PDA

View Full Version : Share 2 or 3 questions you have about the '18-'19 Zags.

Reborn
08-15-2018, 10:43 AM
You can also answer any of the other questions that other posters have posted.

1. Is Rui going to start at the 3 posiiton, and will also share minutes at the 4?

2. How many minutes is Kispert going to play? Will he also play the 4 or the 2?

3. Who will start at the 4 and the 5, and who will be the first 4 or 5 off the bench.

Go Zags!!!

EEzag
08-15-2018, 10:54 AM
You can also answer and of the other questions that other posters have posted.

1. Is Rui going to start at the 3 posiiton, and will also share minutes at the 4?

2. How many minutes is Kispert going to play? Will he also play the 4 or the 2?

3. Who will start at the 4 and the 5, and who will be the first 4 or 5 off the bench.

Go Zags!!!

1. Who handles the point in close games with tough opponents?

2. Will Few do a hand-stand after we win the Maui?

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Great thread topic!

1) (Similar to Reborn’s): Does Rui play more minutes at the 3 or 4?
2) Will we see confident Villanova Larsen earn meaningful pt or the less confident (less healthy?) Larsen playing mop up minutes only?
3) Does Kispert, who we hyped all last summer but have rarely mentioned this summer, make a leap and become a big time player for these Zags?

NotoriousZ
08-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Great thread topic!

2) Will we see confident Villanova Larsen earn meaningful pt or the less confident (less healthy?) Larsen playing mop up minutes only?
3) Does Kispert, who we hyped all last summer but have rarely mentioned this summer, make a leap and become a big time player for these Zags?

Agree, great thead Reborn—it’s been crickets around here lately.

How good will Kispert be this year is one of my questions also...but I think it’s going to be a huge season for him.

My other question is how big of a role Petrusev plays.

TexasZagFan
08-15-2018, 12:52 PM

#2: Few will do a hula instead of a handstand .

#1: Josh, unless he fouled out.

Bogozags
08-15-2018, 01:58 PM
You can also answer and of the other questions that other posters have posted.

1. Is Rui going to start at the 3 positon, and will also share minutes at the 4? Does Rui play more minutes at the 3 or 4?

2. How many minutes is Kispert going to play and will he also play the 4 or the 2?

3. Does Kispert, who we hyped all last summer but have rarely mentioned this summer, make a leap and become a big time player for these Zags?

4. Who will start at the 4 and the 5, and who will be the first 4 or 5 off the bench?

5. Will we see confident Villanova Larsen earn meaningful pt or the less confident (less healthy?) Larsen playing mop up minutes only?

6. Who handles the point in close games with tough opponents?

7. How big of a role Petrusev plays?

8. What can Geno bring to the table and will he start or come off the bench?

Go Zags!!!

Reborn, I hope you don't mind but added other questions from this thread...

Answers...

1. I believe Rui starts at the SF and dominates everyone he plays against...I think he will slip over to the PF as we look to pick-up pace/press/relieve Tillie & Filip...

2. I think he is going to play circa =/- 20 minutes per game. Depending on who we are playing, he might see time at the 2 or 4 depending on what the team may need at the time...he is one of our best OR'ers and shooters. IMO he is a solid SF...

3. I think he will make an incredible leap and force Snacks to up his game or relinquish P/T.

4. Tillie will start at the PF and Clarke at the C but they might well be interchangeable if Clarke can shoot the "3". I think Larsen will be the first off the bench at the C and Filip will get more P/T at the PF as his passing skills will shine when playing either the PF or C.

5. I don't know exactly why nor have I read anything concrete on why he lost P/T BUT if he isn't injured then I think he'll get some quality minutes as he has displayed his ability last season against the country's best team.

6. Josh, when he is on the floor, will be the PG with Geno, Snacks and Joel getting time but he is a "Five Year Man" and has the most experience at that position...

7. We have read that Filip will get limited time and then there are those (me and a few others) that feel he will come of the bench and provide quality minutes...he is an excellent HS player, with great fundamentals and his feet, well he ranks with our best freshman...his minutes will be determined by how well he can sustain himself against D1 bigs that might be either bigger, stronger, quicker and excellent rebounders...Filip is really an intelligent basketball player and he will pick-up Few's systems quickly. I believe "IF" he is the hard worker he appears to be and hits the weight room, he might only play here for two years at most three...

8. Geno is in my opinion the key to our season. If he is able to provide the needed "punch" on both ends of the court, then it will be extremely difficult to guard all five of our back court players (Rui, Josh, Snacks, Geno, and Krispert as their skill set is IMO off the charts...Geno, Snacks, Rui and Krispert are very good rebounders and that will force opponents to ensure they stay with these players all the time...turn a head here of there and their quickness will become a coaches nightmare AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, these five players are all smart and experienced...

Well, we are all opinionated so not doubt there will be those that have other opinions that will just be completely WRONG! Kidding of course...

DixieZag
08-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Agree, great thead Reborn—it’s been crickets around here lately.

How good will Kispert be this year is one of my questions also...but I think it’s going to be a huge season for him.

My other question is how big of a role Petrusev plays.

How big a role Petrusev plays is my biggest question.

There are some indications that he is just too good to not have on the floor a great deal, trouble is he can't get there without sitting a Tillie, Clarke, Rui, Norvelle, and everyone else. That will be an interesting dynamic - he'd have to be really really good to put on the floor in important minutes over Tillie, Clark and Rui.

But, maybe he is good enough.

Should be every reason for Tillie to guard against inconsistency this year bc there will be options if he's not playing at full speed.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-15-2018, 02:19 PM
1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?

3. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-15-2018, 02:20 PM
1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?

Sorry. Had to do it.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1362350199_the-bridge-of-death-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail.jpg

1. Can this deep and talented group of individual athletes learn to play relentless team defense?

2. Can they stay healthy?

3. Can they protect the ball from turnovers on offense?

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-15-2018, 02:26 PM
..Geno, Snacks, Rui and Krispert are very good rebounders and that will force opponents to ensure they stay with these players all the time...turn a head here of there and their quickness will become a coaches nightmare AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, these five players are all smart and experienced...

Good stuff Bogozags. Only point I disagree with is your reference to our guards’ quickness. Perimeter quickness is a likely weakness for these Zags imho as I don’t consider Perkins, Norvell or Kispert to be quick at all. They will struggle to stay in front of many guards. Not sure about Crandall. Ayayi likely our best perimeter defender?

Hoopaholic
08-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Good stuff Bogozags. Only point I disagree with is your reference to our guards’ quickness. Perimeter quickness is a likely weakness for these Zags imho as I don’t consider Perkins, Norvell or Kispert to be quick at all. They will struggle to stay in front of many guards. Not sure about Crandall. Ayayi likely our best perimeter defender?
Interesting opinion
I whole heartedly disagree with it
Guess we shall see

Hoopaholic
08-15-2018, 04:41 PM
1. Will we be able to defend paint consistently enough to allow heavy perimeter pressure
2. Can support members take valuable steps to provide solid minutes
3 can Crandall grasp our concepts enough to play consistently in court with perkins

LTownZag
08-15-2018, 04:54 PM
1. Can we finally inbound the ball?

2. Can we manage some decent set plays for end of clock possessions?

3. Can me manage to not collapse against full court press?

4. Will players with immediate professional aspirations (basically the whole team) put aside individual stats when in the interest of the team?

GoZags
08-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Although this isn't the annual "Bold" prediction thread ... I'll make the call that before all is said and done, Corey Kispert is Gonzaga's next member of the Bill Walton "Double/Double" club ... although I'm not as confident of being 1st Team (Top 5) AA as I am of him being 1st Team (Top 5) Academic AA. I DO believe before he's done he'll make somebody's AA hoops squad (possibly 2nd team AA or 3rd team AA).

It's my belief that this guy will leave his mark on Gonzaga basketball.

Zagger
08-16-2018, 02:59 AM
1. Who's going to get more game time, Geno Crandall or Joel AyAyi?
2. Who's going to get more game time, Brandon Clarke or Rui Hachimura?
3. Who's going to get more game time, Jacob Larsen or Filip Petrusev?

Guess my questions really won't be answered until we see a few games (excepting #2). I also wonder about Perkins and Norvell. Will Josh be healed up well enough to put in 30+ mins? I really like how Zach improved/matured last season and anticipate he may very well have a breakout 18-19 season. Will Crandall or Ayayi see any point guard time? Now I'm tossing out more questions! I'll stick to the above three.

caldwellzag
08-16-2018, 06:13 AM
1) Biggest question right now is does anyone know if Geno has finished all his course work need to be a grad transfer? (I assume the answer is yes, but have not heard anything on that)

2) How deep will we be this year? Does Few give meaningful playing time to 10-11 players or are the top 7 going to take the all the meaningful minutes?

3) Who is our leading scorer? Rebounder?

4) How much does Filip play as a freshman with the talent we have?

TheGonzagaFactor
08-16-2018, 07:06 AM

Is #1 a serious question?

Bogozags
08-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Is #1 a serious question?

I'm more concerned with #2 as I heard that Coach Few sprained his right wrist reeling in some big fish, while fly-fishing, so in that case his wrist may not be strong enough to hold his weight in a hand stand!

Reborn
08-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Wow! So many great questions, and most are unable for me to answer right now. One reason that is true for me is that there are so many very good players this year. And many of them can play multiple positions. I believe Petrusev will come off the bench and contribute the way Collins did. I really like him a lot. Regarding Larsen, I also think he will play but will not play a lot. My guess his role will be a lot like the role Tillie played his freshman year.

The 3 spot is the most challenging position to figure out for me. There are 3 really great players who will be playing there this season: Rui, Kispert, and Norvell. Honestly, I can't tell whose going to start, nor how many minutes each will get at that position.

At the guard positions we have Perkins, Norvell, Geno and Ayayi. Because right now the Zags look weak on defense, Ayayi could certainly get minutes. He is also the answer to lack of speed. He shoots much better than I thought he could (he had some great shooting games in the FIBA tournament). Maybe he could be the biggest surprise of them all? This is Josh's last year, and honestly, I believe he's going to have a great year. I believe strongly that if Tillie hadn't gotten hurt and couldn't play against Florida St that the Zags would definitely have beaten them. The team didn't look like the team they had become at the end of the season. And I thought Josh did a really good job in the NCAA Tournament. IMO, Josh will be running this team, and will be in at the end of the game.

I am beginning to wonder about the defense at the 3 spot. It concerns me today. KIspert certainly had trouble playing D last year. Rui hasn't played much at the 3 and I wonder if will be able to defend the quickness and talent of opposing players at that position. Players at that position are sometimes the best players on their team. I'm thinking of two questions: Will Few go to a zone defense more this year because of this? And second, will Ayayi play at the 3? In ways I see him like I saw Melson. Melson was the key to the Zags success on D, because he could guard those talented players at the 3. We haven't talked to much about Melson's loss, nor have we talked much about the overall defense of our team this year.

Go Zags!!!

Robzagnut
08-16-2018, 08:20 AM
1. Once coach Few reduces his rotation down to seven (like he does every year), who will be those final seven?

2. Who is the one team that GU doesn't want to see in the Sweet 16 game?

3. If you could bring back one former GU coach to be Few's main assistant behind Tommy, who would you choose?

LTownZag
08-16-2018, 10:33 AM
1. Once coach Few reduces his rotation down to seven (like he does every year), who will be those final seven?

Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert

tinfoilzag
08-16-2018, 12:40 PM
1. When will Josh be 100%?
2. Can we play good defense without fouling?
3. Can we find enough chemistry early to win very difficult games?

LouisianaZag
08-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert
I agree L Zag Town. I am hoping to see a dual sub again with Larson and Petrusev but the depth of this team may not allow it.

Reborn
08-18-2018, 06:21 AM
1. Who's going to get more game time, Geno Crandall or Joel AyAyi?
2. Who's going to get more game time, Brandon Clarke or Rui Hachimura?
3. Who's going to get more game time, Jacob Larsen or Filip Petrusev?

Guess my questions really won't be answered until we see a few games (excepting #2). I also wonder about Perkins and Norvell. Will Josh be healed up well enough to put in 30+ mins? I really like how Zach improved/matured last season and anticipate he may very well have a breakout 18-19 season. Will Crandall or Ayayi see any point guard time? Now I'm tossing out more questions! I'll stick to the above three.

I think that Hachimura will get more playing time. And I believe Petrusev will play more than Larsen. Geno will get more time than Ayayi.

Reborn
08-18-2018, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=Robzagnut;1397199]1. Once coach Few reduces his rotation down to seven (like he does every year), who will be those final seven?

2. Who is the one team that GU doesn't want to see in the Sweet 16 game?

3. If you could bring back one former GU coach to be Few's main assistant behind Tommy, who would you choose?[

These are some tough questions. Thanks. Here's a shot at the top 8: Rui, Perks, Norvell, Clarke, Tillie, Geno, Kispert and Petrusev. I think Few will have an 8 man rotation. I have read he is considering playing more guys this year. I think the one team that Few doesn't want to play in the Sweet 16 would be West Virginia. The other would be Florida St.

bballbeachbum
08-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Great thread topic!

That's what I'm wondering too; how's the knee, is he healthy?

Hogan
08-18-2018, 08:03 AM
A big question/concern for me is how will we replace the loss our two "tough guys", Silas and J3. The current team has great skill, but a lot of finesse players and nice guys.

MontanaCoyote
08-18-2018, 09:01 AM
How big a role Petrusev plays is my biggest question.

There are some indications that he is just too good to not have on the floor a great deal, trouble is he can't get there without sitting a Tillie, Clarke, Rui, Norvelle, and everyone else. That will be an interesting dynamic - he'd have to be really really good to put on the floor in important minutes over Tillie, Clark and Rui.

But, maybe he is good enough.

Should be every reason for Tillie to guard against inconsistency this year bc there will be options if he's not playing at full speed.

Having Petrusev and I hope Larson come in for some productive minutes would get us closer to what FLA State did to us at the dance. Man, guys just kept coming in and laid hurt on us with points, rebounds and blocks.

MontanaCoyote
08-18-2018, 09:23 AM
A big question/concern for me is how will we replace the loss our two "tough guys", Silas and J3. The current team has great skill, but a lot of finesse players and nice guys.

I think Kispert for sure. I also think ZK (Chicago) can play tough guy.

NotoriousZ
08-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Josh is underrated as a defender, he is more than capable in covering the perimeter. Norvell is even faster, but his defense did lapse at times last season. I think he’ll be better this year. The great thing about those two is that they’re great rebounders and they will also force a lot of turnovers. I don’t know about Geno’s defense, but I suspect it’s good enough and could be a pleasant surprise.

Kispert, who could have a monster year, might be better off switching defensive coverages with Rui from time to time. I know Rui’s a great rebounder and we would prefer him not to have to cover the perimeter, but Kispert has the size to handle most of the power forwards at the college level, and I just think Rui would do a better job covering the quicker guys.

MileHigh
08-18-2018, 09:54 AM
1) Biggest question right now is does anyone know if Geno has finished all his course work need to be a grad transfer?

I think for the staff right now this is the #1 question.....as of last week not a done deal yet

ZagaholicPodcast
08-18-2018, 02:13 PM
This board is really slipping. The real question. The ultimate question...is this:

When tacos? You're welcome.

DixieZag
08-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Although this isn't the annual "Bold" prediction thread ... I'll make the call that before all is said and done, Corey Kispert is Gonzaga's next member of the Bill Walton "Double/Double" club ... although I'm not as confident of being 1st Team (Top 5) AA as I am of him being 1st Team (Top 5) Academic AA. I DO believe before he's done he'll make somebody's AA hoops squad (possibly 2nd team AA or 3rd team AA).

It's my belief that this guy will leave his mark on Gonzaga basketball.

About 2 weeks away, traditionally first week of college football season/school.

You've got a good one - I like it.

Mantua
08-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Which players are going to break out and surprise us?

tyra
08-19-2018, 06:24 AM
1) How much of a contribution (and playing time) will Petrusev, Larsen, and Ayayi make?
2) Will Coach expand the rotation this year or stick to his usual 7 or 8?

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-19-2018, 07:39 AM
I think for the staff right now this is the #1 question.....as of last week not a done deal yet

Wow, this is a surprise to learn Crandall’s summer coursework and consequent graduation are not yet official. Seems pretty late. Summer session grades were due August 7th:

http://https://und.edu/academics/registrar/_files/docs/calendars/und-academic-calendar-2017-2018.pdf (https://und.edu/academics/registrar/_files/docs/calendars/und-academic-calendar-2017-2018.pdf)

NotoriousZ
08-19-2018, 07:45 AM
1) How much of a contribution (and playing time) will Petrusev, Larsen, and Ayayi make?
2) Will Coach expand the rotation this year or stick to his usual 7 or 8?

I don’t see Few going that deep in the rotation for big games. But I do think it will be a solid 8 this season. I’m getting more excited with Petrusev. Having an extra big in the lineup probably means we’ll see Rui splitting his time between the three and four spots.

Pure speculation of course, but Petrusev looks like he could fit right in now.

Reborn
08-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Josh is underrated as a defender, he is more than capable in covering the perimeter. Norvell is even faster, but his defense did lapse at times last season. I think he’ll be better this year. The great thing about those two is that they’re great rebounders and they will also force a lot of turnovers. I don’t know about Geno’s defense, but I suspect it’s good enough and could be a pleasant surprise.

Kispert, who could have a monster year, might be better off switching defensive coverages with Rui from time to time. I know Rui’s a great rebounder and we would prefer him not to have to cover the perimeter, but Kispert has the size to handle most of the power forwards at the college level, and I just think Rui would do a better job covering the quicker guys.

If Norvell is rated the 13th best player in men's college basketball, think how good Kispert is. Kispert actually beat out Norvell until he got injured. There is just so much talent on this team. To know how good Kispert is just gives me so much confidence in this team. To have a guy coming off the bench who's this talented is just awesome. Who knows what's going to happen this year? Maybe Rui will start at the 4, Norvell at the two and Kispert at the three. However, if Few needs tougher defensive players, Ayayi could start. Wow!

Go Zags!!!

TravelinZag
08-19-2018, 09:29 AM
1. Will they gel and develop chemistry?

2. Will they play aggressive defense (impossible without committing an occasional foul, every player should have at least one every game).

3. Will the rotation expand to become situational? Believe three combinations should play at least five minutes every game: a. Best “big” team, b. Best quick team, and c. Best defensive team.

Allowing for overlaps should involve perhaps 10 players, and prepare the Zags for any necessary situational rotation.

Go Zags! Lose no more than one game (lots of things can happen).

Bogozags
08-20-2018, 05:33 AM
I don’t see Few going that deep in the rotation for big games. But I do think it will be a solid 8 this season. I’m getting more excited with Petrusev. Having an extra big in the lineup probably means we’ll see Rui splitting his time between the three and four spots.

Pure speculation of course, but Petrusev looks like he could fit right in now.

This is not Coach Few’s “typical” team where he only has 7-8 players that can play...IF Larsen, Filip, Joel and Jones all progress as hoped, then Coach Few could well have tremendous depth the likes he has never before had. IF the team is ten deep and he has the confidence in those ten then I believe he will play them. The kind of depth he has this season is what makes GU stand above all other teams...KU is the only other team of which I’m aware that also has extraordinary depth.

Reborn
08-20-2018, 07:27 AM
I think the most important thing to Mark Few is winning. For example, I would not expect him to go ten deep in Maui. I expect him to go 8 deep: Rui, Perks, Norvell,Tillie, Kispert, Clarke, Geno, and Petrusive. I'm thinking the starters will be Perkins, Norvell, Kispert, Rui and Tillie. All of these guys played and contributed a lot last year. And four of them started. Yes. I expect Rui to play the 4 in Maui. These guys will have good chemistry because they played together last year, and they know how to run Few's offenses and defenses.

thespywhozaggedme
08-20-2018, 08:15 AM

I think we will be good there. I think Gino, Zach and Corey all play with a bit of an edge.

Worthington
08-20-2018, 08:18 AM
What is the starting 5 going to be?

The easiest answer is probably Perkins, Norvell, Rui, Tillie, and Clarke, but this would not be a typical Mark Few lineup. Rui is obviously ultra talented but I still believe he's better suited as a power forward at this stage.

I feel like either Crandall or Kispert have a chance to break into the starting lineup. Could easily argue that the spacing, shooting, and maybe even ball movement would be better with one of them. Don't bite my head off because I know many expect him to be our best player next season, but I could see a scenario where Few elects to bring Rui off of the bench as a super 6th man, match up nightmare, and start Kispert in his place. Still think Rui plays starter minutes, but the unit cohesion may be better with this rotation in my opinion. Both Rui and Geno Crandall strike me as excellent transition, high octane players who could complement each other really well. Having those two as the one, two off the bench could be an excellent combo. Just my two cents

DixieZag
08-20-2018, 02:38 PM
What is the starting 5 going to be?

The easiest answer is probably Perkins, Norvell, Rui, Tillie, and Clarke, but this would not be a typical Mark Few lineup. Rui is obviously ultra talented but I still believe he's better suited as a power forward at this stage.

I feel like either Crandall or Kispert have a chance to break into the starting lineup. Could easily argue that the spacing, shooting, and maybe even ball movement would be better with one of them. Don't bite my head off because I know many expect him to be our best player next season, but I could see a scenario where Few elects to bring Rui off of the bench as a super 6th man, match up nightmare, and start Kispert in his place. Still think Rui plays starter minutes, but the unit cohesion may be better with this rotation in my opinion. Both Rui and Geno Crandall strike me as excellent transition, high octane players who could complement each other really well. Having those two as the one, two off the bench could be an excellent combo. Just my two cents

No one should get their head bitten off for giving a well-informed, non-inflammatory opinion.

Your argument re; Rui coming off the bench as the 6th man of the century to me makes more sense if cast with Tillie - who is the one who has struggled with consistency.

Reborn notes that Few will want players who have played in the system (and comfortable with it) starting in Maui. I would consider Clarke one of those players, even though he didn't see the playing floor last year, he saw the practice floor with these guys and certainly now understands the system.

There is no obvious starting line-up. Arguments can be made for many different legitimate alternatives. But, I consider Clarke as a redshirt Junior just as "seasoned" in the Gonzaga system as Kispert - now a soph with one injury plagued season under his belt.

No wrong answers at this point, not with practices not even having started yet, and still more than 6 weeks away.

Reborn
08-20-2018, 03:37 PM
No one should get their head bitten off for giving a well-informed, non-inflammatory opinion.

Your argument re; Rui coming off the bench as the 6th man of the century to me makes more sense if cast with Tillie - who is the one who has struggled with consistency.

Reborn notes that Few will want players who have played in the system (and comfortable with it) starting in Maui. I would consider Clarke one of those players, even though he didn't see the playing floor last year, he saw the practice floor with these guys and certainly now understands the system.

There is no obvious starting line-up. Arguments can be made for many different legitimate alternatives. But, I consider Clarke as a redshirt Junior just as "seasoned" in the Gonzaga system as Kispert - now a soph with one injury plagued season under his belt.

No wrong answers at this point, not with practices not even having started yet, and still more than 6 weeks away.

Your ideas about Clarke certainly also make sense, whereas Rui coming off the bench makes no sense to me. Why would an All-American kind of player come off the bench? For me, it makes sense that Rui will get the most minutes, or maybe the same kind of minutes as Norvell. These two guys will be our top two scorers. In the latest top 50 that we saw posted here, Smacks was Ranked 13 in the Nation. I was so proud of him for that; and I believe he can prove that kind of rank. Usually I'd think the pg would get the more minutes, but I feel so good about Gino and feel he'll get a fair amount of minutes, maybe as many pg minutes as Perkins. Perkins will certainly get minutes at the 2 also, which many believe is his best position because he's such a good 3 point shooter. Even though Clark has been in Few's system for a year, I believe that most of the time he's playing with the second team. I don't think he's used to playing with these guys. Rui is the key. If Few starts Rui at the 3 than Clarke will start.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Is everyone else just ignoring this comment or has there been some definitive statement that Geno is all clear and good to go with his graduate transfer? I was shocked when I read this and pointed out summer grades were due August 7th. MileHigh is a reputable source yet nobody else is concerned by this comment. What’s up? Did I miss something?

sittingon50
08-20-2018, 07:48 PM

African or European?

LTownZag
08-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Is everyone else just ignoring this comment or has there been some definitive statement that Geno is all clear and good to go with his graduate transfer? I was shocked when I read this and pointed out summer grades were due August 7th. MileHigh is a reputable source yet nobody else is concerned by this comment. What’s up? Did I miss something?

I'd also like to see any updates about this

willandi
08-20-2018, 09:17 PM
I think the most important thing to Mark Few is winning. For example, I would not expect him to go ten deep in Maui. I expect him to go 8 deep: Rui, Perks, Norvell,Tillie, Kispert, Clarke, Geno, and Petrusive. I'm thinking the starters will be Perkins, Norvell, Kispert, Rui and Tillie. All of these guys played and contributed a lot last year. And four of them started. Yes. I expect Rui to play the 4 in Maui. These guys will have good chemistry because they played together last year, and they know how to run Few's offenses and defenses.

If Larsen's knee is healed, I see him being in the rotation before Filip. He knows the system and the staff knows how well he can play when he is right.

Don't forget JJ either. He is several years into the team and has played some efficient spot minutes, mostly on D or in case of foul trouble, but he also has played.

Reborn
08-21-2018, 06:33 AM
If Larsen's knee is healed, I see him being in the rotation before Filip. He knows the system and the staff knows how well he can play when he is right.

Don't forget JJ either. He is several years into the team and has played some efficient spot minutes, mostly on D or in case of foul trouble, but he also has played.

Yes I have thought about him a lot. And, you are right about him having played for Gonzaga for two years and knows the systems. I iwill not be surprised if he plays, and I won't be surprised if he doesn't. We must remember that there are only so many minutes in a game. I think that this year will be the most competitive year for players to get some of those minutes.

DixieZag
08-23-2018, 02:50 PM

I suspect most, like me, are just going to assume that someway, somehow, it will get done, and then we will scream and gnash our teeth upon hearing we were wrong - if that time ever comes. Until then, we assume it either is or will be done. Where there is a will, and millions of dollars riding on outcomes, there is almost always a way.

Independent study courses, one week, types, can be invented on the fly, etc etc etc.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-23-2018, 04:02 PM
I suspect most, like me, are just going to assume that someway, somehow, it will get done, and then we will scream and gnash our teeth upon hearing we were wrong - if that time ever comes. Until then, we assume it either is or will be done. Where there is a will, and millions of dollars riding on outcomes, there is almost always a way.

Independent study courses, one week, types, can be invented on the fly, etc etc etc.

Hmmm...I can see the just trust it is all a go and if it ends up not being so we can react then, but your flippant remarks about it will get done some how some way sound way too Calipari-ish to me.

Completing the necessary coursework to graduate from the university you are enrolled in would seemingly be a pretty straightforward requirement without having to play around in any gray areas. I am NOT suggesting there is any issue, but the fact a reputable source in MileHigh has stated Geno’s transfer is not a done deal as recently as last week (despite the fact UND summer grades were due August 7) is cause for alarm imho.

DixieZag
08-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Hmmm...I can see the just trust it is all a go and if it ends up not being so we can react then, but your flippant remarks about it will get done some how some way sound way too Calipari-ish to me.

Completing the necessary coursework to graduate from the university you are enrolled in would seemingly be a pretty straightforward requirement without having to play around in any gray areas. I am NOT suggesting there is any issue, but the fact a reputable source in MileHigh has stated Geno’s transfer is not a done deal as recently as last week (despite the fact UND summer grades were due August 7) is cause for alarm imho.

How can my remarks be called "flippant" when there's nothing I can do about it? I should get alarmed? That will serve what purpose?

My "someway, somehow" comment was in no way "Calipari'ish" in any sense. My comment was meant to be that when there are so many people working on something, every single available avenue will be explored, many that might not even be known about - ones available to ANY student who has the means or the smarts to figure out ALL the options available. It's why a team of lawyers can help people get out of jams, and not through cheating, there are often ways around what look to be roadblocks.

Awfully strong comment on your part for a very innocuous statement from me.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-23-2018, 06:26 PM
How can my remarks be called "flippant" when there's nothing I can do about it? I should get alarmed? That will serve what purpose?

My "someway, somehow" comment was in no way "Calipari'ish" in any sense. My comment was meant to be that when there are so many people working on something, every single available avenue will be explored, many that might not even be known about - ones available to ANY student who has the means or the smarts to figure out ALL the options available. It's why a team of lawyers can help people get out of jams, and not through cheating, there are often ways around what look to be roadblocks.

Awfully strong comment on your part for a very innocuous statement from me.

You said “independent study courses can be invented on the fly.” That sounded Calipari like to me. Not trying to attack you. Just think if a player and school are going to publicly announce graduate transfer commitment they should have their ducks in a row first to be assured it can get done. Having to create independent study courses on the fly sounds more UNC than Gonzaga.

Of course this may not be Geno’s Situation at all. I hope it’s not. We have reliable source saying his transfer is not a done deal as of last week. UND academic calendar says summer grades were due August 7th. That is alarming to me; that is all.

DixieZag
08-25-2018, 04:03 PM
You said “independent study courses can be invented on the fly.” That sounded Calipari like to me. Not trying to attack you. Just think if a player and school are going to publicly announce graduate transfer commitment they should have their ducks in a row first to be assured it can get done. Having to create independent study courses on the fly sounds more UNC than Gonzaga.

Of course this may not be Geno’s Situation at all. I hope it’s not. We have reliable source saying his transfer is not a done deal as of last week. UND academic calendar says summer grades were due August 7th. That is alarming to me; that is all.

Okay, well, the single last thing that I want to do is get into an antagonistic discussion with someone I like, so I just will note that the "One week study courses can be invented on the fly" came from personal experience - with me - at GU, my advisor and I made a mistake in calculating which bio electives I needed, and we came up one credit short. He simply gave me a "course" to complete, he had a topic he wanted me to research, it involved 2 recent published journal articles (with some necessary background reading), and I needed to write a paper demonstrating that I understood the ramifications of the findings. That got me my credit.

So, I wasn't trying to sound flippant, I was attempting to emphasize that with so many people working on the problem, generally solutions can be found. That's all.

Peace.

RenoZag
09-27-2018, 06:09 PM
S-R Scribe Jim Meehan posed 4 questions in a brief column today: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/sep/27/four-questions-as-gonzaga-mens-basketball-opens-pr/

His first one was :

How is Perkins’ health?

A healthy Josh Perkins is key to Gonzaga’s backcourt and promising season outlook. He is coming off shoulder surgery – there is no swift recovery from a shoulder operation – but the senior point guard has hit all the benchmarks during his recovery.

Perkins hasn’t played in a live game since the season-ending loss to Florida State last March. The Zags’ primary ball-handler and most experienced player will likely need time to shake off some rust and regain his strength and endurance.

Perkins’ workload and repetitions will be monitored closely, especially early on in practice, so he’s ready for nonconference showdowns, the West Coast Conference schedule and GU’s postseason push.

willandi
09-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Which Zag(s) will the officials get into foul trouble in the NC game to help ____________ (fill in the blank) win the title?