PDA

View Full Version : Rui Hachimura, preseason all-american

VinnyZag
08-15-2018, 11:52 AM
According to Chris Dortch of the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook:

Chris Dortch@cdortch
3 mins ago
Announcing Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook's preseason All-America team. @ZagMBB @UNC_Basketball @BoilerBall @DukeMBB @BadgerMBB. Rui Hachimura, Luke Maye, Carsen Edwards, R.J. Barrett, Ethan Happ.

Zagdawg
08-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Congrats Rui!!

sittingon50
08-15-2018, 12:22 PM
I order Blue Ribbon every year.

This is great!

ZagaholicPodcast
08-16-2018, 05:34 AM
I order Blue Ribbon every year.

This is great!

Pabst, or the publication?

caldwellzag
08-16-2018, 06:06 AM
According to Chris Dortch of the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook:

Congrats Rui! That is huge for the Zags, the national exposure is going to be crazy this year.

sittingon50
08-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Pabst, or the publication?

The publication.

Pabst is too high end for me. I only drink what I can find in a carton.

Malastein
08-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Always much prefer the end of season all American status!

GoZags
08-17-2018, 05:01 AM
Always much prefer the end of season all American status!

What are you talking about?

I recall our WCC brethren in Moraga having a grand time celebrating their "pre-season" WCC championship last year.

Bogozags
08-17-2018, 05:28 AM

I recall our WCC brethren in Moraga having a grand time celebrating their "pre-season" WCC championship last year.

:000tens:

jazzdelmar
08-17-2018, 05:36 AM
First team?

gonstu
08-17-2018, 05:54 AM
First team?

That’s what I was wondering Jazz, we’ll isnt this supposed to be a weaker draft class than last or next year anyway...

ZagaholicPodcast
08-17-2018, 07:17 AM

Well, if the WCC stood for "Western California Conference", that prediction would have been prophetic...

TravelinZag
08-17-2018, 07:41 AM
Delighted for Rui. Congrats.

BUT, hate to see preseason top ratings for teams (Zags in top four, best in west) and individuals. Historically, Zags play better when they feel slighted and have something to prove.

Practice and play like there is work to be done (there is, i.e. familiar with system for newbies, working with new partners, gelling as a team, raising team mindset, on court leadership, etc).

Love the potential, but as others have pointed out, preseason is illusiary and means nothing. Results at the end of the season are real. One game at a time; REFUSE to lose, but learn from mistakes.

Go Zags

Reborn
08-17-2018, 11:31 AM

BUT, hate to see preseason top ratings for teams (Zags in top four, best in west) and individuals. Historically, Zags play better when they feel slighted and have something to prove.

Practice and play like there is work to be done (there is, i.e. familiar with system for newbies, working with new partners, gelling as a team, raising team mindset, on court leadership, etc).

Love the potential, but as others have pointed out, preseason is illusiary and means nothing. Results at the end of the season are real. One game at a time; REFUSE to lose, but learn from mistakes.

Go Zags

IMO, I don't think the preseason rankings means all that much to the team, and it certainly won't effect how hard they practice. There are going to be some real wars going on in the practices. The players will be fighting hard for starting positions as well as playing time off the bench. Honestly, I think because we are an elite team now practices will be even harder because there are now better players on the team. Every one of these players want to start, believe me; and they will all be playing really tough ball in practice. And those who won't start need to prove to the coaches that they deserve playing time.

And regarding needing to play with a chip on their shoulders in order to succeed, is really not true any more. The Zags are in a whole different altitude now than they were ten or even five years ago. Few et all are recruiting players who play to win ever single game. The are already motivated when they come into play at GU. They are winners, and they are talented and tough. And yet, they still need to be motivated to win and Few and staff are really good at getting their players motivated to play. Few IS A TOUGH COACH and so is Tommy.

I wouldn't worry about the team being ready to play in Maui.

Go Zagss!!!

Norwester
08-17-2018, 11:46 AM

Go Zags

I think this is a myth. The 2017 national championship game team, which played the best of any Gonzaga team in history, was projected by some prognosticators (i.e., Bilas, Katz) to be a Final Four caliber team before the season began. The days of slipping "under the radar" are over.

TexasZagFan
08-17-2018, 12:02 PM
IMO, I don't think the preseason rankings means all that much to the team, and it certainly won't effect how hard they practice. There are going to be some real wars going on in the practices. The players will be fighting hard for starting positions as well as playing time off the bench. Honestly, I think because we are an elite team now practices will be even harder because there are now better players on the team. Every one of these players want to start, believe me; and they will all be playing really tough ball in practice. And those who won't start need to prove to the coaches that they deserve playing time.

And regarding needing to play with a chip on their shoulders in order to succeed, is really not true any more. The Zags are in a whole different altitude now than they were ten or even five years ago. Few et all are recruiting players who play to win ever single game. The are already motivated when they come into play at GU. They are winners, and they are talented and tough. And yet, they still need to be motivated to win and Few and staff are really good at getting their players motivated to play. Few IS A TOUGH COACH and so is Tommy.

I wouldn't worry about the team being ready to play in Maui.

Go Zagss!!!

I think Coach Michaelson is tougher, and Donny Daniels is no slouch.

MDABE80
08-17-2018, 01:09 PM
I think we need to see the book to be certain. Just looking at what's released AND knowing the caliber of other player in other schools, I'm finding it a bit difficult to rank the players as AA first team. Why? because they aren't. No doubt we have good players but first team?? There must be more to the story. We have a FF TEAM no doubt....both this and next year. I do also think we have some AA's on the team. Rui keeps us in the news. That's important.

Compared to 20 years or even 10 years ago, our Zags are known as a serious bunch that likely will win. We are now perceived as a perennial top 10 or top 5 team that not only will play anyone, anywhere and anytime. It's beyond that now . The "little engine that could" is now likely to win those "anywhere, anyone" games. ( not counting Duke). I like it that most of us ( if not all) somehow feel ownership and a "part of" this history event that continues to evolve for the better. It's a story I've not seen before in athletics. In some ways it's a bit eerie when you're in the middle of history and know it. Who is allowed to do that? Like I said, it's all new to me.

50 years ago the games were populated with a few hundred in Kennedy Pavilion. You really didn't need a ticket to get in. Or buy one at the door easily and sit anywhere you wanted. After that, shoot a few beers and eventually go home. Well, obviously those days are gone. We're in the biggest league there is for college basketball....no matter the WCC, we go compete effective with everyone often on the biggest of stages. .....TV and all that. Big ticket. Couldn't be happier to be part of it.

Reborn
08-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Great insights, MDABE. I enjoyed reading it. Some of us have been around a long time for sure.

WRHUradio
08-17-2018, 02:34 PM
-Could Rui struggle with the attention of being named a multiple Preseason All-American, which he clearly will be among the 8-10 places that are national and known and do this.
This team is deep enough that Few will be able to play other people, its not like this is a 1-2 guy team where if one of those two doesnt play A+ vs great competition they have no chance. This program's strength has also been it's balance, they dont have to have Morrison v Michigan St type games or performances any more to win those, they have multiple guys that are capable.
-It's an added layer of attention versus Rui allowed to be able to EARN an All-American status by growing and producing into it. He has the whole trying to learn and adjust to playing probably more than 50% of his minutes at the 3 position anyway. All the general public will see is why is he not putting up numbers etc etc, when the answer is in he still may not know all the patterns instinctively offensively and the scheme defensively, and his numbers suffer. It's like getting a cold while at the hospital for something else!

Here's the good of this.....
-Always helps in recruiting, particularly with foreign players for GU, to be able to say look at Turiaf, Olynyk, Pangos, Harris, and look what we did with Rui and how raw he was, he's a preseason 1st Team All-American, this is close to 4 months of recruiting rhetoric that can be used to convince prospects and their camps about the program. The program didn't need it, but it's another superficial feather in the cap that adds to the "street cred" that some people around players may be swayed by.
-Rui on top of being humbled at the NBAPA players camp, will be in a situation where expectations be placed on him, either correctly or incorrectly, so his focus and effort will have to be pristine, and if and when it isn't, it will be noticed.
-guys will come after him, consciously and subconsciously to make a name for themselves
- Could Rui struggle handling these expectations? If so, maybe he comes back for 2019-20 highly motivated and thats the storyline

Markburn1
08-17-2018, 04:17 PM
I'd be surprised if Rui struggled at all. This coaching staff planned and executed his trajectory to perfection so far. This year is when their timeline said Rui was going to be ready to be a star. I don't doubt them.

TexasZagFan
08-17-2018, 05:02 PM
I'd be surprised if Rui struggled at all. This coaching staff planned and executed his trajectory to perfection so far. This year is when their timeline said Rui was going to be ready to be a star. I don't doubt them.

Rui won't struggle at all. He's been dealing with media overload, at least from his home country, from the time he set foot on campus two plus years ago.

GrizZAG
08-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Love that Rui and the Zags are getting some hype in media. There is some psychological impact on opponents when faced with a hyped player or team.

Reborn
08-17-2018, 08:02 PM
-Could Rui struggle with the attention of being named a multiple Preseason All-American, which he clearly will be among the 8-10 places that are national and known and do this.
This team is deep enough that Few will be able to play other people, its not like this is a 1-2 guy team where if one of those two doesnt play A+ vs great competition they have no chance. This program's strength has also been it's balance, they dont have to have Morrison v Michigan St type games or performances any more to win those, they have multiple guys that are capable.
-It's an added layer of attention versus Rui allowed to be able to EARN an All-American status by growing and producing into it. He has the whole trying to learn and adjust to playing probably more than 50% of his minutes at the 3 position anyway. All the general public will see is why is he not putting up numbers etc etc, when the answer is in he still may not know all the patterns instinctively offensively and the scheme defensively, and his numbers suffer. It's like getting a cold while at the hospital for something else!

Here's the good of this.....
-Always helps in recruiting, particularly with foreign players for GU, to be able to say look at Turiaf, Olynyk, Pangos, Harris, and look what we did with Rui and how raw he was, he's a preseason 1st Team All-American, this is close to 4 months of recruiting rhetoric that can be used to convince prospects and their camps about the program. The program didn't need it, but it's another superficial feather in the cap that adds to the "street cred" that some people around players may be swayed by.
-Rui on top of being humbled at the NBAPA players camp, will be in a situation where expectations be placed on him, either correctly or incorrectly, so his focus and effort will have to be pristine, and if and when it isn't, it will be noticed.
-guys will come after him, consciously and subconsciously to make a name for themselves
- Could Rui struggle handling these expectations? If so, maybe he comes back for 2019-20 highly motivated and thats the storyline

Speaking of "what ifs", what if Rui is 1st team All-American, averages 18 ppg and leads the Zags to the NCAA Championship?

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-18-2018, 03:09 AM
Pleased Rui is so highly regarded by many college hoops talking heads but skeptical as to whether or not he will be an AA player at end of season.

Rui only showed up in spurts most of last season before breaking out big time vs Ohio State in the tourney and playing w greater confidence and assertiveness in general during NCAA tourney. Big leap expecting him to be that assertive and confident night in and night out for entire season. IMHO, biggest key to him doing so is whether or not his teammates insist and encourage him to be the alpha for this team... he and the team need to buy into the belief that Rui must be dominant in order for the team to be its best. Is that even true though w so much talent on this roster?

Last year Zags in the tourney knew Rui had to shine if they were to advance. Love JWIII, Tillie and Melson but all were content to defer / prone to disappearing offensively. That Zags squad clearly and finally admitted they needed Rui to be their alpha, so that’s what OSU got.

What’s better, a ream of 5-8 “equals” all happy to defer and let a teammate shine on any given night OR a team with a clear and present alpha around which all the other talent rallies and plays off of? My heart says the former but my head says the latter.

DADoZAG
08-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Born and Norwester nailed the side bar.

Congrats Rui. Yes, you have that much potential!

You never need to force, but never doubt!

Go ZAGS!

mgadfly
08-18-2018, 06:32 AM
Rui only showed up in spurts most of last season before breaking out big time vs Ohio State in the tourney and playing w greater confidence and assertiveness in general during NCAA tourney. Big leap expecting him to be that assertive and confident night in and night out for entire season.

Rui scored in double figures in 19 of the last 25 games. That is 76%. He scored in double-figures in 2 of 3 NCAA games. The biggest difference was minutes played. He had 6 games of 25+ minutes in the first 33 games.

Nov. 26 vs Texas: 28 min. 20 p, 9 r, 2 a (KenPom's MVP)
Jan. 13 at San Fran: 26 min. 10 p, 8 r, 3 b, 1 s
Jan. 18 vs SMC: 30 min. 23 p (11-13 FG), 4 r, 1 a, 2 b
Feb. 3 vs BYU: 25 min. 15 p (6-9 FG), 3 r, 1 (KP MVP)
Feb. 10 at SMC: 28 min. 21 p (9-11), 4 r
Feb. 22 at USD: 27 min. 16 p, 8 r, 1 s

I think it is hard to say any player will be an All-American because there are realistically thirty or forty guys fighting for a few spots. But I don't see any evidence that Rui only showed up in spurts or that he wasn't assertive for an entire season already. He was number one in % of possessions usage for the Zags (tied with JW3) and #1 in % of shots taken while on the court last year. They eased him into the season a little bit but from Dec 21 on he was pretty consistent and dominant. There are a couple down games (12 minutes against Portland or the WCC championship against BYU) but mostly it was a brilliant season for someone who only played 51% of our minutes.

Reborn
08-18-2018, 06:46 AM
Regarding Rui, I think Coach Tommy said it best, (paraphrase). Rui will still be in a learning curve as a Sophomore and will be a star his Junior year. I think most of us believed that until we read some posts about his play at that camp with the top players in the USA. The post also said that he played great in the skills part of the workout, but had trouble when playing in 5 on 5 games. This makes sense to me. Rui has only been in the USA for two years, and I"m sure he is still learning the English language. I also believe that he is still uncomfortable to some extent here in the USA, and especially uncomfortable around players he doesn't know. I am sure he's very comfortable at GU, and now understands all of the offensive and defensive sets, and philosophies. But I could see that when he goes to a basketball camp with strangers that he would struggle. I believe what Tommy said, Rui's going to be a star this year.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Regarding Rui, I think Coach Tommy said it best, (paraphrase). Rui will still be in a learning curve as a Sophomore and will be a star his Junior year. I think most of us believed that until we read some posts about his play at that camp with the top players in the USA. The post also said that he played great in the skills part of the workout, but had trouble when playing in 5 on 5 games. This makes sense to me. Rui has only been in the USA for two years, and I"m sure he is still learning the English language. I also believe that he is still uncomfortable to some extent here in the USA, and especially uncomfortable around players he doesn't know. I am sure he's very comfortable at GU, and now understands all of the offensive and defensive sets, and philosophies. But I could see that when he goes to a basketball camp with strangers that he would struggle. I believe what Tommy said, Rui's going to be a star this year.

Not to mention it's not exactly a team-based challenge (5-on-5). It was probably a bunch of ball dominance and ISO's. You don't always learn a great deal about players in those settings. Even in the NBA you have to have cohesion, a sense for your individual shot and spacing within the grander scheme of the offense, and efficiency. People have to remember that he won't be drafted based on whether or not he's a finished product. When scouts look at him, the one that takes him will be hoping for a poor-man's Greek Freak. As long as he doesn't damage the perception of that potential, he's going in the lottery. That 5-on-5 means nothing. As you noted, he did the dang thing in the skills portion.

bballbeachbum
08-18-2018, 07:06 AM

+1

jazzdelmar
08-18-2018, 07:55 AM
What am I missing? It's a bad thing for Rui to be AA? Please, someone.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Rui scored in double figures in 19 of the last 25 games. That is 76%. He scored in double-figures in 2 of 3 NCAA games. The biggest difference was minutes played. He had 6 games of 25+ minutes in the first 33 games.

Nov. 26 vs Texas: 28 min. 20 p, 9 r, 2 a (KenPom's MVP)
Jan. 13 at San Fran: 26 min. 10 p, 8 r, 3 b, 1 s
Jan. 18 vs SMC: 30 min. 23 p (11-13 FG), 4 r, 1 a, 2 b
Feb. 3 vs BYU: 25 min. 15 p (6-9 FG), 3 r, 1 (KP MVP)
Feb. 10 at SMC: 28 min. 21 p (9-11), 4 r
Feb. 22 at USD: 27 min. 16 p, 8 r, 1 s

I think it is hard to say any player will be an All-American because there are realistically thirty or forty guys fighting for a few spots. But I don't see any evidence that Rui only showed up in spurts or that he wasn't assertive for an entire season already. He was number one in % of possessions usage for the Zags (tied with JW3) and #1 in % of shots taken while on the court last year. They eased him into the season a little bit but from Dec 21 on he was pretty consistent and dominant. There are a couple down games (12 minutes against Portland or the WCC championship against BYU) but mostly it was a brilliant season for someone who only played 51% of our minutes.

Great stuff mgadfly! I stand emphatically corrected on false narrative that Rui only stood up and shined in NCAA. Thanks for compilimg those stats. Weird cause my perception is that that is what happened but your post proves otherwise. Seriously, thank you.

Jazz, I for one am not suggesting Rui earning postseason AA honors would be a bad thing.

jazzdelmar
08-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Great stuff mgadfly! I stand emphatically corrected on false narrative that Rui only stood up and shined in NCAA. Thanks for compilimg those stats. Weird cause my perception is that that is what happened but your post proves otherwise. Seriously, thank you.

Jazz, I for one am not suggesting Rui earning postseason AA honors would be a bad thing.

Flex, fair enough. But it’s perplexing that there seem to be an equal number of boarders who suggest it’s some kind of jinx and those who seem to suggest he’s undeserving or at least prematurely deserving. These are totally subjective rankings based as much on talent as the coach, the program, conference affiliation, network coverage and individual profile. Hence, just enjoy the notoriety.

maynard g krebs
08-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Really insightful post imo. Rui's development curve is different from the Americans and top Euros just because Japan isn't a basketball country, and I'd guess Rui grew up playing a lot of iso one on one simply because nobody in Japan could guard him.

There's a Japanese guy at my gym, probably late 20's, that I'm friendly with and we've talked a few times. Been in the US 4 or 5 years working in import/export. Around 6'2, pretty good athlete, played college ball in Japan and is pretty average, maybe a shade above, playing at 24 Hr Fitness in pickup games. And he's probably a good example of Rui's HS competition.

I agree that Rui is ready to break out. The only thing is that there are 5 or 6 other really talented scorers w/ experience, and the balance on this team makes it unlikely that anybody puts up huge numbers every night. I'd bet 7 guys have a 20+ point game this season.

Malastein
08-18-2018, 01:47 PM
I’m saying it is neither a jinx nor unearned, but rather calling it rather meaningless at this point in time. It’s being told you’ll get a car when you turn 16 if you mow the lawn every week, but you still have a year of waiting and work. Hopefully, he becomes the Star we all want and earns the real awards. Fake preseason prognostications about awards are like promising someone a car but knowing you won’t be able to deliver on that promise. I’m hoping Rui lives up to the hype and brings us back to the championship game!!!

MDABE80
08-18-2018, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1397374]What am I missing? It's a bad thing for Rui to be AA? Please, someone.[ /QUOTE]
Nope all good. Hope we keep him for his 4th year. Huge influence on the march to another FF. 2 Titles back to back is always good idea.

TravelinZag
08-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Don’t know whether every player wants to start. Collins certainly proved that’s not necessary, for the team or himself. Every player should want to be on the court when the game is on the line. He did. Seldom, if ever, is a game decided in the first five minutes of play.

jazzdelmar
08-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Don’t know whether every player wants to start. Collins certainly proved that’s not necessary, for the team or himself. Every player should want to be on the court when the game is on the line. He did. Seldom, if ever, is a game decided in the first five minutes of play.

But he should have started.

tenniszag
08-19-2018, 10:17 AM

He averaged almost 3 fouls per game in only 17 minutes played. Coming off the bench and being available for crunch time, which he was always on the floor for, was the right move.

TravelinZag
08-19-2018, 10:30 AM
He averaged almost 3 fouls per game in only 17 minutes played. Coming off the bench and being available for crunch time, which he was always on the floor for, was the right move.

+1

ZigZagger
08-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Let's take that premise:
What are the chances the Zags have a better season had he started? Given that they went to the Championship, a game in which Collins fouled out, the odds that the team would have 'done better' with Collins starting is close to 0%.
What are the chances the Zags have a worse season had he started? Can't say for sure, but introducing uncertainty by definition lowers probability. So there is a greater likelihood that they underperform with him starting than not.

So I'm not sure how you can say it was the wrong choice to not start him.

NotoriousZ
08-19-2018, 11:33 AM
One great thing about Collins coming off the bench was the boost it gave the team. Same with Rui last year. When your “sub” comes in and everyone, including the other team, knows that your team on the floor just got a whole lot better it’s a huge advantage. When Tillie got hurt for the Florida State game and we started Rui, we needed that boost off the bench.

Maybe that roll goes to Clarke this season. Or Petrusev. Or Kispert.

jazzdelmar
08-19-2018, 01:01 PM

He was the best player on the team for the last third of the season and post season. No more or less reason than that.

MDABE80
08-19-2018, 03:26 PM
He was the best player on the team for the last third of the season and post season. No more or less reason than that.
Better than Nigel?? E Gads!!!

GoZags
08-19-2018, 06:00 PM

Bench the winner of the 2017 Kareem Abdul Jabbar Award? (you know, the Award for the top center in all of NCAA D1 basketball)? That's out of the 351 schools that play NCAA D1 hoops. You'd have benched him and started Collins instead?

LTownZag
08-19-2018, 06:11 PM

J3 was the best player on the floor against Xavier, in the game to get us to our first Final 4. He also won the MVP for that quadrant of March Madness.

TexasZagFan
08-19-2018, 06:50 PM
J3 was the best player on the floor against Xavier, in the game to get us to our first Final 4. He also won the MVP for that quadrant of March Madness.

That was the beauty of the 2016-2017 team, the fact that any one of 7 or 8 players could make game winning plays. This year's team IMO has the same capability.