View Full Version : Few Getting Some Recognition

Zagdawg
08-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Jeff Goodman

https://twitter.com/WatchStadium/status/1030507113397805057

ZagsGoZags
08-17-2018, 08:04 PM
let's appreciate our luck and be grateful for it
it isn't just his system, because some of our assistant coaches have gone elsewhere and not enjoyed the same level of success.
Few is one of the few coaches that virtually every BB talking head can't say enough good things about, with virtually never (at least I can't remember any) being attacked.

GoZags
08-17-2018, 08:15 PM
let's appreciate our luck and be grateful for it
it isn't just his system, because some of our assistant coaches have gone elsewhere and not enjoyed the same level of success.
Few is one of the few coaches that virtually every BB talking head can't say enough good things about, with virtually never (at least I can't remember any) being attacked.

I've told the story before and I'll tell it again. The night before the Illinois/Gonzaga game in Indianapolis ('04 Wooden Tradition) I was in the hotel elevator with John Wooden and his grandson. They'd just come from the event dinner and were headed to their room. Coach Wooden saw my Gonzaga hat and shirt and unsolicited said ... "Mark Few is a fine young man, and he's a heck of a basketball coach". That was awesome (despite being down 58-27 at halftime the next day). I was sitting directly behind the bench and saw up close Turiaf's leadership. He would NOT let the Zags give up, and they closed it to 17 by the end of the game.

TravelinZag
08-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Respect both Mr. Goodman and Coach Few, but they are wrong, or premature. “Should be in the HOF” would be more correct. Perhaps because there are more excellent coaches with exceptional records now, but the bar for coaches has been raised. Don’t think coaches will be named to the HOF without both being named COY and winning a national championship. You can debate whether or not those are appropriate criteria. For Mr. Few, it will be a mute point; he will win an NC.

gonzagafan62
08-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Respect both Mr. Goodman and Coach Few, but they are wrong, or premature. “Should be in the HOF” would be more correct. Perhaps because there are more excellent coaches with exceptional records now, but the bar for coaches has been raised. Don’t think coaches will be named to the HOF without both being named COY and winning a national championship. You can debate whether or not those are appropriate criteria. For Mr. Few, it will be a mute point; he will win an NC.

No. Wrong on many levels. Don’t need a natty when you’ve been to one and a tourney for 20+ years at a small school in Washington that many announcers frequently still mispronounce and don’t even know where you’re located. He’ll be in regardless

gonstu
08-20-2018, 01:23 PM
No. Wrong on many levels. Donít need a natty when youíve been to one and a tourney for 20+ years at a small school in Washington that many announcers frequently still mispronounce and donít even know where youíre located. Heíll be in regardless

Agreed. He's in.

MDABE80
08-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Doesn't coach Few have the best winning percentage in the country??

JPtheBeasta
08-20-2018, 01:43 PM
What do these people have in common?*
Ernie Banks
Charles Barkley
Elgin Baylor
Ty Cobb
Patrick Ewing
Carlton Fisk
Ken Griffey Jr.

*I think they all have this in common... I didn't independently verify...[Link (https://www.nbcsports.com/greatest-athletes-without-title)]

Ekrub
08-20-2018, 02:02 PM
No championships, hof? Could add Stockton to that.

JPtheBeasta
08-20-2018, 03:16 PM
No championships, hof? Could add Stockton to that.

Yeah. It shows the precedent that you don’t need a championship to be in the HOF, at least for non-coaches.

Ekrub
08-20-2018, 03:36 PM
In fews case, he built this at Gonzaga. Unprecedented. Championship or not, he is a Hofer. Cal, k, etc... All won ncs at established programs.

jazzdelmar
08-20-2018, 03:57 PM
GU is a one off miracle. And Few has been its principal steward. For more than wins and losses, conference titles and March madness victories Few should be and will be in the HOF.

zag944
08-22-2018, 07:12 AM
He should probably keep doing great things here for a long time, just in case.