PDA

View Full Version : Build a team for $15

zagfan24
08-14-2018, 06:10 PM
I've seen variations of this with other basketball players and thought it would make for a fun offseason thread:

https://s15.postimg.cc/jyne5qdt7/Snip_Image.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The object is to build the best team, in your opinion, for $15. You are of course free to wildly disagree with my setup of players within the grid. It's not as easy as I had imagined. A few notes:
*I restricted by era to Stockton and beyond, excluding some of the true legends (especially Vermillion and Burgess) who obviously belong on any list of Gonzaga all time greats but made this particular exercise a bit harder. I also didn't know where to add McPhee d/t my own lack of familiarity though he probably belongs on this grid.
*I had to take some liberty with positions to fit the guys in that I would consider recent outstanding players. I'm sure some will shudder to see Harris at the 3 and a few PG's at the 2.
*I excluded current players.
*I spent about 10 minutes compiling this. It isn't perfect, but have at it anyway.

maynard g krebs
08-14-2018, 06:13 PM
I've seen variations of this with other basketball players and thought it would make for a fun offseason thread:

The object is to build the best team, in your opinion, for $15. You are of course free to wildly disagree with my setup of players within the grid. It's not as easy as I had imagined. A few notes:
*I restricted by era to Stockton and beyond, excluding some of the true legends (especially Vermillion and Burgess) who obviously belong on any list of Gonzaga all time greats but made this particular exercise a bit harder. I also didn't know where to add McPhee d/t my own lack of familiarity though he probably belongs on this grid.
*I had to take some liberty with positions to fit the guys in that I would consider recent outstanding players. I'm sure some will shudder to see Harris at the 3 and a few PG's at the 2.
*I spent about 10 minutes compiling this. It isn't perfect, but have at it anyway.

How many players? Just a starting lineup, or a full squad?

zagfan24
08-14-2018, 06:14 PM
How many players? Just a starting lineup, or a full squad?

Sorry - starting lineup.

Hoopaholic
08-14-2018, 07:13 PM
J Stockton. 5 dollars
Karnowski. 4 dollars
Calvary. 3 dollars
Daye. 2 dollars
Santangelo. 1 dollar. What a steal

Offense we have two guards who can manage a variety of pick and roll sets and still be threat
Karnowski we have strong side block presence keeping help honest when engage in strong side pick n roll
Good outside shooting threat
Daye gives offensive rebounding threat

Defensively we plug middle with mountain
2 great weakside to strong side shot blockers
Outfront two very very crafty defending guards

Bring it

LTownZag
08-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Fun game. Our wealth of quality 4/5 players and 1/2 players is evident, making Morrison really stand out. He should cost $6!

Turiaf $3 ($1 less than Karnowski, per/40 stats nearly identical)
Collins $4 (per/40 stats just edge out Sabonis, plus he spreads the floor and costs less)
Morrison $5 (offensive juggernaut, generational talent, far better than the $4 option)
Gray.............................................. .................................................. .....$1
Pangos............................................ .................................................. ....$2

(could just as easily go Bouldin/Santangelo for better Defense at the 1 & 2 spots.)

bigblahla
08-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Sabonis - $5
Williams Goss - $4
Turiaf - $3
Bouldin $2
Downs $1

Micah Downs is one of the most underrated, under used players to ever suit up at GU.... Capt. Matt one of my all time favs.... who had a bigger heart than Turiaf? Williams Goss was a generational college player and The Bonus is a beast... What fun...

Go!! Zags!!!

dhozagfan08
08-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Double pg lineup:
Goss $4
Santangelo $1
Downs $1
Olynyk $5
Collins $4

Spike94
08-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Olynyk
Collins
Stepp
Bouldin
Downs

willandi
08-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Domas
Karno
Frahm
Pangos
Gray

soccerdud
08-14-2018, 10:16 PM
batista $1
sabonis $5
morrison $5
bouldin $2
pangos $2

23dpg
08-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Santangelo $1
NWG $4
AMMO $5
Turiaf $3
Daye $2

I wanted Stockton on the team but Matty S is clearly the best bargain on the board and he and Nigel would be a dynamite backcourt. Adam would be the SF and top scorer. Turiaf was also a great bargain for $3. The last pick was between Daye and Batista. I need another big and clearly Batista was a load but Daye was a very underrated defensive player. He blocked a ton of shots in just two years.
Fun game. If I did it again in the morning my team would look completely different.

cjm720
08-15-2018, 07:05 AM
NWG-$4
Santangelo-$1
Gray-$1
Sabonis-$5
Karno-$4

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-15-2018, 07:34 AM
Stepp $3
Pargo $3
Frahm $3
Calvary $3
Turiaf $3

I was just being a lazy GM at first then decided I like this squad! My three dollar monster squad.

Reborn
08-15-2018, 07:55 AM
Morrison-$5
William-Goss $4
Calvary $3
Sacre $2
Gray $1

Because I have Morrison on the team as the top scorer, I needed some pretty tough defenders. I had to build a team on toughness, because I felt these are some of the toughest players Gonzaga has had, yet they could certainly score. I felt the toughest center was Sacre. I loved him. He was also a leader. Finally he had a great attitude, smile and everyone loved him.

Steven Gray. Certainly is among the toughest Zag guards we have had. The image of blood running down his face in the conference tournament game against St Mary's will stay with me forever. He was one my All-Time favorite Zags. He could also put the ball in the basket and was a great outside shooter. How could I leave Casey Calvary off this unit. He had one of the top 3 baskets in NCAA Tournament when his basket put us in the Elite 8. He was certainly as tough as any Zag who ever put on a Zag uniform. Great rebounder. Yes. I chose William-Goss over Stockton. We are talking about John Stockton at GU. And NWG was the point guard who led The Zags to NCAA Championship game. And my $5 pick is Adam Morrison. My All-Time favorite Zag, and IMO, the player who changed the course of Zag basketball. He put us in a new lane, a higher lane, a faster lane. He opened the door for players who were elite basketball players like him, that would soon become an elite basketball team.

Go Zags!!!

ps This was really fun. Thanks!

JPtheBeasta
08-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Cool idea for a thread!

My team on first blush:
Collins, NWG, Karnowski, Daye, Gray.

You can have 60% of the final four team for cheap enough ($12). Gray spreads the floor and plays good defense. Daye had an insane amount of blocks, is a mismatch at SF, was a good shooter, and played in the NBA. This team is mostly about defense but can score plenty.

It was hard to not to build a team around Ammo. My offense-oriented team would be Bautista, Bonus, Ammo, Bouldin, Pangos.

gonstu
08-15-2018, 08:53 AM
NWG ($4)
Pargo ($3)
Downs ($1)
Wiltjer ($2)
Bonus ($5)

I win. :)

amaronizag
08-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Olynyk $5
Sabonis $5
Wiltjer $2
Pangos $1
Santangelo $1

Grand Valley Zag
08-15-2018, 10:20 AM
I can almost do my all-time team.

Pzremyslaw ($4)
Ronny ($3)
A-Mo ($5)
Gray ($1)
Pangos ($2)

Heck, I have two of the greatest college basketball players of all time, and Ronny, the consummate Zag.

adoptedzag
08-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Olynyk, Sabonis, Morrison. Go 3v5 and still win. Baller.

Bogozags
08-15-2018, 03:27 PM

$5 KO - The best post player ever at GU - creates match-up issues on offence
$2 KW - Excellent scorer inside and out...can defend PF's - forces the PF defender to come "way-out" to guard him
$2 AD - Very good shooter and defender and Rim Protector - will drive opposing SF's nuts with his length and ability to score
$1 SG - Excellent SG and plays SUPER "D" - even when playing excellent defence in shutting down the opponents best back court player, he can still score
$5 JS - The BEST EVER PG in US History - each of the other players are all offensive threats and JS should average 12-16 apg...

All this for only $15!

Oh, by the way, GREAT THREAD! THANKS!!!

thespywhozaggedme
08-15-2018, 03:46 PM
No Heytvelt?

NotoriousZ
08-15-2018, 04:00 PM
C-Collins-$4
PF-Turiaf-$3
SF-Ammo-$5
SG-Pangos-$2
PG-Santangelo-$1

I also like having two point guards on the court. This was fun, thanks! But give me E. Knight for $1 and Id have to rethink some stuff.

maynard g krebs
08-15-2018, 11:02 PM
Morrison 5
Sabonis 5
Calvary 3
Gray1
Santangelo 1

or:
Morrison 5
Collins 4
Calvary 3
Daye 2
Santangelo 1

zagfan24
08-16-2018, 03:29 AM
No Heytvelt?

He should probably be on there...knew I would miss somebody going off the top of my head. Other guys that were really tough to leave off in addition to McPhee were Violette, Knight, and Raivio. Add on Heytvelt and you could make quite a team out of those 5.

caldwellzag
08-16-2018, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the work you put in here, it should be fun.

C Turiaf $3
PF Calvary $3
SF Harris $4
SG Pargo $3
PG Pangos $2

I really thought about taking the entire team from the $3 column.

thespywhozaggedme
08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
He should probably be on there...knew I would miss somebody going off the top of my head. Other guys that were really tough to leave off in addition to McPhee were Violette, Knight, and Raivio. Add on Heytvelt and you could make quite a team out of those 5.

Heytvelt dropped 30+ on Psycho T and UNC in the Garden. he is a HUGE miss on this list.

Birddog
08-16-2018, 09:10 AM
I'm in for $10

C Batista $1
PG Santangelo $1
PF Wiltjer $2
SF Frahm $3
SG Pargo $3

Now I've got $5 for dessert.

zagfan24
08-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Heytvelt dropped 30+ on Psycho T and UNC in the Garden. he is a HUGE miss on this list.

He should. Like I said in the OP, did this in 10 minutes off the top of my head thinking itd be fun. Its a testament to the litany of greats that I spaced on one of them. Thanks for pointing it out...a second time. :)

thespywhozaggedme
08-16-2018, 09:22 AM
He should. Like I said in the OP, did this in 10 minutes off the top of my head thinking it’d be fun. It’s a testament to the litany of greats that I spaced on one of them. Thanks for pointing it out...a second time. :)

I do appreciate this thread, it is a great idea. Thanks for posting it

mattydog73
08-16-2018, 03:42 PM

John Stockton 5.00 I mean, it's frigging John Stockton...come on.

Olynyk 5.00 Pair with JS, these two would run their own two man, pick, pop, roll all day.

Turiaf 3.00 Cleans the glass, rebounds, protects the rim and owns backside help on all those Stockton to Olynyk pick and rolls....and he throws down monster jams

Gray 1.00 Great 2 guard with size, who can launch threes or attack the rim, good defender, good rebounding guard.

Downs 1.00 Excellent athlete, good from three, excellent slasher, shot blocker, rebounds well.