PDA

View Full Version : The Screener Podcast - Geno Crandall ( Transfer Status Discussion )

ZagNative
08-23-2018, 11:39 AM
I found this podcast really interesting. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sthespodcast/2018/07/06/three-ncaab-showdowns-geno-crandall

The discussion of Geno's migration to the Zags begins about half way through on the blue bar at the top of the page. Guy really seems to know his stuff.

MDABE80
08-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Zn continues to find jewels. I forgot that we have 2 5th year guards running the show this year. Both very very good. Ayayi, Norvell and Kispert should get the job done. This experience out front is really good. Hope Josh's shoulder is coming along well//

ZagNative
08-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Just listened to the podcast for the second time. That guy just really seems to know his stuff. I need to check back on that site in the future to look for more insightful Gonzaga stuff. I'm really excited to see what Geno brings to the team this fall!

Zn continues to find jewels. I forgot that we have 2 5th year guards running the show this year. Both very very good. Ayayi, Norvell and Kispert should get the job done. This experience out front is really good. Hope Josh's shoulder is coming along well//

sittingon50
08-23-2018, 03:57 PM
That guy just really seems to know his stuff. I need to check back on that site in the future to look for more insightful Gonzaga stuff.

Agreed. Thanks Native.

thebigsmoove
08-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Anyone know why Geno isnt enrolled or listed on the team roster?

Radbooks
08-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Anyone know why Geno isnt enrolled or listed on the team roster?

Wondering the same since he was on it last week. :(

sittingon50
08-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Uh oh.

Has he been spotted on campus since school started?

thebigsmoove
08-29-2018, 11:19 AM
His twitter page still lists him with Gonzaga, he retweeted a kennel club chant yesterday, so idk.

gonstu
08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Wondering the same since he was on it last week. :(

Are you saying that last week he was listed on the official roster/site and now he isn't?

If so, that can't be a good sign...

Radbooks
08-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Are you saying that last week he was listed on the official roster/site and now he isn't?

If so, that can't be a good sign...

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I've been checking the schedule and roster frequently and he was listed last week.

Zagceo
08-29-2018, 12:34 PM
did he graduate last May/June or was he scheduled to take summer classes to finish up?

LTownZag
08-29-2018, 01:42 PM
MileHigh, a forum member who is close to Perkins, posted about this a few weeks ago.

If Geno took an additional academic term to finish at UND, could he transfer and play mid season?

RenoZag
08-29-2018, 02:09 PM
did he graduate last May/June or was he scheduled to take summer classes to finish up?

The official GU Athletic Dept press release put it this way last month:

https://gozags.com/news/2018/7/5/Men_s_Basketball_Adds_UND_Transfer_Geno_Crandall.a spx

Crandall, a 6-4 180-pound guard, will graduate from North Dakota this summer. He will be immediately eligible to play as a graduate transfer.

raise the zag
08-29-2018, 02:28 PM
I posted numerous times throughout the Summer about Crandall having 4 or 5 classes remaining to actually graduate from UND. Another poster shared the same even before he chose GU, nervous on whether he could pull it off in such a short time before enrolling as a grad transfer.

Haven't heard any updates but wad told he had 4 classes to go in the beginning of July.

Hope he pulled it off.

Maybe they are waiting until the credits and degree are official/finalized?

*crossing fingers*

Zagceo
08-29-2018, 02:50 PM
The official GU Athletic Dept press release put it this way last month:

https://gozags.com/news/2018/7/5/Men_s_Basketball_Adds_UND_Transfer_Geno_Crandall.a spx

Thanks Reno

the fact that schools started and he's been taken off roster would suggest a mid season addition as MileHigh may have suggested...bummer for all

ZagsObserver
08-29-2018, 02:51 PM
Oh, boy...

ZagsObserver
08-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Getting way ahead of the situation, but I’ve got to think that he doesn’t start if he’s a mid-year transfer. Really tight in the backcourt for the first half of the year if this fear materializes.

raise the zag
08-29-2018, 03:04 PM
A January transfer would be pointless. It could seriously alter team chemistry, rotations, etc.

IF he wasn't eligible til January, he would miss every single big game we actually need him for...and much needed depth in the backcourt.

No Arizona, Duke, A&M, Tennessee, UNC, Creighton, Washington, et al.

We would still take the additional talent yet could potentially hinder rather than help at that point.

My mindset is now or never this season. He needs to be with the team.

If he still has credits to go at UND, he couldnt realistically just show up mid season to play?

Radbooks
08-29-2018, 03:58 PM
From Jim Meehan on Twitter:

Jim Meehan
‏ @SRJimm
6m6 minutes ago

North Dakota transfer Geno Crandall isn't enrolled currently at GU, according to school's registrar office. “Geno is continuing to work on his NCAA transfer requirements and we are excited for him to become a Zag,” GU sports information director Barrett Henderson said.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-29-2018, 04:12 PM
Would he be able to sit out a year, finish his undergraduate degree at Gonzaga, and then play on next season’s team?

Radbooks
08-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Here is an article from the Spokesman... not much new, but thought I'd share.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/29/north-dakota-transfer-geno-crandall-not-enrolled-a/

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Only thing I’m surprised by is why everyone ignored MileHigh’s tip.

From August 19th; “Share 2 or 3 Questions You Have..” thread. Post #36

Wow, this is a surprise to learn Crandall’s summer coursework and consequent graduation are not yet official. Seems pretty late. Summer session grades were due August 7th:

http://https://und.edu/academics/registrar/_files/docs/calendars/und-academic-calendar-2017-2018.pdf

Zagceo
08-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Only thing I’m surprised by is why everyone ignored MileHigh’s tip.

From August 19th; “Share 2 or 3 Questions You Have..” thread. Post #36

Wow, this is a surprise to learn Crandall’s summer coursework and consequent graduation are not yet official. Seems pretty late. Summer session grades were due August 7th:

http://https://und.edu/academics/registrar/_files/docs/calendars/und-academic-calendar-2017-2018.pdf

Wouldn’t assume everyone even saw the message. It is August

Jordan Matthews set a high bar for expectations as far as transfers go.

in the end ...it is what it is.

Rangerzag
08-29-2018, 07:57 PM
fwiw:

Last Day to Add Wednesday, September 5

https://www.gonzaga.edu/academics/academic-calendar-resources/academic-calendar

ZagsObserver
08-29-2018, 08:06 PM
I’ve got to think that GU waited this long to remove Geno’s name because there was hope that a grade could change after the fact (not in a cheating sense, but in makeup work). With his name’s removal, I’ve got to think that he will be missing during the first semester. Huge loss for all.

All speculation, of course. I have zero inside info on this topic.

ZagDad84
08-29-2018, 08:40 PM
A January transfer would be pointless. It could seriously alter team chemistry, rotations, etc.

IF he wasn't eligible til January, he would miss every single big game we actually need him for...and much needed depth in the backcourt.

No Arizona, Duke, A&M, Tennessee, UNC, Creighton, Washington, et al.

We would still take the additional talent yet could potentially hinder rather than help at that point.

My mindset is now or never this season. He needs to be with the team.

If he still has credits to go at UND, he couldnt realistically just show up mid season to play?

I don't entirely agree.

Yes he would miss all of the big OOC games and not being here for the first 4 months of the season would limit how he would fit in with the team (team chemistry).

However, all big games (hopefully) are not played in the OOC season. What about the WCC tourney, the NCAA tourney, BYU, & the Gaels? What happens if we have an injury to someone in the backcourt during the OOC season? Remember Josh and his broken jaw a couple of years ago?

I think we all can agree that if Geno is not available until January, his value to this year's team is greatly reduced. I don't think Geno's addition to the team in January would greatly hinder the team. He likely would spend much more time on the pine than he would if he came to GU in September and his role would more likely be back-up and supportive than starter (or 6th man) and major contributor. However, trying to speculate the injury situation or our backcourt situation for January, today based on the information we have is dangerous.

The Wbb team provided 1-1/2-years of scholarship to Mak Williams, but despite spending 1-1/2 years on campus, for one reason or another, she was only eligible to play the 2nd half of her senior year. There were no apparent team chemistry problems and Mak helped the Wbb win at least a couple of games that would have been in doubt if she hadn't played. Whether the team got their "money's worth" from Mak by spending 1-1/2 years scholarship for a 1/2 year of play is debatable, there were at least a couple of times, the team was very happy she was on the team.

Whether it would be better to have Geno play half a year with this year's team or the entire year next year (if a scholarship is available) would be an interesting topic. Would Geno even want to play for GU next year if he can't play the entire year this year?

Is UND a quarter or semester school and when does the UND quarter end. Could he graduate at the quarter at UND and grad transfer to another school on the quarter system, possibly getting more time on the court?

Let's hope he get's it all figured out by Sept. 5 and he is enrolled at GU.

ZagDad

exclusivelee
08-29-2018, 10:11 PM
Wouldn’t assume everyone even saw the message. It is August

Jordan Matthews set a high bar for expectations as far as transfers go.

in the end ...it is what it is.Byron Wesley (USC) & Drew Barham (Memphis)? They also graduated from their undergraduate schools in 3 years and were immediately eligible.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2018, 02:00 AM
Biggest problem w 2nd semester eligibility, if this is in fact the best case scenario now, is that unlike any other mid year addition to a college hoops team, he would not even be on campus, going to classes and building offcourt chemistry w his teammates...let alone able to practice w them. I’m not sure there has ever been a mid season grad transfer before.

Definitely not good from coaching standpoint. Every other mid season eligible transfer would have been on campus for the past year (since January the year prior) and practicing w the team. This scenario would mean right as your team is literally hitting midseason form and adding layers of countermeasures to the base offense + clarifying defensive rotations, substitution patterns etc. when a new player shows up who has never even practiced once with the team. Either team growth comes to a screeching halt so you can teach the new guy everything about your system from scratch in order to carve out a role for him, or the team presses forward while the new guy gets spot minutes. I don’t see any other scenario. Sure will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ayayi or Norvell will need to run the point for good stretches....or maybe coaches do something radically creative like letting Rui run the offense for stretches.

caldwellzag
08-30-2018, 06:06 AM
Geno not being on campus is one thing, but the deletion of him from the roster is another thing. Saw this on GonzagaGuru's page, yikes!

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1035045575778021376

gozagswoohoo
08-30-2018, 06:11 AM
#FeelingNervous

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 06:13 AM
Geno not being on campus is one thing, but the deletion of him from the roster is another thing. Saw this on GonzagaGuru's page, yikes!

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1035045575778021376

Ugh!

caldwellzag
08-30-2018, 06:16 AM
#FeelingNervous

+1

I hope Ayayi is ready for a bigger role than was probably expected. Geno may still be here, but time for others to step up too!

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Gopher fans lurking on this board and posting on theirs:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?82514-Geno-Crandall/page62

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 06:28 AM
+1

I hope Ayayi is ready for a bigger role than was probably expected. Geno may still be here, but time for others to step up too!

he played 0 minutes at pg for France during the U18 Euros.

caldwellzag
08-30-2018, 06:50 AM

I know, that is what is scary about the spot we are in now. Perk and Norvell can handle the 1/2, but when they need a break then what!

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 06:56 AM
I know, that is what is scary about the spot we are in now. Perk and Norvell can handle the 1/2, but when they need a break then what!

Rui. He can handle the ball like a pg and has amazing court vision. Just like the Greek Freak for the Bucks. Doubt Few will do it though, but would be awesome to see.

caldwellzag
08-30-2018, 07:06 AM
Rui. He can handle the ball like a pg and has amazing court vision. Just like the Greek Freak for the Bucks. Doubt Few will do it though, but would be awesome to see.

That would be fun to see.

I was really hoping to see Geno running the point, hopefully we still will!

Zagceo
08-30-2018, 07:25 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/29/north-dakota-transfer-geno-crandall-not-enrolled-a/ (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/29/north-dakota-transfer-geno-crandall-not-enrolled-a/)

Zags1993
08-30-2018, 08:00 AM
He was the primary playmaker though. Dribbling the ball up the court is not going to be the issue here, it's more about playing with ball screens and he showed good things in that regard.

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 08:02 AM
He was the primary playmaker though. Dribbling the ball up the court is not going to be the issue here, it's more about playing with ball screens and he showed good things in that regard.

I watched all of their game save one. France's coaching staff was awful, waaay too much iso hero ball featuring Joel. he can break down his defender one on one, but no, he isn't a pg in any way, shape or form.

Bouldin4Prez
08-30-2018, 08:09 AM

Rui is a straight line driver and that's about it unless he has vastly improved his ball handling since last season. He averaged .6 assists a game last year, so I'm not sure about how good his court vision is either.

I absolutely love Rui but this entire offseason, people are trying to make him into something he's not. He still has a long ways to go to get a feel for the game. At this point, he's an awesome college hybrid forward who I hope even gets some time at center and we go small. There is a huge difference from bringing the ball up the court on a fast break and poking/prodding the defense that a ball handler needs to do to find the weak spot. I hope I'm proven wrong and Rui can be a point forward do it all guy this year, but nothing I have seen from him points to this. He's a great scorer/a guy with limitless defensive potential.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Ayayi isn’t there offensively. No way is Foster ready to compete at this level. It’ll be interesting.

Let’s hipe Perkins doesn’t have any lingering health issues and can eat a lot of minutes.

Malastein
08-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Here’s to hoping this is much ado about nothing!

ZagsGoZags
08-30-2018, 08:55 AM
When Kispert is healthy, how are his handles?
He drives the lane well, and has good vision and passing skills.
I wonder if he could spell Perkings a few minutes per game?

caldwellzag
08-30-2018, 09:00 AM
He drives the lane well, and has good vision and passing skills.
I wonder if he could spell Perkings a few minutes per game?

My guess (and that is all it is) is when Perk needs a break Snacks will run the point and we will go big with Kispert, Rui, Clarke, and Tille or we will use Ayayi at the 2 and Snacks at PG. We have a lot of match up issues we can exploit this year, so it probably will depend on who we are playing.

If you think of how deep we are Geno is a helpful addition at PG, but we have a ton of guys that can play many positions on the court. One thing this does is pretty much assures Rui will start at the 3 if Geno is ineligible.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Paul Pennington

bartruff1
08-30-2018, 09:19 AM
Geno was key....essential for a deep run....now the missing piece may be missing...

thespywhozaggedme
Rui is a straight line driver and that's about it unless he has vastly improved his ball handling since last season. He averaged .6 assists a game last year, so I'm not sure about how good his court vision is either.

I absolutely love Rui but this entire offseason, people are trying to make him into something he's not. He still has a long ways to go to get a feel for the game. At this point, he's an awesome college hybrid forward who I hope even gets some time at center and we go small. There is a huge difference from bringing the ball up the court on a fast break and poking/prodding the defense that a ball handler needs to do to find the weak spot. I hope I'm proven wrong and Rui can be a point forward do it all guy this year, but nothing I have seen from him points to this. He's a great scorer/a guy with limitless defensive potential.

How many do you expect an combo forward to average? I don't think there's a correlation between court vision and number of assists. If my 6 year old throws the ball to me and I make the basket, she got an assist.

thespywhozaggedme
Here’s to hoping this is much ado about nothing!

It isn't. he's not enrolled in school.

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 09:20 AM
My guess (and that is all it is) is when Perk needs a break Snacks will run the point and we will go big with Kispert, Rui, Clarke, and Tille or we will use Ayayi at the 2 and Snacks at PG. We have a lot of match up issues we can exploit this year, so it probably will depend on who we are playing.

If you think of how deep we are Geno is a helpful addition at PG, but we have a ton of guys that can play many positions on the court. One thing this does is pretty much assures Rui will start at the 3 if Geno is ineligible.

I agree with this. I think ZN is gonna put up monster #'s this year.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Geno was key....essential for a deep run....now the missing piece may be missing...

This could be true, unfortunately, unless someone emerges as more than just a “fill-in,” and surprises us with high level minutes in the backcourt.

Zags1993
08-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Ayayi isn’t there offensively. No way is Foster ready to compete at this level. It’ll be interesting.

Let’s hipe Perkins doesn’t have any lingering health issues and can eat a lot of minutes.

I just think a mix of Norvell, Ayayi, Kispert and Perkins is enough to handle the 1-2 positions. A month ago we were very positive on this squad, not sure why after this news we should downgrade our expectations so significantly. Geno was the icing on the cake.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 09:51 AM
I just think a mix of Norvell, Ayayi, Kispert and Perkins is enough to handle the 1-2 positions. A month ago we were very positive on this squad, not sure why after this news we should downgrade our expectations so significantly. Geno was the icing on the cake.

Ayayi would be a fill-in. That may not achieve a F4 banner. Kispert during the early portion of the year gave me a lot of hope. He had some issues in multiple areas during the second half. I’m hopeful for his continued progress, but I can recall several who have experienced a sophomore slump.

jazzdelmar
08-30-2018, 10:11 AM
So is one of his options to return to Dakota and play one more year? Or has that limb been hacked off as well? Really bad news.

Zagceo
08-30-2018, 10:14 AM
From slipper site in comment section....take it for what it is

I know two different people closely connected to the program

Who think he isn’t getting enrolled until spring semester…

Hooray4Daye&Gray
08-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Everyone is getting waaay ahead of themselves.

We have no choice but to be patient and wait to find out what happens next.

The one quote we have for now ends in “we are excited for him to become a Zag.”

I am excited for him to become a Zag. I hope it’s by September 5th, and if not, I’ll be excited for him to become a Zag 2nd semester.

There is no reason for me to believe as of now that he will never become a Zag. And he’s going to become one of my favorites.

gozagswoohoo
08-30-2018, 10:24 AM

My personal opinion....I mean...he could bring the ball up, but I wouldn't consider him a viable backup PG in the slightest.

I'm vaguely remembering something from last season...think it was the first exhibition game the zags played, and it wasn't televised, so I was watching it online. Well, the feed was live and the mic was 'hot' during a commercial break. Only...there WAS no ACTUAL commercial, the video feed just stayed on the court and mic's rolled, and it caught Dickau having a very candid convo with whoever he was with, I wanna say Heister. But he was talking about how everyone was excited about Kispert, and Dickau was talking about how Kispert had no chance at PG, and needed a lot of work on his handles or something?? I can't remember it all, but he was basically dogging Kispert's handles pretty hard (which...I'm not looking down on him for that or anything, I think he was actually completely accurate. Kispert's not a PG...so big deal?). Anyway, I think Dickau agrees, Kispert is no PG.

zagbeliever
08-30-2018, 10:40 AM
Everyone is getting waaay ahead of themselves.

We have no choice but to be patient and wait to find out what happens next.

The one quote we have for now ends in “we are excited for him to become a Zag.”

I am excited for him to become a Zag. I hope it’s by September 5th, and if not, I’ll be excited for him to become a Zag 2nd semester.

There is no reason for me to believe as of now that he will never become a Zag. And he’s going to become one of my favorites.

:agreed:

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2018, 10:43 AM
So is one of his options to return to Dakota and play one more year? Or has that limb been hacked off as well? Really bad news.

Play for UND for fall semester; graduate; play for Zags for 2nd semester? ;)

maynard g krebs
08-30-2018, 10:52 AM
Looks like 34 minutes a game for Perkins and Norvell. Norvell's the only remotely viable guy to back up Perk as PG. Kispert's a sf or a stretch 4; not even a sg much less a pg.

Second semester eligibility, though not ideal, would be a lot better than no Crandall at all.

GoZags
08-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Second semester eligibility, though not ideal, would be a lot better than no Crandall at all.

Bingo.

And I flat out love that the kid is still tweeting/retweeting Gonzaga/Kennel Club stuff

tinfoilzag
08-30-2018, 11:38 AM
An interesting question: Did Crandall or the staff know all along that he wouldn't start the season on the roster?

DixieZag
08-30-2018, 11:46 AM
This is shocking to me. Flex, you were right (or so it seems).

However, I am fully on board with THIS is the year we are going for it ALL, no putting anything on hold a year, and absolutely positively adding Geno for second semester is a no brainer to me, even if it initially takes some time to put chemistry back together. I have to believe a player of his experience and ability would be a net positive come real tournament time (as opposed to Maui) over any chemistry or other issues.

He's that good, and this is the year. He must be on the floor as a Zag when we play in March.

MDABE80
08-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Rumors.................:(

jazzdelmar
08-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Rumors.................:(

Unfortunately a bit higher in the credibility scale than rumors, Doc. Sounds bad. Especially no denials and the iffy gauntlet of him getting eligible in the first place. Assume no Geno until 2019, if then. Wondering if he gives back to Dakota or is that bridge burned.

MileHigh
08-30-2018, 12:29 PM
An interesting question: Did Crandall or the staff know all along that he wouldn't start the season on the roster?

no...he thought he could pass all those classes this summer to graduate and become eligible. Didnt work out that way. My guess is that he plays for UND next season. Sitting out (no practice or games) the first half of the season then trying to step in and play in January wouldn't be good for him or Gonzaga.

strikenowhere
08-30-2018, 12:32 PM
no...he thought he could pass all those classes this summer to graduate and become eligible. Didnt work out that way. My guess is that he plays for UND next season. Sitting out (no practice or games) the first half of the season then trying to step in and play in January wouldn't be good for him or Gonzaga.

Wow talk about disappointing for everyone - I can't imagine how difficult it would be for him to go back to UND.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Good points, as always. Thoughts on the backup guard positions?

CDC84
08-30-2018, 12:53 PM
If I am not mistaken Elias Harris wasn't enrolled at Gonzaga at this time either, but it all worked out in the end. It was a concern going well into September. Everyone thought he wasn't enrolled, but they figured something out.

I would take Geno is a heartbeat if he were a mid-year transfer (if that's allowed with a grad-school transfer). The Zags desperately need another PG on the roster, and Geno is a proven commodity. Could be the difference between winning the title or not.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 12:59 PM
If I am not mistaken Elias Harris wasn't enrolled at Gonzaga at this time either, but it all worked out in the end. It was a concern going well into September. Everyone thought he wasn't enrolled, but they figured something out.

I would take Geno is a heartbeat if he were a mid-year transfer (if that's allowed with a grad-school transfer). The Zags desperately need another PG on the roster, and Geno is a proven commodity. Could be the difference between winning the title or not.

If it wasn’t for the explicit removal of him from the roster, I think there would be more hope. In the Harris comparison, it was a lack of knowledge which led to a few false inferences and concerns. In this case, actions by the athletic department support the concerns.

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Bogo mentioned that Geno could redshirt this year and play for us next season. Was he being serious, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.

CDC84
08-30-2018, 01:03 PM
If it wasn’t for the explicit removal of him from the roster, I think there would be more hope. In the Harris comparison, it was a lack of knowledge which led to a few false inferences and concerns. In this case, actions by the athletic department support the concerns.

You have a point. I'd still like to find out if it's possible for him to do a mid-year transfer as a grad student. Jim mentions the confusion surrounding this in the podcast. This is a kid who has a chance to play final four games in his hometown.

MileHigh
08-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Bogo mentioned that Geno could redshirt this year and play for us next season. Was he being serious, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Crandall already used his RS year.

zagfan24
08-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Regardless, I wish the young man all the best. Given how much distress this causes me and I'm sure many of you, I can't imagine how harrowing this has been for Geno. If 5 summer classes was indeed the requirement, that's a TON of work given the already very condensed class schedule and with a transfer/move on the mind. I hope all turns out well for him.

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2018, 01:21 PM

Well crap.

Zagceo
08-30-2018, 01:34 PM

reasonable assumption

CDC84
08-30-2018, 01:52 PM
If Few does bring him in after the fall term completes, it will be because of this:

Dec. 18 Texas-Arlington
Dec. 21 Denver
Dec. 28 North Alabama
Dec. 31 Cal State Bakersfield
---
Jan. 5 Santa Clara
Jan. 10 Pacific
Jan. 12 at San Francisco
Jan. 17 LMU
Jan. 19 at Portland
Jan. 24 at Santa Clara

That's all before GU plays at BYU on Jan. 31. Needless to say, there is no way Few would play Geno at UNC on Dec. 15. It really comes down to HOW MUCH of a difference Few believes he could make to the team come March Madness. How quickly, as an experienced player, he could nail down the playbook and such. This year's team is so gifted that they have a chance to bring him along super slowly. Keep in mind.....Minneapolis is Geno's hometown.

Goshzagit
08-30-2018, 01:55 PM
21 credits to complete as of last May.

That's a mountain to climb b/w June-August while visiting schools, and participating in club bball the entire summer.

Not sure he secured all the classes needed to qualify by September.

He has til Tuesday to be enrolled.

We will see...

MDABE80
08-30-2018, 01:56 PM
OK! things just got more interesting. I hope Ayayi plays like he did in Europe this Summer. Shooting was good this Summer.. Everything else is improved. Experience might be an issue but raw talent isn't.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Agree w MileHigh here that playing a final season of hoops at UND is preferable assuming they still have a schollie for him and would welcome him back.

Those of you saying January eligibility is still best case scenario seem to be ignoring the logistics of adding a new player to the team midseason who HAS NEVER EVEN PRACTICED WITH THE TEAM. No midseason transfer has ever done this; they always have a year to acclimate to new school, teammates and practice with the team, learn the system etc.

The team would have to really stunt its growth to give Crandall a fair shot at contributing meaningful minutes. Practice time would have to revert to preseason - teaching a new player the basic sets and responsibilities on both ends of the floor - instead of developing countermeasures to what the big time early season opponents did to Zags defensively. Those early season games are not just necessary resume builders (hopefully); they provide coaching staff w tape to review, dissect how opponents are attacking their weaknesses then tweak the O and D accordingly. How do you do that w a brand new player who doesn’t even know the basics of this team’s sets?

Zag coaches owe it to the players, especially Perkins, to not stop this train midseason. Keep up the momentum and see how far the team you have can take each other. This is a harsh but clear example of the team’s goals needing to trump the individual’s goals.

jazzdelmar
08-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Geno we hardly knew ye....

DixieZag
08-30-2018, 04:09 PM
And yet this was from KREM yesterday: https://www.krem.com/article/sports/geno-crandalls-transfer-to-gonzaga-not-complete/293-588907533

A school spokesperson told KREM 2, "Geno Crandall is continuing to work on his NCAA transfer requirements, and we are excited for him to become a Zag".

While that is not "good," it is not exactly bad, either - certainly doesn't seem to be a sure thing that he won't play. and two days ago he re-tweeted the Kennel club dancing up and down. As of two days ago at the very least, it appears that HE still thinks he will be a Zag, bc no way would he simply re-tweet that after being crushed upon finding out one isn't eligible.

Just .... weird.

mainer6
08-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Geno we hardly knew ye....

He knew what was needed to get eligible and didn't make it happen. With all the guidance available to athletes, he would have been able to select professors with reputations for being flexible, could have created a good balance of online and face to face classes, could have received copious amounts of tutoring, would have had people helping him with daily scheduling, due dates and time management and should have scheduled his summer solely around completing these courses. Of course, I could be way off, but this, to me, indicates some misguided priorities and/or some lack of character. I know. I know. 21 credits is a lot of work. School isn't always easy (although, it isn't always brutally difficult) and any number of things could have happened to trip him up. But I can't help but feel this ineligibility smacks of a bit of knuckleheadedness. Maybe he is not the guy to shoulder all these NC expectations. Think of the list of fan bases that probably feel more than a bit burned by this guy: North Dakota, Minnesota and now Gonzaga. He may not be Mr. Reliable. Just my gut reaction. I hope he has a long and fruitful life and all that stuff...
Go Josh Perkins. I'm a big fan.

NotoriousZ
08-30-2018, 05:00 PM

Isn’t Gibbs in his 13th year at Creighton?

It would be fantastic if he gets in for the fall, but I would take Geno for half a year.

Zagceo
08-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Geno Crandall is a case study on how to transfer to a top college basketball programtitle might have been a little premature

“I think I definitely got on their radar after that game,” Crandall said (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/06/geno-crandall-leaves-minneapolis-hoping-to-return-/). “Coach Few mentioned at the time that he kind of watched out ever since then, knowing that I was a player who had redshirted my first year and had the possibility to graduate and transfer for my last year. When he got the news that (me transferring) was going to be a reality, he kind of turned the pressure up from there.”
And so goes the story of how a no-star recruit, whose only Division I offers coming out of high school were from North Dakota and Drake, will wrap up his college career chasing a national championship with one of college basketball’s most powerful programs.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/7/9/17548752/college-hoops-grad-transfers-geno-crandall-gonzaga-national-title

Mantua
08-30-2018, 06:05 PM

That's a mountain to climb b/w June-August while visiting schools, and participating in club bball the entire summer.

We will see...

Best post! We’ll see next week.

Eventually, someone is bound to let us know when Geno can play.

GonzaGAW
08-30-2018, 06:17 PM
This is shocking to me. Flex, you were right (or so it seems).

However, I am fully on board with THIS is the year we are going for it ALL, no putting anything on hold a year, and absolutely positively adding Geno for second semester is a no brainer to me, even if it initially takes some time to put chemistry back together. I have to believe a player of his experience and ability would be a net positive come real tournament time (as opposed to Maui) over any chemistry or other issues.

He's that good, and this is the year. He must be on the floor as a Zag when we play in March.

this it the post that makes the most sense to me. why were we after geno? to win basketball games, and to win a national title. if geno is late to the team, maybe we do not win a couple of games (total speculation) but on the team at mid season still increases our chances at a national title. I seriously doubt anyone could argue otherwise.

not saying others on the team now could not step up and step up big time, but again we went after geno for a reason and that reason has not changed, only perhaps his arrival time.

RenoZag
08-30-2018, 06:24 PM

"to dream the impossible dream. . ."

bdmiller7
08-30-2018, 06:41 PM
The articles say he is working on his NCAA transfer requirements. Could it be he's just waiting on NCAA approval and has his classes done, sometimes they're not the speediest operation. I haven't seen anything that said he was still completing classwork. Just another glass half full angle I thought possible.

ZagsObserver
08-30-2018, 06:52 PM
The articles say he is working on his NCAA transfer requirements. Could it be he's just waiting on NCAA approval and has his classes done, sometimes they're not the speediest operation. I haven't seen anything that said he was still completing classwork. Just another glass half full angle I thought possible.

Except that the school (North Dakota) would show the graduation. That’s not contingent on NCAA approval.

Zagceo
08-30-2018, 07:16 PM

We will see...

So Geno needed 21 credits after going to North Dakota for 4 years?(including 3 summer school opportunities)

bartruff1
08-30-2018, 07:47 PM
21 credits is no problem at North Carolina...

229SintoZag
08-30-2018, 08:45 PM
21 credits is no problem at North Carolina...

Game set match Bart wins. LOL.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-31-2018, 12:22 AM
this it the post that makes the most sense to me. why were we after geno? to win basketball games, and to win a national title. if geno is late to the team, maybe we do not win a couple of games (total speculation) but on the team at mid season still increases our chances at a national title. I seriously doubt anyone could argue otherwise.

not saying others on the team now could not step up and step up big time, but again we went after geno for a reason and that reason has not changed, only perhaps his arrival time.

I just did argue otherwise; see post #80 above. Add to that this dandy scenario: Zags rally behind this unexpected twist to their season. Perkins and Norvell handle the PG minutes just fine between them with an improved Kispert gobbling up and punishing opponents with the increased playing time he gets as a result of Crandall not being in the rotation. Much to everyone’s delight, Zags navigate their OOC schedule w a single loss vs Duke in the Maui Championship (a double OT thriller pundits are calling best game of the season).

You want to mess w this team’s chemistry and rotation mid season to add a brand new player who doesn’t even know the basic sets - or any of his teammates yet for that matter? OR You want the coaches to tell Crandall “ yeah, um, looks like this team is actually fantastic without you and we just can’t upset the chemistry we have going here; it wouldn’t be fair to these guys. So, ummm, for your final semester of college ball [the one you needed to audition for pro teams] you’ll be on the bench.

Too risky imho to add a brand new player in January. Surely everyone involved w Crandall made it crystal clear his part in making this grad transfer happen was to complete the necessary coursework. IF it ends up he hasn’t done so and can’t transfer now til January, that’s on him.

NotoriousZ
08-31-2018, 05:21 AM
I don’t know, Flex. This is could be another one of the positive reasons about staying in the WCC. We can bring a guy in mid season and hopefully not lose a game while he and the team adjust. Yes, there would be much to learn for Geno to run GU’s offense, but he will be a fifth year senior.

And the best reason for doing it, even if the team is doing great without him, would be having much needed depth at the point.

GoZags
08-31-2018, 05:44 AM
All I know is the reporting that he's still working on what needs to be done, and he's still tweeting about Gonzaga.

We'll know when we know, and all the hand wringing and speculation and "what-ifs" isn't going to change a thing.

I wish Geno nothing but good luck taking care of his business, and I'm hopeful that he'll be a Zag sometime soon.

SteelCityZag
08-31-2018, 05:50 AM
Sounds to me like he's got until Tuesday.

bartruff1
08-31-2018, 05:52 AM
Of course it would be best to have him for the entire season but he could be the difference if he can play the last part of the season....

Happens all the time in every sport when a player is injured or suspended. Emery will miss the first 9 games at BYU for taking some things of value from a alum ……

GoZags
08-31-2018, 06:13 AM
Sounds to me like he's got until Tuesday.

I don't know that the "last day to register" date doesn't have some flexibility (like it did for Elias). I know USC has a "last day to register" rule, but my brother had major, life saving surgery in August before his freshman year and missed the first 4 weeks of school before arriving in Los Angeles. They let him in.

We'll see what happens ... but I'm choosing to think "positive".

Zagceo
08-31-2018, 06:36 AM
I’d be more optimistic if the athletic deptment would have been more optimistic and left his name on the roster.

Reborn
08-31-2018, 06:40 AM
If Geno Crandall is unable to play until Dec. 18th, I believe Mark Few will find a way to win. I think Ayayi is ready to play. He could play the 2 and Norvell would play at the point. I think another possibility is having Kispert playing the two When Norvell plays the point. We certainly wouldn't lose our ability to shoot the THREE BALL.

Challenge yourself to stay positive. If the Zags wait until Dec. 18th to begin to insert Crandall as the back up point guard, I think it will makes the Zags stronger. I always try to stay positive. And I think it's the best course to take, for me.

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
08-31-2018, 06:45 AM
I agree----The situation is not going to get better by being negative --- but positivity can be a conundrum for some --i.e. see jazz

Some of the other guys will get additional minutes -- and we can develop some other players in preparation for our run in the dance and for next year-- more weapons= good thing.

hondo
08-31-2018, 06:46 AM
There you go again GoZags--being reasonable and making sense. That is not what these forums are all about. You are truly the new voice of reason in these unreasonable times. Thank you.

thespywhozaggedme
08-31-2018, 07:09 AM
If Geno Crandall is unable to play until Dec. 18th, I believe Mark Few will find a way to win. I think Ayayi is ready to play. He could play the 2 and Norvell would play at the point. I think another possibility is having Kispert playing the two When Norvell plays the point. We certainly wouldn't lose our ability to shoot the THREE BALL.

Challenge yourself to stay positive. If the Zags wait until Dec. 18th to begin to insert Crandall as the back up point guard, I think it will makes the Zags stronger. I always try to stay positive. And I think it's the best course to take, for me.

Go Zags!!!
I love this idea. What a big lineup and mismatch for our opponents to have ZN at the 1 and CK at the 2, love it!

jazzdelmar
08-31-2018, 07:43 AM
I agree----The situation is not going to get better by being negative --- but positivity can be a conundrum for some --i.e. see jazz

Some of the other guys will get additional minutes -- and we can develop some other players in preparation for our run in the dance and for next year-- more weapons= good thing.

Why the ad hominem attack in this context?

GoZags
08-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Why the ad hominem attack in this context?

Please let this slide, so there isn't a back and forth that will lead to this important thread being locked. And ZD ... no need to call out specific posters on the way they've expressed their sentiments.

The bottom line is a p'ing contest between boardmembers invariably ends with the thread being locked, and often is worse for the participants.

As for Geno, like I posted earlier we'll know when we know.

bdmiller7
08-31-2018, 08:02 AM
Even if he isn't eligible until the end of the 1st semester he only misses 10 games. That gives 20 regular season games and 2.5 months to gel with the team before conference and NCAA tourneys. Not worried yet.

bballbeachbum
08-31-2018, 08:07 AM
I prefer being positive too even though this is a distraction
anyway, we'll see. hoping Josh's rehab is coming along well. others having to step up will only make the team stronger, imo. I remember when Mateen Cleaves went down with injury and Charlie Bell had to adjust and play the point. that experience served Izzo's team well in March

bdmiller7
08-31-2018, 08:08 AM
Sorry, 11 games missed. I think they could play a total of 39 games not counting scrimmages and exhibitions.

bballbeachbum
08-31-2018, 08:13 AM
Sorry, 11 games missed. I think they could play a total of 39 games not counting scrimmages and exhibitions.

re. the number of games, Cleaves missed 13 games the year MSU won it all. of course, he was intimate with the program so when he returned it won't be like Geno, but the experience served the other Spartans well

JPtheBeasta
08-31-2018, 08:16 AM
I think the added depth and benefit of having his talents in March is worth the patience on this one. A talented, experienced, unselfish player will find a way to contribute. Ammo famously didn’t know the plays as a freshman and he did alright :)

What a crazy scenario, though...

JPtheBeasta
08-31-2018, 08:41 AM
re. the number of games, Cleaves missed 13 games the year MSU won it all. of course, he was intimate with the program so when he returned it won't be like Geno, but the experience served the other Spartans well

I agree that the lack of ability to practice or even be around during film sessions and walk-through would be a different scenario/challenge for Geno. If I remember correctly, Kyrie Irving is another guy in recent memory who stepped in after being gone a long time, but again, he was around the team during his recovery (I assume) and is obviously a transcendent talent. The coaches know best if it would be even worth trying, but it seems like this is uncharted territory for them, too.

3XaZag
08-31-2018, 08:45 AM
I thought I would post a possible scenario that makes sense and still has a positive twist for Geno playing this fall. I admit I have the least inside info of anyone on this board, but here is a scenario that fits all the facts we know if Geno needed 21 units at the start of the summer.. A full load for a regular semester is 15. So he needed to make up a semester and a half of work in the shortened summer sessions. Most schools now run two summer sessions of 3 to 4 weeks each- usually one in June-maybe a bit into July, then the second session is late July, maybe into early August. In These intensive summer session 2 classes or 6 units is generally considered full load... but maybe with tutors and assistant 3 classes each might be done(it would be brutal) done. If he completed that gauntlet, he would then need 1 independent studies class in late August and early September to get the last three units. As a safety Margis if he had trouble with one class in the first two periods he might be able to make it up with a second non- traditional study class,

This scenario fits our facts Geno may see he is getting close, so he is posting away that he will be a zag. The school is showing some caution so it is not putting his name on the roster and is admitting he is not enrolled. All very hypothetical but it makes sense

VaBeachZAG
08-31-2018, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE This scenario fits our facts Geno may see he is getting close, so he is posting away that he will be a zag. The school is showing some caution so it is not putting his name on the roster and is admitting he is not enrolled. All very hypothetical but it makes sense[/QUOTE]

Indeed, it does make a lot of sense!

caldwellzag
08-31-2018, 09:38 AM
I thought I would post a possible scenario that makes sense and still has a positive twist for Geno playing this fall. I admit I have the least inside info of anyone on this board, but here is a scenario that fits all the facts we know if Geno needed 21 units at the start of the summer.. A full load for a regular semester is 15. So he needed to make up a semester and a half of work in the shortened summer sessions. Most schools now run two summer sessions of 3 to 4 weeks each- usually one in June-maybe a bit into July, then the second session is late July, maybe into early August. In These intensive summer session 2 classes or 6 units is generally considered full load... but maybe with tutors and assistant 3 classes each might be done(it would be brutal) done. If he completed that gauntlet, he would then need 1 independent studies class in late August and early September to get the last three units. As a safety Margis if he had trouble with one class in the first two periods he might be able to make it up with a second non- traditional study class,

This scenario fits our facts Geno may see he is getting close, so he is posting away that he will be a zag. The school is showing some caution so it is not putting his name on the roster and is admitting he is not enrolled. All very hypothetical but it makes sense

There are some other possibilities that could be playing a factor as well, if he needed a class or two that was not offered directly at UND then he could have taken an online course through another school and is waiting on these credits to either be finished or transferred to UND. Getting all your transcripts from multiple schools can take time and if there is a hang up somewhere then it would make sense that he is working with the NCAA to figure out eligibility.

raise the zag
08-31-2018, 09:49 AM
I'm just surprised this wasn't monitored more closely the moment he decided to transfer -- by both Geno's team & Gonzaga's team.

This should have been taken care of, with guarantees, months ago. A set plan, with help, guidance, mentorship, & a slam dunk he would be enrolled at GU by September.

None of this should be happening or fallen through the cracks, esp not for a grad transfer coming to a Top 5 team. Did we not vet this situation and plan accordingly for it?

Disappointing. We are just as accountable as Geno imho

CDC84
08-31-2018, 09:50 AM
We just have to be patient. Academics is a massive privacy issue, and I would be very hesitant to trust any leaks or rumors regarding this issue until we get some sort of official announcement. As old Tom Petty (RIP) once said, "The waiting is the hardest part."

MDABE80
08-31-2018, 09:58 AM
It'll shine when it shines. We have enough even if Geno doesn't find his way to Boone. He makes things easier. Much of this appears to be hysteria on top of facts......some known but the important ones NOT known. I have a feeling he'll be with us even if it's 7 weeks late and he pops up in mid-late December.

We'll have to wait and see. I do know the wheels are turning though.

Grand Valley Zag
08-31-2018, 10:01 AM
We just have to be patient. Academics is a massive privacy issue, and I would be very hesitant to trust any leaks or rumors regarding this issue until we get some sort of official announcement. As old Tom Petty (RIP) once said, "The waiting is the hardest part."

every day you get one more yard . . .

Reborn
08-31-2018, 10:02 AM

I totally agree. I love that Tom Petty song, and Have used it to straighten out my anxieties. We have not heard from The staff of Zag basketball, so I would not assume he will not be playing for the Zags.

Go Zags!!!

23dpg
08-31-2018, 10:10 AM
every day you get one more yard . . .

Every day you see one more card. But both statements are apropos.
This is distressing news. Geno really fills a void in the lineup.
I hope it all works out for the best.
Hopefully we get an ace on the river. (Poker reference to continue the song analogy)

Zagceo
08-31-2018, 10:14 AM
“Geno is continuing to work on his NCAA transfer requirements and we are excited for him to become a Zag,” Gonzaga sports information director Barrett Henderson said.

He declined further comment.

Crandall had been listed on the roster on Gonzaga’s men’s basketball website, but his name wasn’t on the roster Wednesday.

Crandall and Gonzaga head coach Mark Few didn’t return phone messages.

Meehan digging four one one

ZagDad84
08-31-2018, 10:17 AM
Ok Flex, I will have a go at your opinion:

Those of you saying January eligibility is still best case scenario seem to be ignoring the logistics of adding a new player to the team midseason who HAS NEVER EVEN PRACTICED WITH THE TEAM. No midseason transfer has ever done this; they always have a year to acclimate to new school, teammates and practice with the team, learn the system etc.

I am not willing to spend the time to verify this but with well over 300+ D1 schools, and the larger number of years, I am fairly certain that not only has it happened but I am quite sure that it has happened more than once.

The team would have to really stunt its growth to give Crandall a fair shot at contributing meaningful minutes. Practice time would have to revert to preseason - teaching a new player the basic sets and responsibilities on both ends of the floor - instead of developing countermeasures to what the big time early season opponents did to Zags defensively. Those early season games are not just necessary resume builders (hopefully); they provide coaching staff w tape to review, dissect how opponents are attacking their weaknesses then tweak the O and D accordingly. How do you do that w a brand new player who doesn’t even know the basics of this team’s sets?

Agreed. The best case scenario would be to have Geno here not only from Sept on, but also for the entire summer, but it appears that may not happen. So if Geno is not available starting in Sept, is the team better off with or without Geno for the second semester.

Zags rally behind this unexpected twist to their season. Perkins and Norvell handle the PG minutes just fine between them (You Assume) with an improved (We Hope) Kispert gobbling up and punishing opponents with the increased playing time he gets as a result of Crandall not being in the rotation. Much to everyone’s delight, Zags navigate their OOC schedule w a single loss vs Duke in the Maui Championship (a double OT thriller pundits are calling best game of the season). (Pure Conjecture, but we can always hope)

You want to mess w this team’s chemistry (This year's team has not established a chemistry, yet) and rotation mid season to add a brand new player who doesn’t even know the basic sets - or any of his teammates yet for that matter?

We do this every year with the incoming Freshman. Yes they get a couple of months to see where they stand before the season starts but a couple of months from the middle of December puts the date of Geno's integration at the middle to end of February. Just in time for a the end of the regular season and the WCC and NCAA tourneys.

First you say:

OR You want the coaches to tell Crandall “ yeah, um, looks like this team is actually fantastic without you and we just can’t upset the chemistry we have going here; it wouldn’t be fair to these guys. So, ummm, for your final semester of college ball [the one you needed to audition for pro teams] you’ll be on the bench.

Then you add:

Surely everyone involved w Crandall made it crystal clear his part in making this grad transfer happen was to complete the necessary coursework. IF it ends up he hasn’t done so and can’t transfer now til January, that’s on him.

There are no guarantees. You suit up, practice, and take your shot. If your not good enough to crack the starting line-up or even the Top 6 or 7, that is the risk every Grad Transfer takes. It is most likely, the scholarship given to Geno is gone for this year whether he uses it or not. Assuming GU honors their agreement with Geno, as you said it was Geno's failure (no matter how unrealistic it was) to finish up his degree this summer that put him in this situation. If he still wants to come to GU at the semester knowing the make-up of the team, who are we to argue with him.

It appears that your position is that Geno's introduction to the team at the semester and his potential (negative) impact on the chemistry (yet to be established) of the Zags is more of a detriment than the addition him to the team would bring. Fair Enough.

I think that bringing an experienced point guard to the mix (providing much needed back-up to the position) who has shown he can score by far outweighs the impact on the chemistry of the team. If he doesn't fit into the chemistry of the team, he will simply sit on the pine. If he fits into the chemistry of the team, he could be a big asset going into tournament system.

IMO, the risk is small to have him come in at semester (assuming he does not come to GU in Sept) but the payoff could be big.

ZagDad

Grand Valley Zag
08-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Every day you see one more card. But both statements are apropos.
This is distressing news. Geno really fills a void in the lineup.
I hope it all works out for the best.
Hopefully we get an ace on the river. (Poker reference to continue the song analogy)

Doesn't he say both?