PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing quite like this.

Reborn
08-25-2018, 04:04 PM
Have any of you met other people from GU boards? There's really nothing quite like it. Especially if you've known the person for a lot of years on the board, and you like him or her a lot. This has happened to me three times now, and each time has been really really cool. Yesterday and today I spent time with GoZags. And he is just so awesome. He's nothing like I thought he was from following him on GUboards. He's so quiet on our forum. Just the opposite in real life. Can't stop talking, and he has so many really great stories to tell. This was truly a great week-end because of meeting him. One thing I can say about him is that he's one of the most thoughtful and kind person I've known. Most Zags I've met have this common trait. Pretty cool I think.

Go Zags!!!

Ezag
08-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Awesome story. Thanks. I am fairly new :) and have yet to meet anyone on this board

webspinnre
08-25-2018, 05:32 PM
I've had the pleasure of meeting a couple of people from GU boards, and have had a great time. Just watch out for annoyed Reds fans!

GonzaGAW
08-25-2018, 07:51 PM
I've often wondered how often have I entertained an Angel and spoken to someone from GU Boards, and never realized it?

I really do not know, but I'd like to think both have happened.

kdaleb
08-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Every GUBoard person I’ve met has been great. Quality people all. Special shoutout to my man Kitz - too bad we’re on opposite sides of the country.

willandi
08-26-2018, 05:38 AM
I have met 4 or 5. Splendid chaps all.

I would like to meet some over a beer sometime, actually, I would like to meet several at that time. I could just become wall paper and listen (if I could keep my mouth shut)!

kitzbuel
08-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Every GUBoard person I’ve met has been great. Quality people all. Special shoutout to my man Kitz - too bad we’re on opposite sides of the country.

:cheers:

Reborn
08-26-2018, 07:38 AM
I really enjoy reading little personal stories, especially in the offseason then there isn't much going on with the Zags.

TexasZagFan
08-26-2018, 08:23 AM
I really enjoy reading little personal stories, especially in the offseason then there isn't much going on with the Zags.

On this thread alone, I see two familiar names, webspinnre and willandi. Have also met in person LIZF, Abe, and amaronizag. Great gents all, this board has been a blessing in that regard. Scott257 and I will definitely meet this season, as the quest for a Zag gathering place continues.

MDABE80
08-26-2018, 11:52 AM
I have met several...all really good guys. Tex don't forget Obama in Dec. All really good , balanced guys with great families. Lots to talk about outside of Zag ball too.

GoZags
08-26-2018, 12:00 PM
On this thread alone, I see two familiar names, webspinnre and willandi. Have also met in person LIZF, Abe, and amaronizag. Great gents all, this board has been a blessing in that regard. Scott257 and I will definitely meet this season, as the quest for a Zag gathering place continues.

That's okay, TZF.

I'll still claim that I've met you even if you don't claim "me".

On another note ... it was GREAT catching up with our man Reborn. The guy is all Zag through and through (i.e. the supreme compliment in my book)

gonzagafan62
08-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Yup I met Gozagswhoohoo and thegloriousgoateeofKP. Both are awesome guys and I text them frequently. Nothing but mad respect for them

zag67
08-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Yes, I also met 4 or 5 down in Vegas. We had great times.
I have also played golf and had fun with GOZAGS. I am hoping that soon he will be able to play again.

TexasZagFan
08-26-2018, 12:39 PM
That's okay, TZF.

I'll still claim that I've met you even if you don't claim "me".

On another note ... it was GREAT catching up with our man Reborn. The guy is all Zag through and through (i.e. the supreme compliment in my book)

Didn't mean to offend you GZ, I didn't include those that were on campus the same time as us, which means Reno wasn't mentioned, either.

I'm looking forward to adding more to this list. Nothing better in this world than meeting, and talking with, fellow Zag alumni and Zag fans.

willandi
08-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Didn't mean to offend you GZ, I didn't include those that were on campus the same time as us, which means Reno wasn't mentioned, either.

I'm looking forward to adding more to this list. Nothing better in this world than meeting, and talking with, fellow Zag alumni and Zag fans.

Except doing so over libations!

RenoZag
08-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Folks I knew at Gonzaga who I have reconnected with because of the GUB include: GoZags, Angelo Roncalli, TexasZagFan, treehorn, and fancygolfpants.

Have had the pleasure of putting a face to the screen names of:

El Voce (RIP)
hondo
Bob Zag
CDC84
Section 116
gamagin
Bocco
TheZagPhish
PargotheDestroyer
gozagswoohoo
GPGUgrad
TerpZag
LongIslandZagFan
Zag Granny
Zag Pants
Random Zag Fan
The Beast
Zagineer
TheZagPhish
Dixie Zag
former1dog
94zagoldwomanasherdsman
gu03
mendiant
JL Gutrocks

It's always a treat to meet Zags from different parts of the country.

willandi
08-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Folks I knew at Gonzaga who I have reconnected with because of the GUB include: GoZags, Angelo Roncalli, TexasZagFan, treehorn, and fancygolfpants.

El Voce (RIP)
hondo
Bob Zag
CDC84
Section 116
gamagin
Bocco
TheZagPhish
PargotheDestroyer
gozagswoohoo
GPGUgrad
TerpZag
LongIslandZagFan
Zag Granny
Zag Pants
Random Zag Fan
The Beast
Pro
Zagineer
TheZahPhish
Dixie Zag
former1dog
94zagoldwomanashorseman
gu03
mendiant

Lets have a beer some time when you are in town. We can get a few others as well.

Zagger
08-27-2018, 04:26 AM
Beer? Did someone say beer?
If i'm in town I'd surely meet up with a board gang at J&D's.
:cheers:

gozagswoohoo
08-27-2018, 06:23 AM
The thing I love about meeting people from the forum is that you KNOW you're instantly friends, even though you've never met. Mostly because you have this understood PASSION in common.

I've probably met 25 people or so from the forum, and I keep in very close contact with probably 5-6 of them (and consider them GENUINE friends!)

I'll tell you what...ElVoce was one of the most special I've met. That guy was something else. Just an amazing person. RIP friend!!

gozagswoohoo
08-27-2018, 06:24 AM
Yup I met Gozagswhoohoo and thegloriousgoateeofKP. Both are awesome guys and I text them frequently. Nothing but mad respect for them

;)

I still remember seeing one of your posts, and it showing that you were from Bourbon, and I was instantly convinced someone was trolling me!! BAHA

We need to make sure and catch a game or two together this season. You still need to see zags man cave.

TexasZagFan
08-27-2018, 06:52 AM

El Voce (RIP)
hondo
Bob Zag
CDC84
Section 116
gamagin
Bocco
TheZagPhish
PargotheDestroyer
gozagswoohoo
GPGUgrad
TerpZag
LongIslandZagFan
Zag Granny
Zag Pants
Random Zag Fan
The Beast
Pro
Zagineer
TheZahPhish
Dixie Zag
former1dog
94zagoldwomanashorseman
gu03
mendiant

Just a suggestion to all, when you're in Spokane, stop by Will's shop. You can make wives, daughters, girlfriends really happy with gifts that won't break your budget. My wife loves the earrings she bought during our visit.

willandi
08-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Just a suggestion to all, when you're in Spokane, stop by Will's shop. You can make wives, daughters, girlfriends really happy with gifts that won't break your budget. My wife loves the earrings she bought during our visit.

Wow! Thank you!

And glad she likes them!

LongIslandZagFan
08-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Have any of you met other people from GU boards? There's really nothing quite like it. Especially if you've known the person for a lot of years on the board, and you like him or her a lot. This has happened to me three times now, and each time has been really really cool. Yesterday and today I spent time with GoZags. And he is just so awesome. He's nothing like I thought he was from following him on GUboards. He's so quiet on our forum. Just the opposite in real life. Can't stop talking, and he has so many really great stories to tell. This was truly a great week-end because of meeting him. One thing I can say about him is that he's one of the most thoughtful and kind person I've known. Most Zags I've met have this common trait. Pretty cool I think.

Go Zags!!!

GoZags... quiet????

:lmao:

LongIslandZagFan
08-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Go Zags!!!

A thread I can sneak out of my cave for...

Have met in person (as best as my aging brain can remember):
NJZag (no idea where she disappeared to but let me and some friends crash at here AC home which I cannot thank her enough for)
Hondo (weakest link on a pub crawl)
ElVoce (RIP my friend and you were most assuredly the strongest link on a pub crawl)
TexasZagFan
RenoZag
WooHoo
BobZag
Kitz
Abe
GoZags
mediant (another among the missing)
MJGoGaels (not a Zag but truly a cool dude and worth having a beer or three with)
AZZag (pretty sure that is who I had breakfast with when I met up with woohoo in Vegas)
SteelCityZag (although I went to GU with this guy... so not sure if that counts based on Tex's rules)
Zagmantis (again... went to school with this dude... not sure if that counts either... but he's a cool dude and knows my sis)
Phish... but to be honest... never have met face to face... but due to business purposes... have talked and texted extensively with him in the last few months

Lord knows I am forgetting a few people on that list. If I met you and didn't list please accept my forgiveness... I am craptastically bad with names in person as it is... adding aliases doesn't improve the situation.

ETA... feel free to call me out if I forgot you.... my brain would appreciate the help.

RenoZag
08-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Lets have a beer some time when you are in town. We can get a few others as well.

Now that my daughter and bride to be live there, the odds I will be in Spokane more often have increased exponentially, will. . .would like that.

Reborn
08-27-2018, 12:37 PM
GoZags... quiet????

:lmao:

Here on GUboards he struck me as someone who doesn't have to post all the time, and when he does they seem short to me (compared to mine). In person he never stops talking, and is pretty funny (at least to me).

Angelo Roncalli
08-27-2018, 01:07 PM

NJZag (no idea where she disappeared to but let me and some friends crash at here AC home which I cannot thank her enough for)
Hondo (weakest link on a pub crawl)
ElVoce (RIP my friend and you were most assuredly the strongest link on a pub crawl)
TexasZagFan
RenoZag
WooHoo
BobZag
Kitz
Abe
GoZags
mediant (another among the missing)
MJGoGaels (not a Zag but truly a cool dude and worth having a beer or three with)
AZZag (pretty sure that is who I had breakfast with when I met up with woohoo in Vegas)
SteelCityZag (although I went to GU with this guy... so not sure if that counts based on Tex's rules)
Zagmantis (again... went to school with this dude... not sure if that counts either... but he's a cool dude and knows my sis)
Phish... but to be honest... never have met face to face... but due to business purposes... have talked and texted extensively with him in the last few months

Lord knows I am forgetting a few people on that list. If I met you and didn't list please accept my forgiveness... I am craptastically bad with names in person as it is... adding aliases doesn't improve the situation.

ETA... feel free to call me out if I forgot you.... my brain would appreciate the help.

Maybe I'll change my screen name to "chopped liver."

bartruff1
08-27-2018, 02:11 PM
I would like to meet Treehorn or at least to find out who he/she is and what he does and where...he quit posting several years ago...about the time that Bitcoin was created and probably lives on a Yacht somewhere on the Black Sea...

23dpg
08-27-2018, 03:12 PM
People I have met in person:

(crickets);)

zag67
08-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Reborn, I also agree on GOZAGS. He always seems to be able to out talk me and that is not easy.

Birddog
08-27-2018, 05:10 PM
I don’t mean to diminish GoZags (who’s Zag BB knowledge is encyclopedic) but he pales when compared to Mrs GoZags in looks and enthusiasm.

Reborn
08-27-2018, 06:09 PM
OMG! Too funny. :lmao::lmao:

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
08-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Well... damn.... knew I’d forget someone important. Head is hung in shame

gozagswoohoo
08-28-2018, 06:44 AM

:roll:

And LIZF, you have a good memory, that was AzZag. Gosh...I bet I couldn't remember half the posters I've met.... ugh.

TexasZagFan
08-28-2018, 06:52 AM

I've got dibs on "milquetoast".

TexasZagFan
08-28-2018, 06:53 AM
I don’t mean to diminish GoZags (who’s Zag BB knowledge is encyclopedic) but he pales when compared to Mrs GoZags in looks and enthusiasm.

It's called "marrying up", a topic I'm quite familiar with. :lmao:

She's doing a great job on our home remodel FWIW. She's much more deliberative than me, and patient. Makes for some delays getting to a final decision, but the end results have been superlative.

GrizZAG
08-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Have met Hoopaholic and a fine gentleman that knows basketball he is. Talked to several at length on PM's and have plans to go fishing with Billirue. May have met other's by happenstance but didn't know who they were on this board. Also have had communication with a few Gael's board people that are great. My wife and I met a big group of Zag fans in Palm Desert that were at a giant table in a sports bar about three years back. No idea if any were GUB folks but probably some were.
I'd like to meet you all! I've met more players than GUB folks (that's awesome too). Is there a regular crowd that assembles at J&D's from this board? That would be a great way to meet the locals I would think. If they meet is there a particular schedule...i.e., every third Friday of the month or something like that? If so, how do you identify yourself as a GUB distinguished member? Then, is there a regular gathering place in Phoenix area during season? I'm in Goodyear and could set up a west valley gathering spot. I like the Yardhouse at the Sports complex in Glendale. Anyone interested?

Robzagnut
08-29-2018, 07:55 AM
People I have met in person:

(crickets);)

Me too.

Anyone want to meet at Jack & Dans and then go watch Anton Watson play for Gonzaga Prep this year?

gu03alum
08-29-2018, 08:34 AM
Remember that one time when Woohoo came to Spokane and a bunch of guboards members met at Domini's for lunch?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jxdl6vX9UuE/S3R8zbYFjrI/AAAAAAAAAFk/FXHsK00AAeQ/s1600/bm-image-725129.jpe

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jxdl6vX9UuE/S3R8krnNSDI/AAAAAAAAAFc/knXh4K_TRC8/s1600/bm-image-766423.jpe

Zagineer
08-29-2018, 07:49 PM

I'm not going to "call you out" on this, LIZF. At my age, my memory has to be worse than yours. Just think of it as one old fart helping another to recall the past.

I do recall a certain breakfast in Las Vegas at NY-NY during the WCC Tournament, about 10-11 years ago. (It may have been the very first WCC tournament in Las Vegas.) You can add the following to your list:

Zagineer
ZaGranny
Jazzgirl_127

I'm not sure if you and Son of Zagineer (SOZ) ever got together over a beer, but I knew there was some talk about it way back in the past.

RenoZag - You can also add Jazzgirl_127 to your list too.

My list is much more modest. In no particular order,.....

El Voce
RenoZag
LIZF
Angelo Roncalli
Hondo
gozagswoohoo
ZaGranny
Jazzgirl_127
Bocco
TerpZag
Proudzagmom

There are a few more, but they have escaped my mind at the moment....

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2018, 02:17 AM
Bogozags and I have PM’d about meeting up for a game but haven’t done so yet.

I’d love to gather together for a game this season w board members somewhere within driving distance of Savannah GA..or meet any of you who happen to have the good fortune of visiting this most beautiful city in the country.

ZAGduck
09-05-2018, 06:18 PM

SteelCityZag (although I went to GU with this guy... so not sure if that counts based on Tex's rules).

Beware SteelCityZag. I also went to GU with the guy....very sketchy person :)

gozagswoohoo
09-06-2018, 05:59 AM
Remember that one time when Woohoo came to Spokane and a bunch of guboards members met at Domini's for lunch?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jxdl6vX9UuE/S3R8zbYFjrI/AAAAAAAAAFk/FXHsK00AAeQ/s1600/bm-image-725129.jpe

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jxdl6vX9UuE/S3R8krnNSDI/AAAAAAAAAFc/knXh4K_TRC8/s1600/bm-image-766423.jpe

Oh man! Awesome. Thanks for posting. That trip was EPIC. And hilariously, I've seen that lunch pic probably 50 times, but this is the FIRST time I noticed LynetteG is wearing a Michigan basketball Tshirt! HAHAHA

Good times. What an experience.

TheZagPhish
09-07-2018, 08:32 PM
I need to visit the MBB more. Nice thread.

I've had the tremendous pleasure of meeting many folks on the board, every last one of them great people. I feel like I know lots of you though, you rascals.

I'm coming to Long Island. There will be beers.

I'll tell you what...ElVoce was one of the most special I've met. That guy was something else. Just an amazing person. RIP friend!!

Right there with you. Going to a Zags game with that guy (and Zealot!) was awesome.

Like woohoo, there are a few here that have become good friends. Grateful for the whole bit.

TheZagPhish
09-07-2018, 08:34 PM

:clap: