teammates from all over the place with different customs and cultures. I think it must be team-building and friendship-forming.

bartruff1
09-22-2018, 10:00 AM
And now Japan....that picture of Rui with those beaming youngsters is very good marketing for Gonzaga......National Players like Shem and Sabonis and Ronnie will pay dividends for decades …..

DixieZag
09-22-2018, 10:17 AM
And now Japan....that picture of Rui with those beaming youngsters is very good marketing for Gonzaga......National Players like Shem and Sabonis and Ronnie will pay dividends for decades …..

Canada, in smaller doses. We're about due for another great Canadian.

This guy seems like a good basketball player.

Mike Hart might've made All Pac as linebacker, too.

WallaWallaZag
09-22-2018, 12:36 PM
I love the article, he is slotted at number 42 overall by 247 now!!!

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Lithuanian-star-Martynas-Arlauskas-commits-to-Gonzaga-122244716/

he looks good, but i question if #42 might not be a little high for him...247 only had tillie at #67 and imo tillie did and still does have more upside than arlauskas. there's also a bit of wait and see in terms of GU's ability to develop a euro wing/perimeter guy into a star player in college...in fact, who was the last euro star guard in the ncaa's??? greivis vasquez maybe? svi at kansas was supposed to be the second coming but he never made it past solid role player...

soccerdud
09-22-2018, 02:17 PM
he looks good, but i question if #42 might not be a little high for him...247 only had tillie at #67 and imo tillie did and still does have more upside than arlauskas. there's also a bit of wait and see in terms of GU's ability to develop a euro wing/perimeter guy into a star player in college...in fact, who was the last euro star guard in the ncaa's??? greivis vasquez maybe? svi at kansas was supposed to be the second coming but he never made it past solid role player...

worth noting, tho-- tillie's rating was severely depressed because he had barely played competitively for the previous year and a half due to multiple injuries.

also, welcome martynas!

thespywhozaggedme
09-22-2018, 02:37 PM

Vasquez is from Venezuela. I would say Svi fit the bill

ZagsGoZags
09-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Martynas' motor reminds me of Sabonis' motor

Zag_Dad
09-22-2018, 04:36 PM
A Nigel caliber PG is key now for 2019, unless Dom Harris can reclassify. :-) Boogie would've been ideal. 2020 could be killer.

So, welcome Martynas to GU.

Just curious. Has the Boogie ship sailed? I know he scheduled a visit to UNC when he was scheduled to see GU and has since received an offer from Duke. That doesnít look so good for us but I havenít heard that he is openly dropping GU from his list. Has anyone heard anything definitive?

Jstock12
09-27-2018, 06:15 AM
Some quotes from Martynas:

"I think that GU program was the closest thing to Europe. I've visited it and I really liked it. The University there is like a family - that's probably one thing that struck me the most. That unity, the one-for-all, all-for-one mentality. Such a surreal thing that during the whole three days while I was there, the both coaches together with their families came to meet me and get to know me, to have dinner with me, to talk about the future. The way they look at these things, it left a big impression on me."

"I found out that Coach Few is an assistant coach for Gregg Popovich on Team USA. That really impressed me and surprised me at the same time. Like the whole Gonzaga University, coach Few is a very uniting coach, has excellent relationships with his players, he's like a true friend to his players, but also a demanding coach. Very interesting personality."

"I talked about GU a little bit with Domas. But not much. But I've had very extensive talks with Kevin, who also studied there. Of course, I've also talked a lot about the decision with my parents. Domas and Kevin told me that the GU years were the best years of their life. They told me lots of great things."

JPtheBeasta
09-27-2018, 06:42 AM
Great ambassadors

caldwellzag
09-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Some quotes from Martynas:

"I think that GU program was the closest thing to Europe. I've visited it and I really liked it. The University there is like a family - that's probably one thing that struck me the most. That unity, the one-for-all, all-for-one mentality. Such a surreal thing that during the whole three days while I was there, the both coaches together with their families came to meet me and get to know me, to have dinner with me, to talk about the future. The way they look at these things, it left a big impression on me."

"I found out that Coach Few is an assistant coach for Gregg Popovich on Team USA. That really impressed me and surprised me at the same time. Like the whole Gonzaga University, coach Few is a very uniting coach, has excellent relationships with his players, he's like a true friend to his players, but also a demanding coach. Very interesting personality."

"I talked about GU a little bit with Domas. But not much. But I've had very extensive talks with Kevin, who also studied there. Of course, I've also talked a lot about the decision with my parents. Domas and Kevin told me that the GU years were the best years of their life. They told me lots of great things."

Great stuff! We have a great international footprint and it is giving back each year now!

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-31-2019, 02:20 AM
Any news regarding this young man?

Has the stress fracture healed?

caldwellzag
01-31-2019, 07:04 AM
Any news regarding this young man?

Has the stress fracture healed?

I have not heard anything on him here lately, but I know this year was all about getting healthy for him, so I am sure it is.