PDA

View Full Version : I just viewed two games in the NCAA I saved. Here are my thoughts.

Reborn
08-27-2018, 07:05 AM
I just viewed the National Championship Game, and our game with Ohio St last year. Here are my thoughts I have about this year's team from watching those games. We need to play better defense than we did last year. The '16/'17 team was tough as nails. That team had Mt K and Collins inside to protect the basket and fight for rebounds. As tough as JWIII was, he had no affect on the National Championship game. He could not play D at all, collecting foul after foul and spending most of his time on the bench.

I just don't get how fans here on this forum think Perkins can not run the team. He is dang good and knows this team so well, and knows what Few wants. You can't replace a guy like that at the point. The team runs mostly a high pick and roll offense, and he really knows how to make that pass to the player rolling to the basket.

Norvell is really good. The Zags looked really good, and tough as they beat Ohio St last year in the tournament. That was a really tough team, and I think better than Florida St. I think GU would have defeated Florida St if Tillie had played. Tillie is much tougher and better on Defense than I previously thought. However,he really needs to improve on offense. I feel the same about Rui. He is also too inconsistent. He had a great game against Ohio St for sure. But sometimes he just disappears. He is certainly tough on D, especially inside. He is a great shot blocker. I loved his blocks in that Ohio St game. Gonzaga guards can really rebound.

My biggest concern for this year's team is our size. Clarke needs to be really tough. Our size is good enough for WCC games, but when we play the elite teams that we play this year, will we be able to defend the basket, and stop the taller and bigger players on teams like Duke, North Carolina, Auburn, ect.

I remember the days that analysts challenged Gonzaga's toughness. The final thing I want to say is GONZAGA IS TOUGH!

Bogozags
08-27-2018, 08:00 AM
I agree with Tillie being inconsistent on offence...he needs to find rhythm early in the game and our back court needs to keep him involved...he has great feet and hands and I hope we run a lot of Hi-Lo this season with our front court...

I think we will have good post defence as I understand that Clarke will be a rim protector...let's hope that Larsen and Filip are both healthy and contribute...

Oh, yes Josh...well he will have another good year and will lead us to the promise land...I just hope our bench can take us into it!

DixieZag
08-27-2018, 05:39 PM
I agree with Tillie being inconsistent on offence...he needs to find rhythm early in the game and our back court needs to keep him involved...he has great feet and hands and I hope we run a lot of Hi-Lo this season with our front court...

I think we will have good post defence as I understand that Clarke will be a rim protector...let's hope that Larsen and Filip are both healthy and contribute...

Oh, yes Josh...well he will have another good year and will lead us to the promise land...I just hope our bench can take us into it!

Tillie's inconsistency is one reason why I think it is conceivable (though highly unlikely) that he comes off the bench this year. I never played at a high level but one hears that if a player "sees" the game it is easier to have some consistency.

Once and Future Zag
08-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Tillie's inconsistency is one reason why I think it is conceivable (though highly unlikely) that he comes off the bench this year. I never played at a high level but one hears that if a player "sees" the game it is easier to have some consistency.

That was why Kuso didn't start but played "starter minutes" while Rob Sacre got his 5 minutes a game to start. Kuso wanted to see how the refs were calling the game, etc...

Outraged
08-27-2018, 08:01 PM
I just viewed the National Championship Game, and our game with Ohio St last year. Here are my thoughts I have about this year's team from watching those games. We need to play better defense than we did last year. The '16/'17 team was tough as nails. That team had Mt K and Collins inside to protect the basket and fight for rebounds. As tough as JWIII was, he had no affect on the National Championship game. He could not play D at all, collecting foul after foul and spending most of his time on the bench.

I just don't get how fans here on this forum think Perkins can not run the team. He is dang good and knows this team so well, and knows what Few wants. You can't replace a guy like that at the point. The team runs mostly a high pick and roll offense, and he really knows how to make that pass to the player rolling to the basket.

Norvell is really good. The Zags looked really good, and tough as they beat Ohio St last year in the tournament. That was a really tough team, and I think better than Florida St. I think GU would have defeated Florida St if Tillie had played. Tillie is much tougher and better on Defense than I previously thought. However,he really needs to improve on offense. I feel the same about Rui. He is also too inconsistent. He had a great game against Ohio St for sure. But sometimes he just disappears. He is certainly tough on D, especially inside. He is a great shot blocker. I loved his blocks in that Ohio St game. Gonzaga guards can really rebound.

My biggest concern for this year's team is our size. Clarke needs to be really tough. Our size is good enough for WCC games, but when we play the elite teams that we play this year, will we be able to defend the basket, and stop the taller and bigger players on teams like Duke, North Carolina, Auburn, ect.

I remember the days that analysts challenged Gonzaga's toughness. The final thing I want to say is GONZAGA IS TOUGH!

Good accurate post. I feel defense needs to improve over last year. I am little surprised by accolades of our front court when there seems to be a missing piece.

Bogozags
08-28-2018, 05:22 AM
Good accurate post. I feel defense needs to improve over last year. I am little surprised by accolades of our front court when there seems to be a missing piece.

Missing piece?

willandi
08-28-2018, 05:51 AM
Missing piece?

I agree. Petrusev, Clarke, Rui and Tillie are all forwards of 6'8" or more and Larsen is a 6' 11"center. No 7 footer, but still a formidable group, especially if Rui plays at the 3 . They can do the front line switch with Petrusev/Larsen replacing Clarke/ Tillie ala Karno/J3 and Collins/Tillie or mix and match.

TexasZagFan
08-28-2018, 07:05 AM
I agree. Petrusev, Clarke, Rui and Tillie are all forwards of 6'8" or more and Larsen is a 6' 11"center. No 7 footer, but still a formidable group, especially if Rui plays at the 3 . They can do the front line switch with Petrusev/Larsen replacing Clarke/ Tillie ala Karno/J3 and Collins/Tillie or mix and match.

For me, Larsen is the wild card. If he can get over the hump and give us 20 productive minutes a game, our forwards will be much more effective.

J3 played great last year, but his natural position was a 4, and he put in a lot of minutes as a 5.

raise the zag
08-28-2018, 09:23 AM
I don't know how you can watch that National Championship game -- the officiating was senseless and infuriating, to the point of scandal imho.

Never heard Coach Few say a single thing regarding officiating or called out the refs in past 20 yrs, yet even he still mentions how questionable the performance was by them.

I thought I was being bitter or making excuses, until I researched the game and heard Coach Few share this just a few months ago as well.

Nearly every talking head has said the same.

Zagceo
08-28-2018, 10:11 AM

we're gonna be bigger than Nova last year and we were bigger than UNC in Natty game....size isn't what it used to be..make 3 pointers and play great team defense and have 1 or 2 players that can create own shots and stay healthy recipe for return to FF IMO

maynard g krebs
08-28-2018, 02:56 PM
I don't know how you can watch that National Championship game -- the officiating was senseless and infuriating, to the point of scandal imho.

+1. Except I'd call it deliberate rather than senseless. And commonplace, unfortunately.

raise the zag
08-28-2018, 06:46 PM
I spent much of the day today with a former player's family, and I liked what they shared about a current player:

"Norvell is better than even Norvell knows."

Interesting comment which stuck with me.

GrizZAG
08-28-2018, 09:06 PM
All good and accurate observations. The thing about this year's team is the potential firepower they have shooting the rock. Has there ever been this many players that can shoot lights out on any given night? That game Tillie lit it up from the three was mind boggling, and Norvell is just incredible under pressure. The new transfers coming in seem to be right in there as well, so I am pretty jacked about what this might look like when the machine is adjusted and hitting on the cylinders. It's going to be one entertaining season for us. It seems the threat from outside will be so great opponents will have to leave our bigs open for business.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-29-2018, 03:27 AM
All good and accurate observations. The thing about this year's team is the potential firepower they have shooting the rock. Has there ever been this many players that can shoot lights out on any given night? That game Tillie lit it up from the three was mind boggling, and Norvell is just incredible under pressure. The new transfers coming in seem to be right in there as well, so I am pretty jacked about what this might look like when the machine is adjusted and hitting on the cylinders. It's going to be one entertaining season for us. It seems the threat from outside will be so great opponents will have to leave our bigs open for business.

You sure are right about the ninja shooters on this team: Perkins, Norvell, Crandall, Tillie, Kispert can all get hot from 3 in any given game. This is why I really hope Larsen is healthy, confident and able to earn around 15 mpg. These Zags need a low post offensive threat who can pass out of the double team. Neither Tillie or Clarke are that. Rui may be this team’s best option in the low post if Larsen doesn’t develop.

willandi
08-29-2018, 06:09 AM
You sure are right about the ninja shooters on this team: Perkins, Norvell, Crandall, Tillie, Kispert can all get hot from 3 in any given game. This is why I really hope Larsen is healthy, confident and able to earn around 15 mpg. These Zags need a low post offensive threat who can pass out of the double team. Neither Tillie or Clarke are that. Rui may be this team’s best option in the low post if Larsen doesn’t develop.

Didn't Petrusev look good doing that in the summer tourney? He was an inside/outside threat and also passed.

I do agree that Larsen being healthy is important, but not the only option. I don't know anything about Clarke other than what I have read here, but with a year in the system, I would be surprised if he doesn't pass when double teamed in the low block.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-29-2018, 06:39 AM
Didn't Petrusev look good doing that in the summer tourney? He was an inside/outside threat and also passed.

I do agree that Larsen being healthy is important, but not the only option. I don't know anything about Clarke other than what I have read here, but with a year in the system, I would be surprised if he doesn't pass when double teamed in the low block.

Yes, Petrusev showed good low post moves in the U18 tourney this summer and deserves mention as a possible low post scoring option. Not sure he will find establishing deep post position so easy to do vs D1 bigs.

My understanding of Clarke’s game is more midpost guy who uses his quickness, athleticism and midrange jumper to score. Don’t think he’s a camp out on the block and take what the D gives - past to open man if doubled or score vs single defender - type player.

Reborn
08-29-2018, 06:58 AM
I viewed two more games: West Virginia and Xavier and the one thing that now sticks out in my mind are two things, TOUGHNESS and really good 3 point shooters, and I think we will have both this year also. Melson really stood out to me as one of the toughest Zags ever. He really was incredible his junior year. I think Kispert can be that man. He may not be as tough, but he is 6'6" and is tough for sure on the boards. Which we will need him to be. And he is a a very good 3 pt shooter. I believe that Clarke will be a very good replacement for JW3. I'm not sure he is as tough. I haven't seen him play yet. I know he's a leaper, and able to score inside.

Go Zags!!!

Bogozags
08-29-2018, 03:31 PM
I viewed two more games: West Virginia and Xavier and the one thing that now sticks out in my mind are two things, TOUGHNESS and really good 3 point shooters, and I think we will have both this year also. Melson really stood out to me as one of the toughest Zags ever. He really was incredible his junior year. I think Kispert can be that man. He may not be as tough, but he is 6'6" and is tough for sure on the boards. Which we will need him to be. And he is a a very good 3 pt shooter. I believe that Clarke will be a very good replacement for JW3. I'm not sure he is as tough. I haven't seen him play yet. I know he's a leaper, and able to score inside.

Go Zags!!!

When I first saw Kispert playing in that game in Seattle with "PROS" I knew then he was really special. Has quick feet and also gets off the ground PDQ too! I hated to see him get injured in Portland but then, that injury was fortuitous in that it allowed Snacks to show his wares...it's a "shame" we can only play five...

TexasZagFan
08-29-2018, 03:36 PM

Go Zags!!!

I will never, EVER forget the second half of the Xavier game. The last ten minutes brought out a groundswell of emotions in me, and I was lucky to thoroughly enjoy it.

Reborn
08-30-2018, 06:47 AM
I will never, EVER forget the second half of the Xavier game. The last ten minutes brought out a groundswell of emotions in me, and I was lucky to thoroughly enjoy it.

I was with my two sons in my living room. The emotions we had in The last ten minutes of that game were as awesome as could be. The three of us have watched most of the Zags games the NCAA Tournament Games together ever since they were kids. We were in awe that we were actually blowing Xavier out, but we held our emotions in until the last five minutes because we know, that in basketball, anything can happen. But then we let loose, just jumping and smiling, and hugging. It was a moment we had waited for so many years. I watched that game again last night. That team could really play defense. Furthermore, they could really shoot the 3 ball.

Go Zags!!!