PDA

View Full Version : Shea treatment for Geno

jazzdelmar
09-01-2018, 04:16 PM
How do we get the Shea Patterson deal for Geno? Kid played at Ole Miss last year, got hurt and was mysteriously declared eligible this year at Harbaugh U. Big blue got pull, I suppose. Just in time for NBC tonight.

Here’s the cover story.....

Patterson decided to transfer anyway and committed to Michigan in December 2017. At the time, the NCAA’s rules didn’t offer any avenue for him to play immediately. But the NCAA passed a new rule that spring that allowed transfers with “mitigating circumstances” to play without sitting a season. That freed up Patterson and a handful of former teammates, and it gave Michigan a new starting quarterback for the 2018 season.

GoZags
09-01-2018, 05:40 PM
My thinking is we (fans on this board) should wait to learn what is going on before “solving” any potential problems with the Zags.

jazzdelmar
09-01-2018, 06:03 PM
GZ, my tongue was firmly in cheek. When it comes to big time “foot-bawl,” clearly some blue bloods are bluer than others.

Markburn1
09-01-2018, 07:46 PM
GZ, my tongue was firmly in cheek. When it comes to big time “foot-bawl,” clearly some blue bloods are bluer than others.

I'll agree about bluer than blue.

When it comes to Crandall, the panic level around here is unwarranted. If any organization warrants the benefit of the doubt it is Zags basketball. No matter how it turns out they deserve at least that. So far the story from the Zags SID is that they are working out the details. I'm willing to wait and see and I wouldn't bet against Crandall being in uniform to start the season. Even if that turns out to be wrong, I'm not going to question their approach here. They have been exemplary in their handling of the kids and their academics.

gonzagabasketball
09-01-2018, 08:43 PM
I'll agree about bluer than blue.

When it comes to Crandall, the panic level around here is unwarranted. If any organization warrants the benefit of the doubt it is Zags basketball. No matter how it turns out they deserve at least that. So far the story from the Zags SID is that they are working out the details. I'm willing to wait and see and I wouldn't bet against Crandall being in uniform to start the season. Even if that turns out to be wrong, I'm not going to question their approach here. They have been exemplary in their handling of the kids and their academics.

I dont know about that, he is a graduate transfer that has yet to graduate. The following academic year has started, it makes sense that one would speculate.

Reborn
09-02-2018, 07:31 AM
In times like this, I always turn to what Tommy has said, when he said that we fans know about 5% if what is actually going on. I would add to that, that some members of this forum do know quite a bit compared to what I know. When it comes to recruiting, I really don't know a whole lot unless I've been talking about players I have seen play (Ravet and Watson).

Go Zags!!!

raise the zag
09-02-2018, 08:05 AM
I thought Shea looked overmatched and still has no clue how to make the simple play out of the pocket. Always swings for the fences when the single is the right play. Or shows off his arm by forcing it to no man's land He has a nice feel/feet in the pocket to avoid pressure but is lacking between the ears. Seems to blame others for his lack of control and overrated arm. His velocity and form is good but his placement and touch and decision making is off. Same thing at Ole Miss.

Wolverines may have won that game if they stuck with the McCrafrey kid, who knows when and where to throw the ball. Also, has some speed himself, better composure, and actually utilizes his check downs. He only converted 3 consecutive 3rd downs when Shea went out with cramps, when Patterson couldn't convert a single one. When Shea returned, another 3 and out.

No surprise Harbaugh chose the fiery and unpredictable Patterson, a mirror image of his playing days in many ways. Harbaug hasn't been able to chose the right QB as his starter since Andrew Luck.

It always seems the back ups are better fit until they subsequently transfer from Michigan leaving the unreliable QB's.

Shea Patterson for his wish and the result was pretty much as predicted. Shea looks the same and Harbaugh does as well.

Zagceo
09-02-2018, 08:26 AM
GU BOARDS
The Home of Gonzaga Basketball Talk

says it on the banner above

if members can't discuss stories that have actually been written about in the sports section of the Spokesman Review like

North Dakota transfer Geno Crandall not enrolled at Gonzaga (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/29/north-dakota-transfer-geno-crandall-not-enrolled-a/)

locking of threads without explanation leaves this member confused. What are we doing wrong?

MDABE80
09-02-2018, 09:56 AM
How about privacy for an issue wherein a kid is struggling ? We are a curious bunch but we do not need to know everything. Some do (Few comes to mind) but we do not. More later...

jazzdelmar
09-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Good pts Raise. The Mccaffery kid looked much more sound. Btw, how many Mccafreys are there? Endless. Billy was a snot. Maybe Shea Boy ends up at Last Chance University playing for the Neanderthal.

I thought Shea looked overmatched and still has no clue how to make the simple play out of the pocket. Always swings for the fences when the single is the right play. Or shows off his arm by forcing it to no man's land He has a nice feel/feet in the pocket to avoid pressure but is lacking between the ears. Seems to blame others for his lack of control and overrated arm. His velocity and form is good but his placement and touch and decision making is off. Same thing at Ole Miss.

Wolverines may have won that game if they stuck with the McCrafrey kid, who knows when and where to throw the ball. Also, has some speed himself, better composure, and actually utilizes his check downs. He only converted 3 consecutive 3rd downs when Shea went out with cramps, when Patterson couldn't convert a single one. When Shea returned, another 3 and out.

No surprise Harbaugh chose the fiery and unpredictable Patterson, a mirror image of his playing days in many ways. Harbaug hasn't been able to chose the right QB as his starter since Andrew Luck.

It always seems the back ups are better fit until they subsequently transfer from Michigan leaving the unreliable QB's.

Shea Patterson for his wish and the result was pretty much as predicted. Shea looks the same and Harbaugh does as well.

DixieZag
09-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Wow, out of BB season, we get in-depth op/analysis of elite football during football season. Always learn something, even if I still don't know what's up with Geno.

I am bummed that he had to become a BOLD prediction.

Bogozags
09-03-2018, 07:39 AM
How about privacy for an issue wherein a kid is struggling ? We are a curious bunch but we do not need to know everything. Some do (Few comes to mind) but we do not. More later...

I agree...it would be nice to know but sure isn't necessary...we will know when we should know!

Zagceo
09-03-2018, 11:05 AM
here's my analysis of football

a "sport" which one conference has banned contact in all practices because

The idea behind the ban is simple: less hitting means less risk of brain damage and other physical injuries, and more opportunity to recover between games.

LINK (https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/yp8bjb/no-tackling-in-practice-not-a-problem-in-ivy-league-football)

gladiator "sport"

just my opinion

jchocolate99
09-04-2018, 02:41 PM
GU BOARDS
The Home of Gonzaga Basketball Talk

says it on the banner above

if members can't discuss stories that have actually been written about in the sports section of the Spokesman Review like

North Dakota transfer Geno Crandall not enrolled at Gonzaga (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/29/north-dakota-transfer-geno-crandall-not-enrolled-a/)

locking of threads without explanation leaves this member confused. What are we doing wrong?

It's a fan discussion board... Like Zagceo stated if this is a topic covered by the hometown paper of that school we shouldn't be locking up threads. Worrying about the privacy, feelings or whatever else of said player is not my problem. I come here to discuss news or anything else related to my favorite college basketball team. Stop acting like a bunch of mother hens these are ADULT young man playing a major D1 sport. Scrutiny and intrigue come with competing at this level

West Side Lady
09-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Geno still enrolled at UND as of today:
http://grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4494693-expected-be-gonzaga-semester-geno-crandall-still-enrolled-und

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Geno still enrolled at UND as of today:
http://grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4494693-expected-be-gonzaga-semester-geno-crandall-still-enrolled-und

Interesting development. Semantics matter, to say “still enrolled” could be interpreted as a sort of default status of he just hasn’t formally left. That’s not the case. To be enrolled means the student has proactively registered for fall semester. One doesn’t become enrolled by default.

former1dog
09-04-2018, 04:49 PM
It's a fan discussion board... Like Zagceo stated if this is a topic covered by the hometown paper of that school we shouldn't be locking up threads. Worrying about the privacy, feelings or whatever else of said player is not my problem. I come here to discuss news or anything else related to my favorite college basketball team. Stop acting like a bunch of mother hens these are ADULT young man playing a major D1 sport. Scrutiny and intrigue come with competing at this level

Your attitude is completely appropriate for most programs and schools.

Gonzaga isn't most programs or most schools.

I'm very protective of my alma mater. I don't want anything bad to happen to it or to the student athletes, coaches, professors, administrators or the guy who cuts the quad lawn.

The administrators and most of the long time members of this board are Gonzaga people. They are not casual fans, but folks involved in a variety of ways with the school itself. I know most of them share my sentiments and want to protect Gonzaga.

If you want to call us Mother Hens because we have a deep love and affection for all things Gonzaga, so be it.

ZagaholicPodcast
09-04-2018, 05:31 PM

There are those of us who are working behind the scenes to provide something better. Patience. The next era of GU fan culture is coming, and it will be awesome. We'll be on par with the UNC's, KU' and Duke's of the world, in that regard.

JAGzag
09-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Okay, it’s Tuesday. Who knows the rules on late registrations-the when and how. In other words, is there a hope (based on fact) Geno can join school and play this semester? Only those posters with actual knowledge of the rules and process should respond; now is not the time for “we believe in you” posts. ��

Zag_Dad
09-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Okay, it’s Tuesday. Who knows the rules on late registrations-the when and how. In other words, is there a hope (based on fact) Geno can join school and play this semester? Only those posters with actual knowledge of the rules and process should respond; now is not the time for “we believe in you” posts. ��

Apparently the last day to add a class for fall semester at GU is ...... tomorrow 9/5.

ZagDad84
09-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Just some general information:

UND is operating on a Semester (not quarter) system.
Classes for Fall, 2018 Semester began on August 20, 2018.
Winter commencement is scheduled for December 14. 2018.

ZagDad

Zagsker
09-05-2018, 07:03 AM

I'm very protective of my alma mater. I don't want anything bad to happen to it or to the student athletes, coaches, professors, administrators or the guy who cuts the quad lawn.

The administrators and most of the long time members of this board are Gonzaga people. They are not casual fans, but folks involved in a variety of ways with the school itself. I know most of them share my sentiments and want to protect Gonzaga.

If you want to call us Mother Hens because we have a deep love and affection for all things Gonzaga, so be it.

In what way?

Basketball wise we are a top notch program, with high caliber players and some knucklehead players here and there, much like other programs that are perennial top 20 teams.

As far as a school...the school is only relevant because of the men's basketball team...your personal experiences at Gonzaga are no different than many other students who feel their University is "special"

Mark Few and his staff is what makes GU special...they know who they want, stick too and evolve their system as needed...we are extremely fortunate we landed a guy who is happy with where he is at..much like a Coach K, Self, Williams and Izzo

LongIslandZagFan
09-05-2018, 07:16 AM
Just some general information:

UND is operating on a Semester (not quarter) system.
Classes for Fall, 2018 Semester began on August 20, 2018.
Winter commencement is scheduled for December 14. 2018.

ZagDad

Speaking as someone who works in higher ed... commencement and conferral of degrees are not one in the same. A degree can be conferred any day... commencement is nothing but ceremonial. If he has classes that have incompletes, the degree can be conferred as soon as those incompletes are rectified.

caldwellzag
09-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Speaking as someone who works in higher ed... commencement and conferral of degrees are not one in the same. A degree can be conferred any day... commencement is nothing but ceremonial. If he has classes that have incompletes, the degree can be conferred as soon as those incompletes are rectified.

Good insight here!

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
09-05-2018, 12:17 PM
From North Dakota today: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4494693-expected-be-gonzaga-semester-geno-crandall-still-enrolled-und

Make of it what you will.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-05-2018, 12:41 PM

If it were simply a matter of finishing up classes that are currently Incompletes, he would not be enrolled for fall semester...would be? Enrolling means your are taking a class being taught during the semester in which you are enrolled.

We don’t need to wait for further info imho. Ample evidence to conclude he will not be enrolling at Gonzaga before January. Happy to be wrong, but fairly certain I am not.

I support Geno, support Gonzaga AND am bothered that Zags would dabble in this gray area of accepting a grad transfer who by all accounts was a far cry from actually graduating. Just seems like a slippery slope toward the ‘win at all costs’ mentality of big time college athletics.

LongIslandZagFan
09-05-2018, 01:09 PM
If it were simply a matter of finishing up classes that are currently Incompletes, he would not be enrolled for fall semester...would be? Enrolling means your are taking a class being taught during the semester in which you are enrolled.

We don’t need to wait for further info imho. Ample evidence to conclude he will not be enrolling at Gonzaga before January. Happy to be wrong, but fairly certain I am not.

I support Geno, support Gonzaga AND am bothered that Zags would dabble in this gray area of accepting a grad transfer who by all accounts was a far cry from actually graduating. Just seems like a slippery slope toward the ‘win at all costs’ mentality of big time college athletics.

Depends on the type of classes enrolled for. If they are independent study/thesis type classes it changes the timing of the classes. That being said. Don't really think this is so much a grey area. Geno thought he could finish... Zags obviously took him at his word... may not be working out that way. Most likely case he's here after the first semester. Not ideal but better than nothing. For the record... None of us know what is outstanding for Geno, nor should we know. FERPA regulations rightfully keeps us from knowing this. Everything here is speculation. I am just saying based on my knowledge of higher ed... things aren't always exactly as you see them from the outside and are dependent on tons of factors we aren't privy to from the outside.

jchocolate99
09-05-2018, 01:16 PM

That's nice but this is an unofficial GU basketball fan forum that's not affiliated with the program. Fans should be able to come on this board and speak all things GU basketball rather it be in a positive or negative light. If board members don't drink the kool-aid they get flamed or have their threads locked. All differing opinions (which means negative and positive) should be posted to have different perspectives which makes for a more active board. Suppressing people's thoughts and opinions because you're concerned about a player or their family members feelings isn't right.

There are those of us who are working behind the scenes to provide something better. Patience. The next era of GU fan culture is coming, and it will be awesome. We'll be on par with the UNC's, KU' and Duke's of the world, in that regard.

I hope so ZagaholicPodcast, cause this board is getting worse with it's extreme we are above the fray stuff. All fans need to be able to have their say without getting their opinions suppressed because they don't follow rose colored mantra

LongIslandZagFan
09-05-2018, 04:28 PM
For the record... most of the complaining about just about everything is from the negative folks. Yes, by all means we can talk about the negatives and positives. But when you are negative, expect that some may counter with positive. God forbid. Half the reason a major amount of people stopped posting here regularly, if at all, and I include myself in that group is that honestly, the negative folks basically ruin the fun... ruin the sense of family... and basically make the place less than desirable. If you guys build a new site... and let people run amok... basically it will fail. On that note... I have posted here more than I care to.... back to my cave.

bigblahla
09-05-2018, 05:13 PM
For the record... most of the complaining about just about everything is from the negative folks. Yes, by all means we can talk about the negatives and positives. But when you are negative, expect that some may counter with positive. God forbid. Half the reason a major amount of people stopped posting here regularly, if at all, and I include myself in that group is that honestly, the negative folks basically ruin the fun... ruin the sense of family... and basically make the place less than desirable. If you guys build a new site... and let people run amok... basically it will fail. On that note... I have posted here more than I care to.... back to my cave.

Miss ya LIZF, always liked your insight...

Go!! Zags!!!

zagbeliever
09-05-2018, 05:56 PM

:agreed:

MileHigh
09-06-2018, 05:40 AM
Depends on the type of classes enrolled for. If they are independent study/thesis type classes it changes the timing of the classes. That being said. Don't really think this is so much a grey area. Geno thought he could finish... Zags obviously took him at his word... may not be working out that way. Most likely case he's here after the first semester. Not ideal but better than nothing. For the record... None of us know what is outstanding for Geno, nor should we know. FERPA regulations rightfully keeps us from knowing this. Everything here is speculation. I am just saying based on my knowledge of higher ed... things aren't always exactly as you see them from the outside and are dependent on tons of factors we aren't privy to from the outside.

One thing that has become a factor is that whatever classes Geno takes (or retakes) at this point, he has to pay for out of his own pocket. His UND scolie ran out at the end of the summer semester. So, unless he decides to stay and play at UND (and they want him back) it is going to cost him some $$ to graduate and play college basketball this year.

kitzbuel
09-06-2018, 07:15 AM
One thing that has become a factor is that whatever classes Geno takes (or retakes) at this point, he has to pay for out of his own pocket. His UND scolie ran out at the end of the summer semester. So, unless he decides to stay and play at UND (and they want him back) it is going to cost him some $$ to graduate and play college basketball this year.

That could be motivation in and of itself.

raise the zag
09-06-2018, 07:36 AM
If I'm Geno, and I'm not eligible to mid-december or possible january at Gonzaga, I'm returning to UND (if they would have me).

He will be paying for an entire semester out of pocket ($5-6K), losing premier opportunity to be featured/noticed vs Power 5 teams, and all eggs in one NCAA basket. Not to mention, no practice, meeting/greeting, and learning an entire offense until mid-season.

Of course we would take him as fans, its easy to say that, hope and imagine, yet put yourself in his shoes -- or our current players' shoes.

This is unheard of or unprecedented, for a grad transfer to join a Top-10 team MID-season. Our offense takes some players an entire season, or more, to learn and adapt to, and that is before chemistry is developed.

He would seemingly have all of WCC play to get up to speed, but at what cost? Is the WCC much different than what he would have at UND? He is their #1 option. He might even come off the bench for us, esp if he arrives late.

Feels like a missed opportunity at this point, unless he can become eligible by this month, I don't think its worth it for either party or their best interest.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-06-2018, 08:37 AM
If I'm Geno, and I'm not eligible to mid-december or possible january at Gonzaga, I'm returning to UND (if they would have me).

He will be paying for an entire semester out of pocket ($5-6K), losing premier opportunity to be featured/noticed vs Power 5 teams, and all eggs in one NCAA basket. Not to mention, no practice, meeting/greeting, and learning an entire offense until mid-season.

Of course we would take him as fans, its easy to say that, hope and imagine, yet put yourself in his shoes -- or our current players' shoes.

This is unheard of or unprecedented, for a grad transfer to join a Top-10 team MID-season. Our offense takes some players an entire season, or more, to learn and adapt to, and that is before chemistry is developed.

He would seemingly have all of WCC play to get up to speed, but at what cost? Is the WCC much different than what he would have at UND? He is their #1 option. He might even come off the bench for us, esp if he arrives late.

Feels like a missed opportunity at this point, unless he can become eligible by this month, I don't think its worth it for either party or their best interest.

I agree. Vitriol coming our way in 3, 2, 1...

GoZags
09-06-2018, 09:05 AM

Wish you (and the others working "behind the scenes" with you) nothing but the best.

But please understand your use of the term "something better" is in the eye of the beholder. And thank you for using the term "GU fan culture" and not "GU culture" as there IS a difference .... eloquently explained by f1d above.

Again, good luck (and please hurry)

ZagDad84
09-06-2018, 10:27 AM
I agree. Vitriol coming our way in 3, 2, 1...

Let's See, that must be GonzagasurusFlex Rule #1036.

If you do not agree with an opinion based on supposition, facts not yet in evidence, or pure conjecture, then your opinion is vitriol.

Got it.

Definition of Vitriol - "something highly caustic or severe in effect, as criticism."

Flex, I am glad you give so much weight to my and other's opinions. I can respect your opinion and I even agree with some or most of it while still not agreeing with the conclusion.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and each opinion carries equal weight. Just because some insist on yelling louder or more often does not make their opinion any more valuable than another.

On the other hand, some of us have opinions that are just more right than others. :roll:

ZagDad

strikenowhere
09-06-2018, 10:48 AM
I just feel bad for Crandall at this point - he's stuck in an extremely difficult situation now. Did anyone report that he isn't on the UND roster either?

https://fightinghawks.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

I mean isn't it legitimately possible that he doesn't play at all in his final year of eligibility?

cggonzaga
09-06-2018, 10:48 AM
https://twitter.com/gonzagaguru/status/1037727509708558337?s=21

Zagceo
09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
The lesson for kids going forward IMO..take advantage of summer school opportunities.

caldwellzag
09-06-2018, 11:33 AM
https://twitter.com/gonzagaguru/status/1037727509708558337?s=21

I saw that today, but I am not sure how true that really is for grad students. There has been no one close to the school or program that has put that date out there, only those of use guessing when the cut off will be.

LongIslandZagFan
09-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Not sure what NCAA rules are... but it isn't as if exceptions for students across the spectrum aren't made. Every student's situation is different and while the add deadline is there... I can almost assure you kids likely still add classes after the deadline (possibly with a fee). Obviously there is some logistical limit on what a student can miss in a class... but I am quite sure that deadline isn't even close to being approached.

sittingon50
09-06-2018, 12:59 PM
On the other hand, some of us have opinions that are just more right than others. :roll:

ZagDad

What, you're not married??:p

ZagDad84
09-06-2018, 01:03 PM
What, you're not married??:p

My Bad. 32 years as of this December.

Maybe it is simply old age that causes my occasional forgetfullness. Yeah, go with that.

Clarification - My opinion is only right when the much better half is not part of the conversation.

Thanks for looking out for me SittingOn50.

That was close.

ZagDad

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Let's See, that must be GonzagasurusFlex Rule #1036.

If you do not agree with an opinion based on supposition, facts not yet in evidence, or pure conjecture, then your opinion is vitriol.

Got it.

Definition of Vitriol - "something highly caustic or severe in effect, as criticism."

Flex, I am glad you give so much weight to my and other's opinions. I can respect your opinion and I even agree with some or most of it while still not agreeing with the conclusion.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and each opinion carries equal weight. Just because some insist on yelling louder or more often does not make their opinion any more valuable than another.

ZagDad

Not the kind of vitriol I was expecting.

Saxon_zag
09-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Lol gatekeeping post. Funny.

I think we can discuss gonzaga articles in the sports section of the spokesman

MDABE80
09-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Perspective: There's nothing to say he can't use part of his Fall to finish up and then join us 10 games in. I'm thinking that can and likely will happen. Meanwhile even without Geno, we're ranked highly and given a no 1 seed if you recall. He's like delicious frosting.

We are loaded with talent who've played together for nothing less than a full year. Look on the bright side. A no 1 seed means we'll like be a strong FF candidate. Nice to have him and I think we will. But the earth doesn't go flat if some other thing intervenes. Right Jazz???

Hooray4Daye&Gray
09-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Perspective: There's nothing to say he can't use part of his Fall to finish up and then join us 10 games in. I'm thinking that can and likely will happen. Meanwhile even without Geno, we're ranked highly and given a no 1 seed if you recall. He's like delicious frosting.

We are loaded with talent who've played together for nothing less than a full year. Look on the bright side. A no 1 seed means we'll like be a strong FF candidate. Nice to have him and I think we will. But the earth doesn't go flat if some other thing intervenes. Right Jazz???

Great post. I'm bummed I likely won't get to see him in Maui, but it's clear he would help us win a championship if he can join sometime in December.

That is plenty of time for a veteran player to get familiarized with the team and benefit the team. Playing a bunch of scrimmage teams all winter certainly helps.

sittingon50
09-07-2018, 12:33 PM
My Bad. 32 years as of this December.

Maybe it is simply old age that causes my occasional forgetfullness. Yeah, go with that.

Clarification - My opinion is only right when the much better half is not part of the conversation.

Thanks for looking out for me SittingOn50.

That was close.

ZagDad

37 yrs. for me ZagDad so take comfort, I've been wrong for A LOT longer than you!

CDC84
09-07-2018, 12:37 PM
We need more tacos, immediately.

https://therecipecritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/baked-chicken-tacos-2.jpg

Zagceo
09-07-2018, 01:19 PM
What NCAA rule prevents Geno from finishing his grad work this year and just enrolling next year at GU as a grad transfer?

What happens if he doesn’t obtain his degree after these falls classes at UND?

Can’t he just take more classes in the spring and end up transferring next year?

He’s not on scholarship and not practicing like a red shirt

i know he’s already red shirted

kitzbuel
09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
What NCAA rule prevents Geno from finishing his grad work this year and just enrolling next year at GU as a grad transfer?

What happens if he doesn’t obtain his degree after these falls classes at UND?

Can’t he just take more classes in the spring and end up transferring next year?

He’s not on scholarship and not practicing like a red shirt

i know he’s already red shirted
The 4 in 5 rule. Atheletes have five years in which to compete four seasons.

MDABE80
09-07-2018, 02:51 PM
We need more tacos, immediately.

https://therecipecritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/baked-chicken-tacos-2.jpg

CDC.I have to say it: They look delicious!

Zagceo
09-07-2018, 03:46 PM
The 4 in 5 rule. Atheletes have five years in which to compete four seasons.

No exceptions?

jazzdelmar
09-07-2018, 03:51 PM
No exceptions?

Only at Creighton.

soccerdud
09-07-2018, 04:02 PM
No exceptions?

an injury redshirt will oftentimes make it a 4 in 6 thing (gibbs, etc). also, obviously religious stuff like lds missions.

i don't think that coming up a few credits short of graduating probably qualifies.

jazzdelmar
09-07-2018, 04:40 PM
This thread, of my own creation, is going to heck in a hand basket.

TexasZagFan
09-07-2018, 05:28 PM
This thread, of my own creation, is going to heck in a hand basket.

Who is this "Geno" everybody's been talking about? ;)

That's my attitude about this whole affair. If he shows up fine, he'll help the team. I'm confident that someone will step up to be a capable back up when Josh needs a rest.

NotoriousZ
09-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Still hoping for the best.

Meanwhile, those are not Taco Bell tacos.

cggonzaga
09-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Who is this "Geno" everybody's been talking about? ;)

That's my attitude about this whole affair. If he shows up fine, he'll help the team. I'm confident that someone will step up to be a capable back up when Josh needs a rest.

Kispert is ready to step up and has looked great over the summer. Problem is guard depth without Crandall. We’d probably have to rely on Ayayi in spots and I’m not sure he’s ready for that.

Pretty sure no Crandall means Rui plays a lot at the 3.

zagsfanforlife
09-08-2018, 08:18 AM
This whole ordeal is just crazy to me. You knew what you had to do to play for a top 5 team in the nation, you knew the timeframe that you had to complete it in, you have ample amount of resources on campus that you know are going to do everything they can to allow you to complete those units, and you dont get it done. I understand these arent 30-50 year old men who have it all together, but how many kids would have loved to be in that position and took advantage of it? Dont mean to berate the kid who hasnt stepped on campus yet (or maybe never will), but man-- really sounds like a lost opportunity that could have been avoided.

jazzdelmar
09-08-2018, 08:25 AM
This whole ordeal is just crazy to me. You knew what you had to do to play for a top 5 team in the nation, you knew the timeframe that you had to complete it in, you have ample amount of resources on campus that you know are going to do everything they can to allow you to complete those units, and you dont get it done. I understand these arent 30-50 year old men who have it all together, but how many kids would have loved to be in that position and took advantage of it? Dont mean to berate the kid who hasnt stepped on campus yet (or maybe never will), but man-- really sounds like a lost opportunity that could have been avoided.

Agree......but the responsibility is diffuse.

GoZags
09-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Agree......but the responsibility is diffuse.

For all we know it "could" be a case of one professor of one class trying to make a "point" ... and there's nothing the kid (or Gonzaga) could do about that (until the professor feels his point his (or her) point is made and finally issues a passing grade).

Markburn1
09-08-2018, 09:27 AM
For all we know it "could" be a case of one professor of one class trying to make a "point" ... and there's nothing the kid (or Gonzaga) could do about that (until the professor feels his point his (or her) point is made and finally issues a passing grade).

Oh, the irony.

maynard g krebs
09-08-2018, 12:45 PM

When qb Vernon Adams transferred from EWU to UO, there was a lot of bitterness/hostility on the EWU end (understandably so from their point of view; they developed a star out of a little guy w/ no major offers out of hs). Adams barely made it in at UO, at the last minute.

None of us know what's going on at UND; the posts criticizing Crandall might have merit, or might not. Pure speculation.

Zagceo
09-08-2018, 01:05 PM
we do know that Geno had 1 redshirt year.. 3 playing years .. 4 summer school opportunities.

to speculate that UND is somehow responsible for the delay is deflecting responsibility IMHO

maynard g krebs
09-08-2018, 01:17 PM
we do know that Geno had 1 redshirt year.. 3 playing years .. 4 summer school opportunities.

to speculate that UND is somehow responsible for the delay is deflecting responsibility IMHO

Point is that no one knows what happened, and if anything's irresponsible, it's making judgments based on an assumption w/o actual facts. He may be solely at fault. It could even be probable. But you don't really know, do you?

And it's also POSSIBLE that he tried his best and fell short somehow. Again, we don't know.

What gets me is entitled fans (not saying you) who feel let down here when they have no involvement other than a vicarious attachment to a sports team. (And that's true of alums just as much as it is of bandwagoners like me.) I'm guessing the kid himself is somewhere between stressed and devastated at the moment. This is his life. It costs us nothing to be kind and give him the benefit of any doubt.

willandi
09-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Point is that no one knows what happened, and if anything's irresponsible, it's making judgments based on an assumption w/o actual facts. He may be solely at fault. It could even be probable. But you don't really know, do you?

And it's also POSSIBLE that he tried his best and fell short somehow. Again, we don't know.

What gets me is entitled fans (not saying you) who feel let down here when they have no involvement other than a vicarious attachment to a sports team. (And that's true of alums just as much as it is of bandwagoners like me.) I'm guessing the kid himself is somewhere between stressed and devastated at the moment. This is his life. It costs us nothing to be kind and give him the benefit of any doubt.

Love this.

White lightning
09-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Love this.Amen!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-08-2018, 03:01 PM

Not every athletic department is as supportive of student athlete academics as Gonzaga. Many of them offer very little opportunity for summer school courses or tutoring. His university may have offered nothing at all to help him move on to play for someone else.

kitzbuel
09-09-2018, 07:01 AM
No exceptions?Extenuating medical issue is about the only way of extending the time period.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Gibbs got a medical extension approved on top of his red shirt (academic year in residence) year spent sitting out for his transfer to Creighton.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zagcity
09-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Patients grasshoppers

It costs us nothing to be kind and give him the benefit of any doubt

ZagsGoZags
09-10-2018, 06:55 AM
still no news on Geno
this seems like no news is bad news ... the clock is ticking.
the deadline for a quick fix to this for Fall 18 seems almost used up,
like how Missing Persons reports to police rapidly turn down the hope for a good resolution with each passing week.
I feel my hope turning to Spring Semester or next year ....
while realizing we may never see him on our roster again.
does not feel good to feel these expectations turning down so low ...

LTownZag
09-10-2018, 07:33 AM
One small and maybe meaningless, but at least not negative data point.

Geno is still posting to his instagram account, and he still has a profile photo of himself in a Zag uniform with his personal bio saying "gonzaga basketball #0" - so he either is confident that he'll be playing for GU, or else he is updating an account that he knows is an inaccurate representation of his basketball career.

https://www.instagram.com/geno.cero/?hl=en

jazzdelmar
09-10-2018, 07:35 AM
I think next year is off the table. A 6th year. December a long long shot as noted above. Look for Zags preseason rankings to be modified significantly as news gets out. Top 10 a stretch now, IMO. Certainly no Number Ones anymore. 10-15 is comfortable.

still no news on Geno
this seems like no news is bad news ... the clock is ticking.
the deadline for a quick fix to this for Fall 18 seems almost used up,
like how Missing Persons reports to police rapidly turn down the hope for a good resolution with each passing week.
I feel my hope turning to Spring Semester or next year ....
while realizing we may never see him on our roster again.
does not feel good to feel these expectations turning down so low ...

jazzdelmar
09-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Proverbial straw in the wind, sad to say The zero is irony maybe.

One small and maybe meaningless, but at least not negative data point.

Geno is still posting to his instagram account, and he still has a profile photo of himself in a Zag uniform with his personal bio saying "gonzaga basketball #0" - so he either is confident that he'll be playing for GU, or else he is updating an account that he knows is an inaccurate representation of his basketball career.

https://www.instagram.com/geno.cero/?hl=en

drvenkman05
09-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Well, then his entire time at UND must have been irony, because that was his number there.

Proverbial straw in the wind, sad to say The zero is irony maybe.

caldwellzag
09-10-2018, 08:53 AM
I think next year is off the table. A 6th year. December a long long shot as noted above. Look for Zags preseason rankings to be modified significantly as news gets out. Top 10 a stretch now, IMO. Certainly no Number Ones anymore. 10-15 is comfortable.

We were ranked top 5 pre-season before he every committed.

jazzdelmar
09-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Maybe so, but the reference was to his would-be number zero at GU.

Well, then his entire time at UND must have been irony, because that was his number there.

jazzdelmar
09-10-2018, 09:03 AM

If so, that’s high IMO. Oodles of potential, lots of question marks. No bell cow like Ammo or the Bonus, a proven take over the game talent. Several candidates, however. And a very thin bench.

doctorzag
09-10-2018, 10:49 AM
If so, that’s high IMO. Oodles of potential, lots of question marks. No bell cow like Ammo or the Bonus, a proven take over the game talent. Several candidates, however. And a very thin bench.

Desperately thin at the guard position. Perkins, Norvell and ???.

jazzdelmar
09-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Bupkis. Exactly. Would love a Frankie Ferrari type backup.

Zagceo
09-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Foster has 15lbs on Joel and

Mark Few had this to say about Foster Jr.: “We’re excited to have Greg join the program. He’s a versatile guard that has a great feel for the game. He can really guard the ball. He’s an exceptional kid coming out of high school, with a tremendous upside.”

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2018/9/9/17820068/2018-2019-player-preview-newcomer-greg-foster-jr

we know good defensive players get rewarded

Rui could be used in spots as PG

MDABE80
09-10-2018, 12:27 PM
When we have Perks, Norvell and Ayayi ( a star unto himself in Europe), Kispert ( for a time to fill in), I don't think GU is desperate out front. We may not have a Nigel but?? It should be remembered that Geno's work is still in progress. He's still working on his credits to transfer.

cggonzaga
09-10-2018, 12:43 PM
When we have Perks, Norvell and Ayayi ( a star unto himself in Europe), Kispert ( for a time to fill in), I don't think GU is desperate out front. We may not have a Nigel but?? It should be remembered that Geno's work is still in progress. He's still working on his credits to transfer.

That’s not enough in the backcourt to win a national championship which is the goal this year.

MDABE80
09-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Actually that's just your opinion. No point to argue it. Geno adds an easier path but as a Number ONE seed PRIOR to Geno looking our way, I and apparently the scribes think we are good enough to win the whole thing.

Zagceo
09-10-2018, 01:21 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmwylXxVAAAqGaJ.jpg

cggonzaga
09-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Actually that's just your opinion. No point to argue it. Geno adds an easier path but as a Number ONE seed PRIOR to Geno looking our way, I and apparently the scribes think we are good enough to win the whole thing.

Fair enough. A lot of things would have to go right. You’d have to admit the margin for error gets much lower without him.

Malastein
09-10-2018, 02:44 PM
I’m just rooting for him to come a board sooner than not!

doctorzag
09-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Can not see Kispert playing the 1 or 2. Ayayi has proven nothing yet at the college level. The Lindys prediction is with Geno by the way.

JAGzag
09-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Experience wins championships. Having two seniors running the show was going to be huge. I’m sure Ayayi will grow into a good player, but RS Freahman isn’t going to fill theses shoes. If Geno isn’t eligible, this is a different team.

bigblahla
09-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Damn this is a long off season..... got four words for ya.... In Few We Trust....

Enjoy the journey and quit the hand wringing.... it's gonna be another wild ride....

Go!! Zags!!!!

Zagceo
09-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Damn this is a long off season..... got four words for ya.... In Few We Trust....

Enjoy the journey and quit the hand wringing.... it's gonna be another wild ride....

Go!! Zags!!!!

don't need to talk about recruits...IFWT
don't need to talk about play........IFWT
don't need to talk schedule .........IFWT

don't need this board :doh:

drvenkman05
09-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Given that he’s had that line and picture from the day he announced he was transferring, the parsimonious explanation is that he is keeping his number and that is all it means. I doubt he was planning this when he announced his transfer.

Maybe so, but the reference was to his would-be number zero at GU.

bigblahla
09-11-2018, 05:39 AM
don't need to talk about recruits...IFWT
don't need to talk about play........IFWT
don't need to talk schedule .........IFWT

don't need this board :doh:

Subjective as to what you think I meant by my post.... if you can tell me how many coins are in my right pants pocket at this writing then I'll know you can read my mind..... I was taught a long time ago that a sign of maturity was knowing when to be quiet, I ignored that this time to answer your subjective reply to my post.... but honestly, in the misquoted but famous words of Rhett Butler.... "Frankly, Scarlett I don't give a damn..."

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
09-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Can not see Kispert playing the 1 or 2. Ayayi has proven nothing yet at the college level. The Lindys prediction is with Geno by the way.
Might not be an issue but as I wrote "for a time as a FILL IN" I can. As for being a Top 5 team, ESPN and CBS did irrespective of Lindy's.

Love to have Geno and he's still working through his courses. If he doesn't make to Spokane, I do think (given the above) that we'll be fine. This morning on ESPN, our Zags are listed as a 4 in rankings right behind Duke, Kentucky and Kansas. I do think we'd be stronger with Geno but we'll be good enough without him.

MileHigh
09-11-2018, 11:02 AM
..Dont know the details, or the logistics on how it might get done, but I hear Geno still plans on getting to Spokane for this season. Mid October is target. Sounds like it is pretty much all on him at this point. Players and coaches just waiting to see what happens, hopeful he gets to Gonzaga, but more than ready to have a great season if he doesnt

thespywhozaggedme
09-11-2018, 11:07 AM
..Dont know the details, or the logistics on how it might get done, but I hear Geno still plans on getting to Spokane for this season. Mid October is target. Sounds like it is pretty much all on him at this point. Players and coaches just waiting to see what happens, hopeful he gets to Gonzaga, but more than ready to have a great season if he doesnt

Does Gonzaga have A block and B block classes? Furman does and that may be a creative way to get him in for this semester.

jazzdelmar
09-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Mile, thanks for that spark of hope. Keep us informed.......

Zagceo
09-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks

JPtheBeasta
09-11-2018, 11:22 AM

I could see Kispert at the 2 in a pinch. He can’t be any less mobile than Blake Stepp was toward the end with the knee problem.

jazzdelmar
09-11-2018, 11:26 AM
I could see Kispert at the 2 in a pinch. He can’t be any less mobile than Blake Stepp was toward the end with the knee problem.

That was the antediluvian Zags. The new paradigm for super 2’s is Donte Divencenzo, or Snacks Norvell.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
09-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Says the guy who has been the most informed poster on the topic the entire offseason!

Really brightened my day. Looking forward to Geno really brightening our chances in March.

Zaga
09-11-2018, 12:06 PM
That was the antediluvian Zags. The new paradigm for super 2’s is Donte Divencenzo, or Snacks Norvell.

Snacks as a super 2...I like it! Hope to see a flood of 3's from this fine Zag against Duke:)

Go Zags

GuZag2012
09-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Here is the graduate programs academic calendar. It states that Gonzaga does have A & B sessions. The A session runs August 28-October 19th and the B session runs October 23 to December 14th. I don’t know how this all works, but to me it looks like if Geno does arrive in mid-October he could hypothetically start class on October 23rd at the start of the B session and still be able to play first semester. On the other hand I could also be completely wrong. Here’s hoping that this is an option though!

https://www.gonzaga.edu/online-graduate-programs/program-admissions/graduate-academic-calendar

Does Gonzaga have A block and B block classes? Furman does and that may be a creative way to get him in for this semester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagceo
09-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Here is the graduate programs academic calendar. It states that Gonzaga does have A & B sessions. The A session runs August 28-October 19th and the B session runs October 23 to December 14th. I don’t know how this all works, but to me it looks like if Geno does arrive in mid-October he could hypothetically start class on October 23rd at the start of the B session and still be able to play first semester. On the other hand I could also be completely wrong. Here’s hoping that this is an option though!

https://www.gonzaga.edu/online-graduate-programs/program-admissions/graduate-academic-calendar

sounds reasonable

thespywhozaggedme
09-11-2018, 02:21 PM

That's kinda what I figured when Milehigh gave us his inside scoop. I did A and B block quite a few times and it really helps expedite the process.

Malastein
09-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Like I have said since the start of this saga, let’s just hope for the best that he is a Zag sooner than not!

GoZags
09-11-2018, 07:44 PM

I know for a fact that Grad Students have started their Grad School at Gonzaga in Session B ... this happened with the daughter of a friend of mine a couple of years ago.

zagsfanforlife
09-11-2018, 08:24 PM
I know for a fact that Grad Students have started their Grad School at Gonzaga in Session B ... this happened with the daughter of a friend of mine a couple of years ago.

Not sure if this has been posted but slipper still fits just posted a podcast with Geno that he stated himself he will start in October. Just in time for Kraziness in Kennell. Wohoooo! Cant wait to see this group. Someone who has more internet intellect can post the podcast online. Its really long.

Radbooks
09-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Here is a link to Gonzaga Guru's Twitter feed with the podcast:

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1039729836414169088

zagsfanforlife
09-11-2018, 08:28 PM

thanks!im tired.

strikenowhere
09-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but slipper still fits just posted a podcast with Geno that he stated himself he will start in October. Just in time for Kraziness in Kennell. Wohoooo! Cant wait to see this group. Someone who has more internet intellect can post the podcast online. Its really long.

Hell yeah!

Zag_Dad
09-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Hell yeah!

Best news all day

gonstu
09-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Gotta go re-purchase my final 4 tix that I had just sold...

milehigh saves the day again :) As someone said earlier - thanks for the spark of hope

ZagNative
09-11-2018, 09:00 PM

Man, that was a long, boring interview, with the payoff news about his expected October arrival at GU in the last 30 seconds.

willandi
09-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Man, that was a long, boring interview, with the payoff news about his expected October arrival at GU in the last 30 seconds.

I stopped at 12 minutes. Was it really 2 hours+?

Zagger
09-12-2018, 02:39 AM

I was going to leave town for a CA/HI vacation on 10/6 .... until I realized that's KITK. Now going to leave on 10/7 :)

kitzbuel
09-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Gotta go re-purchase my final 4 tix that I had just sold...

milehigh saves the day again :) As someone said earlier - thanks for the spark of hope
LOL. Everybody back on board the bandwagon!

jazzdelmar
09-12-2018, 04:05 AM
Birds in the know are chirping.:D

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-12-2018, 05:39 AM

Fantastic! Very happy for Geno, the Zags and especially the coaches who apparently will not have to onboard a brand new player in January. Still will be quite a challenge to get Geno up to speed on the team’s offensive and defensive concepts quick enough for him to play major minutes in the early season, but that’s a good problem.

thespywhozaggedme
09-12-2018, 05:43 AM
Great news! See it all works out in the end.

drvenkman05
09-12-2018, 06:31 AM
Oh, no, no, no, my fried! October starts with "O," which looks just like 0. This is all irony on his part!

Great news! See it all works out in the end.

caldwellzag
09-12-2018, 06:32 AM
This is great news! Can't wait to see Geno in action this fall!

Birddog
09-12-2018, 06:48 AM
This is very good news. Now the coaching staff won't have to explain their lack of due diligence in signing Geno.

thespywhozaggedme
09-12-2018, 07:00 AM
This is very good news. Now the coaching staff won't have to explain their lack of due diligence in signing Geno.

ha!

Markburn1
09-12-2018, 07:05 AM

I'm not much into, "I told you so", but I'm going to quote myself from 09-01-18.

"When it comes to Crandall, the panic level around here is unwarranted. If any organization warrants the benefit of the doubt it is Zags basketball. No matter how it turns out they deserve at least that. So far the story from the Zags SID is that they are working out the details. I'm willing to wait and see and I wouldn't bet against Crandall being in uniform to start the season. Even if that turns out to be wrong, I'm not going to question their approach here. They have been exemplary in their handling of the kids and their academics."

I'm not saying this whole thing is over now, but jumping out the window of skyscrapers was never warranted concerning Geno. The hysteria was way over the top.

former1dog
09-12-2018, 07:15 AM
I'm not saying this whole thing is over now, but jumping out the window of skyscrapers was never warranted concerning Geno. The hysteria was way over the top.

Indeed!!

Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious, but apparently was not.

Goshzagit
09-12-2018, 07:31 AM
Geno has started at the D1 lvl for 3 yrs, and played in NCAA for 4 yrs.

He still needs pre-season practice, so this is great news.

A mid-December, or even January arrival would have been darn near impossible to pull off. Even if March was the goal.

To have a full month of playing with the guys, watching film, learning the offense, his role, developing chemistry, etc is great news and much much needed.

Awesome!

ps. Geno had 21 credits remaining at the end of last May, so talk about an incredible feat to complete in just 3 months! Props to him. Also, given that he was enrolled at UND for 8 semesters & 4 summer sessions (he averaged b/w 8-10 credits a semester based on requirements), goes to show how much better Gonzaga plans and works with their athletes as we graduate guys in 4 yrs, or less pretty consistently.

LongIslandZagFan
09-12-2018, 07:47 AM
This is why speculation and pure unadulterated negativity isn't worth it on these boards. Lack of understanding of how higher ed works combined with limited information leads to grossly exaggerated assumptions. Per Slipper Still fits... he'll be enrolled starting in October for second graduate session.

Back to my cave.

Later.

bdmiller7
09-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Geno has started at the D1 lvl for 3 yrs, and played in NCAA for 4 yrs.

He still needs pre-season practice, so this is great news.

A mid-December, or even January arrival would have been darn near impossible to pull off. Even if March was the goal.

To have a full month of playing with the guys, watching film, learning the offense, his role, developing chemistry, etc is great news and much much needed.

Awesome!

ps. Geno had 21 credits remaining at the end of last May, so talk about an incredible feat to complete in just 3 months! Props to him. Also, given that he was enrolled at UND for 8 semesters & 4 summer sessions (he averaged b/w 8-10 credits a semester based on requirements), goes to show how much better Gonzaga plans and works with their athletes as we graduate guys in 4 yrs, or less pretty consistently.

Or maybe he changed majors or something during his time and set him back a little on the 4 year plan. I changed majors twice and basically started over after 2 years, graduated in 5 and a half. Not every 18 year old enters college knowing exactly what they want to do. I'd assume you have to take more than 8 credits a semester to be eligible.

Zagceo
09-12-2018, 08:01 AM
seemed premature pulling Geno off the roster before all the deadlines had passed IMO

LongIslandZagFan
09-12-2018, 08:12 AM
seemed premature pulling Geno off the roster before all the deadlines had passed IMO

JMHO... if he isn't enrolled (at the time that was the case)... then he shouldn't show on the roster. Think we need to stop reading too much into this.

JPtheBeasta
09-12-2018, 09:18 AM
This is why speculation and pure unadulterated negativity isn't worth it on these boards. Lack of understanding of how higher ed works combined with limited information leads to grossly exaggerated assumptions. Per Slipper Still fits... he'll be enrolled starting in October for second graduate session.

Back to my cave.

Later.

It seems to me that graduate programs could be more flexible for enrollment dates, given that so much of it is independent study. I agree about the negativity and am assuming the best, still. You have a better view from your cave than most, given your exposure to higher ed.

JPtheBeasta
09-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Point taken, but Kispert wouldn’t be a total disaster in my view.

Reborn
09-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Best news all day

Heck! Best news all month. I've been waiting for this. I'm really happy this morning. Can't wait to see him play.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Geno Crandall says on podcast he’ll enroll at Gonzaga in October

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/12/geno-crandall-says-on-podcast-hell-enroll-at-gonza/

Spokesman review follow up

that he needed 19 credits to finish his degree.

“Which taking those (19 credits) over the course of the summer my school wouldn’t even let me take that many credits without getting it signed off by the Dean,” Crandall said. “When I tell people I’m busy, I’m doing school. I’ve had a crazy amount of school work I had to do over the summer.”

Later in the 2-hour plus podcast, Crandall said he expects to arrive on campus in the first week of October to begin grad school and work toward a master’s degree. Online graduate classes for second session begin Oct. 23 and conclude Dec. 14.

JPtheBeasta
09-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Boom. Texaszagfan, this might call for a celebratory meme.

willandi
09-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Couldn't Crandall have pulled a NC and had somebody write the papers for him? That is OK according to prior NCAA actions...and the Zags are close enough to blue bloods that they should count!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jazzdelmar
09-12-2018, 11:32 AM
The back slapping here has reached defcon 1.

Markburn1
09-12-2018, 12:06 PM
The back slapping here has reached defcon 1.
Better than the self inflicted wounds that were in evidence beforehand.

jazzdelmar
09-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Better than the self inflicted wounds that were in evidence beforehand.

Six to one, half a dozen to the other.

MDABE80
09-12-2018, 01:08 PM
All the fuss over a post when he wasn't included on the team roster. He's been doing his work all Summer so he can get here. Panic set in. It didn't need to be a panic situation at all. I think it'll be nice to have Geno but without him we still were a top 5 team and had a No 1 seed. And that is historical for our program.

Markburn1
09-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Six to one, half a dozen to the other.

I suppose. Final diagnosis might be “Manic Depressive “.

doctorzag
09-12-2018, 02:01 PM
All the fuss over a post when he wasn't included on the team roster. He's been doing his work all Summer so he can get here. Panic set in. It didn't need to be a panic situation at all. I think it'll be nice to have Geno but without him we still were a top 5 team and had a No 1 seed. And that is historical for our program.

I think Jim Meehan started the whole meltdown with his Tweet back on August 29. Usually he is well informed. Obviously not this time.

MDABE80
09-12-2018, 02:41 PM
True enough DZ. When conjecture goes beyond the facts, there's bound to be inaccuracies. Very good Guy Jim...even the best of us throws "high and outside" on a 3-2 count sometimes.

ZagDad84
09-12-2018, 03:24 PM
I find it quite interesting that numerous posters keep referring to the "negative" posts about Geno, when personally, other than a couple of posts calling out Geno for not completing his side of the agreement or the posts calling out Few and staff for not doing their due diligence, I did not see too many negative posts.

Geno did not graduate in August as we, the posters on this board expected, and he did not enroll at GU in August as "we" expected. Any posts that looked at how he could still enroll at GU either this fall or by second semester are not, IMO, negative posts. Simple discussion (imagine that, discussion on a "discussion" board) based on the info "we" had available (or speculated) at the time. Some discussion was positive that Geno would still be at GU either this fall or by second semester, some of the other discussion was not so positive.

Now we have at least some information that Geno was never going to graduate in August because of the number of credits required to be completed. He is expecting to graduate in Sept/Oct from UND and enroll at GU for Session "B" at GU in mid-Oct. Positive news for GU fans.

BUT, Geno still has to graduate from UND (apparently has not graduated yet), and still has to enroll at GU before he can practice and become a member of the GU Mbb.

While some of you are trying very hard to break your arms patting yourselves on the back, you may want to hold the celebration, until Geno actually graduates and enrolls at GU. Until then, all we have is better news than we had yesterday, but nothing that is set in stone. Not being a negative nanny, just pointing out the obvious.

Lots of reason to be very positive that Geno will play for the Zags this year and the outlook for the season is looking very good. But, before dishing out on other posters and breaking out the cake and candles, you might want to wait until Geno is on campus and on the court. Or did you learn nothing from the previous discussion on this post by putting the cart before the horse??

ZagDad

ZagNative
09-12-2018, 03:33 PM
That's a good post, ZagDad84.

MileHigh
09-12-2018, 04:49 PM
I think Jim Meehan started the whole meltdown with his Tweet back on August 29. Usually he is well informed. Obviously not this time.

He was well informed. The fact that Geno did not graduate in August was a surprise to everyone (most of all the staff) because he had assured them that he would. Trust me when I say the staff was (and is) very concerned about how this will turn out. Geno is now on Plan B which would get him his degree in October, at which point he could transfer. Hopefully he gets it done. Sounds like he is confident, but I don't think anyone is inking him onto the roster until he actually shows up and enrolls

ZagNative
09-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Another smart post, from MileHigh ... Thanks for the helpful perspective.

Zagceo
09-12-2018, 05:18 PM
In the beginning someone told someone to put Geno on the roster. The ususal grad transfer expectation.

until they got the call and said take him off the roster. Now plan B

It surprised all

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-12-2018, 05:29 PM
He was well informed. The fact that Geno did not graduate in August was a surprise to everyone (most of all the staff) because he had assured them that he would. Trust me when I say the staff was (and is) very concerned about how this will turn out. Geno is now on Plan B which would get him his degree in October, at which point he could transfer. Hopefully he gets it done. Sounds like he is confident, but I don't think anyone is inking him onto the roster until he actually shows up and enrolls

I’m surprised to hear the staff was surprised he wasn’t ready to enroll for start of fall semester. They thought a student athlete who had apparently never completed more than 10-12 credit hours in a semester was suddenly going to complete something like 19 credit hours in one summer, when courses are more condensed?

Sorry but that’s some head-in-sand wishful thinking right there. Hope it all works out for Geno’s sake. but Zag coaching staff maybe ought to do some self reflection on this and meet with a few academic advisors to better understand what a realistic summer course load is. This whole drama has taken some luster off the Coach Few only does things the right way shine...Zags teasing the line a bit in their urgency to land a key piece for a championship run.

soccerdud
09-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Sorry but that’s some head-in-sand wishful thinking right there. Hope it all works out for Geno’s sake. but Zag coaching staff maybe ought to do some self reflection on this and meet with a few academic advisors to better understand what a realistic summer course load is. This whole drama has taken some luster off the Coach Few only does things the right way shine...Zags teasing the line a bit in their urgency to land a key piece for a championship run.

... maybe for you. i haven't seen anything to make me feel that way. we have an open scholarship, a need, and exactly one (known) available player with the interest/willingness and skills to fill both (which sounds like justification... but for/of what?). that player had a plan A and, apparently, a plan B to get on campus in time for the season. yeah, plan A was probably a little optimistic and didn't work out-- but i see nothing in the entire process that indicts the zag program or coaches. both paths are entirely logical and legal-- and even if i make an effort to be unreasonably judge-y, are no worse regarding "the student in student-athlete" than accepting a grad transfer who has no interest in the graduate program they are pursuing (extremely common, and not something i'm judging ANY team for).

to my knowledge, the coaching staff didn't bend or break any rules (even in spirit) and didn't make any sort of weird exception here... they just pursued the best piece available and are now stuck waiting for him to finish up his end. this is not ideal, but if you wanna question whether the staff does things the right way, you're going to need a much more specific allegation for me to take it seriously.

JPtheBeasta
09-12-2018, 06:16 PM
It’s ok to take a flier every once and a while.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-12-2018, 06:39 PM
... maybe for you. i haven't seen anything to make me feel that way. we have an open scholarship, a need, and exactly one (known) available player with the interest/willingness and skills to fill both (which sounds like justification... but for/of what?). that player had a plan A and, apparently, a plan B to get on campus in time for the season. yeah, plan A was probably a little optimistic and didn't work out-- but i see nothing in the entire process that indicts the zag program or coaches. both paths are entirely logical and legal-- and even if i make an effort to be unreasonably judge-y, are no worse regarding "the student in student-athlete" than accepting a grad transfer who has no interest in the graduate program they are pursuing (extremely common, and not something i'm judging ANY team for).

to my knowledge, the coaching staff didn't bend or break any rules (even in spirit) and didn't make any sort of weird exception here... they just pursued the best piece available and are now stuck waiting for him to finish up his end. this is not ideal, but if you wanna question whether the staff does things the right way, you're going to need a much more specific allegation for me to take it seriously.

I guess I just prefer to follow the spirit of the law rather than cite the letter of the law.

bdmiller7
09-12-2018, 06:53 PM
I’m surprised to hear the staff was surprised he wasn’t ready to enroll for start of fall semester. They thought a student athlete who had apparently never completed more than 10-12 credit hours in a semester was suddenly going to complete something like 19 credit hours in one summer, when courses are more condensed?

He had to take a minimum of 12 credits a semester to be eligible for basketball. I've seen comments on this board suggesting he only took 8 or 10 a semester implying he is lazy or a poor student athlete without knowing anything about him. When I graduated I had almost 180 credits because I changed majors twice and took some electives I enjoyed. Not everyone knows exactly what they want to do when they're 18. His plan may have been redshirting and being at North Dakota 5 years, until the end of last year when a different opportunity arose to transfer up possibly. We don't know much about these players, but he we sure like to point out where they've gone wrong.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just tired of people acting like you just get 120 credits in 4 years and they give a degree. Not that black and white for probably 95 percent of students.

gonstu
09-12-2018, 07:11 PM

Just resold my final 4 tix again

VaBeachZAG
09-12-2018, 07:28 PM
I guess I just prefer to follow the spirit of the law rather than cite the letter of the law.

??? The spirit of the law is in the eyes of the beholder (i.e., different people subscribe different meanings to what a specific law is/means. The letter of the law is unambiguous. When raising issues about the propriety of actions by others (e.g., the coaching staff or Geno), I go with the letter of the law. Without anything more specific that preferring the spirit of the law, you are just blowing hot air.

soccerdud
09-12-2018, 08:03 PM

and i don't see how they violated either, at this point. nor do i see any point along the way where they should have done anything differently. are you suggesting that they either shouldn't have recruited him at all or should have dumped him because of an august -> october slip? when that's not against the rules and doesn't negatively impact the student-athlete, the team, or the spirit of competition? you're insinuating impropriety, and i just honestly have no idea what ideal you're trying to uphold. taking summer classes to graduate is ok, but taking fall classes to graduate isn't? are you assigning magical properties to undergraduate enrollment dates? how does any of this make you suddenly call into question whether few and co "run the program the right way"?

sittingon50
09-12-2018, 09:58 PM

Maybe Jeff Sessions could get involved if he is otherwise not preoccupied.

ZagNative
09-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Maybe Jeff Sessions could get involved if he is otherwise not preoccupied.Very, very good, 50!

Mantua
09-12-2018, 10:50 PM
I’m celebrating anyway!

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-13-2018, 02:52 AM
and i don't see how they violated either, at this point. nor do i see any point along the way where they should have done anything differently. are you suggesting that they either shouldn't have recruited him at all or should have dumped him because of an august -> october slip? when that's not against the rules and doesn't negatively impact the student-athlete, the team, or the spirit of competition? you're insinuating impropriety, and i just honestly have no idea what ideal you're trying to uphold. taking summer classes to graduate is ok, but taking fall classes to graduate isn't? are you assigning magical properties to undergraduate enrollment dates? how does any of this make you suddenly call into question whether few and co "run the program the right way"?

Mea culpa, mea culpa. All these replies to my spirit of the law comment are causing me to reconsider my statement. First and foremost, is it true all D1 players must be enrolled in and complete 12 credit hours per semester to remain eligible? If so, that fact alone would undermine my position that Zags possibly were not really honoring the spirit of the purpose of higher education and needs of the student-athlete by expecting Geno to be able to complete something like 19 credit hours in a single summer. If he has in fact been completing 12 hours every semester, then I too would embrace his plan to push himself a little harder one summer in order to pursue his dream of playing for a title contender his final year.

I’m a huge fan of Gonzaga ever since living in Spokane from ‘92-‘93. What I love most is their unique culture and impeccable reputation and how the players are embraced by the community and vice versa. I’m thrilled w the upward trajectory of talent this program has enjoyed and accompanying expectations & intent to win a championship. If it even appears like some of the former characteristics may be diminishing for the sake of achieving the latter, it pains me. I hope that never in fact happens and apologize for suggesting this instance of Genos eligibility and grad transfer may suggest it is starting to happen.

kitzbuel
09-13-2018, 03:03 AM
Just resold my final 4 tix again

That’s it. Everybody off the bandwagon.

jazzdelmar
09-13-2018, 03:09 AM
Mile High giveth. And MileHigh taketh away.

LongIslandZagFan
09-13-2018, 04:27 AM
SMDH.

JPtheBeasta
09-13-2018, 05:40 AM
Given the possible scenario of Geno not coming to GU at all, an October start seems like a win. He may not be ready to go for the start of the season on that scenario but he could still be a solid contributor when he is really needed down the stretch.

willandi
09-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Given the possible scenario of Geno not coming to GU at all, an October start seems like a win. He may not be ready to go for the start of the season on that scenario but he could still be a solid contributor when he is really needed down the stretch.

True, but I would expect, given his basketball history, that he could spell Josh for a few moments each game. Long enough for Josh to catch his breath, or in case of foul trouble.

JPtheBeasta
09-13-2018, 10:56 AM
True, but I would expect, given his basketball history, that he could spell Josh for a few moments each game. Long enough for Josh to catch his breath, or in case of foul trouble.

I agree.

ZagDad84
09-13-2018, 11:22 AM
As I read through this thread again, this post by Zagsker stuck in my craw and it should for every GU graduate (see the quote in bold). I realize this is a Mbb discussion board, and I apologize for the thread jack.

In what way?

Basketball wise we are a top notch program, with high caliber players and some knucklehead players here and there, much like other programs that are perennial top 20 teams.

As far as a school...the school is only relevant because of the men's basketball team...your personal experiences at Gonzaga are no different than many other students who feel their University is "special"

Mark Few and his staff is what makes GU special...they know who they want, stick too and evolve their system as needed...we are extremely fortunate we landed a guy who is happy with where he is at..much like a Coach K, Self, Williams and Izzo

Most of us on this board realize the benefits that Mbb has brought to Gonzaga in terms of national exposure, donations, and increase in student population among others. The current student body and the alumni have all have benefitted from the rise of the Mbb program.

However, as a university and their quality of education were relevant way before the emergence of the Mbb program. Here is link to an article from US News and World Report (dated September 9, 2018), so that you can educate yourself on the "relevance" of Gonzaga as a university that has nothing to do with Mbb. While Gonzaga has a top 5 Mbb team, they are much more than just basketball.

Link: https://www.gonzaga.edu/news-events/stories/2018/9/9/us-news-ranks-gonzaga-no-4-in-west-2019

As a highlight, here is a piece of the article for you to chew on:

This marks the 20th consecutive year that Gonzaga has been ranked among the top four regional universities in the West, and the 24th consecutive year (31st in the past 34 years) it has been ranked among the best regional universities.

While GU may only be relevant to you because of Mbb, GU has been relevant in the college education business to those in the know for much longer. Maybe now you can understand while those of use who are graduates, wish to protect and promote all things GU, just not the Mbb.

Sorry for the interruption, now back to your regular programming.

ZagDad

Bulldoginseattle
09-13-2018, 12:07 PM
As I read through this thread again, this post by Zagsker stuck in my craw and it should for every GU graduate (see the quote in bold). I realize this is a Mbb discussion board, and I apologize for the thread jack.

Most of us on this board realize the benefits that Mbb has brought to Gonzaga in terms of national exposure, donations, and increase in student population among others. The current student body and the alumni have all have benefitted from the rise of the Mbb program.

However, as a university and their quality of education were relevant way before the emergence of the Mbb program. Here is link to an article from US News and World Report (dated September 9, 2018), so that you can educate yourself on the "relevance" of Gonzaga as a university that has nothing to do with Mbb. While Gonzaga has a top 5 Mbb team, they are much more than just basketball.

Link: https://www.gonzaga.edu/news-events/stories/2018/9/9/us-news-ranks-gonzaga-no-4-in-west-2019

While GU may only be relevant to you because of Mbb, GU has been relevant in the college education business to those in the know for much longer. Maybe now you can understand while those of use who are graduates, wish to protect and promote all things GU, just not the Mbb.

ZagDad

I tend to lurk more often than not, but this quote is spot on. I'd take it one step further and ask if the university is special because of the basketball program, or if the program is special because of the university. There are multiple universities in the space of GU with basketball programs, yet none have had the commitment or sense of foresight to lead the program to the relevance they've been able to achieve (with Duke as the rare outlier).

Anyways, I'm hoping Geno is able to help and pull everything together. He seems like a smart, thoughtful man who bit off more than he was able to chew. If he doesn't, we'll be fine, if not a bit thin.

MDABE80
09-13-2018, 12:16 PM

ZagDad
Thoughtful post. I saw it too and was wondering if someone might take some issue. One thing in particular for me is the Jesuit constructs that still suffuse GU. Take it from someone who's lectures, attended and worked at many of these schools, GU is particularly different. It's hard to pick one thing out.....but it's just different.

JAGzag
09-13-2018, 12:28 PM
This thread may win the “most times highjacked” award.

ZagDad84
09-13-2018, 12:33 PM

What do I win??

Thank you for contributing to the highjack club.

ZagDad

MDABE80
09-13-2018, 12:43 PM
True enough. Is it snowing there yet?<--REALLY hijacked now;)

Robzagnut
09-13-2018, 01:26 PM
I tend to lurk more often than not, but this quote is spot on. I'd take it one step further and ask if the university is special because of the basketball program, or if the program is special because of the university. There are multiple universities in the space of GU with basketball programs, yet none have had the commitment or sense of foresight to lead the program to the relevance they've been able to achieve (with Duke as the rare outlier).

Anyways, I'm hoping Geno is able to help and pull everything together. He seems like a smart, thoughtful man who bit off more than he was able to chew. If he doesn't, we'll be fine, if not a bit thin.

Both. But, we'll never know if men's basketball saved GU. I remember reading an article or two about GU being over a million dollars in debt, sinking further in debt and enrollment numbers falling lower and lower every year. Then the perfect storm (Fitzgerald getting sacked, Few & Monson) with the Elite 8 and it changed everything. It would be an interesting case study.

willandi
09-13-2018, 02:42 PM
What do I win??

Thank you for contributing to the highjack club.

ZagDad

An 'All expenses paid trip" from your living room to your dining room!

Markburn1
09-13-2018, 03:18 PM
When some loud braggart tries to put me down
And says his school is great
I tell him right away
"Now what's the matter buddy
Ain't you heard of my school
It's number one in the state"

[Chorus]
So be true to your school now
Just like you would to your girl or guy
Be true to your school now
And let your colors fly
Be true to your school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7sLDziV2hs

Except if you are Geno. Go ahead and transfer. And then be true.

sittingon50
09-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Except if you are Geno. Go ahead and transfer. And then be true.

:roll:

DixieZag
09-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Circumstances took me elsewhere for a week, now seeing that there's a possibility Geno might be here in October? That seems like an unmitigated win, given the choice of not having him at all. I still believe we benefit even if he starts in December. This team really does need depth at that position and having a half season is still a net positive, even acknowledging chemistry concerns. Really, if all Geno did was explode for 15 in the "just right" second half of a game in March and he pays every dividend, and he sure seems to be that type of player.

Besides, if there is a team better positioned to "ease in" a player in the mid-way point of the semester, given our conference, I wouldn't know where to find it. Seems like a natural way to bring him up to speed without risking much.

As for credits, it sure was ambitious, but we know almost nothing. If a good slice of it were easy mandatory electives, it would explain some of it.

And I don't know what is wrong with the coaches taking some risk on him, and that position. It's not like they denied a kid the scholarship, it sure seems like it would have carried over unused, or used by walk-on. Why can't the coaches roll the dice where the "loss" is literally almost nothing? Seems kind of senseless not to at least try.

I still believe Geno will wear a Zag uniform.

tyra
09-14-2018, 04:08 AM
Does anyone know what the rule is about how soon he can start practicing with the team? If he has finished his undergrad work and is enrolled for the October session, can he start practicing prior to the actual start of the October classes?

TexasZagFan
09-14-2018, 04:51 AM

IMHO, the two go hand in hand. Undoubtedly, the lightning from 1999 set the stage for the growth at GU. Don't forget the leadership of Fr. Spitzer in recognizing the opportunity.

It's now over 40 years since I graduated, and I cherish my time there more than a non-alum could imagine...the education I received, the friends I've retained to this day, and the people that impacted my life and growth immensely: Dan Brajcich, Fr. Tony, Fr. Gerry Kohls, SGM Tom Williams, to name just a few. And to all my buds who made life enjoyable in DeSmet, such as Pre, Foxy, Birdman, Tod Doran, Schiff, and GoZags, these are not men to be found on your usual college campus.

Then there's my "band of brothers" from ROTC, several who went on to distinguished military careers. As a whole, over half of our class went to Airborne School, and a third would earn Ranger tabs. 40 years later, the Zag ROTC program continues to rank in the top ten nationwide.

No, GU is not your "typical" small university. Over the years, I've been asked (usually during March Madness) what my experience at GU was like, by those who knew the school only for our basketball program, i.e. those who attended mega state universities. I dust off a couple of stories, and the usual response back is "damn, my college experience was NOTHING like that."

The success of the basketball program is icing on the cake for me. It has given me a chance for spending more quality time with my kids and grandson, and making new friends on this board. And it brings a smile to my face when one of my sons remarks "no matter where we go for a game, you always see someone you know...it's crazy". I look forward to continuing that streak in Omaha on December 1st.

thespywhozaggedme
09-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Does anyone know what the rule is about how soon he can start practicing with the team? If he has finished his undergrad work and is enrolled for the October session, can he start practicing prior to the actual start of the October classes?

Yes, just like football players start summer camp before classes start

GoZags
09-14-2018, 06:43 AM

Session B (Grad School) starts October 23, and it's been stated that Geno will be a Zag and participate in Krazy in the Kennel on October 6. That's if everything goes as expected.

West Side Lady
09-14-2018, 07:00 AM
I'm optimistic. I bet he pulls if off and enrolls in October. I listened to parts of that long podcast and my sense is he's strongly motivated to get here.

JPtheBeasta
09-14-2018, 09:37 AM

It seems he could get away with pickup ball with the players without coaches around, but I could be wrong. They could theoretically teach him some of the team concepts. But maybe that only applies in the off season.

Mantua
09-14-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm optimistic. I bet he pulls if off and enrolls in October. I listened to parts of that long podcast and my sense is he's strongly motivated to get here.

That’s my take.

I think the initial worry and disappointment on our part was fine, but I think it’s time to stop uninformed speculating about a great kid and our coach’s character and judgement.

NotoriousZ
09-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Session B (Grad School) starts October 23, and it's been stated that Geno will be a Zag and participate in Krazy in the Kennel on October 6. That's if everything goes as expected.

That would be the best outcome, hope to see him at the Kraziness!

Unfortunately, he’s probably not going to make it on time to be on the team poster. It’s a small detail in the big picture, but I do enjoy the team schedule poster each season. In our Final Four year Jordan Mathews made it on the poster but was left off of the refrigerator magnet (I’m sure it was also a timing issue).

Maybe WooHoo can include player pics on his Schedule of Destiny. No pressure, WooHoo. :)

Reborn
09-14-2018, 11:57 AM
All is well in ZagNation. Geno will be right on time. I'm smiling, and NOT worried a bit. Why is anyone worried? Maybe they are just that kind of person=not happy unless they have something to worry about.

Go Zags!!!

primal23
09-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Question I have, actually heard it raised on a podcast, will und allow him to graduate before December to allow him to start grad school?
Have no idea how that works in academia so might not be a big deal.

LongIslandZagFan
09-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Question I have, actually heard it raised on a podcast, will und allow him to graduate before December to allow him to start grad school?
Have no idea how that works in academia so might not be a big deal.

As long as his grades are in... no incompletes... bills are all paid up... they can't legally hold his degree. As I said earlier... degrees can be conferred at any time regardless of when the ceremony takes place. Example... My daughter finished in December and had her degree conferred in early January (had to wait for grades). She "walked" in May even though she has had a job since March. I am quite sure that if Geno needs the grades put in fast, the profs will be more than happy to oblige. If they don't there is something wrong with them.

I am just going to guess that what he is doing at this point probably borders on independent study or thesis type classes where the "end date" is a bit looser.

Zagsker
09-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Both. But, we'll never know if men's basketball saved GU. I remember reading an article or two about GU being over a million dollars in debt, sinking further in debt and enrollment numbers falling lower and lower every year. Then the perfect storm (Fitzgerald getting sacked, Few & Monson) with the Elite 8 and it changed everything. It would be an interesting case study.

Yeah, the fact that GU was floundering before the run is fact. Do I know for fact that the basketball saved GU from being a Whitworth level of school? No...but one could reasonably assume it had a HUGE x alot impact.

People's personal experiences and memories at GU prior to basketball taking off is irrelevant to the discussion as anyone (for the most part) at any college/university has the same fond memories

ZagDad84
09-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Yeah, the fact that GU was floundering before the run is fact. Do I know for fact that the basketball saved GU from being a Whitworth level of school? No...but one could reasonably assume it had a HUGE x alot impact.

People's personal experiences and memories at GU prior to basketball taking off is irrelevant to the discussion as anyone (for the most part) at any college/university has the same fond memories

Zagster:

Not going to argue, because you know no more than I do. I personally did not include any personal experiences because of the total dismissal of this argument by others. Hence why I posted an independent article concerning GU's educational standing amongst those in the know. I even highlighted one part for you. Here let me do it again:

This marks the 20th consecutive year that Gonzaga has been ranked among the top four regional universities in the West, and the 24th consecutive year (31st in the past 34 years) it has been ranked among the best regional universities.

The above was occurring long before Monson and Few elevated the Basketball team to its current level. There is no doubt, that Mbb has certainly elevated Gonzaga's stature, elevated the amount of donations, made new facilities possible, etc. But "saved" Gonzaga is pure conjecture. I personally consider the fact that GU has been rated among the top four regional universities in the West, 24th consecutive year (31 out of the last 34) it has been ranked among the best regional universities "Relevant". At least relevant in the primary purpose of Gonzaga as in educating students. If you don't consider educating students as relevant, I am sorry, but I can't help you. You might try the Kentucky Mbb board, their Mbb program apparently does not care about educating their athletes (my bad, student-athletes).

I personally find absolutely nothing wrong with Whitworth. They are a very fine educational facility.

ZagDad

GoZags
09-14-2018, 06:18 PM

I'll beg to differ with your comment. Sure, there are others who (rightly) reflect warmly on their experiences at U.P.S., Eastern, Central, or any other college/university. However, I don't think those guys are subjected to outsiders (i.e. folks who didn't experience attending/graduating from their school) telling them how they should feel about their school, their academics, or their basketball program for that matter.

Malastein
09-14-2018, 07:57 PM
We certainly live in a era where if an opinion can be expressed then it often is whether or not it has any merit matters not much at all. I’d be surprised if UND did anything but help Geno on getting graduated to move onto a final year at Gonzaga. He has been an excellent player for them, and I’m sure they appreciate his time there. Gonzaga is lucky to have him, and hopefully can win the whole dang thing this year!

ZagDad84
09-14-2018, 08:42 PM
We certainly live in a era where if an opinion can be expressed then it often is whether or not it has any merit matters not much at all. I’d be surprised if UND did anything but help Geno on getting graduated to move onto a final year at Gonzaga. He has been an excellent player for them, and I’m sure they appreciate his time there. Gonzaga is lucky to have him, and hopefully can win the whole dang thing this year!

I hope you are right, but this goes against my experience, particularly in larger state universities.

My experience, admittedly many, many years ago, is that the vast majority of professors, particularly in my master's program, could not give 2 hoots about student athletes. Student athletes miss a lot of classes, require different deadlines for assignments and/or exams. In general, student athletes are an additional burden on professors. In my experience, most of the professors would not through up any roadblocks to Geno's graduation, they also may not be inclined to bend over backwards to help Geno either.

Let's hope for the best that he will be on campus and enrolled within the next 3 or 4 weeks.

ZagDad

MDABE80
09-14-2018, 10:09 PM
"Over a million dollars in debt" is hardly "foundering". Sometimes debt is good and considering the lawyers/tax guys GU has at its disposal, if it was only a million or two, I doubt anyone even worked up a mild sweat over it. This is not to say Basketball success hasn't help the financial picture at GU but it's hardly the savior of Zagland...
Not to argue a point no matter how fine the point might be.

LongIslandZagFan
09-15-2018, 06:09 AM
I hope you are right, but this goes against my experience, particularly in larger state universities.

My experience, admittedly many, many years ago, is that the vast majority of professors, particularly in my master's program, could not give 2 hoots about student athletes. Student athletes miss a lot of classes, require different deadlines for assignments and/or exams. In general, student athletes are an additional burden on professors. In my experience, most of the professors would not through up any roadblocks to Geno's graduation, they also may not be inclined to bend over backwards to help Geno either.

Let's hope for the best that he will be on campus and enrolled within the next 3 or 4 weeks.

ZagDad

I beg to differ. I don't think they would give a hoot whether the kid is a student athlete... they care they are a student. Period. That is who they serve. Students. If a kid wants to graduate as early as possible, I highly doubt any professor let alone an administrator would slow it down intentionally because the kid is leaving to play sports somewhere else.

Zagcity
09-15-2018, 07:18 AM
I beg to differ. I don't think they would give a hoot whether the kid is a student athlete... they care they are a student. Period. That is who they serve. Students. If a kid wants to graduate as early as possible, I highly doubt any professor let alone an administrator would slow it down intentionally because the kid is leaving to play sports somewhere else.

That would be my take :fingergun:

madzag
09-15-2018, 07:29 AM

^^This. While student athletes inherently require some accommodations during competition season, their absences are typically planned (excepting end of season tournament travel) which is MUCH easier to manage than the kid who emails the morning of a quiz/exam that they’re sick, etc. There are also typically mechanisms by which a member of the coaching staff can proctor exams on the road if needed, and the tutoring/academic support for athletes (plus increased monitoring of progress, for our athletes there are quarter-semester check-ins) helps catch and assist struggling students earlier than we can for the general population, even at a small school. They’re also, on average, more aware of schedules, the importance of communication, etc than other students which makes it easier for us to serve them as students.

Back on topic, glad it sounds like Geno will have an opportunity to finish up at UND and join for the late-semester grad enrollment, both for his plans as a student/athlete and also for the benefit of the team.

TexasZagFan
09-15-2018, 08:15 AM
"Over a million dollars in debt" is hardly "foundering". Sometimes debt is good and considering the lawyers/tax guys GU has at its disposal, if it was only a million or two, I doubt anyone even worked up a mild sweat over it. This is not to say Basketball success hasn't help the financial picture at GU but it's hardly the savior of Zagland...
Not to argue a point no matter how fine the point might be.

Fr. Robert Spitzer was a visionary, he saw the opportunity presented by the national coverage of the Zags from 99-02, and he acted on it. He is as dynamic and persuasive as speaker as I have ever seen, and we were lucky that he was president of the university for a decade.

The two went hand in hand, i.e. the basketball program and Fr. Spitzer.

ZagDad84
09-15-2018, 10:39 AM

As I said, based on "My" personal experience. I (and 5 other students) had a single professor hold up our graduation for six weeks for no reason except that he could. It held up not only my graduation but also a job promotion and raise.

Maybe not a common occurrence, but it does happen. Let's hope everybody has Geno's best interest in mind.

ZagDad

229SintoZag
09-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Gonzaga was never in sufficient danger financially in the late 1990s to threaten the survival or viability of the school. This myth needs to be put to bed.

Basketball has been a great windfall. But even if it never happened Gonzaga would have been fine and would have thrived and it would still be Gonzaga—a special place with special people. Anyone whos’s been a student and understands the concept of “Zag material” knows this.

Our basketball program has thrived in substantial part because Gonzaga already was what it is. Not vice versa.

Many who are not Zags will never understand this. So be it.

Zagceo
09-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Gonzaga was never in sufficient danger financially in the late 1990 to threaten the survival or viability of the school. This myth needs to be put to bed.

Basketball has been a great windfall. But even if it never happened Gonzaga would have been fine and would have thrived and it would still be Gonzaga—a special place with special people. Anyone whos’s been a student and understands the concept of “Zag material” knows this.

Our basketball program has thrived in substantial part because Gonzaga already was what it is. Not vice versus.

ESPN helps promote the myth

“The school was in real trouble" was the assessment of longtime benefactor Jack McCann in 1998.

Asked to join the board of trustees that year, the Gonzaga graduate discovered his alma mater was falling apart, operating at a deficit for several years, the school’s credit rating plummeting, the endowment slipping and administrators forced to slash budgets simply to pay the bills.
The small, Catholic, private and enrollment-reliant school welcomed a bottoming-out freshman class of 550 students, continuing a dismal trend of shrinking enrollment that saw the school’s undergraduate population dip from 4,176 in 1990 to 2,791 just eight years later.

“We weren’t going to shut the doors [at that moment], but you can only do what we were doing for so long and survive," said former president Father Robert Spitzer, who held the position from July 1998 to 2008. “We weren’t at that point yet, but to get to the heart of it, let’s just say, ‘Thank God for the basketball team.’”

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

Markburn1
09-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Gonzaga was never in sufficient danger financially in the late 1990 to threaten the survival or viability of the school. This myth needs to be put to bed.

Our basketball program has thrived in substantial part because Gonzaga already was what it is. Not vice versus.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

Are you saying this is not true? The last paragraph is a quote from Father Spitzer.

“We weren’t going to shut the doors [at that moment], but you can only do what we were doing for so long and survive," said former president Father Robert Spitzer, who held the position from July 1998 to 2008. “We weren’t at that point yet, but to get to the heart of it, let’s just say, ‘Thank God for the basketball team.’”

229SintoZag
09-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Are you saying this is not true? The last paragraph is a quote from Father Spitzer.

I’m saying there is more to it. And that Gonzaga was never in existential peril.
At the same time the undergraduate population was down, Gonzaga in the 1990s also successfully concluded its largest ever capital campaign (to date at the time) and did something like double its endowment. It raised the funds to build and built its new law school which opened I think around then. It built several new apartment buildings for students, built the Jundt building, and earlier in the 1990s has built the Foley Library.

These are not steps that are taken by a university in existential crisis.

Some of the drop in undergraduate enrollment was part of a demographic dip seen nationwide in the 1990s across America as there was a relative baby “bust” between the boomer generation and the “mini baby boom” that saw births increase with millenials starting in around 1980.

Meanwhile Gonzaga’s graduate and law school enrollments were steady or growing throughout the 1990s.

So yes there was some stress caused in the latter 1990s with the enrollment dip. My point was that it was manageable and would have reversed most likely with the demographic surge of millenials anyway.

And yes basketball has been a huge boon to the university and has in fact changed Gonzaga forever. No doubt.

But to claim Gonzaga was “saved” by basketball is simply not accurate.

bartruff1
09-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Gonzaga was definitely in "existential peril " back in the late 60's when Harry Magnuson stepped up and guaranteed their debt and kept the school open... the growth resulting from the basketball program since the late 90's is a demonstrable fact.....not a alternative fact...

ZagNation
09-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Another derailed thread.:clap:

MadonnaBinLaden
09-16-2018, 12:57 AM
Come on guys and girls. Quit derailing every thread.

LongIslandZagFan
09-16-2018, 06:27 AM
As I said, based on "My" personal experience. I (and 5 other students) had a single professor hold up our graduation for six weeks for no reason except that he could. It held up not only my graduation but also a job promotion and raise.

Maybe not a common occurrence, but it does happen. Let's hope everybody has Geno's best interest in mind.

ZagDad

Like I said... if a prof does that... there is something wrong with them. JMHO... in that situation, you go over the prof to the Dean.... that doesn't work you keep going up.

Reborn
09-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Come on guys and girls. Quit derailing every thread.

Aren't most threads eventually derailed? This one should be closed.....it's a total train wreck.

DixieZag
09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Aren't most threads eventually derailed? This one should be closed.....it's a total train wreck.

I see your point, but in some threads I have learned the mot from the stuff on page 10.

If derailed threads are our biggest problem, we'll be alright. :)

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-16-2018, 04:28 PM

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/522db17de4b04287ea7b6e6c/t/531b5916e4b0345bebd8c11e/1394301207223/little-train-crash.jpg

Back to the original topic, Michigan and the Big Ten look awful as a league.

Michigan lost to Notre Dame in Week 1 and on Saturday had 13 penalties for 137 yards in a win against SMU. Penn State needed overtime to beat Appalachian State in its opener, but is still 3-0 and looking amazing! -- against nobody. Michigan State blew a 10-point, fourth-quarter lead last week and lost at Arizona State. Nebraska lost at home to Troy. Maryland lost at home to Temple. Northwestern lost at home to Akron. Rutgers lost at Kansas. Oh, and Wisconsin lost at home on Saturday to BYU (yes, the same team that lost to Cal) in what was the biggest upset of the season so far.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/roadtochamp091618/ohio-state-buckeyes-big-ten-best-hope-college-football-playoff

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/67/26/a2672645340d2950c66f8dbd8616213c.jpg

MDABE80
09-16-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm with Reborn. Times up!!