08-30-2018, 10:23 AM
UNC twice would be fun

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Maybe Geno will be eligible by then.

Ha!:clap:

MDABE80
08-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Is anything definite on Geno yet?? I see rumors and conjecture..... BUT this is a very good field.

Bogozags
08-30-2018, 11:54 AM

I'm hearing rumors that Geno is going to RS, so he can play next year...he has never been to the Bahamas and remembers seeing pictures of PK, DS and KW going down that water slide! It sure did look like fun...

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm hearing rumors that Geno is going to RS, so he can play next year...he has never been to the Bahamas and remembers seeing pictures of PK, DS and KW going down that water slide! It sure did look like fun...

Seriously, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.

jazzdelmar
08-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Seriously, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.

So true. Our pg needs are far more dire next year than this one.

CDC84
08-30-2018, 12:32 PM
The only non-Bahama date that I know is set in stone for 2019/20 is Arizona on Saturday, 12/14:

https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welcome/schedule/future-gonzaga-schedule/2019-20-gonzaga-schedule/

Because of Atlantis next season, I sincerely wouldn't be shocked if both Gonzaga and UNC agree to skip the return game next season and to do it the following season. I know GU played Tennessee 2x in the same season back in 2008/09, but that was also at a time when WCC teams AND power conference teams could still schedule non-league games in early January. Now you can't. The ACC has a 20 game league sked now, and they have to get league play started in December. I am sure Gonzaga wants the UNC game when the students on campus. I would imagine Few and Roy do not want to play each other in the Bahamas and then play each other again in 7 days in Spokane. Both teams will probably want to play a guarantee game or two after that tournament. UNC has to travel 750 miles to get to the Bahamas; GU 2,676 miles. UNC has to travel 2,573 miles to get to Spokane.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 12:44 PM
So true. Our pg needs are far more dire next year than this one.

Would that impact any of our 2019 recruiting targets? I’m thinking it could.

jazzdelmar
08-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Would that impact any of our 2019 recruiting targets? I’m thinking it could.

The pg pipeline is full of potential holes already. Can’t help.

Bogozags
08-30-2018, 04:18 PM

At the time I had not read all the post in the two threads, so my post was tongue-in-cheek...

Mantua
08-30-2018, 06:07 PM

That would be cool.

RenoZag
08-30-2018, 06:28 PM

He has already burned a RS year. . .

tyra
08-30-2018, 07:32 PM
I’m not trying to be negative about the Battle for Atlantis but I think people who are contemplating going need to have realistic expectations. I went last time. The facility is fairly awful. It’s basically a ballroom converted to a gym. It’s probably the worst venue I’ve seen. Then, too, in all honesty, I wasn’t that impressed with the hotel. I stayed in the older part and it is pretty run down. Again, sorry for the negative energy but it cost a nickel or two to get there and I wouldn’t want folks to think it is something it isn’t.

thespywhozaggedme
08-31-2018, 07:10 AM
I’m not trying to be negative about the Battle for Atlantis but I think people who are contemplating going need to have realistic expectations. I went last time. The facility is fairly awful. It’s basically a ballroom converted to a gym. It’s probably the worst venue I’ve seen. Then, too, in all honesty, I wasn’t that impressed with the hotel. I stayed in the older part and it is pretty run down. Again, sorry for the negative energy but it cost a nickel or two to get there and I wouldn’t want folks to think it is something it isn’t.

Yeah, the reviews on TripAdvisor for the Atlantis are less than flattering to say the least. Apparently the place has become a dump, but they still gouge you because of their "name brand".

ConnZag3
08-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Iím not trying to be negative about the Battle for Atlantis but I think people who are contemplating going need to have realistic expectations. I went last time. The facility is fairly awful. Itís basically a ballroom converted to a gym. Itís probably the worst venue Iíve seen. Then, too, in all honesty, I wasnít that impressed with the hotel. I stayed in the older part and it is pretty run down. Again, sorry for the negative energy but it cost a nickel or two to get there and I wouldnít want folks to think it is something it isnít.

I went in 2015 and we stayed at the Comfort Suites, which is just steps off of the Atlantis property but still gives you access to the Atlantis waterpark and other amenities. I found it to be a decent enough deal compared to what Atlantis was charging, plus included free breakfast which saved a ton in and of itself for 5 days. If you go in expecting the Ritz, you won't get it, but if you expect a decent room for a tourist price there, you'll be satisfied. I would agree that Atlantis is overpriced for the quality level and especially the food. Only ate 1 meal at Atlantis and found other spots around Paradise Island or in Nassau that were a chunk cheaper.

I disagree about the arena though and actually think it's kinda fun in its uniqueness, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's so small there's obviously not a bad seat in the building and the seats I had 5 or 6 rows from the court were fun to hear the shoes squeaking and players talking to each other, especially for some of the more lightly attended games.

Zagnificent
08-31-2018, 01:42 PM

Atlantis isn't exactly a premier destination. The surrounding beaches and all are pretty trashy too. I was at the Baha Mar on the other side of the island the weekend it opened. That was much cooler and nicer. I suspect that will gradually get more traction. I still don't know how they can have the tourney in a ballroom. It's a sad venue for such high level play.

Birddog
08-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Atlantis isn't exactly a premier destination. The surrounding beaches and all are pretty trashy too. I was at the Baha Mar on the other side of the island the weekend it opened. That was much cooler and nicer. I suspect that will gradually get more traction. I still don't know how they can have the tourney in a ballroom. It's a sad venue for such high level play.

Well. like you said, it IS a ballroom.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-01-2018, 12:20 PM
I went in 2015 and we stayed at the Comfort Suites, which is just steps off of the Atlantis property but still gives you access to the Atlantis waterpark and other amenities. I found it to be a decent enough deal compared to what Atlantis was charging, plus included free breakfast which saved a ton in and of itself for 5 days. If you go in expecting the Ritz, you won't get it, but if you expect a decent room for a tourist price there, you'll be satisfied. I would agree that Atlantis is overpriced for the quality level and especially the food. Only ate 1 meal at Atlantis and found other spots around Paradise Island or in Nassau that were a chunk cheaper.

I disagree about the arena though and actually think it's kinda fun in its uniqueness, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's so small there's obviously not a bad seat in the building and the seats I had 5 or 6 rows from the court were fun to hear the shoes squeaking and players talking to each other, especially for some of the more lightly attended games.

Is it possible to purchase tickets separately from a resort stay? I looked in 2015 and couldn’t find anything that wasn’t a package deal with a room reservation.

CDC84
09-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Atlantis came out of the gates saying it was their goal to one day become the #1 college basketball holiday tournament. I just don't see Maui handing over the title anytime soon. Especially since they redid the gym and installed air conditioning.

Another thing that is weird about Atlantis is how it looks on TV. The crowd is blackened out. You really cannot see anything but the floor from a television set.

JPtheBeasta
09-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Atlantis came out of the gates saying it was their goal to one day become the #1 college basketball holiday tournament. I just don't see Maui handing over the title anytime soon. Especially since they redid the gym and installed air conditioning.

Another thing that is weird about Atlantis is how it looks on TV. The crowd is blackened out. You really cannot see anything but the floor from a television set.

Having an actual gym is a good start. I think it's blackened out so you don't see the horseradish stains on the carpet and empty high ball glasses left over from the banquet dinner that was held there the night before :]

ConnZag3
09-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Is it possible to purchase tickets separately from a resort stay? I looked in 2015 and couldnít find anything that wasnít a package deal with a room reservation.

I don't know if you can buy only booster tickets, but I was able to buy all-session tickets separate from any room package in 2015. I think it was like $370 total or something for each ticket to all 12 games. Or like half the price of all-session tickets to Maui...

thespywhozaggedme
09-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Having an actual gym is a good start. I think it's blackened out so you don't see the horseradish stains on the carpet and empty high ball glasses left over from the banquet dinner that was held there the night before :]

:000tens: