• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Clarke or Reid

We have Clarke and UK has Reid...

Clarke is a RS Sophomore and Reid is a Senior...I saw Reid play many games last season BUT he just was not dominant. I have not seen one game of Clarke but from everything I have read in articles and on the board, I find him to be an exceptional player (from his stats and in print). I really like our team and would not want to trade it for any others...I think it is possible and I say possible, that GU could go undefeated entering the Dance...I believe our biggest stumbling block will be Duke and either USD or BYU on the road...again just an opinion so it "ain't" wrong!

Which one do you think will have a bigger impact on a team's season? Why?

Can Reid take UK to the FF?

Can Clarke take us to the FF?
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

For this year and his leadership. bod and well developed skills, I'd take Reid 6 ways to Sunday. Kentucky has a bunch of young guys who need a senior man with leadership. 2 time ALL Pac 12 at Stanford qualifies him as a major pick.

He fits really well there.

As for Clarke, he'll be a good one here but how his obvious skills fit in can't be determined yet. Mountain West is not the PAC 12.

Comment

• doctorzag
      Banned
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
      We have Clarke and UK has Reid...

Clarke is a RS Sophomore and Reid is a Senior...I saw Reid play many games last season BUT he just was not dominant. I have not seen one game of Clarke but from everything I have read in articles and on the board, I find him to be an exceptional player (from his stats and in print). I really like our team and would not want to trade it for any others...I think it is possible and I say possible, that GU could go undefeated entering the Dance...I believe our biggest stumbling block will be Duke and either USD or BYU on the road...again just an opinion so it "ain't" wrong!

Which one do you think will have a bigger impact on a team's season? Why?

Can Reid take UK to the FF?

Can Clarke take us to the FF?
      Clarke is a redshirt junior and is a far superior player to Reid.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doctorzag View Post
        Clarke is a redshirt junior and is a far superior player to Reid.
        I don’t know about far superior but Reid seems to be a bulkier, brute force post player type and has one year of eligibility. Clarke, who has 2 years of eligibility + a season in Zags system under his belt, seems to be a more versatile player defensively; great athleticism, shot blocker and likely better equipped to play in a “switch everything” man-to-man D. I’ll take Clarke. Think of Zags D lineup of: Perkins, Norvell, Rui, Clarke, Tillie.... that group can switch everything and hold their own vs vast majority of D1 lineups.
        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• GonzaGAW
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2012

- as to who I think will help their team the most, Clarke. we need a big who is a shot blocker and can eat up 25 minutes a game. not sure what Kentucky needs, do they ever really need anything?

- as to who would I rather have, Clarke. 3 reasons, 1. we get him for two years not one. 2. he wants to be at Gonzaga. 3. reid passed on us twice. wish him well, think he is a good kid, but I do not want him on our team. go Clarke!

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
            not sure what Kentucky needs, do they ever really need anything?
            Fried chicken?
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• mgadfly
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Clarke. He passes and plays defense, two things Reid is not very good at. The Pac-12 hasn't been that good while Reid has been there so I wouldn't discount Clarke's numbers just because he was in the MWC (it is kind of what people do with GU because they are in the WCC). Plus, while Reid's stats take a significant drop in games against Ken Pomeroy's A & B tier competition, Clarke was better against tier A competition as a sophomore and way better against Tier A and B as a freshman. In other words, during their careers one has stepped up his play when playing against Tier A/B while the other has struggled against Tier A/B.

But to me, you have two players that are about equally efficient scorers with the same usage, one (Clarke) who passes a lot more than the other, and one who has a pretty amazing 8.5% shot blocking percentage (Clarke again) while the other blocked 0.3% of shots. So one is twice the shot-blocker as Killian Tillie while the other is tied with Perkins.

Reid may be a great fit and just what Kentucky needs (an experienced offensive-oriented big), but Clarke is a great fit and just what GU needs. Maybe they can play each other in the national championship to give us an answer.

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Great post, mgadfly! Thanks!

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

We liked Reid the first go around because he reminded us of Elias Harris. That was a long time ago. In todays game, Clarke will play circles around him on both sides of the floor.

Comment

• Hogan
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Mar 2007

Maybe. One of the things that concerns me with this team is lack of size and strength down low. Reid has this by a long-shot over Clarke.

Comment

• doctorzag
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
                      Maybe. One of the things that concerns me with this team is lack of size and strength down low. Reid has this by a long-shot over Clarke.
                      Clarke had 76 blocked shots his last year and Reid had 4 blocks last year. On the defensive end I would much rather have Clarke down low.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Reid’s bit of a diva. He’s where he belongs.

Comment

• ZagaholicPodcast
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Jun 2018

Reid.

Comment

• cjm720
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by doctorzag View Post
                            Clarke had 76 blocked shots his last year and Reid had 4 blocks last year. On the defensive end I would much rather have Clarke down low.
                            This says enough for me...
                            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• zag67
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

I agree with Doc and CJm. Having a player that works on defense is a more important piece to this team. We have lots of offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X