PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Home Courts in College Hoops

kitzbuel
08-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Gonzaga is number three in this list.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-08-14/these-are-toughest-home-courts-college-basketball

It mentions that GU gets a very low home court advantage boost because we win so many road games.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Vanzagger
08-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Very cool. Although I was under the impression it went Kennel Club, Utah State, and everyone else miles behind

Reborn
08-20-2018, 11:07 AM
BYU is #6. I think it's pretty awesome to have two teams in the WCC who are in the top 10 of hardest arena to play in. Thanks Kennel Club. YOU ARE GREAT.

Go Zags!!!

gozagswoohoo
08-20-2018, 12:17 PM
BYU is #6. I think it's pretty awesome to have two teams in the WCC who are in the top 10 of hardest arena to play in. Thanks Kennel Club. YOU ARE GREAT.

Go Zags!!!

Yes

MDABE80
08-20-2018, 12:24 PM
BYU pic shows how massive that place is. Kentucky too. HUGE places . Hard to play in I'd guess.

former1dog
08-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Go Zags!!!

Although I wouldn't disagree with BYU as being a tough place to play, its a little different in my opinion than some of the other venues.

The fan base is loud of course, but they are much more beligerent towards the other team and fanbase during the game than any other place I've been to to see a game.

kitzbuel
08-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Although I wouldn't disagree with BYU as being a tough place to play, its a little different in my opinion than some of the other venues.

The fan base is loud of course, but they are much more beligerent towards the other team and fanbase during the game than any other place I've been to to see a game.

They get a 35.56 percent winning percentage bump by playing at home compared with GU's 15%. That small of a home court bump combined with the 3rd highest home court win percentage means GU has been a really good road team. BYU has been in the same WCC conference for the bulk of this century, so they are a really good comparison.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-20-2018, 01:30 PM
South Dakota State is one of just two teams in this list that doesn't hail from a Power 5 conference.

Is Arizona the other one?

zagamatic
08-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Ironically, BYU and the Zags hurt each others home winning %. I can't help but wonder what the percentages would be if we weren't in the same conference?

JAGzag
08-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Is Arizona the other one?

Well played.

jake
08-21-2018, 09:35 AM
KenPom looked at this earlier this year, and when he looked at betting market derived rankings, Gonzaga was ranked middle of the road. He has some interesting discussion on how the betting market rankings have Hawaii #1, but in KenPom's home court rankings for every team, Hawaii was ranked pretty low (to see his specific rankings you need to be a subscriber, which I am not). However, the other points he made were 1) it's very difficult to measure home court advantage on a team-by-team level and 2) there is little difference between the best and worst home courts. Basically he concluded that any special advantage a team has at home is a small factor.

https://kenpom.com/blog/mining-point-spread-data-home-court-advantage/

DixieZag
08-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Kudos to the people who compiled the list for taking 3 teams outside the traditional power 6.

Boo for selecting a picture of the Kennel that is about the least intimidating picture one could find, it looks half empty and Kennel Club looks like it is sitting down.

Great find!

Great job Zags, to finish ahead of Michigan State and Arizona is pretty special.