PDA

View Full Version : Rem Bakamus to Baylor as a Grad Assistant

ZagNative
08-14-2018, 07:56 PM
Wow. Who'da thunk it? From Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/1029470128906235904

Darnay Tripp
‏Verified account @DarnayTripp

Congrats to Rem Bakamus, who is headed to Texas to start his coaching career. He will be a grad assistant at Baylor this season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DklpnnDU8AAVPP3.jpg

sittingon50
08-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Good Luck Rem.

basketballzag
08-15-2018, 06:40 AM
Good Luck Rem.

He isn't old enough to retire from the NBA yet Baylor is getting a great coach but better musician.

Birddog
08-15-2018, 06:47 AM
He'll be hangin' with Chip and Joanna before you know it.

DixieZag
08-15-2018, 07:06 AM
Good for him. I'd like to have seen his letter of recommendation from Coach Few bc I'll bet it was simply glowing. He deserves this shot.

I am surprised that Gary Bell didn't go into coaching, but perhaps he is playing ball still, somewhere. I always thought Gary would make a great coach. Few said never had a bad practice.

Argghghgh, stay on topic, even in off-season. Great job, Rem, listen and learn, you can do this.

Zagdawg
08-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Best of luck to Rem -- maybe gets some experience and makes his way back to Spokane in the future.

I think Bell is playing in Greece for Aris.

CDC84
08-15-2018, 08:01 AM
As people know, Gonzaga has been doing their secret scrimmages vs. Baylor since Barnes was let go by Texas and went to Tennessee. I am sure Few said to Scott Drew at some point....."if you are interested in a growing basketball mind there is this guy......" I realize Rem is going to be a grad student, but it sort of reminds me, in a way, of how Stephen Gentry got his start at Texas A&M as a video coordinator when Mark Turgeon was there. Few and Turgeon are close.

Respected head basketball coaches are really good at helping their former players find work or other oppportunities....whether in or outside of basketball. I always remember what former Utah coach Rick Majerus used to tell his Ute players: "This is your chance to find a job. A lot of employers around the Salt Lake community will give a leg up to you for being a ball player. Take advantage of it, and most of all, don't screw it up."

maynard g krebs
08-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Rem's father built a league power and state tourney regular at a rural hs (Longview or Kelso?)that couldn't really recruit, and had to do it w/ the local kids. Great coaching background for a kid.

Walkons are often treated as a source of humor, i.e. basketballzag's posts kidding about Rem, but he was a very good player on a very good hs team who probably could have been a starter on a team like Seattle Pacific if he'd chosen that route. Sounds like he had a plan all along to learn coaching from the best.

GoZAGsMang
08-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Its hard to forget the 3tar and the night when he and Wiltjer put up a combined 45 points.

GoZAGsMang

Bogozags
08-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Its hard to forget the 3tar and the night when he and Wiltjer put up a combined 45 points.

GoZAGsMang

I remember that performance and was amazed at how Coach Few did begin starting Rem as I always thought Rem was the player behind those KW having that monster game! I don't think KW ever had such a successful game again...shouda played Rem...might of helped him score against SMU...

ZagNative
08-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Jim Meehan piece about the move to Baylor here. (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/15/former-gonzaga-walk-on-rem-bakamus-back-in-game-as/)

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2018/08/15/GU_24.JPG_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7041162086f31 df6a374511

GoZags
08-15-2018, 07:50 PM
maybe gets some experience and makes his way back to Spokane in the future.

The Stephen Gentry (and to a certain degree Brian Michaelson) plan. From iconic Gonzaga walk-on to Gonzaga staff .... although Brian's entire coaching career has been in Spokane so he never had to "make his way back".

webspinnre
08-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Noice. Congrats, Rem!

Zagger
08-16-2018, 03:06 AM

GoZAGsMang

Ha! That was great! Rem's going to do well at Baylor - very well I'll bet. He's such a great communicator and has oodles of spirit.