PDA

View Full Version : Zag Off Season Coping Mechanisms

ZagsGoZags
08-21-2018, 02:49 AM
After the NCAA tournament is over, whether we played in the national championship or lost in the first round (remember Wyoming?) a kind of dread creeps in about my zag feelings.
Does this happen to any of you also?
It makes me envy the fans of MLB who get lots of hours watching their team for a long season.
I have tried searching topics related to zags on google, reading our board frequenty, getting involved in some of the recruiting issues and disputes, etc. I rewatch games from last season, which is quite helpful sometimes, but still has that empty feeling afterwards, after all I knew the outcome already.

BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND A GOOD ANSWER TO THIS MALAISE.

So I know we have some smart people on this Message Board, and I would like to know what some of you have found to relieve the pain of the 7 month off season. What has worked for you may work for some of the rest of us in the suffering brotherhood. Sisterhood too.

TexasZagFan
08-21-2018, 04:09 AM
I spend a fair amount of time looking for snappy memes.

http://forums-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/3/c/3cd73943f9b67cfde6c52857d6bc8622ed741fb2.jpeg

https://steemitimages.com/0x0/https://i.imgflip.com/1s0vmi.jpg

GoZags
08-21-2018, 04:26 AM
When Mrs. GoZags is traveling I've been known to fire up the TiVo and rewatch the last 5 minutes of a number of NCAA tourney wins before I nod off at night .... including the Iowa win in Key Arena and the Sweet 16 win over UCLA in '15 ... the Seton Hall and Utah drubbings as an 11 seed in '16, the magical '17 run including West Virginia (my favorite), Xavier and South Carolina (my 2nd favorite) and then last year vs UNCG and Ohio State. And there are times I'll re-watch the post game press conferences from some of those games as well some of the more "vintage" Zag victories on youtube (i.e. '00 the 10 seed Zags over 2 seed St. John's or the '99 10 seed Zags over 2 seed Stanford)

I think there's a 12 step program for this, but I'm not ready to admit I have a problem ...

TexasZagFan
08-21-2018, 04:35 AM
When Mrs. GoZags is traveling I've been known to fire up the TiVo and rewatch the last 5 minutes of a number of NCAA tourney wins before I nod off at night .... including the Iowa in Key Arena and the Sweet 16 win over UCLA in '15 ... the Seton Hall and Utah drubbings as an 11 seed in '16, the magical '17 run including West Virginia (my favorite), Xavier and South Carolina (my 2nd favorite) and then last year vs UNCG and Ohio State. And there are times I'll re-watch the post game press conferences from some of those games as well.

I think there's a 12 step program for this, but I'm not ready to admit I have a problem ...

Time to take what I have left in my bitcoin account and buy me some TiVo.

My wife tells me everyday that I have a Zag hoops addiction...rather than issue an empty threat to divorce her, I just fire this video up:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56f4be4540261d41417c3bf2/t/58dc025415d5db05ed2dee09/1490813536180/

ZagnetitForce
08-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Join a fantasy MLB league and go all in on it!

maynard g krebs
08-21-2018, 11:41 AM
I play a lot of pickup basketball, so I don't miss watching that much in the offseason.

RenoZag
08-21-2018, 02:45 PM
I go camping, tend to the garden, read a fair amount, and stay in touch with my feelings. . .

[emoji57]

The “Decade of Excellence” DVD also helps

LTownZag
08-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Finally found an online video of the National Championship game that I never saw.

Bittersweet, including Dickie V stating that Karnowski "will get drafted and play in the NBA" and that Nigel would be a late first rounder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiQipA9A2R4

Angelo Roncalli
08-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Tee up the YouTube video of Will Foster blocking Omar Samhan, Omar falling to the floor, then getting the travel call.
Watch.
Laugh.
Rinse.
Repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuztT2wpxow

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Angelo in the house!!! Don’t know ya but have missed your presence here. Nice

GoZags
08-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Angelo in the house!!! Don’t know ya but have missed your presence here. Nice

Angelo. Da. Man.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Time to take what I have left in my bitcoin account and buy me some TiVo.

My wife tells me everyday that I have a Zag hoops addiction...rather than issue an empty threat to divorce her, I just fire this video up:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56f4be4540261d41417c3bf2/t/58dc025415d5db05ed2dee09/1490813536180/

Don't let the bear market get you down.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Tee up the YouTube video of Will Foster blocking Omar Samhan, Omar falling to the floor, then getting the travel call.
Watch.
Laugh.
Rinse.
Repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuztT2wpxow

Will Foster only needed that one play to justify his scholarship. If he had only played that one play, the ownage of Ham Sammich, Duke of Chiclet Teeth is enough. We salute you, Will.

coolhandzag
08-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Mt. bike quite a bit.

Double black / double down off chuckanut is getting beat to death. Alger / back side of Blanchard still prett good despite heat.

No NFL this year.....more riding.....I’ll shut down for the Zags though, every time.

zag67
08-22-2018, 05:46 AM
I think that our coping should be like a bear. Hibernate all summer and wake up in September. It is getting close

LongIslandZagFan
08-22-2018, 06:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE

thespywhozaggedme
08-22-2018, 06:58 AM
two words: college football

Zagsker
08-22-2018, 07:04 AM
I usually spend the summer months putting my bitcoins in jars and burying them in the backyard

Robzagnut
08-22-2018, 08:05 AM
1. Kayaking & Hiking

2. NFL

3. Adopt an NBA team (since my beloved Sonics are gone). I've followed the Celtics ever since KO played for them. They're going to be awesome next year. And this year I'm also adopting the Denver Nuggets who missed the playoffs by one game losing their final game to the Timberwolves (winner was in, loser out). They're intriguing, because they're pretty good and Michael Porter Jr. fell to them at #14 in the NBA draft.

4. Watch NBA playoffs and cheer for whoever is playing against Houston and the James Hardin 'ball hog' offense where he stands and dribbles at the top of the key for 20 seconds and either shoots a 3 or drives/dishes. Absolutely mind numbing boring basketball.

5. The lake

6. Seattle Mariners

baitcast
08-22-2018, 01:55 PM
I'm a very old person and don't get out much any more so my Zag time is very important to me so this time of year is a pain in the arse , I've tried baseball that puts me asleep, I luv fishing but all the lakes are drying up and the monsoons are rocking and rolling, how you can have a dust storm in the middle of pouring rain is beyond me?
So I just try to stay busy, can't even mow the lawn its all rock, 09 came along so that did our Vegas play time in that meant the Zags were more important than ever as is this site and my friends info to keep me informed and up to date....F/4 and than the world guys.....Rob

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-22-2018, 04:24 PM
I have started reading more online about other college hoops teams I like but no longer follow closely, like the Georgetown Hoyas.

I lived in D.C, from ‘79-‘85 when, as a carrot to his family for our having to move from our small town in central NY and change grade schools etc etc, my dad got 6 season tickets at the Capital Center in Landover Maryland. As fate would have it, a guy by the name of Patrick Ewing moved to DC a year later. I was a fanatical Hoyas fan from 5th grade through 10th grade...when we moved back to Syracuse.

The Hoyas have a super exciting frosh backcourt this year affectionately known as Mackinjo (James Akinjo and Mac MacClung). Ewing is heading into his 2nd season as head coach. The Hoyas should be fun to follow again this season. If you don’t know about him, do yourself a favor and read up on Mac MacClung and watch some highlights! Both frosh shone brightly in the Hoyas summer Kenner league.

DixieZag
08-22-2018, 06:26 PM
two words: college football

This.

Notre Dame plays Michigan Sept 1st - a little over a week and a half away, as soon as college football starts, I have something to watch with real rooting interests all over the country, it makes it infinitely easier. In fact, the true desert, the wasteland of all sports fanaticism (at least TV and some attendance sports) occurs after the NHL/NBA/US Open all end (right about the same time) until the first weekend of college football season.

But, it will not be long now, we can feel it coming. Then it slides right into October practice, next thing you know we have an Exhibition game, and there you have it!

DixieZag
08-22-2018, 06:32 PM
I have started reading more online about other college hoops teams I like but no longer follow closely, like the Georgetown Hoyas.

I lived in D.C, from ‘79-‘85 when, as a carrot to his family for our having to move from our small town in central NY and change grade schools etc etc, my dad got 6 season tickets at the Capital Center in Landover Maryland. As fate would have it, a guy by the name of Patrick Ewing moved to DC a year later. I was a fanatical Hoyas fan from 5th grade through 10th grade...when we moved back to Syracuse.

The Hoyas have a super exciting frosh backcourt this year affectionately known as Mackinjo (James Akinjo and Mac MacClung). Ewing is heading into his 2nd season as head coach. The Hoyas should be fun to follow again this season. If you don’t know about him, do yourself a favor and read up on Mac MacClung and watch some highlights! Both frosh shone brightly in the Hoyas summer Kenner league.

That must have been an interesting move in 86, being a super Hoya fan moving into Syracuse, right in the middle of the golden age of Big East basketball, just as ESPN was really hitting its stride. The Big East and ESPN grew together in many ways. Did you ever attend a Syracuse-Georgetown game at the Carrier Dome as a Hoya fan?

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-23-2018, 01:48 AM
That must have been an interesting move in 86, being a super Hoya fan moving into Syracuse, right in the middle of the golden age of Big East basketball, just as ESPN was really hitting its stride. The Big East and ESPN grew together in many ways. Did you ever attend a Syracuse-Georgetown game at the Carrier Dome as a Hoya fan?

Yes, I did indeed. My best friend in h.s. took me to several games at the Dome with his dads season tickets: midcourt, 10th row, directly between the two team benches. Best game I saw was when Georgetown’s Charles Smith drove coast to coast, finger roll at the rim, horn sounds as ball is ln the air, drops in for the Hoyas win. I went nuts, the Dome went silent, my buddy’s dad gave me the stink eye.

Best game I ever saw in the Dome was Navy and David Robinson vs ‘Cuse w the Pearl and Rony Seikaly on St Patrick’s Day in 1986. It was an NCAA tourney game. Most dominant performance by a player on both ends of the court I have ever seen as Robinson took Seikaly to the shed for a beating. Navy won.

DixieZag
08-23-2018, 04:29 AM
Yes, I did indeed. My best friend in h.s. took me to several games at the Dome with his dads season tickets: midcourt, 10th row, directly between the two team benches. Best game I saw was when Georgetown’s Charles Smith drove coast to coast, finger roll at the rim, horn sounds as ball is ln the air, drops in for the Hoyas win. I went nuts, the Dome went silent, my buddy’s dad gave me the stink eye.

Best game I ever saw in the Dome was Navy and David Robinson vs ‘Cuse w the Pearl and Rony Seikaly on St Patrick’s Day in 1986. It was an NCAA tourney game. Most dominant performance by a player on both ends of the court I have ever seen as Robinson took Seikaly to the shed for a beating. Navy won.

Great stories! Thanks for sharing.

You really were there for the best years of Big East basketball, where many of those players became household names for playing 4 years.

Thx.

I saw Navy (without Robinson, much later) play in the NCAA tournament once. They had the coolest cheer, when all the students in their uniforms stand and yeah, "Goooo mighty Navy, go go, go Navy" - In all my years going to the NCAA tourny, that one is the one that really still sends chills down the spine. Unfortunately, as I said, this was well after Robinson, they were a 16 seed, and were not very "mighty" that day. But, that's okay, within the next few years, those players were driving nuclear-armed subs, and carriers. They went "pro" in different areas.