View Full Version : Rui Playing in FIBA WC Asian Qualifiers This Month

Zagdawg
09-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Yoko Miyaji

@YokoMiyajiE
12m12 minutes ago
More
Japan NT Head Coach Julio Lamas announced yesterday that both Yuta Watanabe (Memphis Grizzlies/2way contract) and Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga) will play FIBA WC Asian qualifiers this month. Japan is scheduled to play in Kazakhstan on Sep 13th and vs Iran on Sep 17th in Tokyo.

strikenowhere
09-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Yoko Miyaji

@YokoMiyajiE
12m12 minutes ago
More
Japan NT Head Coach Julio Lamas announced yesterday that both Yuta Watanabe (Memphis Grizzlies/2way contract) and Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga) will play FIBA WC Asian qualifiers this month. Japan is scheduled to play in Kazakhstan on Sep 13th and vs Iran on Sep 17th in Tokyo.

Please no injuries, please no injuries, please no injuries...:pray:

ZagNative
09-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Good to see. I've been trying to track down news of Zags in the September FIBA Qualifiers, but so far I haven't found much. Here's what I know:

Sabonis, Lithuania: I read someplace that he's not planning to join the team in September.
Pangos, Canada: Read in a Spanish language story that Pangos is planning to play for Team Canada
Karnowski: No news yet about whether he'll be on the Polish squad, but I doubt it. He appears to be rehabbing an ACL injury in Poland.
Olynyk: No news yet, but I'll be surprised if he's not on the roster for Canada

Team USA's roster doesn't include David Stockton.

Zagdawg
09-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Yuta Watanabe 渡邊 雄太

Verified account

I will return with Louis as a representative Japan this wondow4 @rui_8mura! I think it will probably be the last day of the confluence, I'm really looking forward to the national team!! I play my best as a Japan representative!

jazzdelmar
09-04-2018, 03:11 AM
How many classes missed?

JAGzag
09-04-2018, 03:29 AM
Ugh. Can’t see how this helps the TEAM. Understand there were probably concessions from the staff when Rui came here on playing with the National Team, but I would much rather have him home with the team getting ready for a promising season.

Bogozags
09-04-2018, 03:45 AM
How many classes missed?

Jazz I would think in this day and age, he is keeping up on-line...or at least I'm hoping so...

What I don't understand is that Pro leagues world wide are starting up now so why not have these qualifiers in late spring and summer?

jazzdelmar
09-04-2018, 04:03 AM
Jazz I would think in this day and age, he is keeping up on-line...or at least I'm hoping so...

What I don't understand is that Pro leagues world wide are starting up now so why not have these qualifiers in late spring and summer?

Maybe but this kind of comp during the school year is a net negative IMO. These are not road trips to LA but multi-day excursions with all sorts of time/space adjustments. He’s not a pro yet.

Zagceo
09-04-2018, 04:35 AM
not to play would hurt the Brand

Japanese advertisers queueing up for a piece of the Rui Ride.

just my opinion

raise the zag
09-04-2018, 04:44 AM
Representing and playing for your National Team during the Summer/off-season is one thing, yet during the school year (& player-run practices) as a student athlete is another...

What's next?

Playing over Christmas break or b/w games mid-season? Is this much different?

Practice officially starts beginning of October, yet individual drills with Coaches and PRP's are occurring all throughout September.

These national games with his home country are certainly an honor, and fully supported, yet not during School year. Isn't this what the Summer is for???

MAYBE if they had continued to advance, win, and compete, yet Japan is likely going to get beat and Rui isn't getting better playing w/them, imho. Additionally, He seemed to regress a bit following FIBA this year as he plays 5 positions for Japan.

I view this as an unnecessary risk this close to the season, and have a feeling most schools wouldn't allow this, as our "season" began once all the kids returned to campus.

For instance, Rui rolled his ankle playing in July, at least minor injuries can heal before October. Playing in these national tournaments just a week or two before practice starts? I don't see the rational here, esp a month into the school year.

jazzdelmar
09-04-2018, 05:11 AM
Representing and playing for your National Team during the Summer/off-season is one thing, yet during the school year (& player-run practices) as a student athlete is another...

What's next?

Playing over Christmas break or b/w games mid-season? Is this much different?

Practice officially starts beginning of October, yet individual drills with Coaches and PRP's are occurring all throughout September.

These national games with his home country are certainly an honor, and fully supported, yet not during School year. Isn't this what the Summer is for???

MAYBE if they had continued to advance, win, and compete, yet Japan is likely going to get beat and Rui isn't getting better playing w/them, imho. Additionally, He seemed to regress a bit following FIBA this year as he plays 5 positions for Japan.

I view this as an unnecessary risk this close to the season, and have a feeling most schools wouldn't allow this, as our "season" began once all the kids returned to campus.

For instance, Rui rolled his ankle playing in July, at least minor injuries can heal before October. Playing in these national tournaments just a week or two before practice starts? I don't see the rational here, esp a month into the school year.

Spot on, Raise. Pecuniary concerns notwithstanding.

TexasZag
09-04-2018, 05:42 AM
Apparently, I'm of a different mindset than that of the lifers, but such is life. Anyway, I tend to see no issue with it. He's a student-athlete, not a pro. And competitive college basketball, while a cash cow for the school, is just a game. When I first joined this forum several years ago, it seemed to me that the consensus placed a priority on individual character and while we all wanted to see the team win and be successful, success in the NT was secondary. I wonder if our hanging around in the latter weekends of the tournament of-late hasn't shifted the narrative a little. Anyway, Rui is also a Japanese citizen. He appears to want to represent his country, which most in here would applaud if it were one of our own honoring his personal commitment to the flag.

As for the risk of injury, it's not like he's out there doing crazy-risky stuff unrelated to basketball. He could just as easily roll his ankle working out in Spokane. Assuming he's worked all of these details out with the coaching staff beforehand, this comes as no surprise to the team. They likely thought it was a modest concession to get him to GU in the first place. Regardless, a Rui-less team for a few games because of injury is still far better than a team that never had him on the roster in the first place. Besides--and assuming he's ready for the challenge, being a little less deep in the frontcourt early in the season could be a blessing for Filip. He'd get to cut his teeth playing more substantial minutes against some of the best teams in the country. He'd definitely have a better understanding of what it will take to compete in March.

These are just my thoughts. I'm just offering a different perspective and not looking to offend the resident "brain-trust".

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-04-2018, 05:49 AM
Rui playing for Japan is a decision that likely required several steps:
1) Japanese national team inviting him to play
2) Rui wanting to play
3) Coach Few allowing him to play / miss time w team
4) Academic advisor(s) providing Few assurance doing so will not jeopardize his academic standing

Assuming all of the above, I am 100% happy for him and excited to see how they do.

jazzdelmar
09-04-2018, 05:50 AM
Though passionate and sincere, this is sure convoluted thinking, Tex. Correct me if I’m wrong, but are you asserting the chance of a minor injury to Rui would be a boon to the Filip and the team? Tell me that’s not what you mean. I am sure the young man is torn. But it seems his #1 priority now is GU and prepping for the season. Especially since we aren’t talking about Olympic trials here.

Apparently, I'm of a different mindset than that of the lifers, but such is life. Anyway, I tend to see no issue with it. He's a student-athlete, not a pro. And competitive college basketball, while a cash cow for the school, is just a game. When I first joined this forum several years ago, it seemed to me that the consensus placed a priority on individual character and while we all wanted to see the team win and be successful, success in the NT was secondary. I wonder if our hanging around in the latter weekends of the tournament of-late hasn't shifted the narrative a little. Anyway, Rui is also a Japanese citizen. He appears to want to represent his country, which most in here would applaud if it were one of our own honoring his personal commitment to the flag.

As for the risk of injury, it's not like he's out there doing crazy-risky stuff unrelated to basketball. He could just as easily roll his ankle working out in Spokane. Assuming he's worked all of these details out with the coaching staff beforehand, this comes as no surprise to the team. They likely thought it was a modest concession to get him to GU in the first place. Regardless, a Rui-less team for a few games because of injury is still far better than a team that never had him on the roster in the first place. Besides--and assuming he's ready for the challenge, being a little less deep in the frontcourt early in the season could be a blessing for Filip. He'd get to cut his teeth playing more substantial minutes against some of the best teams in the country. He'd definitely have a better understanding of what it will take to compete in March.

These are just my thoughts. I'm just offering a different perspective and not looking to offend the resident "brain-trust".

Robzagnut
09-04-2018, 06:53 AM

Agree +100

His country should always be a higher priority than his school, especially when he can do both.

Bogozags
09-04-2018, 07:45 AM

TZ I agree and have stated that before when several of our players would play overseas in these types of games...

Playing for GU has to be a win-win for BOTH parties not just GU...he is young and will only be young once and needs to experience as much as he can during this time and representing ones country far out weighs his "loyalty" for GU. I can't imagine any of us having this opportunity and then saying, "No, I need to by-pass and practice with my college team." I for one would forgo playing for my college to represent my country. No one plans to get injured but sheet happens - your fault, my fault nobodies fault...

Besides, as TZ stated this was most probably discussed well in advance of his playing...it is a win-win and his goals are not necessary our goals...

Go Zags!!!!

GoZags
09-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Good luck Rui,

Very proud of you.

bartruff1
09-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Good luck Rui,

Very proud of you.

Me too...

raise the zag
09-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Good luck Rui,

Very proud of you.

Ditto.

I am excited and happy for Rui. A great honor and something to be proud of -- I just don't like the timing of it all, based on his current situation/commitment.

But what can one do? Just support him and hope for the best.

TexasZag
09-04-2018, 09:32 AM
...a minor injury to Rui would be a boon to the Filip and the team?

If you had read what I wrote, then this question would have never been asked. To paraphrase, what I said was that a situation that affords Filip more playing time early on against high-caliber competition, before crunch time (i.e., March), is good for him (and since you went there, by extension, the team), theoretically making him a little better prepared for the post season; especially if circumstances dictate that we really need him to step up. I NEVER said that an injury to Rui was a boon to the team.

There are no guarantees, when it comes to human performance. Human beings, aside from all that they are, are not plug-and-play components in a gaming console or computer. Specific inputs do not guarantee outputs. It's best to eliminate some of the things that are known to interfere with human performance (e.g., stress, anxiety, lack of repetition), when the opportunity presents itself.

That is all. Again, my opinion.

ZagNative
09-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Bryan Alberts is again playing for the Netherlands team (https://basketballleague.nl/nieuws/4226) and Kevin Pangos and Kelly Olynyk are confirmed for Team Canada (https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/733554/kevin-pangos-highlights-canadas-world-cup-qualifiers-roster/).

Goshzagit
09-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Bryan Alberts is again playing for the Netherlands team (https://basketballleague.nl/nieuws/4226) and Kevin Pangos and Kelly Olynyk are confirmed for Team Canada (https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/733554/kevin-pangos-highlights-canadas-world-cup-qualifiers-roster/).

Speaking of, I'd be curious to know if Rui is the only NCAA D1 player participating in this set of World Cup qualifiers?

All other players mentioned are either Professional, NBA, or Free Agents.

bdmiller7
09-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Speaking of, I'd be curious to know if Rui is the only NCAA D1 player participating in this set of World Cup qualifiers?

All other players mentioned are either Professional, NBA, or Free Agents.

Bryan Alberts is a senior at LBSU.

Goshzagit
09-04-2018, 11:45 AM

wow. did not realize.

he arrived at Gonzaga for the 2014 season and still going strong! It appears he had a pretty nice season last yr

Zagdawg
09-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Olynyk and Pangos playing for Canada.

https://theprovince.com/pmn/sports-pmn/thompson-olynyk-joseph-among-canadas-6-nba-players-for-world-cup-qualifying/wcm/0a14e76e-7a30-4642-8c0a-8cc676c43030

sittingon50
09-04-2018, 12:04 PM
The risk of injury is everywhere. Shem's back injury was caused by a fall in the Kennel during PRACTICE.

Good Luck Rui.

OntZags
09-04-2018, 12:39 PM

Japan is very much alive in World Cup qualifying, I don't know where you got any idea they were done or had no chance to continue. They will probably be favoured in the Kazakhstan game (or at least a coin flip) and a win there ties them with Kazahkstan for fourth in their group. (which is the bubble spot they need to be in to have a chance)

Iran will be much tougher but they did upset a reasonably well staffed Australian team so that game is not a guaranteed loss. And a loss there doesn't eliminate as there are still two more qualifying windows.

I don't see the rational here, esp a month into the school year.

Practices haven't started yet and Rui is the literal face of Japanese basketball. He is still getting to play in some high-level, high-presure games. Injuries can just as easily happen in Spokane or during Sweet Sixteen practices as they can in FIBA competition so fretting over that is nonsensical.

Also, have you considered that one of the reasons Gonzaga recruits so well internationally is because we've built strong relationships with the national programs? It's a give and take deal here and letting Rui play a few games in early September does more to engender good will with national programs moving forward.

Trust the staff and consider the bigger picture.

OntZags
09-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Olynyk and Pangos playing for Canada.

https://theprovince.com/pmn/sports-pmn/thompson-olynyk-joseph-among-canadas-6-nba-players-for-world-cup-qualifying/wcm/0a14e76e-7a30-4642-8c0a-8cc676c43030

Man, I wish this game was in Toronto instead of Montreal. I was hoping to see some Pangos to Olynyk action in person earlier this summer when they played the DR but Pangos' contract uncertainty ruled him out. Love that Kelly O always answers the call for Canada. :cheers:

Looking at who is available this window, I'm thinking there is a decent chance he may start alongside Cory Joseph in a 2 pg lineup. Still kinda surprised he has opted to play for Canada as I thought he might he consider choosing Slovenia instead as he would have had an easier go of cracking their A lineup consistently and had the opportunity to play with a potential generational talent in Doncic but I'm happy he bleeds
too much red and white. :) Hopefully he plays so well that when Canada has their lineup at their disposal they still have no choice but to include him.

maynard g krebs
09-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Best post in the thread imo. Agree 100%.

I'd guess the majority of injuries happen in practices/scrimmages/ offseason pickup games etc anyway; chances of injury not significantly greater than playing informal games in Spokane.

willandi
09-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Best post in the thread imo. Agree 100%.

I'd guess the majority of injuries happen in practices/scrimmages/ offseason pickup games etc anyway; chances of injury not significantly greater than playing informal games in Spokane.

Unless they are facing a team like the Philippines where one team knows they have no chance unless they play thuggish ball. THEN the possibility for injury goes way up.

maynard g krebs
09-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Unless they are facing a team like the Philippines where one team knows they have no chance unless they play thuggish ball

Good point. BYU, LMU, Pacific all gonna do that in the league season though.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Bryan Alberts always seemed to me to be a rock solid character guy who handled things with class and dignity. His decision to transfer strikes me as a healthy kind of confidence...”I’m good enough to play major minutes in D1 ball so I’m gonna do what I need to do to go get some minutes.” He is a great Zag and I hope he and LBSU have a fantastic season.

Zagceo
09-05-2018, 05:38 AM
Hope Rui and his family are safe from the recent Typhoon that hit Japan.

ZagNative
09-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Ira Brown is also listed on Japan's 25-man squad invited to try out, as is Nick Fazekas, who I assume will get the slot. (FIBA story: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/news/lamas-recalls-fazekas-and-hachimura-for-asian-qualifiers-fourth-window)

Guy Landry Edi is on the Ivory Coast's invited team.

Edit: Re Ira Brown and Nick Fazekas (both naturalized citizens of Japan)on Japan's squad: ""A national team participating in a Competition of FIBA may have only one player on its team who has acquired the legal nationality of that country by naturalisation or by any other means after having reached the age of sixteen" (Book 3, Chapter 1, Article 21.a)[5"

hooter73
09-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Unless they are facing a team like the Philippines where one team knows they have no chance unless they play thuggish ball. THEN the possibility for injury goes way up.

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!

Its why i hate playing the bottom feeders as many times as we do. They get down and frustrated and begin making dumb decisions. Weve seen it time and again, but no, lets stay in the WCC...

Mojo13
09-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Man, I wish this game was in Toronto instead of Montreal. I was hoping to see some Pangos to Olynyk action in person earlier this summer when they played the DR but Pangos' contract uncertainty ruled him out. Love that Kelly O always answers the call for Canada. :cheers:

Looking at who is available this window, I'm thinking there is a decent chance he may start alongside Cory Joseph in a 2 pg lineup. Still kinda surprised he has opted to play for Canada as I thought he might he consider choosing Slovenia instead as he would have had an easier go of cracking their A lineup consistently and had the opportunity to play with a potential generational talent in Doncic but I'm happy he bleeds
too much red and white. :) Hopefully he plays so well that when Canada has their lineup at their disposal they still have no choice but to include him.

Pangos was never going to play for Slovenia. He negotiated into his Barcelona contract that he could play this window for Canada. He almost played in July as well, but his contract wasn't finalized in time. He has played loads of SG in Europe and will be fine starting next to Cory Joseph (who also plays some SG in the NBA).

Frankly Pangos is a top 2-3 PG for Canada in FIBA ball right after CoJo and Murray (IMO) and KP should have no problem making any Canadian team.
You really need high level FIBA players to round out a roster - to bring FIBA understanding and experience to the NBA guys. I'd make room for Pangos and Melvin Ejim even if I had full NBA turnout (maybe Phil Scrubb too). I hear constantly that Ejim, Scrubb and other FIBA guys are coaching the NBA guys on the nuances of FIBA game style and unique rules. A few of our top Euro pros need to be on any Canadian team and I'd put KP in our top 12 regardless (but there are a slew of young guards coming through the pipeline right now).

Mojo13
09-07-2018, 10:25 AM
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!

Its why i hate playing the bottom feeders as many times as we do. They get down and frustrated and begin making dumb decisions. Weve seen it time and again, but no, lets stay in the WCC...

The Philippines is no bottom feeder in Asia. I believe the poster is referencing the donnybrook they got into with Australia in the last window. This had other factors that led up to it besides the game being a blow out. No defense of the horrible, thuggish behavior by the Philippines - but they'd likely be favored over Japan is my point.

ZagNative
09-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Here's my calendar of reminders for Zags games in the FIBA world championship qualifiers in September:

https://i.imgur.com/2ke3xnC.jpg

*Alberts, of course, is Bryan Alberts, who is playing for the Netherlands team.

Live scores will be available here:

Canada, FIBA Americas: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/americas-qualifiers

Japan, FIBA Asia: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers

Netherlands, FIBA Europe: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/european-qualifiers

Ivory Coast, FIBA Africa: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/african-qualifiers

The games can be viewed live on ESPN+, which is available for $5.42 per month.

ZagNative
09-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Standings of Zags' teams in the FIBA World Cup qualifiers:

Canada:

https://i.imgur.com/21m7TMo.jpg

Ivory Coast:

https://i.imgur.com/QRUdFDd.jpg

Netherlands:

https://i.imgur.com/yrhD6SM.jpg

Japan:

https://i.imgur.com/fsjuGfG.jpg

kitzbuel
09-09-2018, 02:54 AM
No Domantus?

OntZags
09-09-2018, 03:19 AM
No Domantus?

Very few NBA players are playing in this window.

kitzbuel
09-09-2018, 05:09 AM
Very few NBA players are playing in this window.Thanks. That is what I figured. Somewhat surprised to see Olynyk listed as playing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

OntZags
09-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Thanks. That is what I figured. Somewhat surprised to see Olynyk listed as playing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

KO's been super committed to Basketball Canada and really wants to see Canada through to the major tournaments. If they can finally qualify and bring out a full lineup, they would be a real medal threat.

Canada was pretty fortunate to get 4 nbaers this window along with Pangos.

Kemo 1966
09-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Good point. BYU, LMU, Pacific all gonna do that in the league season though.

Perfect example why WCC fans are losing respect for the GU fan base! I've watched every game Pacific has played GU since we re-entered the WCC and the ONLY INSTANCE of so called "thuggish ball" came at a game in Stockton, a GU reserve player slugged a Tiger below the belt, intentionally as replay showed... the telling factor, FEW took him out as soon as he could, and he didn't see the floor thereafter! I've heard nothing but respect for Tiger players from GU players in the past. I hope your team succeeds this year, naturally I'll be rooting for Pacific when they meet the tigers! Your "Whining" about the WCC is getting OLD! IMO

ZagsObserver
09-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Perfect example why WCC fans are losing respect for the GU fan base! I've watched every game Pacific has played GU since we re-entered the WCC and the ONLY INSTANCE of so called "thuggish ball" came at a game in Stockton, a GU reserve player slugged a Tiger below the belt, intentionally as replay showed... the telling factor, FEW took him out as soon as he could, and he didn't see the floor thereafter! I've heard nothing but respect for Tiger players from GU players in the past. I hope your team succeeds this year, naturally I'll be rooting for Pacific when they meet the tigers! Your "Whining" about the WCC is getting OLD! IMO

Agreed. This is the first accusation I can recall other than BYU, however. Even the “thug” comments regarding BYU are old, though,and predominantly unfounded.

maynard g krebs
09-09-2018, 03:44 PM

I don't represent the GU fan base as a whole, nor do I represent their collective opinion. Please reserve your judgment for me and me alone. I'm fine with that, as well as with what I said. Thanks.

maynard g krebs
09-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Agreed. This is the first accusation I can recall other than BYU, however. Even the “thug” comments regarding BYU are old, though,and predominantly unfounded.

Ask Larry Krystkowiak (sp?) if he thinks they're unfounded. He stopped playing them (may have since restarted, I'm not sure) because he didn't want Utah's players hurt.

ZagsObserver
09-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Ask Larry Krystkowiak (sp?) if he thinks they're unfounded. He stopped playing them (may have since restarted, I'm not sure) because he didn't want Utah's players hurt.

Bad blood between those programs, and that’s been the case for a long time. Larry couldn’t handle the pressure more than anything. At any rate, it’s not reflective of their play against us anymore than Elias Harris’s infamous push is a reflection of GU sportsmanship.

Teams with truly systemic unsportsmanlike conduct typically have coaches who breed that culture. That is certainly not coach Rose.

ZagsObserver
09-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Back to the thread topic: Proud of you, Rui. Way to represent your country!

bballbeachbum
09-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Bad blood between those programs, and that’s been the case for a long time. Larry couldn’t handle the pressure more than anything. At any rate, it’s not reflective of their play against us anymore than Elias Harris’s infamous push is a reflection of GU sportsmanship.

Teams with truly systemic unsportsmanlike conduct typically have coaches who breed that culture. That is certainly not coach Rose.

other views of BYU sports here https://www.ksl.com/?sid=38204144&nid=272

did you watch Rose play during Phi Slamma Jamma? he did the dirty work, not a dark arts virgin

bballbeachbum
09-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Back to the thread topic: Proud of you, Rui. Way to represent your country!

+1

sullyzag66
09-09-2018, 10:18 PM

BYU at University of Portland season before last.

https://youtu.be/zaxNdBdySZ4

ZagsObserver
09-10-2018, 04:36 AM
Oh, please. That isn’t even as bad as what Harris did.

GoZags
09-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Oh, please. That isn’t even as bad as what Harris did.

For someone who didn't want to derail the Rui thread, you've done a GREAT job of derailing ..... And since you've continued your "non" effort to derail, I'll chime in. I don't recall any Zag publications doing a cartoon after Elias' one (1) career technical for an elbow above the shoulders. BYU otoh ....

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/2013-03-01-2013-3-1-Blood-Runs-Blue_zps3gtzbfkv.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/2013-03-01-2013-3-1-Blood-Runs-Blue_zps3gtzbfkv.jpg.html)

ZagsObserver
09-10-2018, 06:24 AM
For someone who didn't want to derail the Rui thread, you've done a GREAT job of derailing ..... And since you've continued your "non" effort to derail, I'll chime in. I don't recall any Zag publications doing a cartoon after Elias' one (1) career technical for an elbow above the shoulders. BYU otoh ....

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/2013-03-01-2013-3-1-Blood-Runs-Blue_zps3gtzbfkv.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/2013-03-01-2013-3-1-Blood-Runs-Blue_zps3gtzbfkv.jpg.html)

Just a guess, but if Kafusi wasn’t a football player I wonder if this cartoon would have been created. Btw, I was referring to Harris’s shove and immediate ejection.

It’s a matter of examining yourself before passing judgment on others. I was attempting to right that ship. I have seen statements from posters representing probably half the WCC now who have complained about self-righteous GU posters. If others can clearly see this tendency, we ought to pay attention to it. That’s all from me on this topic. Harris is one of my all-time favorite Zags, btw.

Go, Rui!

TexasZagFan
09-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Just a guess, but if Kafusi wasn’t a football player I wonder if this cartoon would have been created. Btw, I was referring to Harris’s shove and immediate ejection.

It’s a matter of examining yourself before passing judgment on others. I was attempting to right that ship. I have seen statements from posters representing probably half the WCC now who have complained about self-righteous GU posters. If others can clearly see this tendency, we ought to pay attention to it. That’s all from me on this topic. Harris is one of my all-time favorite Zags, btw.

Go, Rui!

I could give a hoot about what “half the league” says about us self righteous Zag fans. And on a Rui thread? Barf !

ZagNative
09-10-2018, 05:12 PM
I could give a hoot about what “half the league” says about us self righteous Zag fans. And on a Rui thread? Barf !Gawdalmighty! Agreed! What a way to sabotage a thread! Can we please knock off all the crap not about FIBA World Cup Qualifiers?

Anyone got any guesses about who will win these first games in the series?

Rui's Japan (W/L record 2-4) vs. Kazakhstan (W/L 3-3). Rui didn't play in the first two games, which Japan lost.
Olynyk and Pangos' Canada (5-1) vs. Brazil (5-1)
Alberts' Netherlands (3-3) vs. Hungary (3-3)
Landry-Edi's Ivory Coast (2-4) vs. Nigeria (6-0)

I'm betting the Zags guys win all of them, except Guy Landry Edi's Ivory Coast vs. Nigeria.

Zagdawg
09-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Gonzaga Guru

@GonzagaGuru
16m16 minutes ago
More Gonzaga Guru Retweeted 日本バスケットボール協会(JBA)
Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura and Ira Brown make the final 12-man cut for the Japanese National team for the FIBA World Cup qualifiers! #BeAZag #ZagUp @rui_8mura

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1039919685867692033

thespywhozaggedme
09-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Gonzaga Guru

@GonzagaGuru
16m16 minutes ago
More Gonzaga Guru Retweeted 日本バスケットボール協会(JBA)
Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura and Ira Brown make the final 12-man cut for the Japanese National team for the FIBA World Cup qualifiers! #BeAZag #ZagUp @rui_8mura

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1039919685867692033

Over Fazekas? That's a shocker considering he's their best player.

Skimhvn
09-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Over Fazekas? That's a shocker considering he's their best player.

Fazekas just had an operation on his leg now.

Zagceo
09-13-2018, 06:53 AM
Rui got 17 @ half and Japan leads by 15

he also played the most

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/1309/Kazakhstan-Japan#tab=boxscore

IowaSERE
09-13-2018, 07:22 AM
22/5 SO FAR!

Zagdawg
09-13-2018, 07:23 AM
After 3 quarters -- Japan leads 70-50 -- Rui with 22 pts and 5 boards and Ira with 9 and 8.

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Fazekas just had an operation on his leg now.

Ah, ok. Thanks

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 07:59 AM
Rui finished with 24/7, lead the team in both categories.

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/1309/Kazakhstan-Japan#tab=boxscore

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 08:02 AM
https://i.imgur.com/3yLsy8s.jpg

Ira Brown:

http://www.fiba.basketball/api/img/graphic/0a889810-2885-4732-ae62-78dcda1025ca/1000/1000?mt=.jpg

Rui Hachimura:

http://www.fiba.basketball/api/img/graphic/bc3ba58f-fe55-475a-8e19-1651ddee635b/1000/1000?mt=.jpg

OntZags
09-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Big win for Japan, Rui finishes with 24/7. This puts them tied with Kazakhstan for fourth at 3-4. Top 3 in each group qualify and the best 4th place finisher.

If they can upset Iran on Monday in Tokyo , they would be in decent enough shape to qualify for the World Cup. Still an uphill climb but they have a shot. Apparently the game is sold out so it'll be an electric atmosphere for Rui to play in. Awesome experience for him.

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 08:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD5TzazcYjE

Markburn1
09-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Rui finished with 24/7, lead the team in both categories.

Close. Gotta give some love to Ira Brown. Eight boards.

willandi
09-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Good news, bad news, good news.

Looks like he may have re-found the touch at the FT line, so that is good news.

0-2 from 3 so that is bad news in that it doesn't stretch the defense.

o-2 from 3 so that is good news because it cracks the door ever so slightly on a possible return next year.

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 09:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhaJglSuUHY

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 09:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl3rNdGazkc

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 09:55 AM

o-2 from 3 so that is good news because it cracks the door ever so slightly on a possible return next year.

He's a lottery pick. He's not coming back. Let's enjoy him while he's here.

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 09:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhaJglSuUHY

Ira's dunk at 41 seconds!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Worthington
09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
A good day for the Zags so far! Hopefully Pangos goes off tonight as well!

sittingon50
09-13-2018, 10:35 AM

And Olynyk?

BobZag
09-13-2018, 10:40 AM

And Wiltjer.

willandi
09-13-2018, 10:46 AM
He's a lottery pick. He's not coming back. Let's enjoy him while he's here.

Probably right. HOWEVER, I am allowed my opinion. I did say it cracks the door ever so slightly.

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Here's a helpful preview of the Canada-Brazil game from the FIBA website: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/americas-qualifiers/news/canada-vs-brazil-titans-clash-in-group-f-opening

Note that it reports that Duke phenom RJ Barrett is not playing this round, due to commitments to Duke. (Boo, Coach K!)

Linked in that story is this video of KO highlights from Round 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=152&v=E47QOaLIxFU

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Probably right. HOWEVER, I am allowed my opinion. I did say it cracks the door ever so slightly.

Of course you are. But he's projected #10 on 2 different mocks and that's before the season even starts:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/09/12/early-2019-nba-mock-draft/#2f85b87619eb

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
And Wiltjer.

He's not on the Canadian roster:

Aaron Best Guard 6'4"
Khem Birch Centre 6'9"
Manny Diressa Guard 6’4”
Melvin Ejim Forward 6'6"
Brady Heslip Guard 6'2"
Justin Jackson Forward 6'7"
Cory Joseph Guard 6'3"
Kaza Kajami-Keane Guard 6'2"
Kelly Olynyk Centre 7'0"
Kevin Pangos Guard 6’2”
Dyshawn Pierre Forward 6’6”
Tristan Thompson Forward 6'9"

http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/roster-announced-for-thursdays-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-am

willandi
09-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Of course you are. But he's projected #10 on 2 different mocks and that's before the season even starts:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/09/12/early-2019-nba-mock-draft/#2f85b87619eb

See. Even they aren't 100% positive.

thespywhozaggedme
09-13-2018, 12:53 PM
See. Even they aren't 100% positive.

Ha!

Worthington
09-13-2018, 01:59 PM
And Olynyk?

D'oh forgot about KO

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Game is on: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/americas-qualifiers/game/1309/Canada-Brazil#tab=boxscore

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 04:20 PM
At the half, Canada leading 41-33:

https://i.imgur.com/5r8DcXB.jpg

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Terrific game for KO, with Canada winning it 85-77. Brazil was definitely pesky....

https://i.imgur.com/AhFWhWA.jpg

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Meb_wFuKU

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-13-2018, 05:40 PM

That was a nasty dunk! Love that Ira and Rui are ballin together on a big stage. Methinks the confident attitude Ira plays with - how he just power dunks on people - will be a very good influence on Rui. Like Ira gets a couple games to show Rui: it’s ok young fella, let loose and play like this for the Zags this year!!

soccerdud
09-13-2018, 06:02 PM
wonder if any american college is better represented in these competitions than we are.

heck, we even had DS on the USA senior men's team for this world cup qualifying cycle.

eta: flex, i made some room in my inbox. sorry about that.

ZagNative
09-13-2018, 06:04 PM
From the Canada-Brazil press conference, it sounds as if Kelly and Kevin won't be joining the team in the next game in Chile on Monday Sept. 17. Dang!

Edited to add: Looks like Canada will be playing with a limited squad for the next several games, due to NBA and other team restrictions. Too bad ...

scrooner
09-13-2018, 10:05 PM

#4 on Sportscenter Top 10.

sittingon50
09-13-2018, 11:07 PM
20 & 19 for Kelly O.

Way to do work!

OntZags
09-14-2018, 08:02 AM
From the Canada-Brazil press conference, it sounds as if Kelly and Kevin won't be joining the team in the next game in Chile on Monday Sept. 17. Dang!

Edited to add: Looks like Canada will be playing with a limited squad for the next several games, due to NBA and other team restrictions. Too bad ...

It's unfortunate but that's kind of the case for everybody, although obviously it affects Canada more than say Chile. Hopefully FIBA and the NBA/EL can figure out a better solution moving forward.

That said, Canada is in very strong shape with that win. With two home games versus Chile/Venezuela still to come, they should pull through with their Gleague/non Euroleague guys.

DixieZag
09-14-2018, 08:47 AM
From the box score, Canada looks much like a good Zag team (with 2 Zags even) in that they had 6 guys with double digit scoring, really amazing distribution.

Love cheering for my native land.

BobZag
09-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Which would be worse, caught out in the water with four or five Great White Sharks, or caught out in the water with hundreds of piranhas?

soccerdud
09-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Which would be worse, caught out in the water with four or five Great White Sharks, or caught out in the water with hundreds of piranhas?

not sure it would make a lick of difference to me.

TexasZagFan
09-14-2018, 11:49 AM

Would undoubtedly achieve the same end as the ill-fated Snuffy the Seal.

Zagceo
09-14-2018, 01:16 PM

cold water worse

Bogozags
09-14-2018, 03:20 PM

His poor 3-pt shooting is not a good sign for him or us this coming season...maybe it is just one game so there might be hope! The 3pt shot is where he will make his money in the NBA or have a short career, because he won't be playing the PF position in the NBA...

Zagdawg
09-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Rui has not been a good 3 pt shooter for his career -- for Japan he plays forward and as a Zag he is only a 23% 3 pt shooter for his career (while shooting 19% last year shooting 5 for 26). Definitely an area of opportunity for him if he wants to jump to the pros. His off season is filled up with activities -- he needs to make time to get the reps in shooting 3's as it will improve his draft and NBA staying power.

ZagNative
09-15-2018, 04:22 PM
I don't think I've seen this FIBA story about Rui posted yet: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/news/i-pattern-my-game-after-kawhi-and-giannis-rui-hachimura

https://i.imgur.com/hISgNvj.jpg

His combination of size, mobility, athleticism and power is a rarity in Japanese basketball, and perhaps not since the days of Michael Takahashi have the Japanese fans seen someone play the way Hachimura does.

The current Gonzaga Bulldog, though, knows he still has a long way to go to be among Asia's bona fide elite players, and to get there, he has chosen two excellent models after whom he is trying to pattern his style of play.

"The players I really like are Kawhi Leonard and Giannis Antetokounmpo," he bared. "I am trying to pattern my style after those two players."

The parallels are clear. Like those two top tier NBA stars, Hachimura has all the physical tools to be a dominant player in his position. Like Kawhi, Hachimura is a tough defender whether it's at the perimeter or in the paint. Like Giannis, Hachimura can run the break on his own or finish with authority against even bigger foes.
He is a tremendous physical specimen whose potential to be an outstanding two-way player for Japan is unprecedented, which is why a lot of his fans are hoping they'll see him one day join the NBA Draft and be the first Japan-born player picked in the much awaited annual event.

"Yeah I hope to apply to the NBA Draft next year, but I am just focusing on working hard now, practicing everyday and hopefully I will get to that level soon," he said.

Japan next take on powerhouse Iran at home in Tokyo on 17 September, and, for sure, that will be quite a challenging affair for Hachimura and the rest of the Akatsuki Five. The entire country will watch as the high flying 6ft 8in forward tries to channel his inner Kawhi and Giannis against the three-time Asia Cup champions.

ZagMan in Philly
09-16-2018, 08:53 AM
Rui has not been a good 3 pt shooter for his career -- for Japan he plays forward and as a Zag he is only a 23% 3 pt shooter for his career (while shooting 19% last year shooting 5 for 26). Definitely an area of opportunity for him if he wants to jump to the pros. His off season is filled up with activities -- he needs to make time to get the reps in shooting 3's as it will improve his draft and NBA staying power.

For comparison, the Greek freak Giannis was shooting 16% from 3 in his second NBA season, and now he is up to 30%. Rui will not be a threat from 3, but he will be about where Giannis is now.

ZagNative
09-16-2018, 01:04 PM
FIBA story about Japan vs. Iran game tomorrow, "Will Iran snap Japan's winning run?" (http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/news/will-iran-snap-japan-s-winning-run)

https://i.imgur.com/tdh34GH.jpg

ZagNative
09-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Cote d'Ivoire won their game today against Mali, 69-59. Guy, who is the team captain, put up 14 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block. Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/african-qualifiers/game/1609/Mali-Cote-d-Ivoire#tab=boxscore)

Guy appears at about the 14 minute mark in the team's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=950&v=fFBG1IOvX28

Like the hair, Guy!

http://www.fiba.basketball/api/img/graphic/0c23b376-f001-45dc-880b-0cc46efef572/1000/1000?mt=.jpg

Team Standings:
(http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/african-qualifiers/groups)
https://i.imgur.com/RCtQh2X.jpg

ZagNative
09-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Highlights from the Cote d'Ivoire vs. Mali game, which includes a 3-pointer from Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9-0fNDETc

bballbeachbum
09-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Sunday afternoon musings, cheers everyone :cheers:

perhaps with Josh coming back from surgery equating to measured minutes for him early in the season, and with Geno delayed, there will be more opportunity and more asked of Rui from the perimeter, more expected, more responsibility to contribute from there, just more minutes on the perimeter, especially earlier in the season to see how he responds?
last season the ask was mostly mid range from the post extended to the elbow (but also in the low block), to turn and face and dominate. That team needed that from him with Zach, Tillie, Josh hunting outside and J3 the one in. He did that pretty well and blossomed right before our eyes.
or maybe his sweet release from 18 feet in is the limit on his range? we'll see

willandi
09-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Sunday afternoon musings, cheers everyone :cheers:

perhaps with Josh coming back from surgery equating to measured minutes for him early in the season, and with Geno delayed, there will be more opportunity and more asked of Rui from the perimeter, more expected, more responsibility to contribute from there, just more minutes on the perimeter, especially earlier in the season to see how he responds?
last season the ask was mostly mid range from the post extended to the elbow (but also in the low block), to turn and face and dominate. That team needed that from him with Zach, Tillie, Josh hunting outside and J3 the one in. He did that pretty well and blossomed right before our eyes.
or maybe his sweet release from 18 feet in is the limit on his range? we'll see

Also seems that new walk-on Paul Pennington, from Boise, is a PG. He could run things for a short while, or more, especially in the first few games when they could see what he has. He took his HS team to state his junior and senior years.

zag67
09-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Also I think that you can have Foster (if not redshirted) since he was a solid passer and is 6'5". And Ayayi to also give Perkins a rest. Also move Zach over and then have Cory and others play the 2.

willandi
09-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Also I think that you can have Foster (if not redshirted) since he was a solid passer and is 6'5". And Ayayi to also give Perkins a rest. Also move Zach over and then have Cory and others play the 2.

Yep!

Lots of alternatives. There have been times, and will be again, when Rui or Tillie will bring the ball up. Maybe even Clarke, just depending on the timing.

ZagNative
09-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Reminder: Japan plays Iran at 1:10 AM tonight. http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-17-2018, 02:01 AM
Reminder: Japan plays Iran at 1:10 AM tonight. http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers

Japan wins 70-56 w Rui leading scorer w 25pts!!

http://http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/1709/Japan-Iran?jet_appversion=1#tab=boxscore (http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/1709/Japan-Iran?jet_appversion=1#tab=boxscore)

Sarenyon
09-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Rui 25 pts, 7 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks.

A couple nice assists too in the you tube highlights.

ZagNative
09-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Tremendous highlight reel. Those assists are amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=8zrd0nuayA4

ZagNative
09-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Game story from Japan Times (https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/09/17/basketball/japan-overcome-iran-explosive-performances-rui-hachimura-yuta-wanatabe/#.W5_F4vZRdPY)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/sp-basketball-a-20180918-870x610.jpg
Rui Hachimura (center) and Yuta Watanabe (right) were all smiles after Japan's 70-56 win over Iran on Monday at Ota City General Gymnasium. | KYODO

Japan overcome Iran through explosive performances from Rui Hachimura and Yuta Watanabe

The third quarter was the highlight for the hosts, provoking loud chants from the packed stands as Hachimura and Watanabe ran rampant, netting eight points apiece. Japan outscored Iran 26-8 in the period to take the lead, riding the momentum for the remainder of the night.

“I’m happy that we were able deliver the win with the entire team,” said Hachimura, who also racked up seven rebounds, two steals and two blocks. “(Iran) was physically strong, so we tried to not get beaten in rebounding too much and we did well.”

Japan grabbed 38 rebounds while Iran cleaned the board 44 times. The Akatsuki Five’s defensive effort was remarkable, as it held the visitors to a field-goal percentage of just 33.8.

With Hachimura and Watanabe seemingly unable to play in future qualifiers due to their team obligations in the United States, Monday’s showdown was a must-win. Now the pressure is on Lamas and company to develop a winning plan for the team’s next two games, against Qatar and Kazakhstan in Toyama in late November and early December, without their biggest stars.

“Both Rui and I wish we could find a way to return to Japan (to play for the national team),” admitted Watanabe. “Our next two games will be held in Japan. We want to be there, but we have to be realistic. Both of us have teams to play for, so hopefully we’ll find the best way forward through discussions with (the Japan Basketball Association) and our teams.”

ZagNative
09-17-2018, 07:40 AM
From the Kyodo News: (https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/09/2b25eeaa9bb3-update1-basketball-hachimura-keys-japan-to-world-cup-qualifier-win-over-iran.html)

https://i.imgur.com/M3T8KTl.jpg

The top three teams from each group plus the next best team from either side of the draw qualify for the World Cup in China next year. Japan is challenging the Philippines for third place in Group F, and may still qualify if China and Jordan falter in their race for fourth in Group E.

Japan's next two games against Qatar on Nov. 30 and Kazakhstan on Dec. 3 are must-win, and the Akatsuki Five will have to hope the Philippines stumbles in one of its remaining three games in order to qualify directly from its group.

ZagNative
09-17-2018, 07:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbqmfRavkSo

GoZags
09-17-2018, 07:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbqmfRavkSo

Thanks ZN. Awesome.

Bogozags
09-17-2018, 08:16 AM
Flex thanks for posting game stats...

I notice again, that Rui is 0-2 behind the arc...

The performances Rui has displayed in FIBA concerns me. I remember last season where I discussed JWIII's growth potential. During the 16-17 season, it was easily determined that JWIII had HORRIBLE shooting mechanics. I stated that during the off season he could really have a fantastic final season if he would work on his shooting mechanics. JWIII had aspirations to play in the NBA but his opportunity to play at that level would be limited, "IF" he didn't improve his stroke for the outside as well as from the FT line. I am not sure why his stroke didn't improve in the off season as had that been me, I would have worked diligently with the coaching staff to learn to shoot correctly. He didn't adapt, which is one reason he wasn't drafted.

In several threads I touted Rui as probably the most difficult player to defend in college. I base my statement on Rui learning how to shoot correctly: working on his release point and putting much more arc on his shots. I have not seen his play in the two games in which he recently played BUT it appears that his mechanics might not have improved.

Several on this board will state that he will play PF so his 3pt shooting isn't that important BUT it is! If he plays the SF or PF and he is capable of being a consistent jump-shooter from the outside, then that will "pull" his defender out to guard him and try to limit his opportunities. Having that threat, then it opens the middle that much more and also opens his opportunity to take his opponent to the basket. That dual threat is what makes him such an incredible threat when playing the SF and PF positions.

This is just my opinion and like all opinions they are not right or wrong but rather just what they are - an opinion. I hope that this small sample size is not an indication of what is to come during the season

ZagNative
09-17-2018, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1UI2qXD-F0

TexasZagFan
09-17-2018, 09:03 AM

The performances Rui has displayed in FIBA concerns me. I remember last season where I discussed JWIII's growth potential. During the 16-17 season, it was easily determined that JWIII had HORRIBLE shooting mechanics. I stated that during the off season he could really have a fantastic final season if he would work on his shooting mechanics. JWIII had aspirations to play in the NBA but his opportunity to play at that level would be limited, "IF" he didn't improve his stroke for the outside as well as from the FT line. I am not sure why his stroke didn't improve in the off season as had that been me, I would have worked diligently with the coaching staff to learn to shoot correctly. He didn't adapt, which is one reason he wasn't drafted.

In several threads I touted Rui as probably the most difficult player to defend in college. I base my statement on Rui learning how to shoot correctly: working on his release point and putting much more arc on his shots. I have not seen his play in the two games in which he recently played BUT it appears that his mechanics might not have improved.

Several on this board will state that he will play PF so his 3pt shooting isn't that important BUT it is! If he plays the SF or PF and he is capable of being a consistent jump-shooter from the outside, then that will "pull" his defender out to guard him and try to limit his opportunities. Having that threat, then it opens the middle that much more and also opens his opportunity to take his opponent to the basket. That dual threat is what makes him such an incredible threat when playing the SF and PF positions.

This is just my opinion and like all opinions they are not right or wrong but rather just what they are - an opinion. I hope that this small sample size is not an indication of what is to come during the season

I'm thinking that a marginal improvement in shooting 3's will be sufficient for any NBA team. IIRC, Rui didn't shoot much more than one three a game on average last year...get him up to 3 a game, and let's see what happens. I think he'd hit closer to 30% under that scenario.

His dunks are going to make ESPN's top 10 at least a dozen times this year. That, combined with the marketing opportunities in Japan, is what will have NBA owners and GM's salivating over Rui.

Big D (who turned 8 yesterday) and Son of TZF obviously concur:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1820_zpsdsuagrfq.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1820_zpsdsuagrfq.jpg.html)

thespywhozaggedme
09-17-2018, 09:08 AM

What?!?!?! After 4 games, he's the 3rd leading scorer, and 3rd in fg % as a 20 year old college kid, behind grown men playing professionally.

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/playerstats

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/playerstats

If that causes you concern, may I ask that you remain concerned all season up until the championship game? lol

thespywhozaggedme
09-17-2018, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1UI2qXD-F0

Holy Cow! He is gonna dominate college ball this year. Thanks for posting that.

BobZag
09-17-2018, 09:21 AM
I'm deeply concerned and disconcerted.

thespywhozaggedme
09-17-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm deeply concerned and disconcerted.

Ha! I wish all of our international players played as poorly as Rui has.

MDABE80
09-17-2018, 09:25 AM
I stayed up late and watched the game.
He's become so
Multidimensional! I watched on espn plus. You can see it again there and see his future games. Sensational performance.

ZagNative
09-17-2018, 09:36 AM
It's really too bad that Rui and Watanabe won't be able to join Japan for the remaining qualifiers, as Japan seems unlikely to be able to win all the remaining games to qualify for China, where Rui would be such a sensation.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-17-2018, 10:24 AM
It's really too bad that Rui and Watanabe won't be able to join Japan for the remaining qualifiers, as Japan seems unlikely to be able to win all the remaining games to qualify for China, where Rui would be such a sensation.

It sure is. Checked Zags schedule and the qualification games (11/26 & 12/03 in Japan) are too close up against Zags early season gauntlet: 12/1 @ Creighton; 12/5 UW; 12/9 Tenn; 12/15 UNC. If the cream puff games were early December maybe Zags let him go represent but don’t see it happening w this schedule.

Reborn
09-17-2018, 10:52 AM
I am so impressed with Rui's growth as a basketball player. He has developed a beautiful fall away jump shot which will be unblockable. His shot is beautiful watch the rotation on the ball and you'll see why I say that. Rui will be gone after this year; so enjoy all his games. I can hardly wait to see him glide through the air. I can hardly wait to see him dribbling down court on a fast break and dishing off for a layup, or just keeping the ball and dunking it. I believe he's our best player in transition. Give him the ball.
I can also see all the work he has been putting in on that move where he fakes to the basket and attacks the basket and dunks. He is SO quick. Thats a great move. It's called the Rocker.

Go Zags!!!

OntZags
09-17-2018, 10:59 AM

They have 2 games against Qatar and 1 home game versus Kazakhstan. Those are very winnable even with those two unavailable. (especially if Fazekas is healthy and available) And it is possible Watanabe will be allowed to go. Iran on the road would be a tough W regardless of who is there, particularly if Iran had a full lineup.

Jordan has a much tougher schedule with NZ*2, South Korea and China. Philippines has a similar schedule to Japan but with Kazakhstan twice instead of Qatar.

3-1 gives them a fighting chance and is still very doable.

sullyzag66
09-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Dunking as a Zag...

https://youtu.be/lrGQWlxybxQ

Zags_Fanatic
09-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Dunking as a Zag...

https://youtu.be/lrGQWlxybxQ

I knew what it was before I clicked. Best dunk I have ever seen in person.

Worthington
09-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Watching Rui in the FIBA qualifiers (man has he been impressive) has made me strongly believe that he needs to spend most of his time at the power forward this season (consequently, I also now believe that should be his projected NBA position). He is such a match up nightmare for opposing big men. He's got the strength to handle them in the post defensively and the agility to blow by them on offence. He is so effective posting up and sealing his defender or catching in the mid post and beating his defender off the dribble. It doesn't take advantage of his strengths to have him floating on the perimeter hoisting up more three pointers or trying to beat smaller, quicker defenders off the bounce.

Having said that, I think the starting line-ups that I would look at are either: Perkins, Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura, Tillie or Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Hachimura, Tillie. These smaller line-ups with more ball handlers and spacing do feel a bit more like Few's style than going big with Rui, Tillie, and Clarke.

Sarenyon
09-17-2018, 10:05 PM
As Rui posts up and does the quick turn towards the baseline to the basket, he needs to be careful of that right elbow. He's been called for O fouls in the past on that very move and one of the highlights looked very close to hooking with that elbow. You know teams will pick up on it and yell at the refs to call it, because that is the only way to stop him when he makes that move.

Zagdawg
09-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Rui dunk at #4

https://twitter.com/FIBAWC/status/1042438148280729600

Vanzagger
09-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Watching Rui in the FIBA qualifiers (man has he been impressive) has made me strongly believe that he needs to spend most of his time at the power forward this season (consequently, I also now believe that should be his projected NBA position). He is such a match up nightmare for opposing big men. He's got the strength to handle them in the post defensively and the agility to blow by them on offence. He is so effective posting up and sealing his defender or catching in the mid post and beating his defender off the dribble. It doesn't take advantage of his strengths to have him floating on the perimeter hoisting up more three pointers or trying to beat smaller, quicker defenders off the bounce.

Having said that, I think the starting line-ups that I would look at are either: Perkins, Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura, Tillie or Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Hachimura, Tillie. These smaller line-ups with more ball handlers and spacing do feel a bit more like Few's style than going big with Rui, Tillie, and Clarke.

Use him like Magic, Bird, or James. Why win the championship by 5 when you can win it by 10

bballbeachbum
09-19-2018, 09:01 AM

This is exactly how he was used last year, very effectively.

Why might Rui's usage change, or maybe a better term, evolve?

IF the perimeter situation this season regarding other Zag players' ability/effectiveness/availability dictates, perhaps Rui gets more opportunity on the perimeter. IF so, then we'd be able to see what happens given minutes there. I think we'd like the results but we haven't seen him asked to do it really. He has shown that he can defend the perimeter pretty darn well already against the quick smaller guys through the switching D. But against the elite teams, perhaps being able to drag a big 4 defender outside to guard his threat, if he can establish it, might help the Zags?

On posting up, I believe in him, but it depends on the matchup so far in his career seems to me. In defending the post, same thing so far. At least that is what I have observed, perhaps mistakenly. Growth in his game here, some consistency--playing with his back to the basket and defending those with their back to the basket-- would be another awesome enhancement to his own skill set and the team's effectiveness. He's improved at this since we first saw him play imo, and can keep rising too.

No doubt he's an absolute terror in the mid post/elbow areas when he turns and faces, just a sick bag of skills in there, and his O board potential is amazing weak side.

Rui Playing in FIBA Asian Qualifiers This Month was fun to follow. Fun to watch him be the man and defer to no one.

Worthington
09-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Use him like Magic, Bird, or James. Why win the championship by 5 when you can win it by 10

I love Rui as a play maker in the open court, but I still haven't seen enough from him to have much faith in him as an initiator of the offense in the half court. I agree in general, the more touches Rui gets next season, the better.

Vanzagger
09-19-2018, 09:58 AM
I would like to see Kispert, Norvell, and Rui combine for 6 assists/game. That would look like a video game. I don’t think Josh would mind. He would be getting more easy buckets

bballbeachbum
09-19-2018, 11:39 AM
I love Rui as a play maker in the open court, but I still haven't seen enough from him to have much faith in him as an initiator of the offense in the half court. I agree in general, the more touches Rui gets next season, the better.

agreed. other roles than initiator on the perimeter for stretch 4s and 3s

Zagceo
09-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Rui dunk at #4

explosive power length size opponents nightmare

maynard g krebs
09-19-2018, 02:07 PM

If we're gonna make superstar comps, I see him more as Connie Hawkins or Dr J.

Malastein
09-19-2018, 02:12 PM
I just hope he lives up to the hype he’s been getting and delivers on a truly dominant junior season.

sittingon50
09-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Rui dunk at #4

Thanks Zd.

Vanzagger
09-19-2018, 08:51 PM
I had only heard of Connie Hawkins. I went to his wiki. That dude had a fascinating career. And almost a Sonic to boot.

bballbeachbum
09-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Hawkins a nice comparison imo. see some similarities in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln7aPnS5okk

maynard g krebs
09-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Hawkins a nice comparison imo. see some similarities in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln7aPnS5okk

Nice. Thanks for posting that.

bballbeachbum
09-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Nice. Thanks for posting that.

:cheers:

ZagNative
10-01-2018, 08:05 AM
FIBA piece about Guy Landry Edi and the Cote d'Ivoire chances in coming FIBA games. http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/african-qualifiers/news/for-cote-divoire-its-all-about-winning-all-remaining-world-cup-qualifiers-games

http://www.fiba.basketball/images.fiba.com/Graphic/5/7/8/B/1YwhxxAHaEiShLY7E4C9cQ.jpg?v=20180930154300035

So far, Guy Edi averages 10 points and 6 rebounds in six African Qualifiers games

After beating Rwanda and Mali early this month in Lagos, Nigeria, Cote d'Ivoire improved their World Cup Qualifiers aspirations to an encouraging 4-5 mark with three games remaining.

Realistically speaking, Edy notes, it's going to be difficult to finish second in Group F because of Senegal's 7-2 record, let alone win the group.

So, the Ivorians will look to become the best third-placed team in Africa's World Cup Qualifiers in order to return to the FIBA Basketball World Cup for the first time since 2010.

And the man who led Cote d'Ivoire in scoring (ten points per game) in Turkey 2010 hopes to do everything in his power to make his dream come true.

jazzdelmar
10-01-2018, 01:29 PM

That’s blasphemous, Maynard. The Hawk would have been a top 20 all timer in the NBA. Saw him play in high school vs two other all time greats, Roger Brown and Billy the Kid.

Bogozags
10-01-2018, 02:51 PM

McGinnis from Univ of Minn (who played with David Winfield) and the 76'ers...he was 6'8" and 235lbs...same body size/height...but he didn't shoot the three...he was the consummate PF back then...Rui will have to play the SG or SF at the next level...IMO

WallaWallaZag
10-01-2018, 04:27 PM
...Rui will have to play the SG or SF at the next level...IMO

SF at the next level is a guarantee, at least part of the time...SG isn't going to happen. There are plenty of successful NBA hybrid PF's with his physical profile...paul millsap and carmelo just to name two.

White lightning
10-01-2018, 06:00 PM
SF at the next level is a guarantee, at least part of the time...SG isn't going to happen. There are plenty of successful NBA hybrid PF's with his physical profile...paul millsap and carmelo just to name two.I agree with a lot of people that Rui is one of the most athletic players Gonzaga has had with a great opportunity to play at the next level. His biggest attribute is marketing potential in Japan for the NBA. Compared to the power 5 "McDonald's" players I think he is average at best. Watching his FIBA performance this summer shows how he really needs to improve his ball handling and shooting from deep to actually play against the top player's. I feel he grew a lot from last summer and was playing at a much faster pace and struggled playing with teammates on the Japanese team that were not able to keep up. Hopefully I'm not flamed for expressing my opinion. I'm a great supporter of Rui as a Zag just trying to be realistic about his NBA future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bballbeachbum
10-01-2018, 07:03 PM
McGinnis from Univ of Minn (who played with David Winfield) and the 76'ers...he was 6'8" and 235lbs...same body size/height...but he didn't shoot the three...he was the consummate PF back then...Rui will have to play the SG or SF at the next level...IMO

hey Bogozags, you talking George McGinnis? I remember him well, his release was like a one handed shot put, different from Rui seems to me, and bulging muscles just looked different, but Great player, and also finesse. I get the comparison on that level, the power/finesse combo. I think he went to Indiana.

On the Hawkins comparison, my point is Rui has a similar body, similar release, similar face up game...they look the same in those things. Will Rui be an all time great like Hawkins? who knows, I'm with White lightning in the let's see some of these things develop first, but IF making comparison to superstars.......

WallaWallaZag
10-02-2018, 12:28 AM
Compared to the power 5 "McDonald's" players I think he is average at best.

if you're going to make a statement like this, can you please tell me who these imaginary "power 5 mcdonald's" power forwards you are comparing to rui actually are???

White lightning
10-02-2018, 03:22 AM
I'm not talking about one individual power forward. I'm just stating athletically Rui athleticism is comparable to a lot of players who have played over the years for other power 5 teams that go on to the NBA. That's one of the major obsticals the Zags run into every year in March. Example Florida State last year. They were more athletic across the board. I'm sorry WWZag if I've ruffled your feathers just my opinions.
if you're going to make a statement like this, can you please tell me who these imaginary "power 5 mcdonald's" power forwards you are comparing to rui actually are???

bartruff1
10-02-2018, 05:51 AM
The NBA is a completely different level.....Rui maybe the best athlete that has played at Gonzaga but in the NBA he will have to defend against superb athletes and basketball players......players who have played organized ball and been coached since they were in middle school...….and he will have to be able to score from the 3 point line....

In any case he is sure fun to watch as a Zag and that is what is important for now....IMHO of course..

Grand Valley Zag
10-02-2018, 08:35 AM
I'm not talking about one individual power forward. I'm just stating athletically Rui athleticism is comparable to a lot of players who have played over the years for other power 5 teams that go on to the NBA. That's one of the major obsticals the Zags run into every year in March. Example Florida State last year. They were more athletic across the board. I'm sorry WWZag if I've ruffled your feathers just my opinions.

So his athleticism is that of an average 4 in the P5? average starting 4 in the P5? Average NBA-bound 4?

Nope. Way off. Somebody ban this guy.

WallaWallaZag
10-02-2018, 09:00 AM

my feathers aren't the least bit ruffled and you are of course entitled to your opinions...but you need to back them up. sure, fsu was more athletic across the board, but not a single one of them is a projected lottery pick like rui...that alone tells you he's not average in any way. 6'8 230 with a 7'2 wingspan that can grab a rebound and go coast to coast and take off near the free throw line and jump off the wrong foot and still dunk is not average in any way. sure, his skills are still raw...but that's why he's not a top 5 pick, yet...

maynard g krebs
10-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Context. I was replying to Vanzagger's "use him like Magic, Bird, Lebron", and merely saying that in terms of style I think he's more like the 2 I cited than those 3, IF we're gonna compare him to superstars.

I saw the Hawk at the Spectrum in Philly when he was playing for Phoenix ca. '69 or 70 with Big Daddy Lattin, and agree w/ you. Of course, the undeserved blackballing derailed his career in his prime, but yeah he was one of the greats and a personal favorite.

eta- oops, meant to quote Jazz' post re the Hawk a few posts back. Responding to that.

maynard g krebs
10-02-2018, 10:54 AM

McGinnis played his one college season at Indiana, per Basketball Reference site.

When I followed the NBA my team was the sixers. McGinnis was part of the playground allstars, with Chocolate Thunder and World B. et al. Total ratball team w/ McGinnis, who was known for smoking cigarettes in the locker room at halftime. They won a title after trading McGInnis for Bobby Jones, which allowed them to become a cohesive team.

Grand Valley Zag
10-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Context. I was replying to Vanzagger's "use him like Magic, Bird, Lebron", and merely saying that in terms of style I think he's more like the 2 I cited than those 3, IF we're gonna compare him to superstars.

I saw the Hawk at the Spectrum in Philly when he was playing for Phoenix ca. '69 or 70 with Big Daddy Lattin, and agree w/ you. Of course, the undeserved blackballing derailed his career in his prime, but yeah he was one of the greats and a personal favorite.

One of my favorites too. Fun style to watch.

bballbeachbum
10-02-2018, 12:46 PM
here's a little McGinnis HoF video to compare Rui to.
Sixers were my NBA team too back then. Still can see his miss at the buzzer from the elbow vs. Portland in the finals, front rim clang. it hurt! bet there's some great northwest posters here who have more happy memories of that series ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNdhOjAOoI

ZagMan in Philly
02-21-2019, 05:44 AM
Rui is probably up early watching his National Team playing
http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers

Zagceo
02-21-2019, 07:51 AM
http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/2102/Iran-Japan#tab=overview

Japan defeats Iran

sittingon50
02-21-2019, 09:05 AM
http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/2102/Iran-Japan#tab=overview

Japan defeats Iran

:clap:

ZagNative
02-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Kyle Wiltjer is playing for Team Canada vs. Chile today at 2:30. Watch live on ESPN+ starting at 2:20.

Here is a story featuring Kyle and the Canadian team: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/americas-qualifiers/game/2102/Canada-Chile#|tab=boxscore

Live stats will be here: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/americas-qualifiers/team/Canada

ZagNative
02-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Guy Landry Edi's Cote d'Ivoire plays Nigeria on Friday, February 22, at Noon.

Stats will be here: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/african-qualifiers/game/2202/Nigeria-Cote-d-Ivoire#tab=preview

Watch on ESPN+ starting at 11:50 AM.

ZagNative
02-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Canada wins it 85-46 over Chile, Kyle with 12 points, 14 rebounds, and 2 assists. Box Score. (http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/americas-qualifiers/game/2102/Canada-Chile#tab=boxscore)

Next game Sunday, February 24th, at 11:30 vs. Venezuela.