PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bring Your A Game to the Gym to Ball with this GU Professor

229SintoZag
08-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Fun article from the Gonzaga Bulletin about a GU prof who has been playing noon rat ball with the students for decades:
https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/news/article_0ac37f60-a667-11e8-9c6c-532a3c98a20b.html

dhozagfan08
08-25-2018, 05:38 PM
I played noon ball with him about a decade ago, that's how I got my cardio. He was the definition of crafty and had some very unorthodox shots that magically found a way to go in. Was playing with him and another professor one time when a new guy was backing the other prof towards the hoop and accidentally head butted him. It was bad, knocked out the prof's teeth. That prof and new player never came back as far as I know, but Dr. B kept going.

GuZag2012
08-26-2018, 06:33 AM
I remember playing against Dr. Birrer a number of times when I was in grad school from 2011-2013. Definitely a crafty scorer and good guy. Noon ball was always a great time and good competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rennis
08-28-2018, 06:59 AM
The article never says much about him as a prof which is kind of a shame. I used to love playing Noon Ball with him of course but he's also a rock star in Jepson. Easily my favorite Professor I had at GU, even with the hardest grading curve of anyone in the 509!

maynard g krebs
08-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Anybody else that posts here and is over 60 still play besides me? Curious to see if there are others.

229SintoZag
08-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Anybody else that posts here and is over 60 still play besides me? Curious to see if there are others.

Sort of.

I am only 45, but I look like I am well over 60 the way I move on the court.

Does that count?

maynard g krebs
08-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Sort of.

Does that count?

LOL. Just wait 20 years.

BurgessEraZag
08-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Sort of.

Does that count?

You said you played hoops with Frank Burgess in Tacoma. Did he teach you his famous "fake pass" which made his opponent defenseman turn around to see where the ball went?
Crowd would go crazy. While his opponent was looking for the ball Frank would rise up and hit a jumper.

Now I can't play hoops anymore but next March during the WCC tourney I will turn 80-----so I remember "my All American."

229 Sinto: "Still waiting for my duplicated 1958 Gonzaga BB Press Guide." You agreed back when I was probably 75.

Glad you can still get up and down the court. PM me please.

cjm720
08-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Thanks for posting! This brings back a lot of memories...Birrer was one of my favorite professors. He’s also a baller. I’ve played hundreds of games with him and had a lot more fun when he was on my team!

I need to start playing again...knees and belly aren’t what they used to be!

SunDevilGolfZag
08-28-2018, 07:18 PM
I played noon ball at KP from 1983-87—many games with Professor Ed Birrer. Ironically he had been my accounting instructor at a college back in the Midwest in the mid-1970s, and when he showed up on the court in around 1984 we immediately recognized each other. He was a really good player and fun to play with. Noon ball at KP brings back lots of memories. I pretty much played every day and recall teaming up with and playing against some really good players/athletes, e.g. Smitty the campus security officer, Stanley Cup winner/law student Bill Nyrop (RIP), Geno C. who was plucked onto the varsity by Coach Hillock, in the off-season Zags star Maria Stack, plus many more—including of course Prof. Birrer. Fun times!

229SintoZag
08-28-2018, 11:02 PM
You said you played hoops with Frank Burgess in Tacoma. Did he teach you his famous "fake pass" which made his opponent defenseman turn around to see where the ball went?
Crowd would go crazy. While his opponent was looking for the ball Frank would rise up and hit a jumper.

Now I can't play hoops anymore but next March during the WCC tourney I will turn 80-----so I remember "my All American."

229 Sinto: "Still waiting for my duplicated 1958 Gonzaga BB Press Guide." You agreed back when I was probably 75.

Glad you can still get up and down the court. PM me please.

I didn't play with Burgess--I just saw him in action when he was coaching my little sister in CYO ball back in the 1990s. He'd be showing the girls how to shoot, pass, etc., and it was epic. I swear he hit only net and didnt ever even touch the rim when he made his shots. Perfect rotation, didnt ever seem to miss. But he was still silky smooth and his shots were all nothing but net and he was probably in his late 50s at the time.

I will PM you. I just this past weekend ran into that press guide--had lost track of it when I moved some stuff around and I found it. I will not forsake you twice....